Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:02 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:35 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

I want to install the original Atari 800 Xl OS (1983) on my Archos.

Someone tell me how pls.thx.bye.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:26 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Actually building on this... I wounder how dificault it would be to port a flavor of linux for the 101..

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:40 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Think Linux has already been ported for the Gen8s. Another post gives a link for the SDE download. Fastest SDE yet. We didn't get it for the 5IT for 4 or 5 months - lead the way to rooting the 5IT.

Allen

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:56 am 

tomt92 wrote:
Actually building on this... I wounder how dificault it would be to port a flavor of linux for the 101..

So long as I get some free time to work on it, I plan on getting Ubuntu 10.10 netbook on my A101.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:40 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I'm with Allen, very funny. As has been mentioned there are issues trying to get any closed source operating system running on a "foreign" device. Apple has a very tightly controlled "walled garden" as far as iOS goes and while Android is referred to as a phone OS iOS is too. Granted they made some changes to the iPad, but those appear to be cosmetic, not structural. Windows... Intel introduced the Itanium years ago running RISC and Windows never ran on it right. IBM dumped project Monterey to run Unix and ran Linux, which led to the SCO law suit debacle. AMD introduced an x86 compatible dual mode 32/64 bit chip. Linux ran on it right away and Windows was in beta for 2-3 years. They only way you will see Windows run on ARM is maybe in a virtual machine in the next generation.

I love Android, but on a device like the 101 I will concede that a windowed environment might be desirable. However aside from phone OSs there are also desktop bound mouse and keyboard driven OSs that are all about menus... Perhaps the most interesting new OS is a collaboration between Nokia and Intel called MeeGo and the link is their tablet experience. This should be dual booting on Archos before too long. I can get excited about this!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:48 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Thanks for the vid Sequitur..

Must say its a nice interface.. there are actually a lot of peices that remind me of the new interface for the windows 7 phone.. I must say that i like the backgrounded tasks drawer.. Again this is like an old add on for a iPod/Iphone app called backgrounder where you would hit the home button twice and get a snapshot of "open" window..

The thing is it seems that all the tablet apps os's that are coming out are just variations of Android and ios..

I guess my wish list would be a dual mode device that had a play mode and a work mode.. Ie when i just wanted to watch videos, surf that sort of thing i get a nice clean easy to use interface (i like the MeeGo tile interface for this).. When i want to do some work i can change over to a more robust, desktop like experience.. I know dual boot, but it would be nice if it was all the same OS, shared some of the same apps, and defiantly the same storage space.... Sorry but the most annoying thing about dual boot is when you need a file that is on he other side in a format that you can't even read in the current OS..

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:13 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

tomt92 wrote:
Sorry but the most annoying thing about dual boot is when you need a file that is on he other side in a format that you can't even read in the current OS..

Aloha tomt92,

For me it'll take another two years for tablet tablet pcs to catch up to traditional pcs. I don't care much about dual boot because I've done it for years. What I'm interested in is Virtual Machines - VM. Supporting IBM's VM mainframe OS was my job from the mid-1980s until I retired in 2002. In the late 1990s when VMWare came out with VM for Linux and Windows I got in at the beta level at work. When it went production I bought a copy for work and home.

Today there are several products running VM hosting on Windows, MacOS, and Linux, including the free VirtualBox. With VM solutions your pc runs two OSs at the same time. So you not only have access to all your files at once, you have access to all your applications at once. This is not like running RDP or VNC because with them you have network lag. With VM you share the hardware w/o lag. A Linux VM running in a Windows VM host, or vice versa, plays video perfectly and runs GIMP perfectly.

Currently Tablet PCs lack the hardware power to run Virtual Machines. As ARM comes to the Windows OSes, and Intel/AMD come to Android we'll start to see some tablet pcs with the the RAM and CPU/GPU processing power to run multiple OSes at the same time on tablet pcs. Then file sharing and app sharing become transparent.

I don't have any desire to run Linux anymore. It's still the last OS to get hw drivers for new technology. My last foray into the Linux world came in the fall of 2008 when 5 different popular distros failed to install PERFECTLY on my Dell 530. Window and MacOS perfect out of the box.

