Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:49 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Re: M3U Playlist files
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:19 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Hi all.

Has anyone come up with simple resolution to this problem over the last few months. All my music is Media Monkey, so the iTunes solution is not for me. Or, is it the case that the approach noted by samsaidi & nwbasson the only one available?

Appreciate your input.

Regards,

Allan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:29 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

After much trawling through the forum, it would appear that there is now simple resolution. Playlists are pretty much a basic, fundamental requirement of the music experience on a portable device. I have had 2 x 5ITs, a A1o1 and now a A70, and m3u playlists will not transfer from Media Monkey properly to any of these devices. Admittedly there was a work around for the 5ITs (changing the file extension) but the manual intervention required for Gen 8 is a joke. My ipod can get it right, every phone I've had in the last 5 years can get it right. Why can't Archos (or google, as the case may be)?

And while I'm at it the same goes for cover art. I am fastidious about keeping a copy of my cover art in my music folders AND attaching to the track tags. Yet, every sync, 50% of albums are missing cover art, even after resetting the media database. I look at my phone and the covers are all there. I look at my ipod, and guess what, they're there also. And Cover Downloader is not a solution - it only seems to find a small proportion of the missing covers. So, great, I'll spend the weekend manually downloading covers. This is fundamental stuff! Sheesh!

Will this be finally sorted out in Gen 9!!

Rant over.

Allan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:36 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I hear you, the playlist sync thing is absurd. I have not had an issue with coverart downloader though. I find it grabs almost all my coveres. The few that are missing I then plug in manually. If you are having that much problem there may be an issue with the tags.

On my Thunderbolt I use the music player Mixzing. It has an option to search the folder for the album covers in the music folder. it will also let you edit tags easily, and download covers. I like the app a lot. It is free with adds, $5 without, and has some great widgets including a lockscreen option. May want to check it out.

If you have an iPod, it sounds like you have iTunes set up. Why not check out Tunesync? To get the full version will cost a little, but I am more than happy with the results. It gets all my music, album covers, and playlists on both my phone and tablet. It may take some work to get things set up away from Media Monkey, but it is well worth it afterwards.

I will add this, my Thunderbolt does not have nearly the issues as my Archos when it comes to media. I do not get bogged down with constant media scans, it does not lose album art, and it does not randomly delete my music at times. All these are issues with my Archos. They both run on Froyo, so the version of Android is not the reason. Archos does need to step it up. I just got the Thunderbolt a couple weeks ago, but the more I use it the more I realize how many issues my Archos has... especially the limited RAM.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:55 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Hi gte105u.

No itunes I'm afraid - while I do have an old ipod I'm not a fan of way the itunes takes every opportunity to sell you something, and, its so bloated. I am manually compiling the playlists now with a bit of creative synching to assist. That is I delete the music files on the Archos, transfer the largest of my playlists, manually create that playlist on the Archos and then add the remaining music and create them in playlists manually by album. Suits my needs but is a little time consuming.

Cover Downloader is driving me crazy though. I must be doing something wrong. I download covers for the albums it can find, I then manually download the covers for the 60 odd albums it can't find - all good for a time but then the very next time the media library updates they are all deleted and I have to start again. There must be some setting somewhere which I have failed to tweak. Aaaaagghh!!

Allan

update: hmmm, after the third attempt, the covers downloaded seem to be sticking. Fingers crossed.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:14 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Feel free to try out my music app. It can read m3u playlists copied directly from your pc to your device. Even if the paths in the m3u file don't match the paths on your device it can still usually find the right songs.

I actually started building this app because of problems I had reading playlists on my A70 250GB (see my earlier posts), but over time it evolved into a complete music app.

http://market.android.com/details?id=co ... ar.mytunes

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:45 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I'm trying DoubleTwist at the moment. You need to download the app and some software for your computer. After trying a lot of the possibilities mentioned above, this seems to be one of the easiest (and definitely working!) solutions.
The player you need to install on your computer is a somewhat basic version of iTunes, but it has the possibility to import your play lists from iTunes which you can put on your Archos afterwards. The free version allows syncing by USB and if you get the paid version, it allows to sync wireless. After syncing just open the app and enjoy your playlist!

Maybe this is a step in the right direction...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:37 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi,
I am also having a problem getting my M3U playlists made in Media Monkey to play on my Archos 70. Some of them show up, (but not all), but the ones that do show up do not play (appear empty) using the stock player as well as Winamp.

Can someone please walk me through (and I mean really dumb it down) how to exactly change these M3U files to play on my archos 70, I also saw these instructions by Orwells1984IsHereNow in this forum: viewtopic.php?t=4948
but I really don't understand how to do this, how to even find these files and what exactly I type to change the files.

I don't have an SD card so I can't just put the playlists on there, I need to get into the storage files or the root files. Please help, I have spent hours and hours on this!

Thanks so much!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:42 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I've tried everything I've seen here as well, but with no luck. Does anyone have an example of an m3u playlist that is working in their Archos?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:56 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Yes, I can play .m3u playlists both local and remote, including extended m3u playlists. I don't know about MediaMonkey or other Windows applications or playlist generators as I use Debian GNU/Linux and usually generate the playlists with a command or with my own bash script which can be found at http://takla.wordpress.com/2012/05/22/automatically-create-extm3u-extended-m3u-playlist-in-gnulinux/

