Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:54 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: UrukDroid 1.5
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:26 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

_Very impressed with Uruk 1.5_

I had installed 0.7 and it was not more stable than Archos 2.1.08, on which it was based so I switched back to the stock firmwares.

But Archos has really lost the bubble on their own stock code after 2.1.08. All subsequent stock firmwares were so unstable and unreliable as to be unusable, on my A32, A43, A70, and A101. I had constant reboot loops, including when the devices were completely powered off. Every time I picked up an Archos device that had been unplugged a couple of days it was dead, from turning itself on then hanging or reboot looping until it was dead. There were constant force closes, on all types of apps to include (most often) core Android components. Wifi and Bluetooth would not turn off and on reliably and it usually took 3 or 4 fresh boots, followed by a couple of rounds of "App Killer", to get a system stable enough to use. Then it would usually crash after a few minutes of using any "long endurance" application, such as Pandora, My Tracks, etc. In short, none of the Gen 8 devices were useable with the stock firmware.

So I went back to Uruk and installed 1.5 and its like having brand new tablets. No crashes, no reboot loops, no constant hangs - just a reliable Android experience.

Archos should scrap their own code base and start over with Uruk 1.5. I'm afraid, however, that we aren't going to see much more development on Gen 8 at all, so its up to the hacker community to make them useful.

Post subject: Re: UrukDroid 1.5
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:41 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Funny, i have more hangs and reboots with Uruk then with the stock fw .
Especially wifi isn't as reliable with uruk.

Post subject: Re: UrukDroid 1.5
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:47 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

So did I, with versions prior to 1.1. Didn't try 1.2-1.4.

Still mysterious to me how people's experiences are so different. Makes me think there are un-detected hardware revisions.