Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:34 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:49 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

When I upclocked my A70 back to 1ghz with SetCPU it ID'd the cpu as an ARM7 rev2 (v7l).

I thought I was buying a tab with a TI ARM8 3640 processor. What is going on?

Will an Archos Rep please post how a Archos gen 8 owner can confirm on their tab what the specific installed cpu is?

If it is in fact an ARM7 and not an ARM8 I will be looking to return my tab for a full refund for false advertising.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:01 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

plase don't post same questions in many forums
(viewtopic.php?f=73&t=42526)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:21 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

czesiu:

Thanks for the response. I first posted this on the A70 board, and then thought I might get a quicker response on the Gen 8 board. In the future I will be sure to limit to my questions or comments to one board.

I am still looking for input from an Archos Rep or anyone else who can inform gen 8 Tab owners as to what method or procedure they can follow on their device to determine what specific processor is installed.

Checking Settings/About Device makes no reference to the processor installed. Is there a way to drill down further somehow to get the answer.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:37 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

*sigh*

ARMv7 is the architecture on which ARM Cortex A8 is based upon. Please do some research before you make accusations.

Quote:
The ARM CortexÔäó-A8 processor is based on the ARMv7 architecture and has the ability to scale in speed from 600MHz to greater than 1GHz. The Cortex-A8 processor can meet the requirements for power-optimized mobile devices needing operation in less than 300mW; and performance-optimized consumer applications requiring 2000 Dhrystone MIPS.

http://www.arm.com/products/processors/ ... tex-a8.php

See also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARM_architecture

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:51 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Cthugha: Thanks for your kind response.

Edited by Harfainx: The last part was offensive, and wasn't necessary. Let's all play nice.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:14 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Harfainx or any other anyone else who might know:

Is there a method to determine on a A70 or A101 tab as to which specific processor is installed? If so please post it.

A Check of Settings/About the Device/ does not do it.

Is there a way to drill down further somehow in the Settings function or some other firmware function to determine the processor on board?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:17 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

That was offensive? To 'cthugha'? Yous gangsta son. Stay up.

Sorry. But you missed the question entirely. WE wanted a SELF-HELP method. Not some lite reading that tries to comfort us with techie terms. What can we personally do to prove to ourselves, that this is in fact the real deal, or just some more crap from archos?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:22 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Cthugha wrote:
*sigh*

ARMv7 is the architecture on which ARM Cortex A8 is based upon. Please do some research before you make accusations.

Quote:
The ARM CortexÔäó-A8 processor is based on the ARMv7 architecture and has the ability to scale in speed from 600MHz to greater than 1GHz. The Cortex-A8 processor can meet the requirements for power-optimized mobile devices needing operation in less than 300mW; and performance-optimized consumer applications requiring 2000 Dhrystone MIPS.

http://www.arm.com/products/processors/ ... tex-a8.php

See also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARM_architecture

How many times did you say 'BASED ON'? What it is kid?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:24 pm 

Well this: http://pdadb.net/index.php?m=specs&id=2594&view=1&c=archos_101_internet_tablet_8gb says TI Omap 3630.

I remember seeing it somewhere else, but I don't remember where I saw it, sorry. :?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:05 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

JuniorDroid wrote:
How many times did you say 'BASED ON'? What it is kid?

What do you mean? Once? After that I was quoting the text on ARM's website. Kid? You're not making sense...

And tabuser, why do you believe Archos has put a different processor in these devices? Just curious.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:08 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Threads like this are exactly why XDA needs to hurry up and get an Archos forum. :roll:

Like Cthugha posted, the ARMv7 architecture is what's used in the Cortex A8 core. ARMv7 is also used in the Cortex A5, A9, and A15 cores. ARM doesn't sell their own processors, they license the architecture to others.

TI is one of the many licensees of ARM architecture. The OMAP3 series are defined by their spec'd core processing speed, their GPU, and die size. Assuming we do in fact have TI OMAP processors, we necessarily must have OMAP3640 processors, given our device is spec'd to 1GHz and it has a PowerVR SGX530 GPU.

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News ... nks-OMAP3/

It's rather hilarious how offended the OP is over "false advertising" when he hasn't got the faintest clue of which he speaks.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:15 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

OMAP3640 & CortexA8 are not the same thing. Obviously. By what you just said.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:31 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

JuniorDroid wrote:

Never wrote that. As far as I know it has a TI OMAP 3630/3640, which has a Cortex A8 core (which in turn uses the ARMv7 instruction set / architecture).

