Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:01 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:17 pm 

Can you get up to that step? Are you able to su and get there, are you freezing there? Is your ADB working for other functions?

I need more information from you before I can point you in the right direction.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:29 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

after hours and hours of search , i got it working finally!!

I used qtADB to run the mkdir and cp command and it worked like a charm (http://qtadb.com/)

now i have 1.6 GB of App Space ..

Thanks to Harfainx and everyone ,this is just awesome :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:28 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

@Harfainx

Are you going to post here on the steps to update - like what steps we don't have to do?

Thanks,

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:35 pm 

Yes I'm sorry I haven't already. I won't be able to until ~5:30pm my time today (Alaska time, so 9:30pm EST)

I've noticed though that Ach already stated that once he updated the firmware and applied Chulri's root method, their data partition came back without any problems.

Quote:
Just saw that Chulri already put up the root for this new firmware... and I already put it on my device, in which it automatically restored all my old features including the larger apps partition.
AWESOME!!!

I have to check it out to verify, but if that's all you need to do, then it should be no problem to update.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:37 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Harfainx wrote:
Yes I'm sorry I haven't already. I won't be able to until ~5:30pm my time today (Alaska time, so 9:30pm EST)

I've noticed though that Ach already stated that once he updated the firmware and applied Chulri's root method, their data partition came back without any problems.

Quote:
Just saw that Chulri already put up the root for this new firmware... and I already put it on my device, in which it automatically restored all my old features including the larger apps partition.
AWESOME!!!

I have to check it out to verify, but if that's all you need to do, then it should be no problem to update.

I tried this, and ended up with a very unstable system. I just did a full wipe and followed your guide!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:05 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Everything is good Except the Damaged Storage error. Whenever I do the reset media storage thing, it repartitions the drive.

EDIT: Nope, now i've got a 1.5mb /data partition. Could it be an issue with changing 0p2 to 1p2?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:40 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

taylorabc wrote:
Everything is good Except the Damaged Storage error. Whenever I do the reset media storage thing, it repartitions the drive.

EDIT: Nope, now i've got a 1.5mb /data partition. Could it be an issue with changing 0p2 to 1p2?

This is exactly what happened to me. Got it to "work" on the first try, but had a 1.8mb data partition. I was able to start over and get everything back to "normal," but now I cannot get past the repartitioning stage without getting the "internal storage is damaged" message. grrr :cry:

It appears that people were able to update to the new firmware AFTER already having resized the partition, has anyone been successful doing it for the FIRST time with the new firmware?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:52 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

valpospe wrote:
taylorabc wrote:

This is exactly what happened to me. Got it to "work" on the first try, but had a 1.8mb data partition. I was able to start over and get everything back to "normal," but now I cannot get past the repartitioning stage without getting the "internal storage is damaged" message. grrr :cry:

It appears that people were able to update to the new firmware AFTER already having resized the partition, has anyone been successful doing it for the FIRST time with the new firmware?

I gave up this morning and installed Uruk1.5. MUCH better.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:49 pm 

Oddly enough, the firmware update without losing partition size is very easy as long as you don't allow your system to boot into the default OS before finishing the process.

The guide has been updated, new part is near the bottom.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:05 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

You, Mr Harfainx, are a genius! 8) Total control over my /data partition size.

and, oh, so simple. System running rooted 2.4.19 with 1.5GB app space. Now, back to install all those games I had to keep removing from my 101it before resizing.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:36 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thanks Harfainx for the tips!

I tried many times but unsuccessful and received the "damaged media" message or the 2mb low disk space for applications.

FINALLY, after several hours, I succeeded!

This is how i did it. After resizing and creating an 1.xx gb ext3 partition for applications, I went on to format the remainder 5.xx gb FAT32 storage partition and changed it into ext3.

RESULT :

No more "damaged media" messages.

Available storage : 5.20gb (ext3)
Reserved for Applications : 1.41gb (ext3)

Note : Since the 5.20 gb storage area is in ext3 format, in general, you will not be able to access it using windowsxp when you plug in the usb port. (There might be some softwares created for windows to access ext3 format partition and drives but i think it is still work in progress so i don't know how good it is. You can google to find the software.)

Otherwise, you will need puppy linux or ubuntu linux if you want to access the files in the ext3 storage.

