Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:57 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Newbie Tips
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:51 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

This Sticky topic is a place holder for tips to new owners. I'll update this OP as we go along. I created this topic following a suggestion from a member - vohkuhl.

This topic has immediate consequences in duplication: All the Gen8s run the same Firmware. So each Gen8 forum Might be able to use the same "Newbie Tips".

On 24 Nov I've copied this Sticky topic to the Gen8 General, A101 and A70 forums. Let's see they end up.

Allen

Post subject: Re: Newbie Tips
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:37 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

If you don't like the view angle of your Archos, flip it :D seriously, rotate so that "archos 101 internet tablet" label is on the top. You'll see the difference

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:46 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

TOUCHSCREEN DEAD SPOTS FIX ??? - WORKED FOR ME

Hi All

I also had this problem when i first received my 101 it was like icons/widgets would stick when i tried to drag them to delete or if i held down touch the middle of the screen for the "Add to home screen" option it would not work. What i did was as follows:

1.) Click here to download the 1.0.84 firmware from archos.com

2.) IMPORTANT make sure your device is plugged in - Turn off your Archos, turn it back on and instantly hold the volume down button untill you get to the white Archos recovery screen, you can now let go of the volume button.

3.) (In the recovery menu your volume up/down button moves the cursor and the power button selects the highlighted option.)
From here select -

Format System
Reformat Device
I Understand

All data (music, photos, videos, etc.), applications and settings wil be erased
Follow the on-screen instructions untill it asks you to connect your device to you computer PC
Your ARCHOS device will be detected as a 'Mobile Device' in Windows® Explorer (will appear as as a drive in "My Computer" Double-click on the Drive icon and you will see the various ARCHOS folders inside (Video, Music, etc.). Copy the firmware file you downloaded earlier (step 1.) into this area but be careful not to paste it into any of the folders there.

Follow the on-screen instructions (on Archos) untill the firmware has been installed and the setup wizard starts (like when you first turned it on from new)

4.) Once your archos has been restored its gonna need calibrating so go to

Settings > Repair & Formatting > Touch Screen Calibration.

and

Settings > Repair & Formatting > Accelerometer Calibration.

If all goes well should be silky smooth and very responsive. :)

Hope this helps...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:47 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Screen shots:

As some might not know, it is possible to take screenshots on your Archos.

Do the following:

- Open Settings
- Open Applications
- Open Development
- Select 'Take a screenshot instead of suspending'.

Now your short-press on the power button will dump a screen shot on your flash card. just un-check it again to get the power button to sleep the screen again :)

Just be aware that it will take the screenshot upside down ..

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:21 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

How to format an external HDD to Fat32 so it will work on your A101.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pljbf1K6hH4

This video tutorial is great! I haven formatted anything outside of MS Dos is forever. But this helped me so I am sure it will help you. But here is a way to do so in MS DOS.

Open a command window by going to Start, then Run and typing in CMD.

command prompt

Now type in the following command at the prompt:

format /FS:FAT32 X:

Replace the letter X with the letter of your external hard drive in Windows. Windows will go ahead and begin formatting the drive in FAT32!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:47 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Tdouble wrote:

Hi All

I also had this problem when i first received my 101 it was like icons/widgets would stick when i tried to drag them to delete or if i held down touch the middle of the screen for the "Add to home screen" option it would not work. What i did was as follows:

2.) IMPORTANT make sure your device is plugged in - Turn off your Archos, turn it back on and instantly hold the volume down button untill you get to the white Archos recovery screen, you can now let go of the volume button.

3.) (In the recovery menu your volume up/down button moves the cursor and the power button selects the highlighted option.)
From here select -

Format System
Reformat Device
I Understand

Follow the on-screen instructions untill it asks you to connect your device to you computer PC
Your ARCHOS device will be detected as a 'Mobile Device' in Windows® Explorer (will appear as as a drive in "My Computer" Double-click on the Drive icon and you will see the various ARCHOS folders inside (Video, Music, etc.). Copy the firmware file you downloaded earlier (step 1.) into this area but be careful not to paste it into any of the folders there.

Follow the on-screen instructions (on Archos) untill the firmware has been installed and the setup wizard starts (like when you first turned it on from new)

and

Hope this helps...

