Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:59 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:19 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

We hadn't used the Archos in a couple of days, so last night got it out the drawer, battery was flat. So put the power cable in, green light came on the side. Tried to power it on. No luck. We thought maybe it was completely flat so left it on charge overnight. Came down this morning to try and switch it on, still would't switch on. Tried holding the power button for 10 seconds, even tried the power and volume (+) button. Will not turn on. The green light is always on when plugging in the power connector (not the earphone jack), as soon as its unplugged the light goes out.

We were planning on taking the Archos with us on holiday over the xmas period and we are devastated as this is one of the main reasons we ordered it soon from Archos.

I've run out of options, i've raised an e-mail to Archos, I cannot add the product to my archos account because I cannot get access to the product key, but I do have the serial number, apart from the android menu, is ther product key held anywhere else?

Any help or something I have missed would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Kevin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:48 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi,

Have you tried the following ? (Remove SD card. I don't use one atm. But Ive seen some members with issues)
Hold power button 10 Secs (preferably 15) and then tap the power button 5 times ?
I've had the same issue a couple of times after upgrading to the latest firmware and that did the trick.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:47 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi,

Thanks for your help but unfortunately it didn't work. It is using Froyo which I upgraded about 2 weeks ago and hadn't had any issues.

:(

Kevin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:05 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I had the same experience yesterday! My archos accu was completely empty.
i hung it on the power cable and next morning i tried to start the archos with no result. Allmost panic. But then i plugged the cable better in. I think there is maybe a bad contact so it doesn t load up the accu. Now it is loading and it started and reloaded the accu. Very weird.

I think it is not a good idea to let the accu go completely empty.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:12 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

drbn wrote:
Hi,

Have you tried the following ? (Remove SD card. I don't use one atm. But Ive seen some members with issues)
Hold power button 10 Secs (preferably 15) and then tap the power button 5 times ?
I've had the same issue a couple of times after upgrading to the latest firmware and that did the trick.

Wow. You saved me a heart attack. I was having this same issue today and it worked perfectly.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:27 am 
Archos User
Archos User

My power cord is very touchy too. It won't charge unless it's plugged in in a certain way, and if I move it at all, it'll stop charging.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:39 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Indeed this is what is was, I actually got it working before christmas, just didn't have internet.
Many thanks for all your help and glad it has helped other people too.

Thanks

Kevin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:41 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Weird issue

I had the same thing happen to me a week or two ago. Suddenly my tablet shut off and wouldn't turn on again. I then thought that it was just run out of power. But after plugging it in, it simply would not charge. There was no led light, but after having been plugged in for a while, both the charger and the tablet battery got warm ... so current was flowing.

I then decided that the tablet was broken and started an RMA where I had bought it. But last night, I thought I would give it one final chance to work before I sent it back.

I plugged in the charger, and suddenly the led turned on (and NO, I did not put it in the headphone plug the first time ;)). I let it charge for a bit, and tried the tips in this thread. That didn't seem to do anything at all. So I just left it in the charger and went to bed. After about 15 min. I heard the sound when new mails arrive in the Gmail app. So life had apparently returned to it.

This morning, it seems to be working just fine.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:07 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Not sure in which thread it was, but I've read that some guy found out the power adapter seems to be of sub par quality, sometimes not giving enough voltage to let the device charge, plus having a connector with a very loose fit. You might want to try using a different power adapter with same parameters.

After the battery has run completely dry and you start charging it, the LED starts flashing a few times, five or six times very fast and then pauses for a sec. This indicates that the battery is too low to power on the device. After a few minutes the flashing stops and turns to a constantly, non blinking mode indicating charging.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:20 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Bronski wrote:
Not sure in which thread it was, but I've read that some guy found out the power adapter seems to be of sub par quality, sometimes not giving enough voltage to let the device charge, plus having a connector with a very loose fit. You might want to try using a different power adapter with same parameters.

