Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:04 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:09 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

If this is not the right section for this topic, I apologize in advance.
Also I'm a complete novice about linux.
I'm considering installing AOS and Linux in my 101IT, because there's a specific stiff I want to do with it.
I want to install modular sound design/dsp tool called Pd(Pure Data), which is free and has Win, OSX and Linux versions, with 101.
From Pd community site, I found Pd-extended would be the best choice since it comes as various Linux types.

http://puredata.info/downloads/pd-extended

But then I got confused while I was looking at the versions.

There are Debian versions for lenny i386 and squeeze i386,
Ubuntu versions for Maverick, Hardy, Lucid and Karmic.
Also there's a simple Linux version (with a penguin icon) described as Slackware SlackBuildScript.

Because I have not much knowledge about linux, can anyone give me an advice?
if I install Debian or Ubuntu, would any of those versions work?
Which one would be my best bet?

Would 101's sound chip work stable with linux driver at this moment?

Sorry for many questions :)
Any advice will be appreciated!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:22 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

You can get Ubuntu working on an A101, but it is not a task for a non-technical user. To install PD, you'd have to compile it from source on your device, or with a suitable cross-compiler environment -- none of the binary packages will work, as they're for x86, not for ARM.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:49 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

jfmcbrayer wrote:
You can get Ubuntu working on an A101, but it is not a task for a non-technical user. To install PD, you'd have to compile it from source on your device, or with a suitable cross-compiler environment -- none of the binary packages will work, as they're for x86, not for ARM.

Ah, I see. It means there's not much i would do with my tablet if I install linux at this moment. It's sad but it resolves my question :) Thanks!

Then does it mean that there are not many Linux softwares to install on Gen8 tablet with linux?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:28 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

w0nman wrote:
Then does it mean that there are not many Linux softwares to install on Gen8 tablet with linux?

Well, if you manage to install the ARM version of, say, Ubuntu or Fedora, you will get access to everything in their repositories, which is quite a bit of software. You'll also be able to install gcc, autotools, etc., so you should be able to recompile most programs for which you have the source code, though it may take quite a while. If you're used to installing binaries from somewhere other than your distribution's repositories, though, you're out of luck.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:55 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Ubuntu on A43/A101 is working fairly well, you can use everything except for the GPU (which you may be able to get working with libraries, need to do more research). Audio does work so you can use VLC or whatever other player you prefer. You can use anything that is compiled for ARM or can be compiled for ARM, I've built several source packages on the device and it works pretty well.