Hi,
You are suggesting this if the 1.0.84 firmware update didn't take properly, yes?. I ask as it was the first thing I did when I received the 101 last Monday
but didn't do any of the above, just updated thru firmware update on 101, and seems to work fine, except for lack of ram. I am just curious would it be
even better if I did what you call out above? If so, too late I assume, since I already did the firmware update?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:22 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

bob24usa wrote:
Tdouble wrote:

Hi All

From here select -

Format System
Reformat Device
I Understand

and

Hope this helps...

Hi,
You are suggesting this if the 1.0.84 firmware update didn't take properly, yes?. I ask as it was the first thing I did when I received the 101 last Monday
but didn't do any of the above, just updated thru firmware update on 101, and seems to work fine, except for lack of ram. I am just curious would it be
even better if I did what you call out above? If so, too late I assume, since I already did the firmware update?

If your device does not suffer from dead spot problems, then there is no reason to do any of the above :) ... and as I read it, you don't seem to have any problems??

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:44 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

If your 101 is NOT charging, Check to see if the Charger is Plugged into the Power Socket located at the bottom of the 101 and NOT the Headphone Opening.

A couple people including myself have plugged it into the Headphone Opening (which is a perfect fit). So this seems to have happened often to different people.

NO HARM reported by anyone including me.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:54 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

just next time you put your headphones on, you are electrocuted
:p

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:47 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

SHould I do this now that I have 2.0 firmware or should I simply use the same instructions but reinstall 2.0 (w/2.2 Android)?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:31 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

cyberdrakula wrote:
If your 101 is NOT charging, Check to see if the Charger is Plugged into the Power Socket located at the bottom of the 101 and NOT the Headphone Opening.

A couple people including myself have plugged it into the Headphone Opening (which is a perfect fit). So this seems to have happened often to different people.

NO HARM reported by anyone including me.

I've done the same, and there shouldn't be any harm.

The way a headphone socket makes a complete circuit and the way the power adapter makes a complete circuit are physically different. Luckily, there shouldn't be any way of accidentally feeding DC power through the headphone jack because of this.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:43 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

If you are used to using itunes to manage media devices then you will love http://www.doubletwist.com/. I don't personally use it but I know a lot of people that don't know much about android that prefer to use it to manage their devices.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:40 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

So how long does the initial charge take for you guys? Can I use my 101 while its still charging? It's been charging for about half an hour or so and I'm dying to use it! :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:20 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Srontgorrth wrote:
So how long does the initial charge take for you guys? Can I use my 101 while its still charging? It's been charging for about half an hour or so and I'm dying to use it! :lol:

You can use it while it is charging with no problems .. it just takes longer to charge of course :) ... the tablet comes with some charge it in already. So fire it up and get cracking :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:07 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Tdouble wrote:

Hi All

From here select -

Format System
Reformat Device
I Understand

and

Hope this helps...

One small change for those who got 2.2 installed or did a firmware upgrade in response to the screen prompt:

Get the new firmware instead of the one specified above:

http://update.archos.com/8/gen8/gen8_2.0.54/firmware_archos_android_gen8.aos

otherwise your upgrade will fail.

However, the non-responsiveness of the middle part of the screen is not fixed :cry: I am using a screen protector maybe that is causing it!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:34 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Where can I buy one of these? The site says "notify me."

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:43 pm 

eric8421 wrote:

You just have to be lucky and find them at a reseller before they sell out. These always sell out within a few hours, regardless of who's selling them.

Amazon
TigerDirect
Newegg
Archos

Try all of those, just have to keep checking and hope to get lucky. There are a lot of people still waiting to get their hands on these devices.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:55 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I'm experiencing the same issues with the dead spots on the screen. The "fix" listed in previous post did not correct the problem. Just received the 101 two days ago. Running 2.2

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:59 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I've also calibrated several times, and do not have a screen protector

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:04 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Harfainx wrote:
eric8421 wrote:

You just have to be lucky and find them at a reseller before they sell out. These always sell out within a few hours, regardless of who's selling them.

Amazon
TigerDirect
Newegg
Archos

Try all of those, just have to keep checking and hope to get lucky. There are a lot of people still waiting to get their hands on these devices.

Archos.ca also has them sporadically. Apparently all preorders will be shipping this week. Plus free shipping to US as well (I don't work there, but have bought from them before).