Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:33 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Google Voice
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:43 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Does anyone know how to configure Google Voice to work or if it is even possible, since the 101 is not a phone as is not recognized as a desktop?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Google Voice
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:57 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

you will probably need to use the website. I do on my iPod touch.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:59 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

The Google Voice app fails for me on 2.1 at the setup voicemail step, even though I selected the skip option when prompted.

It doesn't really matter that the Google Voice app didn't install for me since the A101 is big enough to access the Google Voice website via the browser.

If it's the instant notifications you want you can just forward all Google Voice text to your email.

Last edited by loganss on Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:10 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Got it to work using one of my other numbers. But actually, I was wondering if it is possible to use google phone to make free calls over the device. I don't see a way to do it, but it would be cool. Any ideas out there?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:50 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

termn8er wrote:
Got it to work using one of my other numbers. But actually, I was wondering if it is possible to use google phone to make free calls over the device. I don't see a way to do it, but it would be cool. Any ideas out there?

I've been thinking about that as well. Don't have my A101 yet, so can't test this out. But I've got a number on my GV account that forwards to a SIP account (through IPKall). I could have the SIP account running on Fring or Sipdroid, and maybe the GV app could forward calls to that. I'm not sure how integrated the GV app is with the Dialer app, so maybe that's not possible.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:24 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

termn8er wrote:

Yes , it is possible to make phone calls with the A101 and I did it yesterday and made a bunch of calls today to show my coworkers.

I made these instructions for the N1 but most still applies for the A101:
http://n1blog.ed-pages.com/?p=17

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:59 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

You've got to remember that Google Voice isn't a traditional SIP-based VOIP service, which makes it a little more complicated to set it up for outgoing calls using SIP systems. I've used SIP-based VOIP for my home phone system exclusively for 6 years. I've got a Google voice number in another state so family in that area can call me without incurring long distance charges. With my ATA, I have it set up with sipsorcery.com (dial plans for dialing out via Google Voice on an ATA registered with sipsorcery are fairly straight forward since sipsorcery uses the Ruby programming language). Unfortunately, sipsorcery isn't free any longer and isn't taking new subscribers at present. Another option would be to set up a free account with pbxes.com to receive incoming calls, but you'll have problems trying to set up a dial plan to dial out directly through pbxes so you might want to use Google Voice's web portal for dialing out. (When making an outgoing call, Google Voice's web-based portal will prompt you to indicate what registered number you want it to ring, it then calls that number and after you've answered, it connects you to the number you want to call.) If you had a Gizmo5 account, you could download their Android app to receive incoming calls and use Google Voice's web-based portal to make outgoing calls. However, Google bought Gizmo5 and it's not allowing new members to sign up until they relaunch (which may never happen).

There's an Android flavored GVdialer, but it's intended for use on cell phones and I'm not certain whether it will work on a WIFI device like the 101.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:03 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

mke73 wrote:
With my ATA, I have it set up with sipsorcery.com (dial plans for dialing out via Google Voice on an ATA registered with sipsorcery are fairly straight forward since sipsorcery uses the Ruby programming language).

For a simpler solution, if you want GV to forward to SIP, register your SIP account with IPKall to get a free inbound phone number and register the number with GV.
mke73 wrote:
There's an Android flavored GVdialer, but it's intended for use on cell phones and I'm not certain whether it will work on a WIFI device like the 101.

The original third-party Google Voice app (GV) should work, but I'm waiting until I get my A101 to test it.
It hasn't been updated in over a year, though.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:18 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Ioganss,

I can't find 3cxphone on app market. Can you provide a link?

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:33 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

mke73 wrote:
You've got to remember that Google Voice isn't a traditional SIP-based VOIP service, which makes it a little more complicated to set it up for outgoing calls using SIP systems. I've used SIP-based VOIP for my home phone system exclusively for 6 years. I've got a Google voice number in another state so family in that area can call me without incurring long distance charges. With my ATA, I have it set up with sipsorcery.com (dial plans for dialing out via Google Voice on an ATA registered with sipsorcery are fairly straight forward since sipsorcery uses the Ruby programming language). Unfortunately, sipsorcery isn't free any longer and isn't taking new subscribers at present. Another option would be to set up a free account with pbxes.com to receive incoming calls, but you'll have problems trying to set up a dial plan to dial out directly through pbxes so you might want to use Google Voice's web portal for dialing out. (When making an outgoing call, Google Voice's web-based portal will prompt you to indicate what registered number you want it to ring, it then calls that number and after you've answered, it connects you to the number you want to call.) If you had a Gizmo5 account, you could download their Android app to receive incoming calls and use Google Voice's web-based portal to make outgoing calls. However, Google bought Gizmo5 and it's not allowing new members to sign up until they relaunch (which may never happen).

You do realize that a bunch of people's eyes just glazed over. I understand what you're talking about and how it automates more the dialing of a number but I wouldn't recommend this method for people to start out with. The link I provided is an absolute bare bones setup. No Google Voice app needed, no pbxes/sipsorcery, no ATA, no Google Voice supplement app. If all you want to do is make a phone call you only need a sip client, a sip provider that allows free incoming calls or extra cheap rates, have a google voice number, and have access to the internet.

termn8er wrote:
Ioganss,

Thanks

Unfortunately, I do not know how to link to a market app but here's their website:
http://www.3cx.com/blog/3cxphone/android/

Did you search for just 3cx in the market? Showed right up for me on my A101.

