Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:43 am

All times are UTC+01:00




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 439 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 4 522 Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Owner Reviews - A101
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:35 pm 
Offline
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:52 am
Posts: 5191
Location: Hanapepe, HI
geep suggested a Sticky topic for Owner Reviews. So here it is - your one stop place to check user experiences with the A101.

Please:
1. Name Your Model - 8G or 16G
2. Country
3. Place of Purchase
4. Links for any of your Review Videos or Articles you've written
Remember you can EDIT your Review Post at any time if your experiences with the A101 changes.

Let's see those review folks!

Thanks,

Allen

_________________
-An old geek 8)
5IT|A70S|A101


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Owner Reviews - A101
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:49 am 
Offline
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:51 pm
Posts: 7
- Archos 101 - 16GB
- Thailand
- Buy from PowerFul HighEnd (Authorized dealer in Thailand from MemoryWorld Singapore) on 07/Nov/2010
Review(in Thai language but it's only a description of image):
Image review Part1 - Apps, Game
Image review Part2 - Video format
Facebook - unboxing image gallery


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Owner Reviews - A101
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:23 am 
Offline
Archos User
Archos User

Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:25 pm
Posts: 144
Location: Chonburi, Thailand
Archos 101 Internet Tablet (16G) | Build: 2.1-update1
Country: Thailand
Purchased: Singapore (13/11/10)
Archos 101 HDMI Video

FIrst off, I love it. It took a few hours for me to cripple it but after re-formatting, starting over from scratch and then re-calibrating, it handles itself quite well.

- The screen: Hasn't bothered me. Yes, there are angles that create some difficulty, particularly in the light of day. However, I tend to hold my HTC Desire without having angle problems. I tend to sit centered in front of my TV without angle problems. I believe I can handle holding the tablet properly ;)

- It has almost the same capabilities as far as my froyo phone, except it's not rooted and doesn't run Swype. I'm more than happy to wait for a stable release of froyo from Archos. Sure, there are a couple of apps or widgets that aren't for 2.1, but we'll get there. Otherwise, the GappsforArchos APK will get you to about 80% of the true experience of Froyo.

- The speed is fast enough. Internet is not the best here in Thailand, so I don't know how fast surfing really is. Fast enough, that's for sure. When 2.2 comes in, this tablet should fly. I tend to monkey around with my Android phone and now the tablet moreso, so I'm constantly hurting it's feelings which requires a reboot every once in a while. Yes, if you push this tablet, it will cry for a few seconds and you have to wait until it's ready.

- HDMI out is perfection. It basically can become a home entertaining tablet. It does not allow for dual screen, that's it only real drawback. In other words, you cannot use the tablet screen and the TV screen at the same time. So, the "switch to TV" really means you are moving to the TV and that's it.

- USB to ext-HD, no problems. I know that there are some issues with NTFS. I believe it loads as "corrupted" or something to that effect and it will want to format the drive. Walk away from that.

- Camera is horrible, video is good enough, but you will certainly not be filming your YouTube movies with it. Meh, I have too many devices that take pictures, don't care about the camera/video.

- It's sturdy, don't fool yourself. The squeak is just the fold-out kick stand. Any issue with the body giving off crunches and squeaks is just nitpicking. This is not made from DeBeers diamond glass encased in titanium alloy. It's a tablet, not a machine. It lets you surf the internet and check your emails while your fat butt is on the couch, so, let's not over glorify the competitively priced purpose of the Archo 101.

While even Froyo is not the OS we're looking for in a tablet, I don't see anyone returning their 101 because it doesn't "function" well. When it comes to the iPad, GalaxyTab, Viewsonic Gtablet, Archos101 and the rest of the available tablets on the market, each one has it's good points and bad points and certainly it's own price tag. If you are paying US dollars in the US, you're going to get a really incredible and potentially amazing device for a fraction of what you can get at a "higher end" price tag.

2.2 on this device? It's going to be the true test but, I'm pretty confident it's going to be everything we've been promised. I'll add more as things come to mind.

