Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:36 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:22 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I noticed something odd today when trying to customize my A70it. I purchased Beautiful Widgets and Launcher Pro and thought that one of these two was causing problems, but it turns out it's an issue with the Archos itself. I use CoPilot Live USA and have my Archos paired to a Holux M-1200 GPS receiver and wanted to use a widget to turn on/off the Bluetooth so that it can work with CoPilot. This is where there is a problem. It looks like any time the Archos is paried with this receiver, ANY widget will cause a Force Close when attempting to turn on Bluetooth.

Can someone else who has a Bluetooth device paired with their A70 try to download a 1x1 Bluetooth Widget from the Market and see if it will cause a Force Close error when using it? I think this is a bug in the firmware of the device. I'm running the latest firmware (I think it's 2.4.81) from Archos with the only change being the ArcTools apk so that I can run the market.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:15 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I don't really know what the problem is for you. I use Copilot too, with various BT GPS devices. I use the inbuilt Archos Power Control widget to switch on Bluetooth. Copilot then takes care of turning on the GPS.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:46 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

jamie41 wrote:
I don't really know what the problem is for you. I use Copilot too, with various BT GPS devices. I use the inbuilt Archos Power Control widget to switch on Bluetooth. Copilot then takes care of turning on the GPS.

Using the regular Power Control widget to turn on/off BT devices works fine. So does going to Settings->Wireless Networks and doing it there. It's only when using a third party BT toggle widget that the problem arises. If you want to use the methods provided on the Archos, it works. Try downloading Bluetooth OnOff by CurveFish widget from the market and see if you get a force close.

I'm trying to determine if it's an issue with the Holux receiver or with the firmware. If someone else has a different GPS receiver and doesn't have the issue I will try using something else as I really would like the widgets to work.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:15 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Thanks. But I'm not really interested in bug testing 3rd party apps. If Copilot / Holux works using the inbuilt Archos utlities, why bother with anything else?

If the Holux works with the Archos utility, there's nothing wrong with the Holux.

Doctor, doctor, my my arm hurts if I hit it with a hammer. "Well don't hit it with a hammer".

:(

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:32 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

jamie41 wrote:
Thanks. But I'm not really interested in bug testing 3rd party apps. If Copilot / Holux works using the inbuilt Archos utlities, why bother with anything else?

If using a fold up map works to get you to your destination, why bother using a GPS? If using a pen and paper works to get your work done, why bother using a computer? If the Archos comes with AppsLib, why bother installing Google Market?

Take a look at this thread where people are trying to customize the look of their devices. The power control widget provided by Archos is HUGE and includes additional "widgets" that I won't use/don't care about. I only need the widgets to control WiFi, Bluetooth, and screen brightness.

I'm trying to determine the root cause of the issue here. Is it a problem with the device, or with the widgets? I think determining the problem will help the entire community, and if you have no interest in contributing, that's fine. I prefer not to stick my head in the sand when something doesn't work as it should.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:47 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

1991Syclone wrote:
jamie41 wrote:

If using a fold up map works to get you to your destination, why bother using a GPS? If using a pen and paper works to get your work done, why bother using a computer? If the Archos comes with AppsLib, why bother installing Google Market?

Take a look at this thread where people are trying to customize the look of their devices. The power control widget provided by Archos is HUGE and includes additional "widgets" that I won't use/don't care about. I only need the widgets to control WiFi, Bluetooth, and screen brightness.

I'm trying to determine the root cause of the issue here. Is it a problem with the device, or with the widgets? I think determining the problem will help the entire community, and if you have no interest in contributing, that's fine. I prefer not to stick my head in the sand when something doesn't work as it should.

Sorry. It was a silly attempt at some festive humour - no offence meant :)

However:-

Remember your original post?

"but it turns out it's an issue with the Archos itself." and
"It looks like any time the Archos is paried with this receiver, ANY widget will cause a Force Close when attempting to turn on Bluetooth."

It's not "an issue with the Archos itself", and it's not true that "ANY widget will cause a force close". My Holux works perfectly in this situation, when using the Archos' own power widget. You asked for information and you got it.

I apologise again for the humour. I keep forgetting that humour is frowned upon in this forum. I thought you just wanted to get your device working, given your statements about the Archos not working properly.

I have 6 rooted Archoses, so no-one can accuse me of burying my head in the sand, as far as trying things out is concerned.

Maybe you should re-title the thread to something like "Help with customising the Archos User interface"?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:53 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

jamie41 wrote:
It's not "an issue with the Archos itself", and it's not true that "ANY widget will cause a force close". My Holux works perfectly in this situation, when using the Archos' own power widget. You asked for information and you got it.

Maybe you should re-title the thread to something like "Help with customising the Archos User interface"?

1) We have determined that the factory Power Control Widget provided by Archos will turn on/off bluetooth when it's paired with a device without issue. This should be expected.
2) I have determined on my device that using a third party widget to turn on/off bluetooth will work properly provided there are no pairings.
3) I have determined on my device that using a third party widget to turn on/off bluetooth will cause the a "Force Close" of the widget if it is paired with my Holux M-1200 GPS receiver.
4) Pairing the GPS receiver to my Samsung Intercept and using the same third party widget to turn on/off bluetooth works without issue. So in my opinion I have narrowed the cause down to the Archos and not the widget.

The last paragraph of my original post asks

Quote:
Can someone else who has a Bluetooth device paired with their A70 try to download a 1x1 Bluetooth Widget from the Market and see if it will cause a Force Close error when using it?

To be blunt and quite possibly offensive: I'm not interested in the fact that you can turn on bluetooth via the factory power control widget, or through CoPilot Live. I want to know if anybody can install a third party bluetooth control widget and get it to work without a Force Close error. Since you are not "interested in bug testing 3rd party apps", that limits your usefulness to this post. I'm looking for an answer to the question I asked, not alternatives to get bluetooth turned on, or how to title threads.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:48 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Fine. And I'm correcting your publicly posted incorrect statements about the Archos, in case others are misled by them.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:23 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

If you will tell me which BT widget you are trying to use then I will test it on my a70. (I am running Urukdroid).

Don.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:56 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

deet wrote:
If you will tell me which BT widget you are trying to use then I will test it on my a70. (I am running Urukdroid).

Don.

I have tried the widget packaged with Beautiful Widgets and the one provided by CurveFish (https://market.android.com/details?id=c ... hvbm9mZiJd).

I have also downloaded aLogCat and monitored the processes. The error being throw is "E/AndroidRuntime( 1613): java.lang.RuntimeException: Unable to start receiver com.levelup.beautifulwidgets.ToggleWidgets: java.lang.SecurityException: Permission denial: writing to secure settings requires android.permission.WRITE_SECURE_SETTINGS"

You can see the full log at http://support.levelupstudio.com/discus ... orce-close. From the looks of things, the Archos requires third party widgets to have specific permissions when attempting to turn on/off bluetooth when the device is paired to something. The Power Control widget provided by Archos obviously has this permission.

I don't know if you'll experience the same issue with Urukdroid or not. My guess is that you won't, but thanks for giving it a try.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:52 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Syclone:

I only have time for a quick test right now, but I can confirm that the Curvefish widget does FC under Urukdroid 1.5.

I will try to test a bit more tomorrow.

BTW. Urukdroid is mostly stock Archos firmware (with some tweaks, add-ons, root and a larger app partition) so it behaves like the underlying Archos firmware, especially at the driver level.

Don.