Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:25 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:37 am 

---------------------- Guide has been updated for updating from one firmware to another, see near the bottom of the guide ----------------------

This guide is for people that want more app space, but don't want to use UrukDroid for whatever reason.
UrukDroid is a great ROM, but some people just want to either use the stock ROM, or the latest firmware.
These methods do require a computer.

Standard Disclaimer: I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE THAT MAY HAPPEN TO YOUR DEVICE FROM ROOTING AND MAKING CHANGES!

On each of these methods, you must have SDE installed! Don't worry about rooting if you plan on wiping for an upgrade (You don't have to wipe).
SDE Link: http://www.archos.com/support/support_t ... s_dev.html
Root Link: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=930197 (Use the +rw version)

You will also need the Android SDK for the non-wipe method, and a basic knowledge of how to get the SDK setup and working (there is plenty of information around this forum, and on the SDK page for it, please don't ask here about it).
http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html

After installing the SDE (and rooting if you don't plan on wiping), download the partition manager (for Windows) :
http://www.partitionwizard.com/download.html

You must also remove your micro-sd card if you have one.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Before we begin, I would like to mention, and thank the people that helped me figure out the best way to do this.
Members over on XDA who deserve credit for this: Chulri, wdl1908, and Dark Dragon (for the partition tool)

I performed both of these methods on my device as I typed this, so everything should work.

There are two methods, one that wipes your system and one that doesn't. Please read them through, and decide which you want to perform. You only need to do one.

These may seem difficult, but just read carefully, and follow each step exactly. You shouldn't have any problems if done correctly.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WIPE METHOD (INCLUDES A FULL WIPE INCASE YOU WANT TO UPDATE)
This method DOES NOT require ADB, just a computer to move files. You can use Root Explorer for this method

Backup whatever you plan on keeping if you want to wipe for whatever reason (You do not need to wipe!) If you don't want to wipe, move on to the next method listed!

Don't worry about rooting if you're planning on using this method. This method will wipe all of your internal storage.

Ensure that you download the newest firmware:
http://update.archos.com/8/gen8/gen8_2. ... d_gen8.aos

Step 1: Reboot and hold Vol-
Format System -> Reformat Device... -> I Understand
Drop the new firmware onto the root of the device when it gets to the "Recovery" menu
At this same time, I create a folder named "Software" (name doesn't matter, just what I use), and I drop gAppInstaller_v5, my Archos plugins, and other apps into it.

Once installed, the screen will flash, hold Vol- immediately (this way it doesn't boot into Android)! If it does manage to boot into Android, just power down and go on to step 2.

Step 2: Reboot and hold Vol- (You don't have to allow it to restart to Android)
Recovery System -> Repair System -> Start USB MSC
Connect your device to your computer and start your partition manager
Find your disc on there. Mine is 8GB, so it shows up as a 6.95GB drive.
Highlight the drive and select "Move/Resize"
Uncheck "Using Enhanced Data Protecting Mode"
From the right side of the bar, shrink down to the left for the amount of storage you want for apps (so the number in the "Unallocated Space After" reads your desired number. I used 2000MB this time. You can type the number in, but you have to type in the "Partition Size" number and lower that, you don't want any unallocated space before (on the left).
My numbers currently read:
Code:
Unallocated Space Before: 0.00 MB
Partition Size: 5119.99 MB
Unallocated Space After: 2000 MB

Press OK when you decide on ho much space you want for apps (the Unallocated space will be your app space).
Highlight your new "(Unallocated") partition. Press "Create".
Make sure you set it as Primary, and Ext3, and do not adjust the "Size and Location".
Code:
Create As: Primary
File System: Ext3
Cluster Size: Default

Press OK.
Press "Apply" -> "Yes"
You should see some information bars, and then it will update the partition size. Then it will tell you "Apply all the pending changes successfully." Press OK

Close your Partition program.

Step 3: On your Archos device, press the power button to hit "ok"
Navigate to Developer Edition Menu -> Flash Kernel and Initramfs -> Drop your initramfs.cpio.gz and zImage that you downloaded (from the root link near the top of the guide) into the drive on your computer.
Press the power button on your Archos device for "ok"
Press the power button on your Archos device to restart
Immediately hold down the Vol-

Step 4: This step will allow you to always boot into Developer Edition (your rooted, modified version). This does not cause any harm to your system, and the kernel can be replaced by reflashing the Archos firmware. You can skip this if you want to choose which version to boot to.
Recovery System -> Developer Edition Menu -> Remove Android Kernel -> I Understand
Reboot