_________________
anothersaab.com/android-themes/


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Owner Reviews - A101
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:44 pm 
Offline
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:02 pm
Posts: 18
Thanks anotherarchos. I was starting to get concerned after reading some recent posts. You have restored my confidence that I am doing the right thing in waiting for the 101.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:10 pm 
Offline
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:45 pm
Posts: 49
A101 8gb
From Archos
USA
Received this morning.

This is not a full review by any means, but in light of all of the negative postings about the Display Quality, I wanted to go on record quickly.

In one word, the talk about display quality being sub par is NOT TRUE (opps, I guess that is two words...........).

The display is bright and crisp. The viewing angles are just fine. Exactly what I expected and hoped for. And not at all what I was lead to believe from some of the postings I have seen.

There is a brightness adjustment under the settings and turned up it even is usable in direct sunlight which I tried in the noonday Florida sun.

I will give a full review latter this evening when I can play with it (I'm at work right now) but I wanted to clear up the false statements being made.

Allen, you might want to editorialize some of the garbage, it is creating a truly false impression.

Freddy99


Last edited by freddy99 on Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Owner Reviews - A101
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:21 pm 
Offline
Archos User
Archos User

Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:19 pm
Posts: 142
USA, New Jersey.
Archos 101
Ordered from Archos store-- and cancelled order from somewhere else.- Probably why the resellers are restless....lol

Got it this morning. Have not been able to play too much with it as i was leaving for work when it was delivered.
Screen as the last post said- not as bad as everyone is saying. In fact Bright beautiful. Angles are fine. Tend to loose a little when really tilting it but- " who does that except someone looking for fault with the screen angles.- at that angle you are pretty much looking at the side of it......DUH!

Got to work and the whole office loves it. unfortunately got to work so i will really get into it and down load mkt hack etc. later. Will update sooner or later.

If you are on the fence about buying.....get off. It is worth every cent and more.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Owner Reviews - A101
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:22 pm 
Offline
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:52 am
Posts: 5191
Location: Hanapepe, HI
Aloha freddy99,

I sent you a PM, please read and follow it.

Also, please remember that the visual and touch quality of the screen is very subjective - a place where truth really lies in the eyes of the beholder.

Allen

_________________
-An old geek 8)
5IT|A70S|A101


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Owner Reviews - A101
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:25 pm 
Offline
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:52 am
Posts: 5191
Location: Hanapepe, HI
Nice to get positive feedback on the screen. Please keep it coming: the good, the bad and the wonderful!!!

Allen

_________________
-An old geek 8)
5IT|A70S|A101


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Owner Reviews - A101
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:51 pm 
Offline
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:55 pm
Posts: 18
fanofyou and other owners:

Can you please test with:
- 720p MKV with DTS-HD sound? (usually those MKVs you find in the internet)
- 1080p MKV

and return us how they play?


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:29 pm 
Offline
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:58 pm
Posts: 18
freddy99 wrote:
A101 8gb
From Archos
USA
Received this morning.

This is not a full review by any means, but in light of all of the negative postings about the Display Quality, I wanted to go on record quickly.

In one word, the talk about display quality being sub par is NOT TRUE (opps, I guess that is two words...........).

The display is bright and crisp. The viewing angles are just fine. Exactly what I expected and hoped for. And not at all what I was lead to believe from some of the postings I have seen.

There is a brightness adjustment under the settings and turned up it even is usable in direct sunlight which I tried in the noonday Florida sun.

I will give a full review latter this evening when I can play with it (I'm at work right now) but I wanted to clear up the false statements being made.

Allen, you might want to editorialize some of the garbage, it is creating a truly false impression.

Freddy99

I knew the was issue was way overblown by people. Very similar to when I was buying my 24" LCD moniter years back when there weren't many 1080P monitored. I bought a Dell Ultra sharp that used TN tech compared to Apples which use IPS. People were making ridiculous claim on how bad the screen was. Confuse, I bought both to try out. In the end, the Apple was better but was not worth the extra $500. Screens looked very similar with 5% to Apples. And return the Apple.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Owner Reviews - A101
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:46 pm 
Offline
Archos User
Archos User

Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:43 am
Posts: 112
That screen issue is funny. On all the video reviews the screen looks great. That cleverboxes video show the screen at an extreme angle and it looks great as well. I suspect people had crazy expectations.

