Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:51 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Best A70 FW version?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:32 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I am currently on version 2.1.8. What I understand the different versions have different problems. But which version is most stable with least problems? Is it the latest? Or should I stick with the one I have?

Post subject: Re: Best A70 FW version?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:24 pm 

I think the latest is definately the finest. The only annoyance for me is about one time out of 5 wakeups from a shallow sleep, the wifi wont resume without manual prodding, but it is pretty cool that you can leave wifi switched on during shallow sleep with virtually no drain... unlike most earlier firmwares or my other devices.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:49 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I got my A70 in June 2011. I can't find anywhere that says which firmware I have, but I never updated, so it has whatever it came with in June 2011. I feel like just upgrading it already to the current 2.4.83. Anyone having problems with that, or does it seem to be fine?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:58 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

The best would be to change your FW to Urukdroid 1.6.
1. >50% of speed increase
2. 1GB free memory for the programs
3. Dual boot (if needed, you can boot back to the official FW)
4. Choice to hide right buttons

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:08 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Watcher wrote:

Sounds interesting. If I can remember correctly, I think I've come across that name, but I don't know anything about it really. I'd love to be able to pull that off, I just have no idea how hard it is or how skilled one has to be at doing that sort of thing :?: I'll have to check into this.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:05 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Watcher wrote:

Same here, I'm too interested in Urukdroid 1.6. Or actually, what I'm really after is to be able to install XBMC for Android on my A70. But to my knowledge this however requires Android 2.3, which isn't officially released for A70.

Does anybody know which Android version comes with Urukdroid 1.6 and if XBMC is installable on it? Or is it better to do it some other way?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:05 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

UrukDroid is still 2.2 as it is based on the stock Firmware.
But even if, XBMC for Android is not really usable atm.
I have a Amlogic DualCore Tablet where the SOC is really supported
and while things seem to work OK ( not great ) the UI on XBMC is rubbish.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:36 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Here is my story:
Several months ago My Archos 70IT 8GB became extremely slow. There were no problems with the applications performance but I had to wait up to several minutes until home screen will redraw after changing position or after application is closed. It was due to the fact that I transferred all possible applications to the SD card. Nevertheless, there were only 23MB left for the new programs.
I started to think about buying the new tablet, but decided to test Urukdroid before.
To install it was really not more difficult as to install a new program. The best thing was that I did not need to type anything in Terminal window or use Linux. All I needed was to download SDE firmware from Archos site, Urukdroid installation files from the page below and then to follow step by step instructions from here: http://code.google.com/p/urukdroid/wiki/Installation
I am not a professional programmer and I do not know much about Android or Linux but all went smoothly and in 10 minutes I had dual boot system.
After I boot to the Urukdroid environment, I checked free space and found out that now I have 1GB of free space to install new programs. I also found out that if I start Archos FW (holding volume up + power button), I can boot to the old system and back up all programs that I have installed previously (of course, I forgot to do this before!).
After this I reinstalled all programs under Urukdroid. Interesting, that programs used previous configuration, for instance, aWallet application have found password file that was there still, so, I did not need to configure old programs again.
Now, Archos is functioning much, much quicker as before and I have free 500MB for the new applications still. There are no issues with any programs and internet pages are opening much quicker too.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:09 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

i have a archos 70b IT Froyo (not honeycomb), does anyone knows if urukdroid would work on this tablet?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:30 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Sorry skw, I don't know the answer to your question.

So I did the Urukdroid installation after all. And I'm not disappointed. I also installed an older version of Zeam launcher (since the current version in Google Play didn't support this older Android version). Now my A70 is almost as snappy as my iPad 2. Everything flows much better and the screen seems more responsive.

In other posts I have read arguments why not to install Urukdroid. The biggest problem is probably that video playback doesn't support HW decoding and SW decoding drains the battery much faster. But that is not a problem for me. Even if i mainly use it for movies and TV shows, or streaming live TV from my Slingbox that doesn't concern me since I charge it every night. I also have a rechargeable USB battery pack if the battery would run out of juice.

In all I'm quite happy with the tablet right now.