Step 5: Perform a very basic setup, don't worry about actually configuring anything.
This is where you can use Root Explorer, or ADB. You only need one or the other.
ÔÇó With Root Explorer: Open Root Explorer and long-press on init.rc. Scroll down and "Open in Text Editor". Edit the following line:
Code:
mount ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk0p4 /data noatime nosuid

to
Code:
mount ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p2 /data noatime nosuid

*The only change is from "0p4" to "1p2"
Press Menu -> Save and Exit (it will make a backup)

OR

ÔÇó With ADB: First go to Settings -> Applications -> Development -> Check USB debugging
Open your ADB, ensure your device is connected, and issue
Code:
adb pull init.rc

Open the init.rc file for editing in a regular text editing program (Notepad works fine). Edit the same line that is listed above, ensuring to change the right line only.
Issue the command
Code:
adb push init.rc /sdcard/init.rc

Now ensure that your Archos screen is on and perform
Code:
adb shell
su

Allow SuperUser permissions
Issue the command
Code:
mv /sdcard/init.rc /init.rc

Step 6: Reboot into Developer Edition (or just reboot if you did step 4)
Go through the full setup this time, as how you would for a normal setup.

Step 7: Settings -> Storage -> Scroll to the bottom and see your amazing app size! (For this example, I'm left with 1.75GB of app space)

NO WIPE METHOD (NO DATA LOSS AT ALL)
This method DOES require ADB!

Step 1: Ensure you're rooted with the +rw kernel (from the link at the top of the guide)
If you haven't done it already (and you want to), you can set your device up to boot into your developer edition automatically by removing the Android Kernel.
Code:
Recovery System -> Developer Edition Menu -> Remove Android Kernel -> I Understand
Reboot

This is not required, but does not hurt your system.

Step 2: Reboot and hold Vol- (You don't have to allow it to restart to Android)
Recovery System -> Repair System -> Start USB MSC
Connect your device to your computer and start your partition manager
Find your disc on there. Mine is 8GB, so it shows up as a 6.95GB drive.
Highlight the drive and select "Move/Resize"
Uncheck "Using Enhanced Data Protecting Mode"
From the right side of the bar, shrink down to the left for the amount of storage you want for apps (so the number in the "Unallocated Space After" reads your desired number. I used 2000MB this time. You can type the number in, but you have to type in the "Partition Size" number and lower that, you don't want any unallocated space before.
My numbers currently read:
Code:
Unallocated Space Before: 0.00 MB
Partition Size: 5119.99 MBUnallocated Space After: 2000 MB

Press OK when you decide on ho much space you want for apps (the Unallocated space will be your app space).
Highlight your new "(Unallocated") partition. Press "Create". Make sure you set it as Primary, and Ext3, and do not adjust the "Size and Location".
Code:
Create As: Primary
File System: Ext3
Cluster Size: Default

Press OK.
Press "Apply" -> "Yes"
You should see some information bars, and then it will update the partition size. Then it will tell you "Apply all the pending changes successfully." Press OK

Close your Partition program.

Step 3: Boot into Developer Edition (or just boot if you removed the Android Kernel).
Make sure you DO NOT have an sd-card in, and TURN OFF WIFI!

Step 4: To repeat Make sure you DO NOT have an sd-card in, and TURN OFF WIFI!
Go into Settings -> Applications -> Development -> Check USB debugging

Step 5: System Monitor -> Stop all programs
Go to your computer and navigate yourself to your ADB
Use "adb devices" to ensure that your device is showing.
Issue the command
Code:
adb shell
su

You should now have a "#"

*NOTE* On the next block of commands, your Archos device will be frozen. This is supposed to happen, after the "start" command at the bottom of the block, everything will return to normal.
Now issue the following commands
Code:
stop
mkdir /tmp/new-data
mount /dev/block/mmcblk1p2 /tmp/new-data
cp -a /data/* /tmp/new-data/
sync
start

You might have to wait a bit after the "cp" line and the "sync" line. They take some time, especially if you have a lot of apps, or a few large apps.
After the "start" command, your Archos will flash the "Archos" logo, and then reload like normal (it should only take 5-10 seconds).

Step 6: Now you can use either a root file explorer (Root Explorer) or ADB, your choice. You only need to use one or the other.
ÔÇó With Root Explorer: Open Root Explorer and long-press on init.rc. Scroll down and "Open in Text Editor". Edit the following line:
Code:
mount ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk0p4 /data noatime nosuid

to
Code:
mount ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p2 /data noatime nosuid

*The only change is from "0p4" to "1p2"
Press Menu -> Save and Exit (it will make a backup)

OR

ÔÇó With ADB: Open your ADB, ensure your device is connected, and issue
Code:
adb pull init.rc

Open the init.rc file for editing in a regular text editing program (Notepad works fine). Edit the same line that is listed above, ensuring to change the right line only.
Issue the command
Code:
adb push init.rc /sdcard/init.rc

Now ensure that your Archos screen is on and perform
Code:
adb shell
su

Allow SuperUser permissions
Issue the command
Code:
mv /sdcard/init.rc /init.rc

Step 7: Reboot into Developer Edition (or just reboot if you removed Android Kernel).
Settings -> Storage -> Scroll to the bottom and see your amazing app size! (For this example, I'm left with 1.75GB of app space)

UPDATING FROM AN OLD VERSION WITHOUT LOSING PARTITION SIZE!

{READ THE FULL GUIDE BEFORE STARTING IT!} YOU DO NOT WANT TO ALLOW YOUR SYSTEM TO RESTART INTO THE REGULAR ANDROID OS DURING THIS WHOLE PROCESS!

Step 1: Download the new firmware and transfer it to your Archos root directory (not on the SD card, or in any folders)

Step 2: Allow your system to reboot to update

Step 3: DO NOT allow your system to reboot fully into the Android OS after install finishes!
HOLD THE VOLUME DOWN AS SOON AS THE SYSTEM FLASHES AFTER UPDATE
(Reboot into Recovery)

Step 4: Download the new root files from Chulri (from the link at the top of this guide) (+rw files)

Step 5: In the Recovery Menu -> Developer Edition Menu -> Flash Kernel and Initramfs
Transfer the root files and allow the system to update
BEFORE REBOOTING you have two options.
ÔÇó Reboot into Developer Edition
OR
ÔÇó Reboot into Recovery and remove the Android Kernel so you will ALWAYS boot into the Developer Edition
Code:
Reboot

Step 6: Reboot into your Developer Edition and you should retain the same drive space as you had before.
If you allowed your system to reboot after flashing the updated AOS, you might have problems with the partition.

This seems harder than it really is. I've done this quite a few times already on my devices, and it just gets easier each time you perform these steps.

If your device tells you that internal storage is damaged, go to Settings -> Repair and Formatting -> Reset Media Storage
Then repeat the steps starting at creating the new partition. I have performed this at least a dozen times, and it's only happened to me once. I think I used a different partition size though, not sure if I caused it or not.

Feel free to ask questions if you have any problems. Please keep the questions/comments on topic. I am aware of UrukDroid, so please don't post any comments telling me that Uruk does this already. This is for people that for whatever reason want to run the stock firmware.

Edit: Added in the stop and start commands to stop systems from hanging.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:30 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

When I get to applying the Partition Changes, MiniTool reports a filesystem error, saying I should use a checkdisk. I did that, and it doesn't find any errors (Windows 7 Home Premium x64)
EDIT: After using the ARCHOS check disk, which also didn't find anything, the problem is gone. Strange.
Also, How long does the cp operation take? Mine's been going for close to 20 minutes now, and I'm worried that it's frozen.
------------------------------------

Last edited by taylorabc on Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:45 am 

If you have a lot of apps in your data partition (lots of apps, or big apps) it will take quite some time. I don't know if it should take 20 minutes, that does seem a bit long though.

Also, if it is taking forever... Hard-power down the system (hold power for 10 seconds), then when you boot back up, get yourself back setup for ADB, but stop after you do the adb shell and su.

Then before the mkdir command use the system monitor to kill all apps, then issue the command:
Code:
stop

At this point your system will appear to completely lock up.

Then go ahead and do the mkdir, and the rest of the commands. See if it gets past the cp, and the sync.
If it gets past it, then issue the command:
Code:
start

This will take a second, then the Archos screen will appear for a second, then you'll be back at your home screen.

Then just continue with the rest as normal.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:10 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Ok. Almost finished here. I'm now on the last step, but ADB cannot find '/sdcard/init.rc' Or Could this last operation be done with Root Explorer?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:11 am 

taylorabc wrote:
Ok. Almost finished here. I'm now on the last step, but ADB cannot find '/sdcard/init.rc' Or Could this last operation be done with Root Explorer?

init.rc can be modified with Root Explorer, or it can be pulled, modified and replaced with ADB. Either one works the same way.

ADB will only be able to find /sdcard/init.rc if you push it to there. I just had that part in the step because you can't push it directly to /init.rc, since ADB doesn't have system r/w unless you're in su. That's why you have to place it into a storage location, then move it under su.