_________________
ANDROIDTABFANS.COM!


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Owner Reviews - A101
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:59 pm 
Offline
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:44 pm
Posts: 26
Ameriswede wrote:
That screen issue is funny. On all the video reviews the screen looks great. That cleverboxes video show the screen at an extreme angle and it looks great as well. I suspect people had crazy expectations.


Great to hear that screen looks fine for US first shipments but I agree with Allen, that it does not mean anyone with a different opinion needs to be suppressed. Not only the quality perception is subjective in nature but manufacturers are known to change their suppliers all the time and sometimes screen quality is subject to the firmware version. Get all these three factors together and it is not uncommon to have completely polarizing opinions on, seemingly, the same subject.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Owner Reviews - A101
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:49 pm 
Offline
Archos User
Archos User

Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:19 pm
Posts: 142
fanofyou wrote:
USA, New Jersey.
Archos 101
Ordered from Archos store-- and cancelled order from somewhere else.- Probably why the resellers are restless....lol

Got it this morning. Have not been able to play too much with it as i was leaving for work when it was delivered.
Screen as the last post said- not as bad as everyone is saying. In fact Bright beautiful. Angles are fine. Tend to loose a little when really tilting it but- " who does that except someone looking for fault with the screen angles.- at that angle you are pretty much looking at the side of it......DUH!

Got to work and the whole office loves it. unfortunately got to work so i will really get into it and down load mkt hack etc. later. Will update sooner or later.

If you are on the fence about buying.....get off. It is worth every cent and more.


Continued:

Added market. Works Great.
Kindle App - soft keys in the way like a few others have said. Haven't had time to search the forum to see if any fixes. Please let me know if anyway to fix.
Will be playing with it more later. Did have a slight screen issue seemed like it was not registering in the middle of the screen. Did a reboot after adding market and works great now. (first reboot since opening package so I figured that would work-also recalib screen- but again working great.)

I have a full plate with work before the Holiday so i will try to get to some of the things I saw others asking for as well as post a video. Hopefully by the weekend. But still loving it even more. Oh yeah- I got the internet "Tablet" - yes the "T" was there. ;)


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Owner Reviews - A101
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:14 pm 
Offline
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:04 am
Posts: 41
Great news on the 'T'. Who cares if the screen looks good if the 'T' is missing. ;)


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Owner Reviews - A101
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:00 am 
Offline
Archos User
Archos User

Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:12 pm
Posts: 59
I love this SOOOOOOOOOO much!!!!
what a great tablet the T is not missing!!!

Love it 5 stars!!!

perry


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Owner Reviews - A101
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:04 am 
Offline
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:09 am
Posts: 8
1. 8G
2. US
3. Archos.com
4. (((pics to be posted shortly)))


The Good:
-The touch screen is very sensitive, and very clear.
-The sound is clear and LOUD, especially in games.
-The accelerometer is responsive.
-The device has HDMI out, no proprietary dock or adapter needed.
-The kickstand is quiet (despite early reports).
-Backgrounds scale properly to the device.

The Bad:
-The viewing angles aren't that great at all angles (expected); However, the viewing angles are NOT EVEN CLOSE to how terrible my Viewsonic Gtablet angles are.
-256mb of ram gets used up pretty fast, I found myself having to use the "System Monitor" app to close the running processes when the system bogged down.
-Forget about the camera on this thing, its that bad.

Overall:
This tablet is currently on Eclair, which is kind of annoying and makes a true comparison to the Viewsonic Gtablet pointless until Froyo is released. Having said that, I am now 100% sure I am keeping the 101 and returning the Gtablet. The display on the 101 is hands down better than the Gtablet, both in viewing angles and resolution. I did a browser test with the 101 (on 2.1) and the Gtablet (on 2.2) and they were identical in load times and responsiveness. Also, the device is MUCH less heavy than the Gtablet, yet it still feels sturdy. I had no problems with squeaky parts or rattles in my 101. I will be saving right at $100 by keeping the 101 and returning the Gtablet. My one concern is the dev community; the Gtablet already has an awesome following and custom roms (Including CM 6.1 thanks to Bekit @xda). I hope the devs get to work on the 101 pronto!

