Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:32 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:44 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hello,

I have a archos 70 250 gig tablet. Id like to change the hard drive to either an ssd drive or flash drive. Is this possible & how can i do it. any help is appreciated. Thanks

:D :) :o :lol: :p :badgrin: :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:20 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I dont think its possible. The hard drives either HDD or SSD are made only for Archos and can not be enchanged that easily. I've heard that there is a guy who can make it work but I dont think it's worth it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:48 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Hello,

I've done this same thing and was the first to upgrade my Archos 70 to 1Tb hdd. Search my posts...if you need help let me know. It's still and was one of my favorite thing to do.
I later upgraded my 3 or four Archos 80 G9 & 101 G9 with 1TB.

I never wrote a guide for gen9. It's pretty much the samething for G9 or G8 tablets. You can search here on how to do it. But also on xda forum somebody took time write a guide after following our paths. Check there. if you can't find it let me know.

Now my experience: I came to the conclusion that in my case SSD was not worth it and I went with the 1tb upgrade. Why? Well, I never saw speed improvement or significant battery improvement. Only gain would be durability since SSD is less prone to break due to movement. Which was my main purpose of SSD route. I speculate that the reason for this is that Archos already pairs the tablet with flash memory before accessing the hdd. So weather you replace this hdd with SSD or not you will still transit thru that flash memory cashing(2gb).

The cost of SSD vs the massive 1tb hdd with all the space you gain, kept me on the 1tb.

But note that most 1tb Hdd are 9mm and it does push a little against the screen
While the SSD mostly would be 7mm which would fit nicely and replace the momentus thin hdd use by archos which are also 7mm.

If you have other questions let me know. Check XDA there's a extensive guide Gen 9 on how to.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 12:09 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Could you provide some insight on which SSD brands/models are best to use?

I've heard many positive reviews on apple forums regarding this samsung PRO 840 SSD. Would it be a smart choice or should I look for something else? Any suggestions?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:14 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi,
I also succesfully replaced a hard drive on my Archos 70 250Gb model and so I upgraded to 750Gb model

Full video, uncut, realtime, 60 minutes EXACTLY ALL OPERATION
https://youtu.be/ZcLjyP8Geis

No sound on the file...

Everybody can do this ! It is very easy