Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:20 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:49 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi there,
The 101 belongs to my GF's so I haven't had much interest in it here but now after a year the occassional hangs and slow-downs make me want to clean it up but what's actually the best way to do it to have the cleanest and fastest system possible? factory setting from menus and then download latest firmware or .. ?
is the newest official firmware the best or does it have some bugs?

an unofficial firmware/ROM can be considered if you recommend that as a better and major-bug-free option ? speed is of importance
Hard to search entire forum for these answers
Cheers

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:54 am 

The help has been put in sticky topics at the top of the general gen 8 area, where you should focus on because firmware isnt 101 specific. You can pursue all that stuff, but virtually all slowness problems can be eliminated by a simple step... be absolutely ruthless in clearing out app space to about 60mb free at all times. Every app update brings on more bloat for useless features, so you then must uninstall something to maintain that empty space the system seems to need.

Go into settings for each app and push the button to move them out of system space if possible, so you can fit more apps. This will mean a slow bootup... wait til all icons appear properly before using. I find the latest archos firmware is very good... no lags, no problems unless you insist on crunching the app space with bloat. There is also advice out there for the more adventurous with time on their hands.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:44 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thanks a lot for answer, wasn't aware of the app space issue. I shall look into that and the G8 forum
Maybe I'll just clear up that space and update to latest android (i think now it's one before latest). re-installing everything including some google play hack etc may eat much time that I prefer not to waste ;]

but aren't the incremental system updates causing mess and slowness with time too ?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:52 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

regarding the app space - how do you actually check that one ? do you refer to ram available ?
if it's a part of the internal memory then it is not shown in menus. overall Internal I had over 5gb free out of 6,9 and the tablet was showing low memory message in the status bar

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:50 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

allright I get it now, it's the "system memory" (my native language version caused some confusion) in the storage options. and the ram seems to be listed in task manager only.

I'm amazed how pathetic the system is designed slowing down so much because of low space like windows
and even more pathetic to leave so little of that crucial memory by the manufacturer.

I guess it's a separate flash chip than the 8gb internal storage? or they were dumb enough to leave too less from the overall internal 8gb chip

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:02 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I installed this years ago (or so it seems) and I've used it ever since. It solves all those problems.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... p=10239743

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:15 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

jamie41 wrote:
I installed this years ago (or so it seems) and I've used it ever since. It solves all those problems.

OK can try it , but is it a complete ROM that I install in place of the original one ?
is it overall faster, stable and all stuff working ? if it is based on android 1.6 then some apps might also not be compatible

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:39 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

przemke wrote:
jamie41 wrote:

OK can try it , but is it a complete ROM that I install in place of the original one ?
is it overall faster, stable and all stuff working ? if it is based on android 1.6 then some apps might also not be compatible

A couple of things to say. It is not Android 1.6, if you read the title again you will see that the 1.6 refers to the version of UrukDroid, not Android. You will also see that the thread is 270 pages long. The thread started on 1 January 2011, by the developer $aur0n, last posting (by $aur0n) on 13 October 2012.

So it had nearly 2 years of continuous development. Each release, from version 1.0, was stable on release. Subsequent releases added new features.

UrukDroid in its various releases is a standalone FirmWare, based on Archos' various FW releases of its version of Android. It does not "replace" the Archos FW, although you may uninstall the Archos FW if you wish, after installing UrukDroid. I never have.

It offers a dual boot system, where you may boot into either FW. Having said that, after you choose to boot into UrukDroid, it will boot into UrukDroid by default, each time you reboot. If you want to boot into the stock FW instead, all you need to do is boot into the development FW and choose from there. Then it will boot into the stock FW on each reboot, and so on.

It offers massive improvements over the stock FW, and, in my opinion, is the FW which Archos should have offered. Archos should have paid this guy to update their FW.

I've not explained why I think it's so good. If you follow the thread, and the included links, you will see what it does and why people love it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:18 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

jamie41 wrote:
I've not explained why I think it's so good. If you follow the thread, and the included links, you will see what it does and why people love it.

ok

jamie41 wrote:
You will also see that the thread is 270 pages long.

mhm ;P

So thanks for info mate. I may try this one day. Would do so maybe right away if I was using the tablet but since it's my GF's then only increased speed, and better UI (if there's such) are things that may be of use to her.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:08 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

przemke wrote:
jamie41 wrote:

ok

jamie41 wrote:
You will also see that the thread is 270 pages long.

mhm ;P

So thanks for info mate. I may try this one day. Would do so maybe right away if I was using the tablet but since it's my GF's then only increased speed, and better UI (if there's such) are things that may be of use to her.

The main reason for using this, is that it gives you upwards of 1 Gb of apps space. For me, another main reason is the ability to move the soft buttons out of the way. This allows some screen dependent video apps (which rely on having a full screen) to display correctly. I could go on ...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:22 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

That one is valid! I was about to ask about that here, if there's any way to get rid of the soft buttons in full screen video ;]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:04 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

przemke wrote:
That one is valid! I was about to ask about that here, if there's any way to get rid of the soft buttons in full screen video ;]

Well, I'm glad I mentioned it now. This UrukDroid is not just some esoteric FW change, designed by techies for techies. It really does improve on Archos' own FW in many practical ways.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:21 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I am considering the same thing. To update or install a new firmware to make archos faster. I have seen some people doing overclocking at 1Ghz.. Have you tried it? Also, when installing it, is the Cinema plugin for ac3 movies still required? Thank you