Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:41 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:51 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi Guys.
I have been trying to update the Facebook app however I get a message saying "insufficient storage".
I have loads of storage space!!!! Any ideas?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:20 pm 

your app space is tiny, and requires regular attention to avoid filling up. See my sticky topic in the general gen 8 section... something about one cure for slowdowns.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:53 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Puffpuff, with a time being and with many applications installed and transferred to SD, my Archos 70 became very slow. Though almost all applications were transferred to SD, there were only 32MB left free.
It was taking up to 2 minutes to update home screen, even just after I turn it in other position.
I was thinking about buying new tablet but decided to try Urukdroid 1.6 first.
What can I say? It was like buying a new Tablet. I received 1 GB place for Program installation. My device is working now 2-3 time quicker, home screen redraw takes few seconds only. And plus to all this I am able to hide right side buttons now, if needed!
I was following step by step instructions and all was installed and working just in 10 minutes.
Oh, and last: I have double boot now, so I can return back to official firmware anytime I want to, all software is there still.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:40 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Yup, watcher is right. Install Urukdroid, and you will revive your Archos Puffpuff. I having the same issue with you also. Just read carefully and follow the video instruction in here http://code.google.com/p/urukdroid/wiki/Installation

I think Archos should have set urukdroid as default. It solves many issues

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:45 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Urukdroid is being presented as a panacea while significant drawbacks are not mentioned.

There is a very good source of information at http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=895599 which is Urukdroid author's official announcement/feedback/support thread. I would strongly suggest browsing it before going ahead with an install so that you have a decent idea of what to expect. It's a huge thread with 100s of pages so read the first page for status/summary and perhaps then work backwards from the end so you are not wasting time on stuff that is only relevant to outdated versions.

I have used Urukdroid on an A43IT and spent plenty of time discovering why it behaves like it does and reading other people's experiences.

You get more space for apps. This is a huge bonus. People mention this all the time. Hurrah.

You get more drivers and can use fuse filesystem, iptables, encfs, nfs and so on. If you're a dedicated Linux user this can be extremely useful, possibly so for BSD and OS X users, not at all for Windows users.

You get the chance to set configurations that are not available to you in the stock firmware. This can be interesting and over time can become a lesson in why the Archos devs made certain choices and how their decisions actually make sense, especially in terms of stability and power management.

There are some things that most Urukdroid advocates somehow forget to ever mention when encouraging people to use it:

You lose hardware accelerated video playback. This is a huge deficiency unless you are not going to watch video on your multimedia tablet (ahem).

Urukdroid's CPU scaling is more oriented to performance and less to power saving. This gives a somewhat snappier feel, but means battery life is much shorter, and if you watch videos then battery life is just dreadful (because all video decoding is done in software not by the dedicated hardware). The CPU frequency scaling governor and max rate can supposedly be configured both via a GUI and via the shell. In my experience it made no difference: the device never idles and is always drawing more power than the stock firmware. This is worst on the A70 with hard disk because on the A70 Urukdroid is not installed to flash memory, it has to go on the hard disk which in consequence never stops spinning!. In that case the battery simply drains to empty even when not in use i.e. overnight because the device never sleeps. Remember that as well as the inconvenience there is also the fact that your battery has a limited lifespan which is measured in recharge cycles and that these devices are designed with the expectation they will idle sometimes in order to cool down. A firmware with such severe power management problems is hugely curtailing the lifespan of the device.

Many people have problems with WiFi not connecting or with it failing to maintain a connection.

When people say their device is "2-3 time quicker" or "50% faster" or "200% quicker" or even "perfect" or some other astonishing figure/claim you need to bear in mind that this defies the laws of physics, unless there has been the discovery of a special magic power that defies the limitations of the hardware, and please notice that this is supported by ZERO DATA and is PURELY SUBJECTIVE assertion. Pay attention, listen, consider, but don't forget to switch on your bullshit detector.

If you have an A70 with hard disk then Urukdroid is a very long way from being a good firmware replacement. If you have a different model then try it and see if the benefits outweigh the drawbacks, lots of people find they do. Otherwise you can try following viking's advice about managing your apps and clearing app cache.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:30 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

