Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:22 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:48 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hello.

I would appreciate some help please regarding this.

I have followed all directions exactly but I seem to get stuck at Step 5. With my Archos70 connected, when I try 'adb devices' my device is not showing. What am I missing? I'm running Win7 Pro by the way.

Thanks.
P.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:44 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

OK, I have made some progress but now I'm stuck on editing init.rc. I forgot to mention that I'm trying the non-wipe method btw.

Here's a few remarks on the whole process, I guess in an attempt to aid other newbies like myself (especially Windows users) and then I'll get to my issue:

1. It should be mentioned somewhere that for Windows users the Archos ADB USB Driver should be installed first (http://www.archos.com/support/support_t ... us&lang=en). Also as the instructions there don't make it quite clear, I had to create adb_usb.ini and paste Archos' info there.

2. ADB needs to be run from a command prompt. Don't expect it to run by double clicking it (I know 'duh' for some).

3. ADB shell: WAIT FOR '#' BEFORE ISSUING EACH COMMAND!

And here's where I'm stuck, editing init.rc.

The guide instructs to 'pull' the file and then edit it using notepad. So where is it placed in order to be opened in notepad?!! Also, can someone please confirm that the orginal init.rc (to be edited) is placed in '/'? Cause I've tried copying that to my internal memory, opening it and editing it, saving it and then copying it back (using File Expert, as Root Explorer is not free) but each time I restart my Archos, the file seems to revert back to its original configuration.

So, that's about it I guess. I just have to figure out how to edit init.rc and then (hopefully) I'm set!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:55 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

OK, FINALLY!

Here's what I did for the last part and it worked!

I copied/pasted init.rc to /sdcard using my usual file manager (ES File Explorer). Opened it using ESFE's own editor, made the changes and saved.

Back to ADB:

adb shell
su
mv /sdcard/init.rc /init.rc

reboot and VOILA!

Thanks for a great guide, hopefully other newbs like me will find my remarks helpful and save themselves some time!

Cheers!
P.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:22 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I'm getting stuck on: mount /dev/block/mmcblk1p2 /tmp/new-data. It tells me failed: no such file or directory. I'm using adbwireless to enter the commands. Do I need to reformat and try again?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:04 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

I'm rooting for the first time. I'm stuck on step 3 of the Wipe method. I created my partitions and all seemed OK but when I went to Flash Kernel and Initramfs, I couldn't see the 2GB partition that now has the system. I can only see a 12MB partition. I went back to partition wizard and I think the problem is that a drive letter was not assigned. That might have been because all the drives on my system were in use. I unplugged the card reader to free up some letters and labeled the partition hoping that would resolve it but it didn't. The option to assign a drive letter is greyed out. In partition wizard it shows

Capacity Used Unused File System Type Status
M:A43 12.51BGB 16.14MB 12.49GB FAT32 Primary None
*:A43_SyAp 1.93GB 70.62MB 1.86GB EXT3 Primary None
*: 13.61MB 0 B 13.61MB Unallocated Primary None

Now I'm stuck. Can I reformat or something and wipe out my partitions and start over? If not is there a way to fix it in Partition Wizard?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:35 pm 

When you are in the recovery trying to drop in those two files, you shouldn't see your 2GB partition. It will be a very small partition that shows up, it's only meant for those two files.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:51 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Tried for 3 days and couldn't get pass Damaged Internal Storage message. Finally gave up and went with Urukdroid and it worked the first time for me. Not sure why this process wouldn't work. Thanks for all your effort anyway.

One recommendation would be to suggest people download root explorer before starting the process and back up the apk. If I had done that instead of having to go thru ADB maybe I could have gotten through it and it would have saved a lot time researching, downloading and installing the SDK just to get adb.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:52 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

What about using symlinks with Chulri's ROMs? Would that survive an update?
I'm going to try this once the new .65 comes out.

Format storage at ext3
created folders somewhere under the storage for some of the bigger folders that are under /data (like the dalvik cache) that can survive being removed and relinked while the system is running (dalvik-cache regens on next boot i believe).
Created a symlink to my new folders and reboot.

I download terminal emulator on some display honeycomb tablets at a store in my area and noticed that the/data and the internal storage share a partition, they're just different folders under it. So they have the full space to be able to fill with apps or files.

EDIT: Should have provided what the final would look like:
/data/dalkvik-cache would be a symlink of /mnt/storage/dalvik-cache.
Any space that dalvik-cache uses would come out of the internal storage instead of from the /data partition.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:59 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

rovaals wrote:

Format storage at ext3
created folders somewhere under the storage for some of the bigger folders that are under /data (like the dalvik cache) that can survive being removed and relinked while the system is running (dalvik-cache regens on next boot i believe).

I download terminal emulator on some display honeycomb tablets at a store in my area and noticed that the/data and the internal storage share a partition, they're just different folders under it. So they have the full space to be able to fill with apps or files.

Any space that dalvik-cache uses would come out of the internal storage instead of from the /data partition.

