Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:26 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:05 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I'm going on vacation to a remote area with little-to-no computer access and a weight limit on personal possessions. I'm looking for a tool that will let me backup my photos to an external HD, using an SDHC card reader / digital camera + external drive over usb. The SDHC card is 32 GB (fat32), hard drive is 500 GB (not yet formatted).

There are plenty of photo-viewers on the market that pretty much do this, but I'm looking for something small and cheap, and I already have several external HDs lying around, so I don't need an all-in-one that costs several hundred $.

The Archos 28 looks like it has potential, but from what I've read Froyo will only recognize one storage device at a time. Will switching to ├àngstr├Âm Linux allow multiple storage devices via usb host? If not, are there any options that will?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:22 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

yes it can only support one storage device at the time and it olso give a max of a little more than 0.5watt or 0.1 amps
so some low power sd readers will work or flash drives
but now we come to yet another problem only one at the time
so you need to do it via the internal storage for this usage i would reccomend the 8 gig becouse than you could sent the files of the sd in 6 gb pieces otherwise with the 4 gb maybe 2 at max and now yet
another problem power i only gives 15 precent of what the avarage portable hard drive would need so you need a usb y cable sometimes these come with the hard drives
i think this isnt a perfect solution for your problem
i would recomment one of those on the go storage devices with a usb 2.0 and a sd slot where you could transfer data between storages
and these go for 15 or 20 bucks on ebay so dont spend 100 bucks on
this for your use
i hope this helps and think twice before you buy this for your use
and btw the usb host adapter does not come with the archos