julian67, there is no magic power or something like this in explaining why Urukdroid works quicker as Archos firmware. All is quite logical. Your explanations and facts are correct as well. The only problem is that your facts and explanations are not linked to the special circumstances when Urukdroid was recommended to install.
If you still have lot of free memory and you did not transfer many applications to SD, your Archos 70 will work with Archos FW fine.
You troubles will start after you transfer number of applications to SD in order to free your system memory for new applications. The more applications you transfer to SD, the more slowly your Archos performs. It is not Archos specific problems, it is problem of all Android devices.
The cure of this is known as well: to increase system memory, so that you install applications not to SD but to the system area.
This is what Urukdroid does: it increases you system area to 1 GB + creates special area for so called swap memory. Swap memory increases performance as well.
User has three options, basically:
1. Work with Archos FW constantly installing and removing applications keeping good performance
2. Work with Archos FW transferring applications to SD and experiencing slow and unstable performance.
3. Install Urukdroid and have almost no limitations in system area and pretty good and stable performance.
Your contra:
1. You lose hardware accelerated video playback. I did not have any issues with HD videos that I had, so far. I am not sure that I did not lose hardware accelerated video playback but I cannot see the difference.
2. “battery life is much shorter” – I did not see the difference. Battery life was quite short under Archos as well. But if it is really so, you can always boot your device in Archos FW when you find yourself away from the power plug for a long time.
3. “Many people have problems with WiFi not connecting”. Archos loses ability to connect to the WiFi through the settings panel. Connection is done through the special widget which is easy to use and that works even quicker, actually
4. If you have an A70 with hard disk… I cannot comment here, I have SD version.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:54 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Watcher wrote:
I am not sure that I did not lose hardware accelerated video playback but I cannot see the difference.

You did. Claiming not to be able to notice is one way of dealing with the issue I suppose but speculating that you did not lose hardware accelerated video decoding falls into the category of wishful thinking or the assumption of magic I noted earlier. The driver isn't there, so HW based decoding is physically impossible. My A43 running stock or Chrulri root can play back 720p across my wireless LAN without putting any great load on the CPU. Any gen 8 running UrukDroid (or CyanogenMod) doing the same thing (or even playing it back from internal storage!) will be maxxing out the CPU, which leads to...

Watcher wrote:
2. “battery life is much shorter” – I did not see the difference. Battery life was quite short under Archos as well. But if it is really so, you can always boot your device in Archos FW when you find yourself away from the power plug for a long time.

If your powers of observation fail you and you have a reason to doubt both the physical laws and the plentiful reports of other users then you could make a real comparison for yourself i.e. from a full charge play a queue of 720p video and measure how much time elapses before you hit 15% power left. Do this once with UrukDroid and once with Stock, using identical settings. This will demonstrate beyond any dispute that watching video without HW video decoding makes a huge negative difference to battery life.

Watcher wrote:
3. “Many people have problems with WiFi not connecting”. Archos loses ability to connect to the WiFi through the settings panel. Connection is done through the special widget which is easy to use and that works even quicker, actually

Works even quicker huh? C'mon, the standard Android system has my WPA2 network connected as soon as I boot or resume from sleep, before I can even touch the screen to use it! And it would be quicker if I had to use a "special widget"? Would that be "magically" quicker by any chance? Oh wait, I forgot: UrukDroid's power management issues mean it never sleeps so the resume issue doesn't arise :roll:

Watcher wrote:
4. If you have an A70 with hard disk… I cannot comment here, I have SD version.

Exactly. I suggested that UrukDroid has some problems but is worth trying on a flash memory version but should be avoided on a Hard Disk version because these issues have particularly negative impact on those models, and this is then "refuted" by an UrukDroid "advocate" who doesn't have a disk version and who believes he might have beaten the laws of physics to retain HW video acceleration, and declines to even acknowledge (inevitable, guaranteed) increased CPU use or shorter battery life. .....sigh.

I actually think UrukDroid is impressive in many respects and the authors have done as good a job as is possible within the constraints of a device whose video driver is proprietary and unavailable to them, which is unfortunately the norm with embedded ARM boards/devices. It will still suit many people very well. But what is not so good is it people pushing it like a salesman selling an old car with suspiciously new paint. It has some very real issues which "advocates" either completely refuse to acknowledge or decline to accept. Battery life is a huge issue on portable devices that don't have user-replacable batteries because as well as issues of utility and convenience it directly impacts on the useful lifespan of the device. Other things being equal a gen8 running stock firmware is going live a much longer life than the same device running UrukDroid or CyanogenMod. It will have longer time between charges and the difference in lifespan could be in many months or even years i.e. maybe my stock firmware device lasts 5 years but my UrukDroid or CM only lasts 2 or 3. This is completely plausible because as well as the Lithium polymer battery having a lifespan limited by the number of charge cycles it is also permanently reduced by running hot, and UrukDroid constantly loads the CPU and always runs hotter than stock firmware......and it does this even if you don't notice, don't want to know, or believe the opposite!

What would be so difficult about saying: "UrukDroid can solve this particular issue but it does have some of it's own. It might be exactly what you need, or at least an improvement, but it isn't perfect or magic. Here are the main benefits and drawbacks." ? That would be informative, honest advocacy and would let people make an informed decision before doing something that can degrade the lifespan, value and utility of their device.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:44 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

You are wrong.

I don't know what you did wrong but HW accelerated video is working just fine under UrukDroid.
Even flash is using it, so you have done something wrong.

Or are you talking about CM7? There hw is not working.

And of course no one besides you has shorter batterielive because no one with the harddrive version is using it.
As stated here and on xda countless times, because you hd guys didn't help $auron to produce a version that is installed
on the small internal sd, you will have the hd spinning all the time.

So stop hitting others because you have done something wrong.