I did note in the guide though how to do it with Root Explorer (which it's easier to do it that way, but not everyone has Root Explorer).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:13 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Harfainx wrote:
taylorabc wrote:

init.rc can be modified with Root Explorer, or it can be pulled, modified and replaced with ADB. Either one works the same way.

ADB will only be able to find /sdcard/init.rc if you push it to there. I just had that part in the step because you can't push it directly to /init.rc, since ADB doesn't have system r/w unless you're in su. That's why you have to place it into a storage location, then move it under su.

I did note in the guide though how to do it with Root Explorer (which it's easier to do it that way, but not everyone has Root Explorer).

Thanks, your guide has brought new life to my tablet!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:26 am 

Great! Glad I could help. I've added the "stop" and "start" commands into the guide at the right times. This way your problem won't happen to anyone else. Sorry that happened to you.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:46 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

That's all right. My confusion was mostly because the larger partition didn't show up in regular android. Then I realised that the intent was to have it show up in the Developer Edition only, so I just deleted the stock android kernel. I've always wanted to root, but never gotten around to it. I have it now, though.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:22 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Completed this last night thank you for taking the time to document the steps.

One question - do we have to go through this again if we update the firmware using SDE?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:11 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

@Harfainx please answer question below. Thanks

Mikerla wrote:
Completed this last night thank you for taking the time to document the steps.

One question - do we have to go through this again if we update the firmware using SDE?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:39 pm 

Oh sorry, guess I over-looked it before.

I'm assuming you would have to re-do this if you upgrade the firmware, since the firmware seems to check the partitions (performs an integrity check).

I honestly can't say as a definite yes or no though, as I have never upgraded the firmware. I always wipe and start fresh (keeps the bugs to a minimum).

I just use Titanium Backup to backup and restore everything on each wipe/restore. It is a pain to re-do the options each time, but it comes with the territory.

What I can do later today (maybe tomorrow) is wipe my system, install an old firmware, perform the space modification, and then upgrade the firmware and see what happens. If it does in-fact perform the integrity check, it might delete the partition all-together, or it might just re-direct your init.rc back to the original location. If that happens, you would only have to re-edit the init.rc to point back to your other partition. Like I said though, I'm honestly not sure right now. Let me run some tests and find out.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:06 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Thanks for the response. I did this with no wipe and had no issues. Does this just change the memory for apps to be installed or does it effect the system working memory as well?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:18 pm 

All it does is ignore your app partition by creating a new partition and telling your system to look there.

It doesn't make any changes to your other partitions, other than shrinking the main partition down by however much you decide to use for apps.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:11 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thanks for the guide. I made the mistake of not reading it all the way to the end before starting. I went ahead and finished the process even though I received an "internal storage is damaged and may require a reformat" message. Now I can't get out of it. I go back and repartition it as in step 2, but it always says the internal storage is damaged. If I don't repartition, but just try to boot, the system keeps giving me error messages and I can't do anything. Do I need to change the init.rc file back and then redo it?

Thanks for your help,

Chad

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:20 pm 

How did you finish the process with the internal storage damaged? It shouldn't have been able to find any of the files while using ADB o.O

When I got the damaged internal storage message on mine, I couldn't even "adb shell" as it said that it couldn't find the device.

Try partitioning to a different size. I had a few issues if I tried over 2GB, so I would suggest trying just under 2GB if you are going over. Or if that fails for some reason, try around 1.5GB or something.

The init.rc shouldn't be causing a problem, but you can try changing it back to normal, as that might fix it. I never had this exact problem, so I'm sorry that I can't really offer too much help. I'm stuck at work for the next 10 hours, so I wouldn't even be able to try to replicate this until tonight.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:56 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thanks trying it now.. Wow wee.. took a half hour and could not have been any easier. Thank You so so much..

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:42 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Harfainx - You are the MAN!!!!

Just did it using the wipe method and everything worked great!!!

Its so great to see 1.80 GB as my available space!!

THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

=D>

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:04 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

A thank you from me too.
Now I can fill my Archos 70IT with more useless apps ;)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:52 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Anyone having problems with ADB?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:01 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi There,
I have been able to "Permanent Root" my Archos 101 successsfully , but i am not able to increase the app space. Its seems to be stuck at the step
cp -a /data/* /tmp/new-data

I have tried on two laptops (XP and Win7) but no luck yet .. ADB drivers installed fine and "adb devices" returns the device name as well.

Please someone help me here

Many Thanks!