After the battery has run completely dry and you start charging it, the LED starts flashing a few times, five or six times very fast and then pauses for a sec. This indicates that the battery is too low to power on the device. After a few minutes the flashing stops and turns to a constantly, non blinking mode indicating charging.

I know the connector is a bit iffy on most of the units ... and I usually had to wiggle mine a little bit to start charging. But once it started I never had any problems, even when using the tablet meanwhile or moving it about.

But when I got the problem, no matter what I did, it simply refused to start charging. Also the battery got warm in the tablet signifying that some current was going from the charger to the unit.

Well ... everything worked out fine at least, and I have my tablet working again :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:17 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I recently been having issues with my Archos not powering on as well. I have submitted a trouble ticket through Archos about the issue and they have not gotten back to me yet. The other night, it turned off and wouldn't turn back on and it appears this has happened to others, I also just thought it was out of juice and plugged it back in. Green charge light came on and I let it sit over night. Next day still wouldn't turn on and that was when I submitted a ticket with Archos. I played around with it trying some of the methods described in the forums without success but eventually it came back on. I have been watching the power meter to make sure I don't run it down and while I was working on it just now, I tried to plug in a USB drive and it turned off again. Once again, I have been trying the different ways to reset it to no avail. It appears that I have the best luck with getting it to turn back on when I have it plugged in. Unfortunately, I don't have the cable at work today. I would like to know if issue is firmware related or hardware related. I didn't have any of these issues the first 3 weeks I owned it. So far, I had tried resetting it by:
1) Holding in the power button for 10 seconds
2) Holding the power for 15-20 seconds, pushing the power and volume "+" for eternity hoping for a recovery screen to no avail.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Mike

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:13 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

drbn wrote:
Hi,

that worked for me, thanks!

there was no other way to get my 101 powered on again

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:38 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

JeG wrote:
drbn wrote:
Hi,

I really wonder how anyone found that fix? :D ... by accident? ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:10 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

yup, by cheer dumb luck. im glad it has helped some people restore life back to it. I enjoy the archos experience each day a lot more.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:57 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

TempestDK wrote:
JeG wrote:
drbn wrote:
Hi,

I really wonder how anyone found that fix? :D ... by accident? ;)

Experience. I get the same thing sometimes on my laptop. Same solution. Force a shutdown by holding down the power button.

I think it's the Archos's video driver crashing and refusing to wake up from sleep.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:07 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

mine did that too the batt. was completely drained and it wouldn't turn on so i charged it but it still wouldn't turn on and the green light wouldn't turn on either so i just let it sit on the charger then just sit alone all day then that night it worked but the next day it did the same thing. what i think is that it is dying while it is in sleep mode and wont turn on. i just read in a post to hold the power and volume - button down at the same time and now my charging light is on and the tablet turns on too!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:58 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Well good fix ... as it has a tendency to crash after a prolonged sleep. Well if it is a software error, at least there is a chance that it can be fixed in a firmware upgrade :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:02 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Same thing happened to mine. Battery drained down to 20%, plugged it in overnight, battery was at 0% and shut down.Plugged it in a different outlet out of desperation, tried the 15 sec, 5 time push on the power button to no avail, tried the vol button, pwr button also with no result. Called Archos tech support and they said send it in for a repair. What is really upsetting is that this seems not to be an isolated problem, and one which in my case surfaced just after 30 days of use, so in it goes for a repair instead of an exchange, which I will have to pay shipping for. Kind of wishing now that I would have just been patient and waited for the notion Ink Adam :(

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:19 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

this happened to my 70 so sent it back,Archos had it for over a month then sent it back minus my charger!! I phoned them and they said they would send me one straight away ,not arrived yet.They also said there was no fault with it which i find very hard to believe as this is obviously a bug of some kind as i tried for hours to get it to turn on again after only having it for 3 hours.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:55 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Wow! I thought I was the only one with the power connector loose issue but it does worry me. I like to have it charging on my night table next to where I sleep but I dont like having to stare at the tablet power icon every night just to check if its charging. Thats why I complained before in another thread about archos 101 not having a usb charging ability.