Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:48 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:59 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi all
I bought an archos 70 for my son for Xmas , I bought it about a month ago and tested it and it worked fine but on Xmas day it won't download any apps from appslib (says to check memory)even though there is nothing on it yet the system storage says over 200 mb left, don't understand, is this a quick fix or should I just take it back
Regards
Ben

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:15 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Same here 2 Archos 70's straightout of the boxes. Will not download any apps or even update any due to insufficient memory, tried reboots and the restore options.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:37 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

It's wierd though as it did work perfectly when first tried it got a small game and did firmware update then packed it back up and now won't work , so uninstalled the game still no good so did a reset and still no good?!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:57 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I had the same problem but I think the Appslib servers are down.
Its far easier to install Android Marketplace.
Use the Archos to visit the Arctools website and follow the download link.
Read and follow the instructions exactly and when you reboot you will have full access to the Market and its apps.

Happy Christmas

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:44 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Wahey!!! Spot on android market works perfectly . Thankyou very much and a merry Christmas!!! :-)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:36 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I have similar, have tried through Market & Appslib but once the Apps download they then tell me error, Insufficient Storage Available yet i have over 6gb on the tablet and 12gb on the card!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:33 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

It doesn't matter how much mem you have in Internal or the SD, the Apps get installed on the 300MB System partition.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:08 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

FZelle wrote:
It doesn't matter how much mem you have in Internal or the SD, the Apps get installed on the 300MB System partition.

You can have memmory on the SD card ?

new feature? ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:41 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Is there anyway to expand that or I it a case of having to remove some Apps?

Also, is this the same on all droid tablets or are any like the iPhone where you can use general storage space for Apps, music, film etc?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:18 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi
I think you have to move the apps to the internal storage this can be done in settings or get an app like apps2sd to move your apps, there are a lot of threads about this on this forum and it appears it's an android thing
Regards
Ben

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:38 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Dont think its an android limit, my 70b came set with 1.4gb app space

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:47 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

And of course you can root your A70 http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... p=10239743 and choose your own apps partition size.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:52 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

jamie41 wrote:
And of course you can root your A70 http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... p=10239743 and choose your own apps partition size.

Cheers, do i need to do a backup before installing this?

And now to show my Android naivety - whats the best way/ process to backup the tablet to the pc?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:29 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

<preach>As is normal practice with any computing device, you should be backing up your important data anyway </preach>.

If you want to do this you should read the Project Wiki, to find out what it does, and how to do it.

However, personally, the stuff I have on my Archos devices (photos, music, videos, etc) are all copies anyway - the masters are all kept on a laptop, and I back THAT up to a separate hard disk drive. So anything on my device is consumable. After doing anything important on the device, I just copy back everything en masse, and update any libraries as appropriate. By doing this, you're not strangled when it comes to doing anything of importance to the device.

In addition to this, with particular reference to the device, I use the app "Android Manager Free", free from Appslib, to backup all my apps to .apk files, which I then store on my PC, by simply copying them over via USB cable. That way, I can re-install them easily by copying the .apk files back onto the device, and installing them from there. This is all normal file management / good housekeeping, and keeps you in control of your device.

This latest version of UrukDroid is excellent in terms of performance, and functionality. Archos could adopt it "as is" for their next firmware release. It really brings out the best of the Gen 8 devices.

Just read and follow the instructions carefully. My recommendation is, when it comes to the bit where you are offered "Easy method" or "Advanced method", choose Advanced, then accept the default partition size options.

One thing to note. Google has finally got their act together with the Market. They now offer the option to rent movies (films for other UK readers, like me :) ).

Now that this is finally in operation, we can see the effect of the warning that Archos has been issuing for years. To root your device, you need to install the SDE, which Archos provide on their website. Going back as far as the A5IT, Archos has been warning people intending to install the SDE, that doing this will prevent DRM management. So, with a device rooted by installing the SDE, you will not be able to rent Movies. Google detects that "your device appears to be rooted", and will advise you to watch any rented movies on your PC, or apply to them for a refund.

It's taken about 3 years for the relevance of this Archos warning to become apparent. But, if you don't intend to rent Google movies to watch on your device, then it's no problem.

Enjoy.