Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:29 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:01 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Just got the 70 250gb for my birthday & was loving it until today... I've been trying to turn it on for the past hour with no luck.. What a bummer :x
This is going back for sure .

what about trying to turn it on for the past hour (now 2 hours ) don't you people understand ? yes i searched & tried everything i can find ... it was working fine last night before i went to bed when i plugged it to charge over night .. the green light does blink when i push the power on but that it , i tried hold down the power button for 10 secs & nothing other then the light staying on .. any other suggestions kids ?
trust me ,i know how to look for solutions to a problem & have tried it them all ..just really sucks because the 70 was perfect for what i use it for & for my daughter to watch movies & play games on long trips but now im going to have to return it since Ive only had it 2 days & now it doesn't work .

Last edited by scabsk8s on Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:03 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

OK

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:07 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Electronic devices require the battery to be charged.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:08 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

What an incredibly unhelpful post. Sorry to hear that, but you give no details as to what happened, what it is doing, etc. Good chance you can fix the problem if you are interested. There has been a well documented screen timeout problem that can be overcome if you hold down the power button for 10+ seconds, let go, and press/release again. That may work, or you could try to reset, or call tech support. But if all you wanted to do was rant then go right ahead, then return it. I personally am exceptionally pleased with my 250gb model.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:11 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

scabsk8s wrote:
Just got the 70 250gb for my birthday & was loving it until today... I've been trying to turn it on for the past hour with no luck.. What a bummer :x

Did you try searching and find that if you hold down power and volume down for 10 seconds that it would come back on? I did when my A70 was left on and the battery completely drained and it wouldn't turn back on. That's what I found and it worked really well. Of course I did search first and didn't make my first post a whining rant. Course that's just me. Good luck.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:44 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

edited my post ,hope that helps everyone .. let me know what you think fellas

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:54 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Is the HD spinning up?

Some folks have reported connecting to a power source and having to hold the Power button for up to 20 seconds.

Allen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:59 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

When plugged in to AC power, does it turn on?
Blinking green means it is full.
Solid green means it is charging.

Nothing worked so far? From the user manual:
20.3. System recovery
- If your ARCHOS does not respond correctly or does not start properly, you can try to remedy this situation with a system recovery. Be very careful with this as there are options to erase all the data on your device.

20.3.1. To enter into the Recovery screen
- Turn off the device and wait 10 seconds.
- Press and hold the volume + button while powering on the device.
- Keep the volume + pressed until the Recovery mode starts (white screen).
- To move from one option to another, use the volume buttons. To select an option, press the ON/OFF button.

20.3.2. Recovery mode options
- No: Cancels the system recovery.
- Update firmware: Allows you to connect your device to a computer in order to copy the latest .AOS file (operating system) to your device and then install it.
- Repair System: Attempts to repair the file structure on the internal memory. This does not erase any data.
--- No: Return to main recovery screen.
--- Force Touchscreen Calibration: Select this, set your device down, start the calibration, and don't touch it. It will re-calibrate the screen. After the calibration is complete, select No to leave the recovery screen.
--- Check Disk: Check and repair the system partition if damaged.
--- Start USB MSC: Allows you to connect your device to a PC to access the internal memory.
--- Format System: Formats the internal memory. All data (music, photos, videos, etc.), applications and settings are erased.

Hope that helps. All that is left it to contact Archos for a replacement.

Last edited by 4DThinker on Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:01 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

... or return it.

Allen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:09 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

i have tried everything & still nothing ...
i should have just listened to the reviews & stayed away ... good luck with all your 70s & thanks for all the suggestions

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:44 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

scabsk8s wrote:
what about trying to turn it on for the past hour (now 2 hours ) don't you people understand ?

The part where you explain what you have tried and give us more information.
I hate when people say something does not work and don't explain what exactly does not work. Your initial pre edited post made no reference to the fact that the green light blinked when you tried to turn it on.
You should be thankful for those who have tried to offer suggestions, when all you did originally was whine and moan that you can't turn it on instead of at least asking for suggestions.
Just out of curiosity, when you say it's going back, do you mean RMA it and get it replaced or return it for good and not get a replacement?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:59 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Sorry the OP is not around for at least a day. I banned him after he re-inserted a swear word in his OP Subject when I had already changed the Subject and PMed him about not swearing.

Allen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:26 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Any chance it was plugged into a MAC? If yes, then I'll guarantee you that caused the problems.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:24 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

scabsk8s wrote:

what about trying to turn it on for the past hour (now 2 hours ) don't you people understand ? yes i searched & tried everything i can find ... it was working fine last night before i went to bed when i plugged it to charge over night .. the green light does blink when i push the power on but that it , i tried hold down the power button for 10 secs & nothing other then the light staying on .. any other suggestions kids ?
trust me ,i know how to look for solutions to a problem & have tried it them all ..just really sucks because the 70 was perfect for what i use it for & for my daughter to watch movies & play games on long trips but now im going to have to return it since Ive only had it 2 days & now it doesn't work .

Oh no! I have exactly the same problem today. Will try the suggestions.
What did you do in the end scabsk8s?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:58 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

gte105u wrote:
What an incredibly unhelpful post. Sorry to hear that, but you give no details as to what happened, what it is doing, etc. Good chance you can fix the problem if you are interested. There has been a well documented screen timeout problem that can be overcome if you hold down the power button for 10+ seconds, let go, and press/release again. That may work, or you could try to reset, or call tech support. But if all you wanted to do was rant then go right ahead, then return it. I personally am exceptionally pleased with my 250gb model.

Thank you. You fixed mine even if it didn't work for the OP.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:02 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

gte105u wrote:

THANK YOU! I kept thinking it was THREE seconds and it wasn't working. 10 worked fine. THANKS SO MUCH. One day I hope to be able to use what I have learned to help someone.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:15 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I have a similar problem, but I'm not even getting a green light with the Archos plugged in. I tried the ten second fix, but so far no dice. It was working fine when I shut down last night, any further suggestions.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:31 am 
Archos User
Archos User

I just had this happen to me on my 8GB Archos 70, holding down Power and Vol Down for 10 seconds even didn't do anything, nor did leaving it plugged in all day. Eventually after leaving it around another few hours and searching for the issue online I plugged it in again and it just turned on. Huh, I guess it needed time to "rest" or something?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:15 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Just for the record, forget the "10 seconds". For 10 seconds read "as long as it takes for the green light to go off". On my Archos(es) this can take a lot longer than 10 seconds at times.

Eventually, on a hard disk device, you will hear a clunk as the drive suddenly stops. On a flash drive device you won't hear anything - just watch the light.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:58 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I Had this issue today with my A70 8Gb. It was under 10% battery yesterday around 2Am. I put it to charge (without turning off). It went to sleep mode. Today around 5:30 the green light was blinking, I unpluged it from the charger, and went to work.
When I tried to wake it, nothing happens, blank screen, no green light, no nothing, but it felt a bit warm are near the charger plug.
I connected the charger, and still nothing (no green light either). Completely dead.

I unplugged it, held the ON/OFF/Reset button about 20 seconds. And then it turned on again. And it came back.

Is it possible that some ill programmed app is bricking the device? So we have to make a reset for it to turn back on?
I didn┬┤t install anything new yesterday (for it is the first time it happen to me), But Since a reset works on Unbricking the device, I suspect of a Software related issue.