I found a guide that does what I'm talking about. They talk about creating an ext2 partition on the sd card and moutning it yourself, but I would be just setting my whole internal storage to ext 3 or whatever it was that archos gave us the ability to reformat our internal storage as. I think I'll keep the dalvik where it is and move individual apks. This guide gives a good explanation about what each of the folders in /data are for (app for source apks, data for app data, dalvik-cache for the actual compiled packages)
http://android.modaco.com/topic/331205-guide-how-to-get-more-free-space-for-your-apps

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:55 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

rovaals wrote:
rovaals wrote:

Format storage at ext3

I found a guide that does what I'm talking about. They talk about creating an ext2 partition on the sd card and moutning it yourself, but I would be just setting my whole internal storage to ext 3 or whatever it was that archos gave us the ability to reformat our internal storage as. I think I'll keep the dalvik where it is and move individual apks. This guide gives a good explanation about what each of the folders in /data are for (app for source apks, data for app data, dalvik-cache for the actual compiled packages)
http://android.modaco.com/topic/331205-guide-how-to-get-more-free-space-for-your-apps

Didn't work :? I think the problem may have been that the internal storage gets mounted too late in the boot process (in the init.rc?) so it has no /data/app folder (or /data/dalvik-cache folder) when it needs it.
I guess I'll just follow Harfainx's guide, as it looks good and doesn't require me to format my whole media storage as ext3.

Note: I tried Uruk 1.5 yesterday and didn't really like it. I would rather just take the stock with root and rw system and chop out what I don't want. My biggest problem was that firmwares before 2.4.19 gave me black screen problems (screen won't turn back on after display sleeps) and 1.5 was based on Archos's firmware 2.3.something. Then trying to update to 1.6RC1 didn't work and actually froze my device... so I'll just stick with rooted stock.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:16 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hello Harfainx and all.

I am new here and want your help.
I followed all the steps but in the end i face the same problem that u mentioned in the of HOW TO. Internal storage damaged . I tried too many times, repeating the steps but no luck.

Also please tell me that, in Step 5, do we need to go in developer mode or android mode to change the script through Root Explorer?

Thanks in advance

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:32 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

I've completed this hack and have an approx 2gig appspace with 2.4.19.

Now I'm ready to upgrade to 2.4.65 but I'm wondering if there's a special way I have to upgrade to keep my partitions intact. I am not concerned really about keeping root, as the appspace was all I wanted.

Can someone let me know if there's any special way I need to upgrade or can I just do the standard update and keep my partition sizes intact?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:55 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Perfect! Thanks. I guess I should have gone back and read that. I didn't remember that being in there.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:59 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

jasdjensen,

If you decide to update the firmware, please post your results.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:34 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

If anyone is uncomfortable with updating the firmware to a newer version, you can eliminate those pesky Archos update notifications by deleting /system/app/Daos.apk.
I moved it to the SD card in case I ever want to put it back.

Thanks to the UrukDroid Wiki for this.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:31 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Quote:
cp -a /data/* /tmp/new-data/

Is it possible (or safe) to delete the original /data/* to free up some space?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:19 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Looks like my Archos hangs at step 7. It reboots, but hangs and keeps showing the Archos boot screen. All previous steps went okay. The Archos can boot into the default system, but hangs when booting the rooted system. I've tried a few times and have to reformat to get things back to normal. And start over to try again. Looks like the change in init.rc might be the cause. I have a FAT32 partition and created a ext3 or the data.

If anyone has a solution, please let me know.

EDIT: problem solved. Root wasn't 100%.

Last edited by birdie on Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:33 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

OK.. All goes smoothly in terms of the new app space and all performed on 2x units (close call with the 1st one)..

Only have one issue that is more frustrating than anything else..

Everytime power on or reboot, timezone resets to GMT (0), and have to reset to MST (-7)..

Minor issue I know, but rather annoying..
Issue is with Archos 70, and only affecting after the last step (After modifying the .rc file)..
Latest ROM's and the RW Inframs.. Any assistance would be appreciated.
Thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:49 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Well, a great big thank you to Harfainx and the others who have provided assistance on this technique. I've been trying to live within the originally-allocated app storage space for a long time, but it finally got to be too much. I'm sure UrukDroid is great, but I wanted to start out with the system version (2.1.08) that has proven quite stable and trouble-free for a while now. Lots of steps to follow (in terms of things to download/install) but seems to be working great so far. I used Chulri's root method and created a 1.5GB partition for app space using the "no wipe" option.

I wanted to comment on one thing that wasn't clear (to me) from reading the OP. The OP mentions that you can keep the Android Kernel if you like. What I didn't realize is that when you boot into the Android Kernel instead of SDE, the old (non-expanded) app partition is used. Meaning, if you had originally moved lots of your apps to internal storage (as I did) in order to save space, but then moved them back into your brand-new expanded app storage space, you will no longer be able to use those apps when booting the Android Kernel. The part that had been moved to internal storage is no longer there, so you basically have a bunch of partial, non-functioning apps in your original app space.

Does it matter? Not really I guess. I had thought I'd be able to use my system mostly in the Android Kernel, booting to SDE only when I needed root. Now it looks as though I'll need to be running SDE all the time in order to use my expanded app space. Perhaps it's silly, but I thought that running an unrooted kernel most of the time would afford an extra measure of protection against malicious software.

I still think that Archos should have provided a way to expand our app space, but I've pretty much given up on Archos giving us anything new (I suppose it's theoretically possible we will get Gingerbread, but I'm not holding my breath). Thankfully there is a community coming up with these excellent workarounds and enhancements to fill in where Archos has dropped the ball!

P.S., regarding Infopumper's comment, so far my time zone has not reset upon reboot. Then again, I'm running an older firmware.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:04 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Still quite happy with the results here, but I am curious about something. Let's say I decide to give UrukDroid a try after all. Will that nuke the app partition I created? Will I essentially be wiping the tablet and starting from scratch (although I guess Titanium Backup might ease the burden a bit)?

I have taken a look at the UrukDroid Wiki and it doesn't seem to cover using a pre-existing expanded partition. The "Advanced EasyInstall" asks you to choose between resizing the existing partition and formatting and creating new partitions, and in this case I'm not sure I would want to do either.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next