Looking at tablet pcs, we've got basically 4 OSes (forget MeeGo for now):
1. Linux
2. iOS
3. Android
4. Windows

Linux
I installed Linux as part of rooting my 5IT. I will admit it was pretty cool seeing the familar desktop on a 5 inch screen and that it took a lot of will power not to play. I didn't play, just continued rooting the 5IT.

The problem with Linux on tablet pcs is the same as on non-tablet pcs: hardware drivers for the latest technology. I'll leave Linux on tablets to the young hackers.

iOS
iOS has an App oriented File System which means if two Apps play a video then each App must have it's own copy of the video file. What a waste of space. This aspect of iOS disgusts me so much I won't describe any of iOS's other features which provoke nausea in this old geek.

Suffice it to say iOS lacks the features I want in a tablet pc OS.

Android
Google hasn't even defined the hardware for Android running on tablet pcs. Even if they had, each company gets to tweak Android for their hardware and UI. Kool right!?!? Not to me because Android Apps then may run on one company's tablet differently than on another's tablet. Additionally Google has so many versions of Android out that companies like Archos have to expend a lot of effort to go from one version to another. App developers in this environment also have this multiple versions burden.

I figure two years to a robust mature Android OS running on phones and all types of pcs: tablets, netbooks, desktops, etc.

Windows
Windows is still the most widely used pc OS on the planet. Despite Apple, Linux, and Android. If you want to perform a task on a pc Windows is your best bet. Except on tablets. Because Windows tablet hardware is very slow and the software wasn't designed for tablet pcs.

For example, I own an Archos 9 pc tablet running Windows 7 starter. It runs most of what I want with too small icons and a not quite comfortable onscreen keyboard. It has a 1.2 Ghz Intel z515 - really slow. Netflix just runs ok. With Hulu and YouTube I have to set the quality to 360p for stutter free play. Additionally, I'm moving from Photoshop to Gimp for drawing and image editing. Gimp runs on the A9. Drawing is ok. However I don't know where all the Gimp features tools reside. I'm going back to WinVista on my Dell with 60 inch monitor to learn Gimp because it's too much effort for me to learn it on a 9 inch screen.

Overall I'm satisfied with the A9 as a starter Win7 tablet. But I want to get a faster Win7 tablet asap. But the low cost tablets don't exist yet. This is changing. 2011 will see Intel coming out with some decently fast processors for tablet pcs. 2012 sees Win8 coming with enchanced tablet features.

By 2012 I expect the Windows experience on tablets and non-tablets to be virtually the same and very comfortable.

Conclusion
For me it's a tossup between Android and Windows to dominate the tablet market in 2012. I give the edge to Windows from the installed base of users and software. I want a tablet which runs Virtual Machines: then I can run, Android, Linux and Windows at the same time so I have more choices for which programs I use on my tablet. I expect to get my wish by 2013.

For now I have no desire for dual boot - too little functionality for me. I expect to have both Android tablets and Windows tablets at the same time at least until 2013. Don't see Apples MacOS coming to tablet pcs anytime soon because Apple has the obstacle of iOS in the way.

All in all a nice time in this era of very primitive technology. We're making progress - slowly, but surely. :D

Allen

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:16 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

AllenPapapetrou wrote:
tomt92 wrote:
Sorry but the most annoying thing about dual boot is when you need a file that is on he other side in a format that you can't even read in the current OS..

Aloha tomt92,

For me it'll take another two years for tablet tablet pcs to catch up to traditional pcs. I don't care much about dual boot because I've done it for years. What I'm interested in is Virtual Machines - VM. Supporting IBM's VM mainframe OS was my job from the mid-1980s until I retired in 2002. In the late 1990s when VMWare came out with VM for Linux and Windows I got in at the beta level at work. When it went production I bought a copy for work and home.

