Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:02 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:50 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hope this post doesn't tread on too many other posts! Got an Archos 70 250GB at Christmas and enjoying my first experience of Archos and Android. I've read a lot of topics on here which have been very helpful but I thought I'd post some questions which might help me as well as other newbies and maybe even build up a consensus of what the device needs to make it wondrous. Even one word answers will be appreciated! Anyway, here goes:

1. The music player. I like it but are there better apps for this?

2. Video player. Again, I find it good but can I do better?

3. Aldiko, Kindle or Kobo? (I love Aldiko.)

4. Best comic app for loading and viewing your own comic files?

5. Keeping charger plugged in while using device - is it good or bad for battery? (Opinion seems divided!)

6. Do I really need some sort of security app for virus patrol etc. and if so, which.

7 Is there any way of configuring email to send emails from my BTYahoo account - so far can only use GMail.

8. Best tricks for optimising battery life?

9. Now that I have Market Place, do I really need Appslib and could I delete it?

10. Give me one brilliant app that you can't live without?

That's it, thanking you in anticipation.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:32 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

tintin wrote:
Hope this post doesn't tread on too many other posts! Got an Archos 70 250GB at Christmas and enjoying my first experience of Archos and Android. I've read a lot of topics on here which have been very helpful but I thought I'd post some questions which might help me as well as other newbies and maybe even build up a consensus of what the device needs to make it wondrous. Even one word answers will be appreciated! Anyway, here goes:

1. The music player. I like it but are there better apps for this?

2. Video player. Again, I find it good but can I do better?

3. Aldiko, Kindle or Kobo? (I love Aldiko.)

4. Best comic app for loading and viewing your own comic files?

5. Keeping charger plugged in while using device - is it good or bad for battery? (Opinion seems divided!)

6. Do I really need some sort of security app for virus patrol etc. and if so, which.

7 Is there any way of configuring email to send emails from my BTYahoo account - so far can only use GMail.

8. Best tricks for optimising battery life?

9. Now that I have Market Place, do I really need Appslib and could I delete it?

10. Give me one brilliant app that you can't live without?

That's it, thanking you in anticipation.

1 - GoneMAD
2 - Stick with stock
3 - I use Aldiko AND Kindle, together they cover all my needs
4 - No idea
5 - Doesn't matter. I'm convinced that a healthy mix of usage is best for devices
6 - No
7 - Depends on your "pop3" settings, check Yahoo for "Pop" settings - I use K-9 email client
8 - Don't use the device - just charge it now and again
9 - Yes - Appslib offers apps more likely to be suited to Archos devices, e.g. Flash 10.3, while the Google Market offers Flash 11. 10.3 is best for the A70.
10 - Dolphin HD browser. As this is an "Internet tablet", choice of browser is hugely important - that's the main use of the thing. Dolphin HD is the nearest thing to Firefox, which I use exclusively on my PC's.

But - my A70's are rooted using the latest UrukDroid 1.6 http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... p=10239743 . Of course, you can't call this an app, but it greatly improves the performance and functionality of the A70.

HTH

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:10 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Apparently, these modern batteries have a set life cycle, basically down to how many complete charge/ discharge cycles it goes through - in theory, if you always keep it plugged in the battery will last forever. This is of course only theory and it's also impractical to keep it plugged in all the time

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:36 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

paulus3476 wrote:
Apparently, these modern batteries have a set life cycle, basically down to how many complete charge/ discharge cycles it goes through - in theory, if you always keep it plugged in the battery will last forever. This is of course only theory and it's also impractical to keep it plugged in all the time

My experience with high-amp lithium polymer batteries in radio control aircraft seems to show the opposite... LiPo batteries last longest for me when they are are charged and discharged frequently while avoiding overdischarge and temperature extremes. Keeping your a70 plugged in while you use the device is not going to promote longer battery life.

10. Elixer 2.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:29 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thanks to everyone who has replied so far, your response is much appreciated! This battery debate may never be resolved. I guess the main thing is that it keeps going for as long as you hope before the device becomes jurassic and you have to opt for the latest technology.
It's the 250gb storage I love though!
Keep 'em coming!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:38 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I've only had mine since Christmas as well, so I'm not expert, but I use Comixology you can buy DC and Marvel as well as many independant comics.
So I use that.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:34 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi newbie,

Congrats and hope you'll like your Archos as well as I do. Only 50% is ok, you're officially addicted then.

Go Launcher Ex or Launcher Pro
Aitype or SlideIt keyboard
Astro File Manager or ES File Manager or OI File Manager
(the last one has the option to exclude certain folders from media scanning, by placing .nomedia file in it.)

Backups on the sdcard (the external sdcard, not the Archos sdcard.. lol) and pc. My Archos crashed couple of times and had to go back to fabric settings. I've backed up Ebooks, music etc. and installed apks and some needed apks like Arctools. Now I can Crash and Go within 45 minutes :-)