Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:07 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:24 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

As usual at this time of year, there are a raft of posts relating to devices refusing to power up etc....
It's imperitve that you do not allow the devices battery to become completely discharged, there is a setting in power management to allow the device to enter deep sleep instead of normal sleep, use this if you can, it will save considerable power.
Also, don't set the screen brightness to minimum and allow it to go to sleep , as a possible bug may cause it to wake with a black screen
Lastly, read through previous posts, there will probably already be an answer to you problem posted a few days earlier, it gets a bit old answering the same question over and over again

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:21 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

This is interesting. Do you mean that, when I am finished using the device, I should choose deep sleep instead of power off? I would have thought power off would have been the preferred option but I am a newbie!
Had the device since Christmas and I have still not let battery drain completely, AND I often listen to radio or watch video while it is still charging.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:21 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

No, I'm saying deep sleep rather than normal sleep. power off completely obviously saves more power than anything else

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:32 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

I've just bought a used Archos 70 which looks as if the power has completely discharged. I have tried many times to power it up (with the power connected). Most times it simply will not power up - the green light flashes once then goes out. On two occasions it booted briefly to the Android home page, but then immediately powered itself down. The battery indicator was showing completely red/empty.
Is there anything that I can do?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:42 am 

Wait a few hours and try letting it charge for a while?

I'm not sure why it wouldn't power on while plugged in even while drained, but you should let it charge for a bit if it's showing as drained.

If that doesn't work, could be a bad battery, or bad charger, or bad port...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:58 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Thanks for the advice - I'll give it a try. I saw another post which said that you should not, under any circumstances, allow the battery to fully discharge. Since this appears to be what has happened to my battery, I'm curious to know what the consequences of a totally discharged battery are - is it permanently damaging?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:27 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Is it possible that you have a broken powersupply?
If you plug the ac into to lower plug on the Archos, does the green light come up?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:26 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Give it some time. I have an archos 32 like that,green light didnt even come on when i plugged it in, to be honest i was going to return it, but left it plugged in while i went out. Came back a few hours later and the lught was on, been fine since

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:42 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

The power supply is fine - I checked it with a multimeter - but I get no green light when I plug it into the Archos. I've checked that I'm using the correct socket on the Archos.
Has anyone here had a totally discharged battery? If so, was there any lasting damage to the battery's capacity?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:22 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

There are plenty nof people who have had that, it should be avoided if possible - it's not the end of the world but it can be difficult to coax it back into life, make sure it's in a warm place whilst on charge.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:51 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

paulus3476 wrote:
make sure it's in a warm place whilst on charge.
This is my first post here. You are spot on and the 70IT doesn't like charging in the cold at all. I have one provided by my employer and it was suffering from very unreliable charging (particularly so during this recent snowy weather) so I returned it for a replacement. The only problem was that the replacement 70IT (with a replacement charger - both the same model as the returned unit) had exactly the same problems. I figured it's time for me to investigate whats going on so your post has proved very useful.

The problems I'm (still) getting are:
    Unreliable charging - even though the charging power supply is plugged in and the battery icon changes to a lightning bolt with animation, after a nights charging, in the morning the charge level may be very low...lower than when first put on charge - proving a real problem to use at work that day.

On occasions when it actually does charge, the green LED will sometimes flash to signify a full charge even though the battery isn't fully charged. Viewing the charge staus in Settings -> AboutDevice -> Status shows a lower number eg 86% but then on unplugging the charger from the Archos, this immediately jumps to 100%. On immediately rebooting the device though this comes back up at well below 100% eg 92%

I've read here on this forum that plugging in the supplied USB cable to a PC at the same time as using the mains charger helps and my limited (one time only) test seems to support this. A big problem is that many of my workmates with these devices don't have a PC to plug into though.

One other (perhaps unrelated?) issue I've found with both devices is that although they have the latest firmware installed (2.4.83 Android 2.2.1), the Boot Version listed at he bottom of the About Device list shows "Unknown/4.04.000001" surely things like this shouldn't be showing "unkown" on a device thats not had any customised firmware installed - or can certain commercial software apps cause this?

Anyone with a 70IT and the latest firmware installed do you have the same issues and listing under Boot Version, please let me know.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:46 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

It's been a while since I let either of our 70ITs completely discharge, but there was a period where it was happening often because I was still learning the different power saving settings.

Anyway, the following has always worked for me in recovering the devices...

Plug in the charger and wait half an hour to allow some charge to accumulate in the battery. Then, while still plugged in, hold the power button down for 10seconds.