Today there are several products running VM hosting on Windows, MacOS, and Linux, including the free VirtualBox. With VM solutions your pc runs two OSs at the same time. So you not only have access to all your files at once, you have access to all your applications at once. This is not like running RDP or VNC because with them you have network lag. With VM you share the hardware w/o lag. A Linux VM running in a Windows VM host, or vice versa, plays video perfectly and runs GIMP perfectly.

Currently Tablet PCs lack the hardware power to run Virtual Machines. As ARM comes to the Windows OSes, and Intel/AMD come to Android we'll start to see some tablet pcs with the the RAM and CPU/GPU processing power to run multiple OSes at the same time on tablet pcs. Then file sharing and app sharing become transparent.

I don't have any desire to run Linux anymore. It's still the last OS to get hw drivers for new technology. My last foray into the Linux world came in the fall of 2008 when 5 different popular distros failed to install PERFECTLY on my Dell 530. Window and MacOS perfect out of the box.

Looking at tablet pcs, we've got basically 4 OSes (forget MeeGo for now):
1. Linux
2. iOS
3. Android
4. Windows

Linux
I installed Linux as part of rooting my 5IT. I will admit it was pretty cool seeing the familar desktop on a 5 inch screen and that it took a lot of will power not to play. I didn't play, just continued rooting the 5IT.

The problem with Linux on tablet pcs is the same as on non-tablet pcs: hardware drivers for the latest technology. I'll leave Linux on tablets to the young hackers.

iOS
iOS has an App oriented File System which means if two Apps play a video then each App must have it's own copy of the video file. What a waste of space. This aspect of iOS disgusts me so much I won't describe any of iOS's other features which provoke nausea in this old geek.

Suffice it to say iOS lacks the features I want in a tablet pc OS.

Android
Google hasn't even defined the hardware for Android running on tablet pcs. Even if they had, each company gets to tweak Android for their hardware and UI. Kool right!?!? Not to me because Android Apps then may run on one company's tablet differently than on another's tablet. Additionally Google has so many versions of Android out that companies like Archos have to expend a lot of effort to go from one version to another. App developers in this environment also have this multiple versions burden.

I figure two years to a robust mature Android OS running on phones and all types of pcs: tablets, netbooks, desktops, etc.

Windows
Windows is still the most widely used pc OS on the planet. Despite Apple, Linux, and Android. If you want to perform a task on a pc Windows is your best bet. Except on tablets. Because Windows tablet hardware is very slow and the software wasn't designed for tablet pcs.

For example, I own an Archos 9 pc tablet running Windows 7 starter. It runs most of what I want with too small icons and a not quite comfortable onscreen keyboard. It has a 1.2 Ghz Intel z515 - really slow. Netflix just runs ok. With Hulu and YouTube I have to set the quality to 360p for stutter free play. Additionally, I'm moving from Photoshop to Gimp for drawing and image editing. Gimp runs on the A9. Drawing is ok. However I don't know where all the Gimp features tools reside. I'm going back to WinVista on my Dell with 60 inch monitor to learn Gimp because it's too much effort for me to learn it on a 9 inch screen.

Overall I'm satisfied with the A9 as a starter Win7 tablet. But I want to get a faster Win7 tablet asap. But the low cost tablets don't exist yet. This is changing. 2011 will see Intel coming out with some decently fast processors for tablet pcs. 2012 sees Win8 coming with enchanced tablet features.

By 2012 I expect the Windows experience on tablets and non-tablets to be virtually the same and very comfortable.

Conclusion
For me it's a tossup between Android and Windows to dominate the tablet market in 2012. I give the edge to Windows from the installed base of users and software. I want a tablet which runs Virtual Machines: then I can run, Android, Linux and Windows at the same time so I have more choices for which programs I use on my tablet. I expect to get my wish by 2013.

For now I have no desire for dual boot - too little functionality for me. I expect to have both Android tablets and Windows tablets at the same time at least until 2013. Don't see Apples MacOS coming to tablet pcs anytime soon because Apple has the obstacle of iOS in the way.

All in all a nice time in this era of very primitive technology. We're making progress - slowly, but surely. :D

Allen

Well stated Allen +1