Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:04 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: USB port dead
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:37 am 
Archos User
Archos User

I just bought a used Archos 70, and had an initial problem because it arrived with the battery completely discharged. It wouldn't accept a charge at first, but after reading posts here I tried warming up the unit first with a hot water bottle and it did the trick - I can now power up the device.
Now I have a new problem - the USB port appears to be dead. When I connect it nothing happens - nothing on the Archos and nothing on the PC. I've tried 2 different PCs, 2 different USB cables, and also rebooting the Archos. Still the USB is dead. Can anyone suggest anything to try?

Post subject: Re: USB port dead
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:43 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

I'm not sure if this gives any clues, but when I open the camera app is says "The camera app cannot be used during USB connection". The USB cable is not actually connected.
???

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:43 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

That does sound like a hardware problem - you can either live with it as it is, that shouldn't be too difficult as there is little need to use usb - dropbox or wifi file explorer can do the job, or you can try a full formatt and re-install the latest firmware in the hope that will sort the problem. Transferring large files to the device can be done by removing the sdcard and putting files onto it with a pc, then re-installing it onto the Archos. In the case of Firmware files, you would need to move them from sdcard to the root of the internal storage with a file browser such as estrong

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:06 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Can you connect your tablet to a PC with the cable that came with it and transfer file back and forth? If not then you should RMA it.

If so, then are you using the correct cable to convert from micro USB to female USB. This was the subject of a lot of posts when the 70IT was first released. Try searching the forums. I use a Nokia CA - 157 that I bought from Dealextreme. Even so very little works because the port only puts out 40ma. of power which is not enough for most devices.

Don.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:17 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

A little more information: if the USB is cable is already connected when the tablet is BOOTED it will be recognised, and gives me the option to Mount it as a drive. The Mount doesn't always work (sometimes it just hangs), but at least the cable connection is being recognised. If I try to connect the USB cable AFTER the tablet has booted it is never recognised.
I should confirm that I have the HDD model - there is no microSD card slot. The disk has also been upgraded to 1Tb, so I would expect some disk operations to be significantly slower than with the standard 250Gb disk.
I also often find that apps think that USB is connected, even when it isn't. This effectively prevents any app from writing to the HDD. I know that media library scans prevent access to the HDD while they're running, but I often get this symptom even after the scan has completed.
Has anyone else had these sorts of problems?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:12 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I am guessing that you bought this off eBay from the guy that talked about doing the mod on these forums? If so then you need to talk to the seller as you won't be able to RMA it with a moded disk drive - maybe he sold it because the micro USB port was broken?

What cables are you using to connect your USB devices? You cannot use the cable supplied by Archos to connect it to your PC. You need a special cable to convert from male micro-USB to female USB and then another regular USB cable to go to your device. Just because the various plugs and sockets fit together does not mean that your cables are correct. I use the Nokia CA-157 cable and I believe that Archos has a special cable too. If you do not have the correct cables and use very low power devices then USB will not work at all.

Frankly, even with the correct cables I have found the USB port almost useless because the amount of power that it supplies is minuscule. I can make stuff work if I am prepared to carry a Y-cable and powered USB hub around with me - which I am not.

I am also guessing that you want to be able to plug in your camera? If so then you might be lucky, however only fairly recent firmware versions will recognise a camera so you should check your firmware version. You might want to ask if anyone else has successfully used your camera with an A70.

Good luck,

Don.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:20 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

That's right I did buy it from him, but I think the hardware is OK (both USB and cable). I can successfully connect to the PC and transfer files, provided the cable is already connected before I boot. This proves that the cable is OK, and suggests to me that the inability to connect USB after booting is software-related.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:22 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

itm wrote:
That's right I did buy it from him, but I think the hardware is OK (both USB and cable). I can successfully connect to the PC and transfer files, provided the cable is already connected before I boot. This proves that the cable is OK, and suggests to me that the inability to connect USB after booting is software-related.

What cables are you trying to use?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:24 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Usually my Galaxy S2 data cable, although I have others. This one has allowed me to transfer files from the PC to the Archos so far, so is presumably OK?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:30 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

itm wrote:
Usually my Galaxy S2 data cable, although I have others. This one has allowed me to transfer files from the PC to the Archos so far, so is presumably OK?

No. If it works to transfer files to your PC then it is the wrong cable to use to connect a USB device to your A70.

You need something like a Nokia CA-157 cable. There was a lot of anguish about this in the early days, search the forums and maybe ask the modder what he used. This is your problem.

Don.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:38 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

By way of further explanation:

When you are connecting your A70 to a PC then the A70 is the slave device, when you are connecting a USB device to the A70 then the A70 is the master.

The connecting cable has to be wired accordingly (I think two pins are swapped).

Don.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:05 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

I think we may be talking at cross-purposes. I don't want to use the Archos as a USB host. I only want to connect it to the PC as a slave device, so that I can transfer files from the PC. Hence the cable that I have is fine. The problems are that (a) a USB connection cannot be established unless I reboot the Archos and leave the USB cable connected, and (b) apps are often prevented from accessing the HDD in the Archos because they think that USB is connected.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:08 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

By any chance, is your device stuck in USB debug mode?

Check

Menu
Settings
Applications
Development
USB debugging

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:33 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

deet wrote:
I am guessing that you bought this off eBay from the guy that talked about doing the mod on these forums? If so then you need to talk to the seller as you won't be able to RMA it with a moded disk drive - maybe he sold it because the micro USB port was broken?
Don.

Hello, no I did not sell it because it was broken. The unit was perfectly working with no issues whatsoever. One lesson ones should learn is to always describe the used selling item in its condition. Ebay or Paypal protection will bite you back anyway.

Ian talked to me and I offered him to return it back for a full refund. I've been on this board for a relatively long time and been Archos fan since year 2000 in the old times of jukebox 20.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:49 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

bhmm wrote:
deet wrote:
Don.

Hello, no I did not sell it because it was broken. The unit was perfectly working with no issues whatsoever. One lesson ones should learn is to always describe the used selling item in its condition. Ebay or Paypal protection will bite you back anyway.

Ian talked to me and I offered him to return it back for a full refund. I've been on this board for a relatively long time and been Archos fan since year 2000 in the old times of jukebox 20.

I can confirm this - the unit was not broken when it arrived. The battery had lost its charge in transit (understandable, as it was shipped from the USA to the UK) but I don't think there were any problems with the hardware, and bhmm offered me a full refund if I didn't want to keep it.
I have no complaints at all.