Within android, you can of course use any file managers to see the folders created into this storage area by installed applications. You can copy to and fro between sd card and this storage area.

For me, I think it is worthwhile to make the storage partition into ext3 because now, I can have a huge 1.41 gb space reserved for applications!

Hope this helps!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:26 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

just want to remind those who want to apply what I did - convert the storage space reserved for storage of files created by applications from fat32 to ext3 , - back up the contents to the SD card (or to your desktop with linux) first.

format ing will wipe away everything.

finally, do at your own risk.

it seems like archos does not like the media drive to have 2 partitions with different formats. it has to be both fat32 or both ext3. it will report 'damaged drive' if the 2 partitions are format differently. but since we need 1 partition to be reserved for installations of applications, we need to use ext3.

correct me if I'm wrong - if someone managed to have fat32 for 1 partition and ext3 for the other partition.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:55 pm 

I use FAT32 for my primary partition, and EXT3 for my data. For some reason it shows up as damaged sometimes, but I found that using a 1.5GB or below data partition stops that from happening most of the time.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:55 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hello Everyone!

I've rooted Archos 101 with increased app space (2GB) setCPU 1000max - 3000min , No major issues so far.

I have a basic question though, What are the steps to update the firmware without loosing any data ?

I read somewhere that updating firmware from Archos simply wipe the extra partitions and use the default one.

Whats the work around for this situation ?

Cheers!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:10 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

oh i didnt read your last message Harfainx.

I see the method to update firmware without loosing partition already there. I will be trying soon and update this post.

Thanks !

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:04 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Not sure what I did - stuck a blinking loop of the Archos boot screen. I can boot to recovery and have tried to load the firmware again. still in the boot loop.

Any suggestions to try?

Was I supposed to see the firmware update white bar across the boot screen during this process?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:27 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

HY

I get stuck after step4.
I don't have root explorer, I downloaded from internet and try to put on the tablet...when cable connecting my PC don't find the tablet to access it in order to copy the rootexplorer.apk

I have done everything correct up to this step. I use for formating the partition magic in windows making a partition ex3 about 1,3 gigabites.

Please help me.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:24 pm 

burceavc wrote:
HY

I get stuck after step4.
I don't have root explorer, I downloaded from internet and try to put on the tablet...when cable connecting my PC don't find the tablet to access it in order to copy the rootexplorer.apk

I have done everything correct up to this step. I use for formating the partition magic in windows making a partition ex3 about 1,3 gigabites.

Please help me.

So if I'm right, you formatted the new partition, and you rebooted into Android. Then you're trying to connect your Archos to your PC, but it isn't bringing up any notification about being connected? Were you able to connect your device to your PC before? It should just connect right up without any problems when you plug it into a USB port of a computer. Do you have the right drivers installed (if you're on a Windows system)?

Any background info that you can give from before you did the partition would help. I'll try to get back to you quickly, as I have today off work (spine injections yesterday, yay).

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:00 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

So

Here I am back.
I just redone the step 4 same as first time. But I realize that when I format the drive I format the partition 1,3 gb that I wanted to use as system in ext3 and the other remanning space was FAT32, so I also format the remaning space about 5,xx gb in ext3 also.

I finish the step exactly as it is there
Now the system start normally. I downloaded the rootexplorer.apk from the internet ....I copy to my SD card (through the laptop port) ....I put the SD card into tablet ...i go to file program which is default....I install the rootexplorer program. Up to this I am ok I think

i run the program after all the questions regarding to root...permission ..etc and I acces the init.rc with open in text-----I dont have the option open in text editor.

Again I am stuck here.
May be I need the root explorer PRO or something else to activate the editing function.

I run in Windows yes/ but I have also UBUNTU (I am not so expert in linux)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:21 pm 

Long-press on the init.rc file instead of just opening it. The menu is kind of long, and I think the option is the fourth from the bottom. Should be "Open in Text Editor".

If you formatted your system into EXT3, that would be why your Windows machine isn't seeing your Archos now. Windows by default does not have drivers for EXT3 formats. There are a few options out there, but it's kind of annoying to work with on Windows. I would suggest using your Ubuntu machine if you plan on keeping the system in EXT3.

I just use the Root Explorer from the market, I don't think I've ever seen a "Pro" version of it (or maybe the paid version is the "Pro" version?).

Hopefully you can get this sorted quickly, sorry about the trouble.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next