Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:46 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:00 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hello. I formatted my Archos. I have downloaded the latest firmware and have tried to install it. When I try it does not start to install the firmware. I end up with a page that says : Recovery Update failed:(1). Am I screwed here? Any help appreciated.

Aaron

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:57 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

So I'm taking it that you are trying to install it from the Recovery Menu, right?
Most issues that I have seen with FW not installing properly have been solved by re-downloading the file.
Some people have had corrupted or incomplete files that would not install.
I would try that first.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:40 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Yes from the recovery menu. That is the only thing I could do. When the Archos reboots it just goes to the recovery menu there is nothing else. I have downloaded the FW many times to no avail.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:24 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

You don't list the steps you're taking, when in the Recovery Menu.

When, in the Recovery Menu, you select the option Update FW, you are taken to a white screen, with only on option "Press the on / off button to restart.

When you reach that screen, ignore that option, connect your Archos to your PC, open Windows Explorer, copy the FW to your Archos (copy it onto the Drive letter for the Archos, not into any folder). When the file is finished copying, "safely remove" the Archos form the PC by clicking on the tray icon in the PC. Close Windows Explorer. Then, finally, on the Archos press the on / off button. The Archos will prompt you to connect the DC-In cable (if you haven't already connected it). The Archos will (should) find the FW and install it. A blue progress bar will eventually crawl across the screen. Then the Archos will reboot.

At which point does the process fail?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:22 am 
Archos User
Archos User

I get the same, i think he's talking about the part when you load the aos file, and then you press the power button it says "Update Failed(1)". Thats what i get so maybe thats the problem with his.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:42 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

No luck. I tried your steps one by one but I still get the same error. It never seems to see the AOS file I put in there. Yes I am putting it the Archos file not in any individual folders.

Aaron

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:07 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

What is the full name of the update file & extension?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:01 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

mpar wrote:
What is the full name of the update file & extension?

Good point. Some browsers add .zip to the filename when downloading. Also, never be tempted to rename the file. If you have Windows Folders settings to "hide file extensions for known filetypes" you have to change this so that you can check the whole filename. If it ends in anything other than .aos, rename it, deleting everything beyond .aos.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:58 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

firmware_archos_android_gen8 (7).aos

Aaron

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:21 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Mpar and Jamie41 thank you. Your trying to figure out what the problem was and the file name and browser using it to download the FW made me think. I was downloading the file from Google Chrome. I used Internet Explorer and it worked and now I am using the Archos again. Thanks again for taking the time to help with my post.

Aaron

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:01 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

estreetah wrote:
Mpar and Jamie41 thank you. Your trying to figure out what the problem was and the file name and browser using it to download the FW made me think. I was downloading the file from Google Chrome. I used Internet Explorer and it worked and now I am using the Archos again. Thanks again for taking the time to help with my post.

Aaron
Glad you've sorted it now. However, note what I said about the filename, and what you posted in reply
estreetah wrote:
firmware_archos_android_gen8 (7).aos

There should be no (7) in the name. I guess that this was caused by downloading the file 7 times to the same folder, without deleting the others?

Can I suggest you empty the contents of your Google Chrome "Downloads" folder? File elsewhere anything you need to keep.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:41 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Ahh, I've been using Google Chrome also for this.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:38 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I don't think it's Google Chrome's fault. If I were to download the same file 7 times into the same folder using Firefox, I'm sure it will change the name each time, in the same way Chrome does, to avoid overwriting previous downloads.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:12 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hey guys,
I was having the same problem as described with the Update Failed (1) showing up. I was downloading the .aos file in Firefox and it wasn't working when I tried to update. After reading this thread, I went and downloaded the .aos file in IE and I was able to update my firmware and all is working fine now. Glad I stumbled across this thread as i was beginning to tear my hair out!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:15 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I also had the same problem!!: After applying sde versions and trying numerous times to re-download firmware, I finally got my aos back!!! Seems I downloaded the newest version using Chrome and it wasn't copying right, so I followed another forum's advice and used Internet Explorer...it worked!!! Now after a week, I now have a "Like New) Archos 101it. What a learning experience!!!

P.S. I don't really know if it was Chrome or IE, seems I kept downloading different versions of the aos files with the same name...thus it was renaming them

firmware_archos_android_gen8. (2)aos
firmware_archos_android_gen8. (3)aos

well, before I copied the file over to the 101it drive, I took out the (2) or (3), then it worked!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:01 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

jamie41 =D> =D> Your are the guru thank you for your knowledge and insight.