Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:37 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 439 posts ]  Go to page Previous 118 19 20 21 22 Next
 Post subject: Re: Owner Reviews - A101
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:31 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Am currently running 2.108 on my 3rd A101/16GB after the first two broke down. Dropped the first one (from about 90cm height) and half of the screen went black, the second one had the usb port burnout issue. But in all 3 cases my setup and experience have basically been the same:
General performance is excellent, as is the minimal battery drain, charging times and wifi connectivity. I have no problems with battery temperature on charging. I have posted most of the following before but I feel this topic warrants an update.

Some details
- I use an extra 16GB sandisk microSD which has about 8GB of music, foto's and video's.
- I don't use deep sleep and I never switch wifi off. In general I just put the device down when finished using it and don't even bother pressing the power button.
- Battery drain is almost nihil when not using, perhaps 1 or 2 % overnight (which I suspect is the email check). after I guess about 4 to 5 hours of continuous use the battery has dropped to 65% , which I think is excellent.
- I use the XDA v5 Google Market and additional apps.zip (updated after install).
- I have OSMonitor running all the time to view cpu usage and also use the Advanced Task Manager app killer every now and then (but only manually, I don't use the autokill option).
- Besides Gmail I also have two IMAP mail accounts syncing every hour.
- I use the stock launcher (tried out AWG and Launcher Pro for a while but reverted back to stock as it works just fine for my needs).
- I use Apps Organiser to group my icons and also have the Snowstorm weather widget active on my home screen at all times and set to sync every hour.
- I also use Better keyboard 8 (free version) which immensely improves using the keyboard but had it crash a few times when repeatedly pressing backspace to quickly delete something. I've since found out just holding the backspace key works just fine and have had no crashes since then.
- I had some trouble connecting and then pairing it to my Freedom bluetooth Universal keyboard2 but found out that pairing needed the passcode entered on both devices and since then it also connects just fine by itself after switching them on.
- I've also connected a Freedom keyring bluetooth GPS 2000 mouse without any hassle whatsoever.

I consider myself a heavy wifi user but not so much a multimedia or game user. Besides web browsing I download quite a lot to my QNAP 219 turbostation and use the QNAP apps for controlling the NAS. I also use the ANWB verkeer, TomTom routes webpages for traffic info and am well pleased with the Buienalarm app in conjunction with Rainy Days. Another favourite is the TVGiDS.tv app which even my wife can appreciate. I also have two IP webcams hooked up for security and use the excellent IP Cam Viewer Lite to monitor them when we're not home. Two other gems I want to share with you are the CineShowTime app (to get local movelistings) and the PocketInformant app (PIM for managing appointments and tasks).

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:51 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hello there people, my second post. Not a regular here but thought I would pitch in my experience.

I bough it via eBay 4 weeks ago, got it after 15 days. Been using it since. I saw people paid a lot more than I did. Bought it for $320+$40 shipping. Well the first impression, hardware wise was real good. I love the kickstand on the back. But after turning it on, it was real pathetic. Everything was slow and well the default launcher was real laggy. I kinda expected that as I had done a lot of research before getting this tablet. Alternative was the gTab, with its Tegra chip. But people clearly were not satisfied.

I directly installed the SDE on it and flashed it into a ROM over at XDA. Added Launcher Pro Plus and things were smooth.
So here are my Pros and Cons.
Pros:
-The Screen, its is good. Viewing angles are so not bad, I really dont get why people complain. I actually like it as people around me cannot see anything ;)
-The kickstand! Like its the most useful thing ever.
-The USB Host port. What tablet you know does it better than this?
-Battery. I can easily go upto 20 hours with full charge. With a little management.

Cons:
-The initial out of the box user experience. Not everyone may be able to do advanced stuff outta the box. It took some time to fix everything.
-The RAM. Wish there was a bit more memory.
-The charger. Why can't you charge it from the USB. This has been the greatest annoyance...
-Default Music App. I suggest remove it and get Winamp or Music PlayerPro

Over all its a 8/10. I love it. I also made a custom skin that can be available over at XDA (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1005124).

So yeah, it really does depend on your expectations. With the tab I have right now, I can easily burn down anyone that says the iPad is better. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:48 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

xDeepS wrote:
So yeah, it really does depend on your expectations. With the tab I have right now, I can easily burn down anyone that says the iPad is better. ;)

No you can't - you can just say you prefer yours. I have both, the iPad is better for me.

The 101 is ok, and not bad for the money, the build is much cheaper, the system is a bit more flakey, I don't understand anyone who says the screen is good (it really isn't - but I am fussy about screens), the power button is intermittent and I can't use the wifi.

However, the 101 is used by my wife to watch videos on, the speaker isn't bad, the battery life is good enough, the kickstand is a very good thing. I don't regret getting it, but as I say I have an iPad as well for everything else I want to do - as a purely PMP it is not bad (it would be good if wifi worked) and I also can use it for android development.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:07 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I've had mine (8 gig model) for about two weeks. Consider myself tech savyy and have really enjoyed it. Purchased from BH Photo for $294 and $14 for an 8 gig micro SD card with free shipping.

Screen:
The screen is bright and easy to use but shows fingerprints easily. I have ordered a screen protector and will update the results when it is installed. Viewing is great for me because I intend to be the only user and keeping others from "easedropping" when I'm in public is fine. After about 10 days it developed a bad screen flicker and I was really concerned hearing the horror tales about Archos support and the problem of returning a practically new tablet and receiving a refurbished one or never receiving a reply. Within hours, I received a suggestion which confirmed my own research, apparently Flash 10.1 is necessarily ready for prime time or I installed it incorrectly. I removed Flash and all is well. Interestingly, tech support stated that "(Flash) is a Third Party Application that was not put out by our company", even though I downloaded it from the Appslib.

Connection to PC:
There seem to be several issues with people having trouble connecting the 101 to a PC. I am running XP home edition, SP3 on my desktop and XP media center, SP3 on my laptop. Initially, the desktop would not recognize the Archos 101 while the laptop had no problems. Suddenly both are working fine and I can transfer files easily in both directions.

USB Port:
Using the full size USB port I have connected memory sticks with no problem.
I have connected an external HD (Seagate DeskAgent 500gig) which the Archos immediately recognized and played a video from it. I have also connected an USB external keyboard which the Archos instantly recognized. I was not so successful with the USB optical mouse. Still working on it.

WiFi:
Connected instantly to my Actiontec wireless broadband modem/gateway (801.1 b/g) and has never dropped a connection. Setting up gmail and AOL email accounts was very easy and work well, though downloading email seems a bit slower that on my desktop.

As many comments state, many reviews are based on personal perceptions and expectations. I read all the good and the bad before my purchase and am well pleased with the Archos. I haven't used an iPad, so I can't comment, but the Archos is at least a$150 less and does everything I need. I haven't conducted extensive battery test but it seems to give about 10 hours wth the wifi on and maybe 12 or so reading ebooks. It is a great ebook reader and I have software for Kindle, Nook and Adobe Overdrive which work quite well.

So far the only shortcoming seems to be finding a good photo editor.

More later.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:25 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Quick update, I've had my 101 for about 2 months and so far so good. Daily use at home and out and about. Only the kickstand is has loosen and wouldn't stand at the set position, instead slides to the lowest point.

Anyone can suggest a screen capture without the need root access?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:09 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

who238 wrote:
Only the kickstand is has loosen and wouldn't stand at the set position, instead slides to the lowest point
Check this super glue trick out.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:33 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

:( sad update

The screen problem I mentioned in my earlier review (April 3) came back in force. The white stripes or bars across the screen became more frequent until after about 10 days the screen went totally blank (not dark as some have reported, but totally white.) The plus side is that the Archos customer support responded positively and after two or three emails I have an RMA in hand and it will be shipped back tomorrow. Unhappily I'll be without it for a few days and don't know if it will be a new replacement or a refurbished unit. Obviously, I'm hoping for the former.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 11:42 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

1. Archos 101 16G
2. USA
3. Walmart online
Had it about two weeks and absolutely love it! LOVE IT!

I am somewhat intuitive when it comes to computers but totally self taught. I have no experience with anything other than a PC and have had a laptop for about 7 months. No smart phone or tablet experience. The amazon reviews scared me so badly that I put off buying an archos for a while but kept going back to the archos site and staring like a kid at storefront at Christmas. (Yeah that dates me - I'm a middle aged woman.) I feel like Apple products are overpriced and they hold you captive as far as needing to purchase from iTunes and I hate that otherwise I would have simply bought an iPad.

I ended up googling "archos" and found this site. After a good amount of reading here and because of Walmart's return policy I decided not to hold off. I'm so glad I took the plunge.

I was able to easily get the tablet up and running the same night I received it. I was also able to get the android app store or whatever you call it set up and got the app for flash so that works. I have both the Kindle and Nook apps and have purchased some books. Setting up Wifi at home was no big deal and so far getting it while out and about have also been simple. Email was also very easy.

I bought myself a sweet leather case that has a small keyboard (for use with email) and I'm waiting for a screen protector. Now I need only to do some research into micrSD cards so I get the right thing.

I noticed that people talk about not being able to charge their tablet from other sources. When I purchased my case I purchased a car adaptor and a USB adaptor that were supposed to be for the archos 10.1 tablet. They have connector that is identical to the one that comes off of the plug in charger that came with the tablet. I got the case and accessories at http://www.newmp3technology.com/ shipping and receipt were lightening fast. I haven't tried the chargers yet because my battery lasts more than a day even when I use wifi for part of the time so I've been using the one that came with it.

I'm discovering new things about this tablet every time I use it. I feel like I've hardly scratched the surface of ways that I can use it. I originally set out to purchase an e-reader but this is so much more useful. I think that the extra screen width and weight make it feel more like a book. That might not matter to some but it makes for a better reading experience for me.

That was a pretty disjointed review but I'm very new at this so please forgive me.

Lannette

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 12:37 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Lannette wrote:
I'm discovering new things about this tablet every time I use it

Hello Lannette, :)

Have you tried the Overdrive setting?

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 12:49 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi xtrasystole,

You're not in cardiology are you? Asking because of your username.

Back on topic, I haven't tried the overdrive setting until you mentioned it. I've reset my tablet and am giving it a whirl. Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 7:26 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

A final update on my RMA experience. :( The turnaround was quite quick, only three or four days, but they did send a refurbished unit. The screen or screen protector has "bubbles" in it, near the camera, so I am less than happy over that. (My question, which I posted elsewhere, is whether the Archos 101 comes with a screen protector. If not, what is the plastic sheet covering the screen. It appears to be less than a mm smaller, all the way around screen. And, no, I didn't fail to peel off the shipping protector. There wasn't one. Does anyone know if this is removable and can it be replaced with a third party product? Thanks.)

I had a lot of USB problems before I realized that all USB cables are not created equal. My PC would not recognize the Archos while my laptop did. Suddenly, I realized that I was using a BB cable for the PC and the Archos supplied cable for the other. Since then, no problems. :D

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 2:52 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Larrie: Looks like someone left a screen protector on it. It should be ok to peel it off. Your RMA was quick like mine. I shipped it last week Wednesday because of distorted screen plus loose power plug and got word that it will be shipped last Monday. Hopefully my unit will be in decent shape.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:36 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

1. A101 16G
2. The Netherlands
3. Dixons (brick & mortar shop)

I've had it since march and I got the 16G model because they didn't have the 8G one; in fact I got the model on display because it was the last one in the shop. I was looking for a tablet to read webcomics and play flash games, and it is just perfect for that. The wide screen form factor was what attracted me to it in the first place, so of course I'm happy with it. This my first android device, but it is highly intuitive so it only took a couple of hours of playing with it to see how it works.

None of the horror stories in the thread happened to me, but I had just one problem the day I bought it: the internet connection. As I said, I got the model on display, so when I was in the shop I saw that everything was in working order. Imagine my surprise when I got home, connected to wifi, but the device wasn't acting like it was connected. I know it sounds strange, but this is exactly what it did: in settings it was telling me that it was connected, but the browser, appslib, and the registration behaved like it didn't. So I took it to the shop where it was showing the same problem, but they were closing and they suggested resetting the device, and if that doesn't work, I should bring it back. I didn't work, I brought it back the next day, they did a different reset, and it was fine.

