Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:27 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 3:10 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

butterflygirl wrote:
I have lost media (.avi) off my sd card with newest firmware.

I haven't YET but thanks for the warning. I'll make sure to keep everything on my SD card backed up. If I lose any files I'll just put the .nomedia file back. That was working.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:13 am 
Archos User
Archos User

I also have the newest firmware (2.0.71) and am losing .avi files, just as butterflygirl reported.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:04 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Good to see I am not the only one with this. Thought I was crazy. I have lost files (15 or so avis) under the newest firmware three times.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:53 am 
Archos User
Archos User

I am losing files with the A70 and the latest firmware. It does not seem to be specific to the file type. Any time I add new files via USB to the micro SD card other files are lost.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:28 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

It just happened to me again. When Archos support suggested that their latest firmware corrected the issue, I backed up everything on the SD card and removed the .nomedia folder.

Everything was okay for a couple of weeks. I just uploaded 3 .avi files to the SD card and 144mb of photos and video were deleted.

It's really pretty pointless to have an SD card slot if you can't save files there.

The last thing the email from support says is "In the event this does not correct the issue, please reboot into the Recovery menu
and instead of selecting "Repair System" select "Format System" and select "Reset
Android".

Isn't that going to erase EVERYTHING? I really don't want to reinstall all of my apps.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:22 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Ya stupid reply from tech support.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:34 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Well it happened to me for the fiirst time yesterday. I lost about 15GB of video from my 16GB card. Come on Archos how hard could it be to fix this bug?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:38 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

It was happening to me again recently although I am having a .nomedia in the root as well as all other folders/ subfolders in my sd. So I am now praying to hope my files are still there every time I copy something into the sd. This is just too annoying!!! :(

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:49 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I've had this happen with my A101 and this bug is the main reason I haven't upgraded from Eclair on my A70.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:33 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Try going to settings/storage..and unnmount the sd card before mounting tablet to computer. You will still be able to see and use the directory for the sd card( F:). After unmounting the tablet, mount the sd card again. This has prevented any file loss for me.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:24 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Note: This does NOT seem to be the same bug on the system level that is completely deleting JPG and AVI files, which is the main part of this discussion.

Version: Firmware 2.0.71

I decided to load up my Archos A70IT with a large number of JPG photos to test the two viewing programs. I have not completed the testing, but I have found a problem so severe that I decided to report this much.

I put over 2,000 semi-random images (average size a bit under 105 KB) in a dozen folders on a Transcend 8GB microSDHC Class 6 card and tried to use the "Gallery" program to view the images. It took a very long time (maybe 3 - 5 min.?) to mount the microSDHC card because system level thumbnails were made during the mounting process. When "Gallery" is started, it starts indexing the images for each folder and seems to create its own set of thumbnails.

After a long time I decided to try accessing a picture. I clicked on a folder and a set of thumbnails is displayed. I clicked on a thumbnail, and the image sometimes displayed and sometimes it just showed an enlargement of the thumbnail. Indexing never really completed for the 2000 images. I think it was still working on it after an hour or more.

When I exited back from viewing an image to the thumbnail view for the folder, sometimes the program crashed back to the desktop. After a lot of tries, I noticed that thumbnails were not showing up for some of the images. Later, when I checked the folders through a file browser, I found the problem. Some of the images had been overwritten with "null" files. That is to say the file length was "0" and no image data was available to be displayed. There was no pattern I could see to determine which images got truncated, except it only happened in folders that I had been trying to look at actual individual pictures.

I am not certain if whole files were also being deleted, but the truncating of files is a bad enough situation.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:24 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Clarification:

I have re-read all the messages in this topic carefully and one thing that is not clear: Was this bug found in Android 2.1 or was it only in Android 2.2.1? No one has said clearly what the situation was before the 2.2.1 upgrades came out.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:15 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I am having this problem with 2.2.1. I got it update right away when i got the device so I am hot sure if 2.1 have this problem too.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:52 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

butterflygirl wrote:
I've had this happen with my A101 and this bug is the main reason I haven't upgraded from Eclair on my A70.

Ok, this was the clearest that anyone stated that Android 2.1 did not have this problem. So I decided to try downgrading back to AOS "1.0.84" which is the last Android 2.1 (Eclair).

Unfortunately, it does not seem to be possible. When I ran the installer, the installation stopped with the following message:

"This firmware update is too old for your hardware version. (221)".

Does anyone know if there is a way to force the installation? I do not mind a complete Reset (including complete reformatting of all media). Nothing of consequence will be lost.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:30 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

m_writer wrote:
butterflygirl wrote:

Ok, this was the clearest that anyone stated that Android 2.1 did not have this problem. So I decided to try downgrading back to AOS "1.0.84" which is the last Android 2.1 (Eclair).

Unfortunately, it does not seem to be possible. When I ran the installer, the installation stopped with the following message:

"This firmware update is too old for your hardware version. (221)".

Does anyone know if there is a way to force the installation? I do not mind a complete Reset (including complete reformatting of all media). Nothing of consequence will be lost.

You can't go back to Eclair after updating to Froyo.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:32 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

m_writer wrote:
Clarification:

I have re-read all the messages in this topic carefully and one thing that is not clear: Was this bug found in Android 2.1 or was it only in Android 2.2.1? No one has said clearly what the situation was before the 2.2.1 upgrades came out.

I have not had this issue with Eclair.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:53 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

butterflygirl wrote:

. . .

I have not had this issue with Eclair.

Much thanks for the last couple of messages. :-) Unfortunately, since I cannot do the downgrade, I am temporarily retiring the A70S and going back to the A7HT. Considering the seriousness of the problems, and the fact that it looks like the programmers know where to look (it is in whatever ".nomedia" is by-passing), I think we can expect another firmware upgrade before the end of January. So I think I can wait for it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:20 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Exactly the same problem with jpg files here. Another similar issue also, some games uninstalled by themselves and i have to install them again and again. I'm waiting for a solution via Archos

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:29 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Dear athankar71,

Games uninstalled by itself?? Do you means you can't see some of the games' icon out of sudden?? I have similar problem if I try access the Apps menu too quick during the start-up, before the media scan, prepare internal memory, prepare sd card, update thumbnail.....etc.

I think if you move you games to internal memory (instead of internal storage) everything will be ok.

But I still do have quite some apps installed on internal storage, so I will have to wait a little longer during the start-up. I believe this have been discuss some where in this forum, I hope there will be a firmware release that solve these annoying problems.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:51 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Unfortunately, some application uninstalled after 4-5 days from internal memory! I have created a folder with many aplication shortcuts in homescreen and after few days some of this shortcuts are without the correct icon and a message says this application is not installed.
I have to install it from the market in order to work again.
About missing files from sd, i have already disconect it and i believe maybe it's defective card, i will test it in my pc further to find out.

Last edited by athankar71 on Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next