Thanks for reading, Ill post a full side by side review of the 101/Gtablet in the next few days.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Owner Reviews - A101
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:24 am 
Offline
Archos User
Archos User

Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:27 pm
Posts: 103
Nice review. It's a shame about the camera. Oh well ............


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Owner Reviews - A101
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:32 am 
Offline
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:35 am
Posts: 551
Chris_W wrote:
1. 8G
2. US
3. Archos.com
4. (((pics to be posted shortly)))


The Good:
-The touch screen is very sensitive, and very clear.
-The sound is clear and LOUD, especially in games.
-The accelerometer is responsive.
-The device has HDMI out, no proprietary dock or adapter needed.
-The kickstand is quiet (despite early reports).
-Backgrounds scale properly to the device.

The Bad:
-The viewing angles aren't that great at all angles (expected); However, the viewing angles are NOT EVEN CLOSE to how terrible my Viewsonic Gtablet angles are.
-256mb of ram gets used up pretty fast, I found myself having to use the "System Monitor" app to close the running processes when the system bogged down.
-Forget about the camera on this thing, its that bad.

Overall:
This tablet is currently on Eclair, which is kind of annoying and makes a true comparison to the Viewsonic Gtablet pointless until Froyo is released. Having said that, I am now 100% sure I am keeping the 101 and returning the Gtablet. The display on the 101 is hands down better than the Gtablet, both in viewing angles and resolution. I did a browser test with the 101 (on 2.1) and the Gtablet (on 2.2) and they were identical in load times and responsiveness. Also, the device is MUCH less heavy than the Gtablet, yet it still feels sturdy. I had no problems with squeaky parts or rattles in my 101. I will be saving right at $100 by keeping the 101 and returning the Gtablet. My one concern is the dev community; the Gtablet already has an awesome following and custom roms (Including CM 6.1 thanks to Bekit @xda). I hope the devs get to work on the 101 pronto!

Thanks for reading, Ill post a full side by side review of the 101/Gtablet in the next few days.


Yeah I had a g-tablet for a few days, the screen was nice when you looked at it right and down right epileptic when you looked at it wrong. I am also looking forward to comparing the archos to my experience with the g-tab. also found the g-tab a little heavy and didn't like the too large and non-symetrical frame edges. On the other hand the gtab had some amazing hardware.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Owner Reviews - A101
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:28 am 
Offline
Archos User
Archos User

Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:52 pm
Posts: 130
I'll give a few quick points after playing with it for an hour.

1. 8GB
2. US
3. Archos.com

The screen is not as bad as folks are making it out to be. The screen itself is crisp and clear and if you turn up the brightness a hair it's much better. There are some angles where it's not great though so I can see how that would frustrate some folks. Market install was fairly easy, and I was able to get most of the basic apps up and running. No slingplayer so I am bummed about that a little. Angry Birds looks great and is fun (duh). Facebook app works pretty well. Kindle app is same as everyone else has said, cuts off the last line because of the software buttons but I think there is some sort of a workaround for that one as stated above. Someone mentioned the sound on this puppy. Gotta say, it's really stellar compared to an iPad. It's crisp, clear, and LOUD. I was very surprised by this. Browser is great, very fast surfing on my cable modem at home. Still have to test out video camera, running youtube, movies, etc. All in all, very happy right now with this. I slapped a 16GB memory card in there I had so I have 24GB available to fill up.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Owner Reviews - A101
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:51 am 
Offline
Archos User
Archos User

Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:40 pm
Posts: 56
Let's say on the scale from 1 to 10. (iPad screen = 10/10 ;) )

How do you rate the Archos 101 screen?


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 439 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 4 522 Next

All times are UTC+01:00


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited