Archos 101 Internet Tablet (16G) | Build: 2.1-update1
Purchased: Singapore (13/11/10)Archos 101 HDMI Video
FIrst off, I love it. It took a few hours for me to cripple it but after re-formatting, starting over from scratch and then re-calibrating, it handles itself quite well.
- The screen: Hasn't bothered me. Yes, there are angles that create some difficulty, particularly in the light of day. However, I tend to hold my HTC Desire without having angle problems. I tend to sit centered in front of my TV without angle problems. I believe I can handle holding the tablet properly
- It has almost the same capabilities as far as my froyo phone, except it's not rooted and doesn't run Swype. I'm more than happy to wait for a stable release of froyo from Archos. Sure, there are a couple of apps or widgets that aren't for 2.1, but we'll get there. Otherwise, the GappsforArchos APK will get you to about 80% of the true experience of Froyo.
- The speed is fast enough. Internet is not the best here in Thailand, so I don't know how fast surfing really is. Fast enough, that's for sure. When 2.2 comes in, this tablet should fly. I tend to monkey around with my Android phone and now the tablet moreso, so I'm constantly hurting it's feelings which requires a reboot every once in a while. Yes, if you push this tablet, it will cry for a few seconds and you have to wait until it's ready.
- HDMI out is perfection. It basically can become a home entertaining tablet. It does not allow for dual screen, that's it only real drawback. In other words, you cannot use the tablet screen and the TV screen at the same time. So, the "switch to TV" really means you are moving to the TV and that's it.
- USB to ext-HD, no problems. I know that there are some issues with NTFS. I believe it loads as "corrupted" or something to that effect and it will want to format the drive. Walk away from that.
- Camera is horrible, video is good enough, but you will certainly not be filming your YouTube movies with it. Meh, I have too many devices that take pictures, don't care about the camera/video.
- It's sturdy, don't fool yourself. The squeak is just the fold-out kick stand. Any issue with the body giving off crunches and squeaks is just nitpicking. This is not made from DeBeers diamond glass encased in titanium alloy. It's a tablet, not a machine. It lets you surf the internet and check your emails while your fat butt is on the couch, so, let's not over glorify the competitively priced purpose of the Archo 101.
While even Froyo is not the OS we're looking for in a tablet, I don't see anyone returning their 101 because it doesn't "function" well. When it comes to the iPad, GalaxyTab, Viewsonic Gtablet, Archos101 and the rest of the available tablets on the market, each one has it's good points and bad points and certainly it's own price tag. If you are paying US dollars in the US, you're going to get a really incredible and potentially amazing device for a fraction of what you can get at a "higher end" price tag.
2.2 on this device? It's going to be the true test but, I'm pretty confident it's going to be everything we've been promised. I'll add more as things come to mind.