Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:59 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Charger help?!?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:43 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

A few days or so ago, I realized my A70 wasn't charging after hooking it up. I moved the wire around quite a bit and finally it charged while keepin it in this certain position. Since then I still had to move around the wire when hooking it up to get it to charge, but it seemed like I didn't have to move it as much as that first time. So earlier I was charging it and it seemed to charge without much moving of the wire. Then I unhooked the charger for a minute, before it was done charging, and a few minutes later I went to put it on the charger again. Now it's not charging at all, even after fussing a bunch with the wire.

A similar problem happened to me years ago with a computer. I had to move the cord around into a certain position until it would charge my laptop. Eventually I had to do it more and more until I had to get the adapter replaced. It happened a second time after a year and the adaptor had to be replaced again, but same symptom of moving the wire into a certain position to make it charge.

Anyway, now what? I thought my USB wire it came with would allow it to charge through my computer, but apparently it doesn't? (Is that correct?) Does Archos replace chargers? I got it in June 2011.

Post subject: Re: Charger help?!?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:20 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Ok, I hook up my A70 through the usb to my computer (without mounting it), and then I pressed the power button on the side to turn off the screen. When I do that, (screen is off), the power button is lit up. Does that mean it's charging, although it may be a slow charge?

I'm just basically trying to figure out if this device can actually charge through the usb provided that came in the box with the tablet. I'm sure somebody here must know this, at least. I'm not using the tablet so I can keep the charge for as long as possible. But if it can charge through the computer with the usb provided by Archos when I bought it, that would be a great relief, no matter how long it takes to charge.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:42 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

A quick search on here would have found the answer to your question.

In summary... No, you cannot charge a A70IT through the USB port, only with the charger.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:54 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Wow. :roll: Thanks, but I spent what must've been hours (including before posting and more afterwards) searching various terms/ways on here regarding my concerns! I actually came across conflicting info about the charging through the usb, which is why I later asked about that after I was under the impression initially that it doesn't.

But that's not even my main question, thus the reason for me going into such detail about the whole problem. I was looking to know if anyone has had the same symptoms before they couldn't charge, as most problems I came across were ones in which they couldn't charge immediately or within a few months after purchase, or ones in which it sounded like the A70 device itself was busted. In the meantime, I got a hold of customer service yesterday and they're replacing the charger, so hopefully it will really ship out in "1-2 days." But if anyone has had the same issue with similar symptoms, I would like to hear if it was actually just the charger or something else.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:25 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Ah okay, sorry.

I hope it is the charger, sounds like it, that is easier to replace than the internals of the tablet itself. I've not had this problem myself.

I must admit I dislike the path that Archos chose for charging the device, I don't know why they didn't go the USB charging route, costs probably. The charging port seems very fragile to me, micro-usb would have been much better. Anyway, it is what it is.

I think the conflicting info you found was probably about recovering a device from "a coma", some people seem to report that having the charger plugged in and the USB connected to their PC while pressing the power button for 10secs seems to help recover the device, I haven't found it necessary.