I think the OP might have confused "ARMv7" with either the much slower/simpler ARM7 core or thought that '7 must be slower/worse than 8'.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:27 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

JuniorDroid wrote:

No. The entire OMAP3 line uses the Cortex A8 core with the ARMv7 instruction set.

So does the Apple A4, Qualcomm Snapdragon, and a few others. Pretty much every single Android device on the market is using a Cortex A8/ARMv7 processor in some fashion.

Even the upcoming Notion Adam Ink will be using an ARMv7 instruction set with the Tegra 2 processor, though it'll be a Cortex A9 MP core, not the A8 present in almost every current generation mobile device.

Bottom line: Neither you nor the OP have even a remote idea of what you're talking about. You might as well be complaining about not getting a GenIII small block Chevy because it's called an LS1, while neither of you even know what a spark plug is.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:29 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

I am still looking for input from anyone who can inform gen 8 Tab owners as to what method or procedure they can follow on their device to determine what specific processor is installed.

Checking Settings/About Device makes no reference to the processor installed. Is there a way to drill down further somehow in the Settings functions to get an answer.

Again, when I upclocked my A70 back to 1ghz with SetCPU it ID'd the processor as an ARM7 rev2. It would be nice to determine via some firmware function on my A70 as which processor is installed.

Please no references to Wikipedia or some other literature; at the risk of being redundant, I'm looking to find some means to get processor ID confirmation on the device itself.

For those who can not suggest a method or procedure to confirm processor ID on an A70 or A101, its okay please don't feel you need to respond.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:40 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

JasonF:

You are right I do not know what I am talking about when it comes to ARM architecture . That is why I am asking the question.

It's a simple question, How does a Gen 8 Tab owner determine via some firmware function installed on their device as to what the specific processor is?

If you know what you are talking about then post a method or procedure that confirms the processor ID on an A70 or A101.

If you do not know of a procedure, then please save your less than useful comments for something else.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:37 am 
Archos User
Archos User

tabuser wrote:
JasonF:

You are right I do not know what I am talking about when it comes to ARM architecture . That is why I am asking the question.

It's a simple question, How does a Gen 8 Tab owner determine via some firmware function installed on their device as to what the specific processor is?

If you know what you are talking about then post a method or procedure that confirms the processor ID on an A70 or A101.

If you do not know of a procedure, then please save your less than useful comments for something else.

Yeah, read the rest of the CPU Info in SetCPU and have a clue about manufacturing processes.

You have the exact same processor as the rest of us. You have a 45nm 1GHz TI OMAP3 processor with a Cortex A8 core running on ARMv7 architecture that also has a PowerVR SGX530 GPU. You also have the same processor as the Droid X and Palm Pre 2.

Depending on the source of information, that either means it's an OMAP3630-1000 or a 3640. Supposedly the 3630 has better memory management. Either way, it's the 1GHz processor as advertised.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:41 am 
Archos User
Archos User

tabuser wrote:
I am still looking for input from anyone who can inform gen 8 Tab owners as to what method or procedure they can follow on their device to determine what specific processor is installed.

Checking Settings/About Device makes no reference to the processor installed. Is there a way to drill down further somehow in the Settings functions to get an answer.

Again, when I upclocked my A70 back to 1ghz with SetCPU it ID'd the processor as an ARM7 rev2. It would be nice to determine via some firmware function on my A70 as which processor is installed.

Please no references to Wikipedia or some other literature; at the risk of being redundant, I'm looking to find some means to get processor ID confirmation on the device itself.

For those who can not suggest a method or procedure to confirm processor ID on an A70 or A101, its okay please don't feel you need to respond.

This is fantastic, by the way. You want to know what SOC is in there, but you can't be bothered with reading any of the technical information on how to actually identify the SOC.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:33 am 
Archos User
Archos User

JasonF:

What is the point of your responses if you can not offer up a method using an installed firmware function to confirm that an ARM Cortex 8 is installed in the device.

Just admit you don't have an answer. Your clownish retorts confirm you have no idea what you're talking about.

Ripping Quotes Wikipedia does little to demonstrate any depth of knowledge, it only shows you mastered the highly sophisticated skill of cutting and pasting.

Grow up.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:46 am 
Archos User
Archos User

wow this thread is ridiculous. mods please close this.

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next