Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:15 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:42 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Howdy,

I hope this question is not being overly asked. Is there a difference on the Archos between system and internal memory? If system memory fills does it matter?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:53 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

System memory is the approx 300MB that Archos has allocated for app storage. Currently there is no way to change this limit. When it's gone, no more app storage or OS data space.

Internal memory is the 8GB that was designed for media storage, not the micro SD slot.

The only way to stretch the System Memory space is to move some of the app to Internal Memory. This only works on Froyo (2.0.54 firmware or newer) and only works if the app is written to support this.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:03 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I will say though, theres really not that much to fill the app space. I agree, it should be bigger on principle, but there just really aren't that many great apps.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:08 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

oic0 wrote:
but there just really aren't that many great apps.

I think that is a matter of opinion. I got a message saying that my system memory was getting low and I had some great apps for me (maybe not great apps for you though). I moved what I could to Internal storage and cleared up most of my system space.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:30 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

This has been really helpful! Some of my apps are on internal storage, which is great! Some cannot be moved, which is just fine. However, at least I know more about the differences and how to approach this. I have plenty of memory but wasn't sure what to expect in the future.

When it comes to app's I am very picky and I have a gaming PC at home for gaming, so my Archos is only for work, browsing, and messaging. Well, and it's a phone now too haha.

Thanks for all the help!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:32 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

oic0 wrote:
I will say though, theres really not that much to fill the app space. I agree, it should be bigger on principle, but there just really aren't that many great apps.

I agree.

I have a 32GB jailbroken iPod Touch and I have hundreds of apps (and many, MANY good ones). From various game categories to productivity to music to travel, all were paid or free. Thanks to some "app finding" apps I got them all at the right time, nothing pirated. I'm very surprised at the overall quality of the Android offerings. It's quite disappointing.

Maybe I'm remembering it incorrectly but didn't Charbax say in one of his earlier videos (maybe a beta of Froyo?) that the app limit was eliminated in the soon-to-be 2.2 upgrade?