Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:22 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Music Players and Files
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:10 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I recently purchased an Archos 70 and I love everything about it except for one thing. MUSIC. The sad thing is, that's why I bought the player...for the 250 gig hard drive, which no other company to my knowledge has, in an mp3 player or tablet. I started using the default or stock player, which I love the interface, but it wasn't receiving all of my albums. I went through everything I could think of to get these albums, which ironically are located in the music folder under files and in the storage section...BUT do not show up in the library. Then I tried Gone Mad because the guy who created it is on here alot and he seems to really listen to people's issues and suggestions. Again, the same albums were not showing up...PLUS...it's not very user friendly when it comes to creating playlists. SO, then I tried MixZing, and again, the same music files won't show up in the Library...and I've tried everything that everyone has suggested. I even went back through to rename/retag the music thinking that would help...but all to no avail. My last resort seems to be re-ripping those albums...which would be a lot to do, and I'm afraid it wouldn't change anything. I'm at a loss now and really disappointed in this tablet. The books work fine as does the internet and apps, but I bought it mainly for music and now hope and pray that I did not waste $250. Is there anyone out there that is an expert and can help me? I'm definitely not a novice, yet not an expert...but know enough that I could probably fix this with some help. Please don't suggest another player app UNLESS you know 100% that it accepts ALL albums. This seems to be an issue with the player and not all three music player apps that I've been using. The files transfer to the unit and show up under storage/music...but none show up in the libraries. Also, I had one group with 18 albums and it kept causing the media scanner to go non-stop and cause my machine to freeze. That's another issue I'm hoping to find a cure for...but my main concern right now is for the music player(s) to show all my albums I sync to it in the music libraries (artists, songs, albums, etc.).

PS: In case anyone is asking...all of my files that have been ripped from CDs are in mp3 format at 256kps. The others are downloads from iTunes. Other than that, I have no other type of music files.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:18 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

if my app, mixzing and the default player all dont pick up certain albums.. it is most likely an issue with your actual music.. all 3 apps scan in music completely different (mine i wrote the scanner myself, archos wrote one as well, and mixzing uses the default android scanner).. from what i've heard from others.. mine is the more forgiving.. perhaps post some of the files that dont show up and i can take a look at it?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:01 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

As per 'jimforjesus' concerns mine are EXACTLY the same. Bought the tablet for its 250GB storage to use as a music and movie portable access.
So many CD's not being listened to related to inconvience of non-digital concepts, not to mention young kids ;) . any advice on how to move music
from 'storage' and into the library 'albums' 'artist' sections would be appreciated. Some moved simply but others just not, after repeated tries.
Geoff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:58 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Well, although the OP says "Please don't suggest another player app UNLESS you know 100% that it accepts ALL albums," that strikes me as unrealistic. There are all sorts of possible problems that could have all sorts of possible causes. So feel free to ignore this if you need guarantees.

There are at least two areas where problems crop up. One is the actual music data--whether it can be played or not played. I suspect that problems in this area are rather rare if your files are in a standard format and play well on other devices.

What I see far more commonly is problems with the tags/metadata embedded in the music files. Android has a "scanner" that is supposed to sort through all the tags and create an index that can be used by any music player on the system, but in my experience this is totally unreliable. Certain common scanner problems have been diagnosed (e.g. the "#" symbol in a music tag tends to make the scanner explode) but there are undoubtedly more issues there. The problem is, the scanner doesn't notify you that it encountered a problem and shut down, leaving the impression that it scanned all of your tracks when it really didn't.

Some music players have their own scanner. PowerAMP/PowerMP recently introduced a separate scanner/library which works better than the system one, although it still has its issues. You could try that program to see if it has better luck with indexing your files. Note: I've heard that some users experience slight skipping problems on the A70H with PowerAMP, and can't help you if you experience that problem.

However there's another approach, which is to navigate your music using your music folder's directory structure, rather than an index. PowerAMP can do this too and does it quite well in my opinion, even allowing you to create playlists. Obviously you give up a lot of functionality by not having an index (e.g., no search, no quick switching to alternate views--by artist/by album/by genre etc.). But if it's between that and no music at all, I would say the directory-based approach is a nice option to have.

So, again, no guarantees, but PowerAMP has a free trial and you can see for yourself whether it works with your music. Just make sure you learn how to switch between the program's "Folder" and "Library" based navigation.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:27 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I've had the same problems/issues/concerns as jimforjesus but the GMMP player seems to recognize all my albums and songs (unlike the Archos player).

But the problem of drop-outs/stutters during song playback is driving me crazy!!!! I just returned from abroad and using the Archos on the flights was a nightmare! There were at least 3 to 10 stutters during each song. Eventually I gave up and watched the in-flight movies. As the stutters occur much more frequently when running on the battery, I tend to think this may be an issue.

But I am extremely disappointed with the Archos. I'm beginning to feel like I should have bought two 160 GB iPods instead.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:47 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

rphox2003 wrote:
I've had the same problems/issues/concerns as jimforjesus but the GMMP player seems to recognize all my albums and songs (unlike the Archos player).

But the problem of drop-outs/stutters during song playback is driving me crazy!!!! I just returned from abroad and using the Archos on the flights was a nightmare! There were at least 3 to 10 stutters during each song. Eventually I gave up and watched the in-flight movies. As the stutters occur much more frequently when running on the battery, I tend to think this may be an issue.

But I am extremely disappointed with the Archos. I'm beginning to feel like I should have bought two 160 GB iPods instead.

disable the equalizer if you are using that.. if there is still stuttering disable gapless playback and crossfade (Under preferences->audio)

I have issues with my 5IT with gapless/crossfade where it will randomly skip.. its a problem with the actual device and not the player. I assume it was just my player since no one else has every brought it up to me