I didn't have that problem again, but I got a different one when I went to my parents' house for Easter. The wifi connection might have been slower, I don't know for sure, but the device was behaving badly, everything was loading with speeds that I haven't seen since the old dial-up days, and both the browser and appslib were prone to freezing. When I got back, the problem was gone.

The screen quality seems to be completely in the eye of the beholder. I didn't let many people to play with it, mainly because it's MINE, but also because I don't like to see people poking the screen. I mean the screen is sensitive enough that it reacts even if I am wearing gloves (yes, I tried it because I was curious and because sometimes I don't even have to actually touch the screen to get a reaction), so why would anybody poke it hard enough to hear?

Anyway, I only let my younger brother really play with it, and he doesn't have a high opinion of the screen. Which was a surprise since I don't have any problems with it. From a landscape perspective, left and right are perfectly visible within 80 degrees from the perpendicular (so 160 in total), with up and down being worse as they are only perfectly visible within 45 degrees from the perpendicular. If I'm looking from the top at an angle bigger than 45 the colors look different (light blue background starts looking green), and if I'm looking from the bottom white becomes gray, gray becomes white, so If I'm looking at gray text on white I can't read it anymore at about 60 degrees from the perpendicular. To me those seem like ridiculous angles to use the device, so for me the screen is great. I'm not sure if this has an influence, but my eyesight is perfect, and my brother should use +0.5 glasses (and usually he doesn't).

I didn't get a screen protector because the glare isn't a problem unless I'm holding it at an angle that would reflect the lamp into my eye, and that is easily avoidable; I'm not planning on using it with dirty hands; and the screen only shows fingerprints when it is off. I did boy the sleeve when I got it, so that takes care of protecting the screen when I'm not using it.

The battery is good. I don't turn the wifi off, and during the weekdays I mostly use it for maybe half an hour in the morning and a couple of hours in the evening, with the device in standby in between, and I have to recharge it every other day. I don't take it with me during the day because I wouldn't get any work done. It looks like the battery drains faster when it is lower; when I was at around 25% it was loosing 1% every minute. The battery is also very slow to charge, especially when it is close to full. In about 9 hours it will go from 20% to 90%, but it would take at least 4 hours to get it from 90% to 100%.

As I said in the beginning, I got it for webcomics and flash games, and that is mostly what I'm doing with it. I got a few apps for weather and news, but I rarely use them; I got a few ereader apps, but I also have an eink ereader and I prefer it when it comes to reading books; and I got many games, but I'm either bored in 5 minutes, or play them for 4 hours straight (the device is just so comfortable to hold), neither of which is a good idea. I uninstalled everything that I'm not using.

The memory is an annoyance, mostly because I don't know what's using it. In System Monitor, if I close every other application, I never see more than 106 Mb as available. When it starts too many apps in the background, the web pages take longer to load. It isn't difficult to close the apps, but I do wonder what it is that I'm not seeing and uses up the rest of the memory.

Bottom line: I'm very happy with it, and I recommend it to others (with the mention that some people aren't happy with the screen).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:59 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

ARchos 101 8g w/sd card!
Amazaon.com

SD is a must!
Was waiting for ipad 2 ....then found this gem via google.got it for wife for mothers day...then i bought myself one!

does EVEYTHING i need it to do.......
cam does lack, tho in quality.
Battery life is much better than ipad.
medium user... read Kindle a lot on it..watch Big Bang Theory vids on the SD card...lotsa podcasts, facebook, and email...print to my wifi printer (additional app)
Android Market rules!
did i mention Angry Birds????? LOL

Love my Archos 101

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:52 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Internet Tablet 101
Amazon
16GB

I've always wanted a non-Microsoft non-Apple computer, I should say at the outset. I installed Linux on an old laptop but couldn't get wireless to work on it, but when I heard about Android tablets it intrigued me. My friends with Droids seem way happy. So I bought the 16GB Archos 101 for $340US just as this year of teaching was winding down. I have to admit, it took me a few hours to figure out everything. (Whether or not to turn it off, whether it should be on to charge, whether or not to shut off apps when I was using them, etc., all the embarrassing noob stuff).