I appreciate this might not work for everybody, but it does for me. Never had to plug into the computer at the same time, or rest it on a warm surface (although I would suggest this as it does seem to be an issue).

I always use Deep Sleep as it's fast to start up when I need it rather than waiting for it to completely boot up. Wish my Nexus7 had a similar Deep Sleep option as it eats its battery in a few days even when I'm not using it. That's one of the 3 things the 70IT scores over the Nexus7, the others being the MicroSD card slot and the HDMI out. Nexus7 is a far superior device overall though.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:59 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

DugyC wrote:
It's been a while since I let either of our 70ITs completely discharge
Thanks for your reply. I've never let either of the ones I've used reach that state (although have got very close) - when they got extremely low, I stopped what I was doing (at great inconvenience) and plugged in (hoping it would at least charge a bit - which it usually did).

Do you have any answers to the questions I posed please DugyC (or anyone else) such as the boot version listed as described in my post and what about my other observations, do they match your experience?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:33 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Flying Kiwi wrote:
Thanks for your reply. I've never let either of the ones I've used reach that state (although have got very close) - when they got extremely low, I stopped what I was doing (at great inconvenience) and plugged in (hoping it would at least charge a bit - which it usually did).

Do you have any answers to the questions I posed please DugyC (or anyone else) such as the boot version listed as described in my post and what about my other observations, do they match your experience?

Hi,

When mine discharged it was usually because I hadn't used them for a few days and left them on normal sleep rather than deep, therefore they discharged the battery. Bit of a pain. I love the Deep Sleep option though, it really is a brilliant balance between fast power on and saving battery. As I say wish my Nexus7 had it.

Anyway, with regards your other questions. I've never experienced the unreliable charging you've mentioned, they've always charged when plugged in no problem. The percentage though can be hit or miss... I think it starts flashing "fully charged" before it gets to 100%, so sometimes it shows high 90's instead. Also a reboot would use up some of the battery. Normally I charge overnight so it will sit on charge while at "full charge" flashing for quite a few hours before I wake up and unplug, and it almost always shows 100%. To be honest though it's not really an issue for me.

As I said earlier I've never had to plug into the PC to get it to charge, and as there is no charge through the USB can't see how that matters. I know with a phone which charges through USB you have the option for Data connection or charging only. As the Archos does not charge through USB this shouldn't matter, but maybe there is a wee bug there. It's never been a problem for me though so can't comment fully.

Regards the firmware/boot version, I was going to look at this last night but unfortunately my youngest and also my partner had both fallen ill so forgot about it. I'm unlikely to have a chance tonight either but will hopefully post back at some point over the weekend. Hope that's okay, I expect it will mirror what you've said though.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:12 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Flying Kiwi wrote:
One other (perhaps unrelated?) issue I've found with both devices is that although they have the latest firmware installed (2.4.83 Android 2.2.1), the Boot Version listed at he bottom of the About Device list shows "Unknown/4.04.000001" surely things like this shouldn't be showing "unkown" on a device thats not had any customised firmware installed - or can certain commercial software apps cause this?

Anyone with a 70IT and the latest firmware installed do you have the same issues and listing under Boot Version, please let me know.

I managed to find 5mins this morning to have a quick look at the Firmware and Boot version on both our Archos 70ITs. As expected the values mirrored yours...

Firmware Version = 2.4.83 (Android 2.2.1)
Boot Version = Unknown/4.04.000001

I guess the Archos team's attention to detail was not so hot in this area, not really a problem though.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:39 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

DugyC wrote:
As expected the values mirrored yours...

Firmware Version = 2.4.83 (Android 2.2.1)
Boot Version = Unknown/4.04.000001

I guess the Archos team's attention to detail was not so hot in this area, not really a problem though.
Thanks for confirming those values - indeed it's a sign of issues with the Archos firmware and thanks for getting back with your experiences and those values. It appears the recent cold weather we've had here in the UK has played a big part in the unreliable charging. The charging inaccuracy bug we both encounter seems to be a standard issue with this combination of hardware and firmware. This is a problem for me because it can be wrong by more than 10 % in my experience and sometimes thats the difference between fininshing a shift in one go and having to stop and charge part way through (although I always try to put the device on charge during my break).

If the Archos people can't even get their version labelling correct on the cosmetic details, what hope is there for the actual nuts and bolts of code within that make it all work - a shocking state of affairs :(

I wonder if the people responsible read these forums? As I'm not the owner of the device it's not for me to contact Archos Tech Support about these bugs.