Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:51 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Gen8 Wiki
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:15 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Aloha Y'all,

I've started working on the standards for our Gen8 Wiki pages. I've created a Help page for Gen8 Wiki pages. It's still a little rough but it should help folks who want to get in on the Gen8 wiki effort. I've worked on the following pages:
1. Help:Gen8 Page Models
2. Generation 8 - Our Wiki's Gen8 Home page
3. A101

I'm working with our A101 Wiki pages to get experience before I work on the other Gen8 Wiki pages. I have both a 16G A101 and an 8G A70. I want to get the following pages started on the A101:
1. Before You Buy
2. Newbie Tips
3. Owner Reviews

As you might imagine there can be quite a bit of overlap in the "Before You Buy" and "Newbie Tips" Wiki pages between the different tablets. At this stage, however I believe the Generation 8 common pages and the tablet pages should be separate, perhaps with the Generation 8 pages at times feeding into the tablet pages. For example we can have a Generation 8 Owner Reviews page which links to the tablet's Owner Reviews pages which then link to individual owner reviews.

As I see it, our forum provides us with very active discussions which can lead to things like stable procedures for certain tasks, such as installing the Market Hack on 2.0.84. Once the we've got the stable procedures we're ready to create (a) Wiki page(s) which link(s) back to the forum discussions.

Some folks may regard Wikis as very free places where anyone can just go to, create and edit at will. However, in our case the more we can coordinate our efforts the more quickly we can provide ourselves with good, useful, and easy to find info.

If we don't coordinate our efforts we may cause ourselves more work later. For example one member, ikluft, created some nice Wiki templates for styling our pages. What he didn't know was that we are using different background colors for the Gen7s and the Home Tablets. When I came along I had to change his templates to a new background color for the Gen8s. Extra work, but not too much.

But then he created a template for "Generation 8 Common Topics" and he used it to edit all the tablet pages: 28, 32, 43 and so on. The problems were two-fold:
1. His template had links to Gen7 pages - I removed them
2. His "Common" elements were not common from my POV - I replaced his template with inline code for the A101 page since I see: Before you Buy, Newbie Tips, and Owner Reviews a different Wiki pages for each tablet. We still have to fix the other tablet pages.

I applaud ikluft's intentions, but he declined my offer to collaborate. So I would rather he doesn't work on our Wiki at all - IF IT MEANS folks will have to come behind him and clean up.

'nuff said. If you want to help with our A101 Wiki pages please contact me or reply in this topic.

Allen

Post subject: Re: Gen8 Wiki
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:37 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I've started the Wiki Before You Buy page.

You can discuss this page in the Before You Buy forum topic.

Allen