Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:44 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Playing Music Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:04 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I have gone through my entire music collection and marked all me "favorites". I would now like to be able to play all of my favorites randomly. How can I do this? As an alternative, is there a way to create a playlist from all of my favorites? I know how to play tracks from a playlist randomly.

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:46 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I assume you're talking about the stock music player?

Tell me - those ones you've marked as favourites, how do you use "favourites"? Why did you mark them as favourites? I can't figure out how to use favourites.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:11 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

It was easier to add tracks to favorites than to a playlist, so I did. I then found that I couldn't seem to do anything with the favorites except see them in a separate list. Very frustrating. I am used to Windows where I can do just about anything. Android seems like Windows 2.1 or so. Very limited by today's standards. Of course one problem is even 2.2 is still geared to a screen the size of a phone, not a 10" tablet. I have great hopes for the next release. But in the mean time I would like to be able to better handle my music. The favorites list must be kept somewhere. There shoud be a tool that someone has written that can convert that list into a playlist. Or if the favorites are just a flag on each track selected the tool should exist that can farm them and make a playlist that way. I'm not a programmer anymore (many years ago before C# even existed) but it doesn't seem that tough.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:27 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Why not try another player? There are loads in the Market. I'm going to have a go at Mixzing, it looks to have promise.

I wish Archos had given us the "Archos Media Centre" (AMC), which I have on my A5IT. It handles music, photos, videos.

It's quite flexible (on reflection).

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:55 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

My older Archos, a lot older, is a 504. It worked great. But it had a hard drive and the battery never lasted quite as long as I wanted. And as I have gotten older and my eyes want to see bigger things the 10" screen was a better choice. The 504 had no internet capability either.

I'm thinking of trying PowerAMP myself. But I haven't seen any description of any android music app that says it can make a mix purely from favorites. Let me know what you think of MixZing, especially if it will play favorites in a random way.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:51 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Try them yourself, they're both free. What exactly does favourites mean? I can't see that it has any use at all, other than to create a "pseudo" playlist. The other apps don't use"favourites" at all.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:51 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

DoubleTwist supports ratings of individual songs (1 to 5 stars), and one of the default playlists is "Top Rated" (in addition to "Recently Added" and "Most Played"). You can also create regular playlists, and (supposedly . . . haven't tried) sync playlists with iTunes on the desktop, as well as ratings and playcounts. Not sure which of the sync features works with the free version, and I'm not sure the syncing is totally bidirectional.

This seems like by far the most flexible way to implement "favorites." Sorry you wasted your time tagging favorites in the default app, which does seem pretty useless.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:58 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thanks folks. I think we all agree that I wasted my time using the useless favorites "feature" in the default player. I'm just going to have to make a playlist of what I want to make random mixes out of. I did test a number of music players looking for a favorites ability. The other thing I was looking for was a simple player that used my folder structure, not the default tags of artist, song, album, etc. A lot of my music is classical and you want to group the movements of a symphony together in a specific order. They aren't exactly songs. Folders with the tracks labled "01-First Movement", "02-Second Movement", etc. works best. I found two that each have strengths. TinyPlayer is very simple and very folder based. But it is missing the ability to work with playlists and has no random ability. I don't just listen to classical. MortPlayer is a bit more elaborate. It has a fancier interface and does have a random ability. But it also does not work with playlists. The author does state that playlist ability is a priority for the next release. But both are free and folder based.

Thanks again for all your help everyone.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:45 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I've tried several players now, incl Mortplayer. I'm now down to WinAmp, my current one, and PowerAmp, because of the co-operative developer and intentions regarding his next release - the only one with the intention of having its own fast library. It's worth reading his forum:

http://power-amp.info/forum/index.php.

Winamp is pretty flexible, and intuitive, and for me at least, Shoutcast works pretty well. I've not tried the "iTunes sync" yet, though. Sounds powerful, since that's what I use on my laptops.

They're both worth a look.