You can also replace 3CXPhone with LinPhone, sipdroid, fring, and probably a bunch of other sip client apps.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:49 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

loganss wrote:
You can also replace 3CXPhone with LinPhone, sipdroid, fring, and probably a bunch of other sip client apps.

And Fring comes with the A101, so no extra installation necessary.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:59 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

termn8er wrote:
Ioganss,

Thanks

Go to the following post by JeG and perform step 4:
viewtopic.php?p=286838#p286838

In 2.1 market hack I was able to see 3cx but not in the 2.2 market hack, until I followed the above.

Now I can see more apps in the Market.
Enjoy! :D

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:45 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

goodevilgenius wrote:
mke73 wrote:
With my ATA, I have it set up with sipsorcery.com (dial plans for dialing out via Google Voice on an ATA registered with sipsorcery are fairly straight forward since sipsorcery uses the Ruby programming language).

For a simpler solution, if you want GV to forward to SIP, register your SIP account with IPKall to get a free inbound phone number and register the number with GV.
mke73 wrote:

The original third-party Google Voice app (GV) should work, but I'm waiting until I get my A101 to test it.
It hasn't been updated in over a year, though.

I set mine up a few days ago, actually. I use a combinations of IPKall + PBXES + sipdroid to receive calls from GV, and GVoice Callback (website: http://musingsfromtheunderground.blogspot.com/) from the market for calling out.

Mostly to mention that there are other alternative callback apps out there.

I still haven't managed to make 3CX works since I tried it, however.... I can hear from my A70, but the other side can't hear me. I may have to add more port forwarding. I don't need it since sipdroid works perfectly, but it bugs me that something doesn't work. :/

what settings do you guys use on the 3CX, if you use pbxes and 3cx combination?

Last edited by Sylph on Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:51 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

loganss wrote:
You do realize that a bunch of people's eyes just glazed over. I understand what you're talking about and how it automates more the dialing of a number but I wouldn't recommend this method for people to start out with. The link I provided is an absolute bare bones setup. No Google Voice app needed, no pbxes/sipsorcery, no ATA, no Google Voice supplement app. If all you want to do is make a phone call you only need a sip client, a sip provider that allows free incoming calls or extra cheap rates, have a google voice number, and have access to the internet.

I agree, especially since Sipsorcery cost $30-55 from ebay for their invite codes, and is closed otherwise. It is definitely NOT necessary, even if useful.

pbxes also works as a sip provider btw, they just have much more options. But I guess that's part of what you say may be confusing to newbies.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:03 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Alright, here's my setup:
Google Voice installed from Market.
Google Voice Call Free installed from Market.
SipDroid installed from Market.
A sip2sip account registered as Line 1 in SipDroid.
An IPKall account connected to my sip2sip account.
IPKall number registered in Google Voice.
Setup Google Voice on A101. When it asks what number this phone has, chose the IPKall number (probably doesn't matter).
When asked whether to route calls through Google Voice, choose Never.
In Google Voice Call Free, choose numbers to go through my IPKall number.

Now, I can select anyone from my Contacts, and when I choose "Call," it'll ring me on SipDroid, then connect through Google Voice.
If someone calls me on my GV number, SipDroid will ring, and their picture (if they have one in my Contacts) will show up. Nice!
If someone texts me on my GV number, Google Voice will send me a notification.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:16 am 
Archos User
Archos User

I just switched my previous setup from IPKall->PBXES->sipdroid + GV callback app to IPKall->SipSorcery->PBXes->sipdroid + sipdroid->pbxes->sipsorcery. Adds several extra link in the chain... Have to stick with pbxes to lower the resource consumption (TCP vs UDP and all that).

Mostly did it because I forgot that I was bidding on a sipsorcery account. -_-

Not sure the one less app and slightly faster calling out is worth the extra cost, and I think slightly worse quality.

I do use 'Dialer One' for dialing though, as I either somehow lost the default dialer, or it doesn't exist....

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:37 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Sylph wrote:
I do use 'Dialer One' for dialing though, as I either somehow lost the default dialer, or it doesn't exist....

The A101 does not have the Dialer app. I was wondering if there was a replacement. Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:02 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

You're welcome and glad to help. Nice to know for sure I didn't delete some preexisting dialer. :)
Btw, I've also tried direct ipkall->Sip2Sip solution in the past, but I believe they used UDP port (much faster time out) which will use more battery life. I'd recommend using pbxes instead of using sip2sip if sip2sip do use UDP port. I don't remember if they do allow TCP or not. I myself moved because pbxes is much more powerful and flexible.

My device is an A70 btw, was just curious if somenoe made 3cx works with the IT and such.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:21 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Sylph wrote:
Btw, I've also tried direct ipkall->Sip2Sip solution in the past, but I believe they used UDP port (much faster time out) which will use more battery life.

I've been using it without pbxes, and the battery life on my A101 seems just fine. As for me, I'd rather not have to register an extra service, which could create an extra lag just to save a little bit of battery when that doesn't seem to be a problem for me. To each their own, of course.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:34 am 
Archos User
Archos User

That's good, although you can actually skip sip2sip in that way meaning there's no extra service. It'll be ipkall->pbxes->phone instead of ipkall->sip2sip->phone.
But yeah, if it works for you as it is, then that's good too. Don't have to use the same methods. I just get perfectionistic about my own device.:)