But by the second day I was starting to get the hang of it. Accessed the Android Market, got apps for Youtube and social media. Then I discovered Google Books app and that was it for me -- I am an academic and I spend hours and hours reading pdf's of old books that are digitized by Google Books and at archive.org, so the tablet's utility as a reader has completely won me over. Just today, for instance, I spent several hours reading books from the 1840s and looking at pdf's on the university library website. Much more comfortable than my laptops or my pc. If you're looking for a reader, I love the Archos 101 because it takes me directly into my Google Books acct and lets me read the musty dusty old books perfectly.

Videos are good, music is good on it with headphones. I love it so much that I might end up buying textbooks for a new training program I start in the fall as ebooks only and not paper copies.

All in all, I love this little thing. It fills a need that I had, and it's fun to use. High marks from me! I haven't even bothered getting an SD yet, since in one month I've barely put anything onto the internal storage.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:34 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I have had my ARCHOS 101 since Jan 2011 V 2.3.236 and I love it!!!
Great Screen! touch. I haven't got it hooked up to my HDMI Tv screen yet as I need a proper cable for this device.
I have watched a few movie on it and they played just fine.
Wifi Works GREAT!
I loaded boingo wifinder http://boingo.com
and the device finds and connects to a wifi signal wonderfully!!
I can't get Fring or SKip to work which is my next project.
I have'nt figured how to use Google Market yet to dwnload apps, but again a simple learning curve.

This was a wonderful purchase, I recommend the ARCHOS 101 to all my friends.
Thanks for the product
Dave
EL Gato Feo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:30 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I am frustrated user of Archos 101. I pre-ordered the device last year and waited for 4 months to get the unit in my hand. Initially, I had hardware issues and the touch screen stopped working. I got it repaired by Archos. After the repair, the unit reboots by itself. It is pathetically slow. Sometimes it does not recognize the extended storage so the applications which moved to extended storage disappear. The wireless stops working(I disabled power save function also, but still wifi stops working suddenly). Now the problem is with power button. When press the power button to start the tablet, it does not show any thing on the screen. Sometimes it flickers. Everytime I send it for repair it costs me around 25$+my time. I repent for buying this product. It is waste of time and money. I was a big fan boy before getting the unit and with my experience I do not recommend it. I am waiting to make few more dollars and will go and buy Apple Ipad2. I know that unit works. By the way my tablet software is up to date.

Thank you.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:07 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

murthydevarakonda wrote:
Now the problem is with power button. When press the power button to start the tablet, it does not show any thing on the screen. Sometimes it flickers.

Is it when you start it after being turned off, or to wake it from sleep mode? I rarely turn it off, and I've had this problem when I wake it up. If I press the power button too quickly, it seems that it doesn't turn on the screen. If I press the button again, it goes to sleep after briefly turning the screen on, so it looks like it flickers. It was annoying in the beginning, especially because when it happened I would lose my patience and do some power button mashing that got me nowhere, but now I know what to do. If I press the button and nothing happens, I press it again (the screen will just flicker), and then again, slowly, and it works.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:17 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

hodosil wrote:
murthydevarakonda wrote:
Now the problem is with power button. When press the power button to start the tablet, it does not show any thing on the screen. Sometimes it flickers.

Is it when you start it after being turned off, or to wake it from sleep mode? I rarely turn it off, and I've had this problem when I wake it up. If I press the power button too quickly, it seems that it doesn't turn on the screen. If I press the button again, it goes to sleep after briefly turning the screen on, so it looks like it flickers. It was annoying in the beginning, especially because when it happened I would lose my patience and do some power button mashing that got me nowhere, but now I know what to do. If I press the button and nothing happens, I press it again (the screen will just flicker), and then again, slowly, and it works.

If your screen brightness is set to lower than about 16%, try increasing it above this - there is a long standing software bug where if the screen brightness is below this the tablet does not always wake when the power button is depressed. This is mentioned in a few other threads also.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:37 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

ArchosAngel wrote:
If your screen brightness is set to lower than about 16%, try increasing it above this - there is a long standing software bug where if the screen brightness is below this the tablet does not always wake when the power button is depressed. This is mentioned in a few other threads also.

Thanks! I think that I'll still continue the way I do it now because I prefer setting the brightness to minimum on all devices, but it's good to know.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 439 posts ]  Go to page Previous 118 19 20 21 22 Next