Here's an example of a simple .m3u playlist, followed by an extended .m3u playlist. These would be stored in the same directory as the tracks they reference:

simple:
Code:
01 - Out On The Weekend.ogg
02 - Harvest.ogg
03 - A Man Needs A Maid.ogg
04 - Heart Of Gold.ogg
05 - Are You Ready For The Country.ogg
06 - Old Man.ogg
07 - There's A World.ogg
08 - Alabama.ogg
09 - The Needle And The Damage Done.ogg
10 - Words (Between The Lines Of Age).ogg

extended:
Code:
#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:274,Neil Young - Out On The Weekend
01 - Out On The Weekend.ogg
#EXTINF:191,Neil Young - Harvest
02 - Harvest.ogg
#EXTINF:245,Neil Young - A Man Needs A Maid
03 - A Man Needs A Maid.ogg
#EXTINF:187,Neil Young - Heart Of Gold
04 - Heart Of Gold.ogg
#EXTINF:203,Neil Young - Are You Ready For The Country
05 - Are You Ready For The Country.ogg
#EXTINF:204,Neil Young - Old Man
06 - Old Man.ogg
#EXTINF:179,Neil Young - There's A World
07 - There's A World.ogg
#EXTINF:242,Neil Young - Alabama
08 - Alabama.ogg
#EXTINF:123,Neil Young - The Needle And The Damage Done
09 - The Needle And The Damage Done.ogg
#EXTINF:400,Neil Young - Words (Between The Lines Of Age)
10 - Words (Between The Lines Of Age).ogg

The following is an example of a randomized playlist which is stored in /mnt/storage/playlists and which references files in the internal storage Music folder /mnt/storage/Music and in my SD card's Music folder /mnt/storage/sdcard/Music.

Code:
/mnt/storage/sdcard/Music/Rock & Pop/The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Live At Winterland/07 - Tax Free.ogg
/mnt/storage/sdcard/Music/Rock & Pop/The Beatles - Abbey Road (2009 Stereo Remaster)/15 - Carry That Weight.ogg
/mnt/storage/Music/World - African/Djelimady Tounkara - Allo Bamako/04 - Yobalema (Abdoulaye Ba dit Batch).ogg
/mnt/storage/Music/Stage & Screen/Sir William Walton's film music Vol. 2 - Academy of St. Martin in the Fields, Sir
 Neville Marriner/11 - Suite- 'Escape Me Never' I Prelude and Venetian Idyll.ogg
/mnt/storage/Music/Early/Music of the Spanish Renaissance - Shirley Rumsey/20 - on que la lavare.ogg
/mnt/storage/sdcard/Music/Rock & Pop/The Clash - Sandinista!/CD02 - 18 - Shepherds Delight .ogg
/mnt/storage/sdcard/Music/Rock & Pop/Shuggie Otis - Inspiration Information/10 - Strawberry Letter 23.ogg
/mnt/storage/sdcard/Music/Rock & Pop/The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (2009 Stereo Remaster)/12
- Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise).ogg
/mnt/storage/Music/Baroque & Classical/Montserrat Figueras - Ninna Nanna/15 - Milhaud, Darius (1892-1974) - Berceus
e Hébraïque- Dors, dors.ogg
/mnt/storage/sdcard/Music/Rock & Pop/Café del Mar - Vol. 6/01 - Talvin Singh - Traveller (Kid Loc o's Once Upon A T
ime In The East Mix).ogg
/mnt/storage/Music/Early/Paul Berget - The Siena Lute Manuscript on renaissance guitar/01 - Recercar 1.ogg
/mnt/storage/sdcard/Music/Rock & Pop/Jimi Hendrix - The Cry Of Love/03 - Ezy Ryder.ogg
/mnt/storage/Music/Early/Hilliard Ensemble - English Madrigals/01 - Morley - O Greefe even on the Bud.mp3
/mnt/storage/Music/World - African/African Rhythm Messengers - Bottom Belle/10 - Baby Wayo.ogg
/mnt/storage/sdcard/Music/Rock & Pop/Jimi Hendrix - Valleys Of Neptune/04 - Hear My Train A Comin'.ogg
/mnt/storage/sdcard/Music/Rock & Pop/Jimi Hendrix - Woodstock/12 - Farewell.ogg

I use neither the standard Android/Archos File Manager app nor the default Music app. Instead I use Ghost Commander as my file manager and DeadBeef or Rockbox for audio playback. Both are free and available from Play and from other repos and from their respective developers.

When I browse to a .m3u file in Ghost Commander and click on it I am offered a choice of apps to run the file including Music and DeadBeef. I choose DeadBeef and it plays and also displays tag info and album art. It will play just about any audio format and does proper gapless playback and supports custom EQ as well. This all works equally well whether the playlist is a "one playlist per album" list in the album directory or is in my playlists directory and lists files in lots of different places.

There are some things you have to do:

Create a file .nomedia in your playlists folder (and in Music if you don't want the default Music app to screw up all your playlists).

Make sure the playlist contents reference the full path for each file if it isn't in the same folder as the tracks.

I've tried the default file manager and also OI File Manager and Open Explorer File Manager and others but it seems only Ghost Commander passes the playlist to DeadBeef properly and I'm not aware of any other combo of file manager+player which works as expected with .m3u.

Another way to play .m3u is to use Rockbox and use Rockbox's file browsing instead of the system's file manager (Rockbox can't be launched from another app or file manager, it's kind of a stand alone app). Rockbox plays back any valid m3u file and pretty much any non-DRM audio file you'll ever encounter. If you find playlists important then Rockbox is for you.

http://www.rockbox.org/
http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/AndroidPort

The above is all regarding my A43IT but it should be valid for any Generation 8 Archos device.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:19 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thanks for the help. I will try making some mods to the playlist files that I have.

On a related note. I downloaded an app called "Just Playlists" that seems to be able to read in playlists that I created in winamp on my computer and copied to my Archos. So far that works well (it plays my m3u playlists), but it doesnt have the same capabilities as a normal music player.