Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:34 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:26 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Ok,

Is anyone else having problems with their wireless connection since they updated? I did the update OTA. The update was pretty smooth. Now, about every 30 seconds to 1 minute my wireless just stops working...no loss of signal...no noticeable change in the tablet...my internet just stops working...I've tried booting into recovery and formatting...nothing...any ideas on whats going on? I've reset my router...everything else wirelessly works fine...but 70it worked great on 2.1 now on 2.2 its worthless with the connection dropping like this.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:32 am 
Archos User
Archos User

I have the same problem. My router has the option to connect as a guest ... so far that is working okay.

Edit: Since the guest connection works on my router but the regular connection doesn't, I'm assuming the problem has to do with the authentication?

Last edited by michael.archos on Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:43 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Same problem when web browsing, seems to cut out very often.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:59 am 
Archos User
Archos User

I had no Wifi since purchasing this A70. It won't connect to any of my work places or at home, utterly useless. It picked up a hotspot passing by Starbucks and downloaded my Gmail. Cool!

I updated to Froyo, lost all my apps. Had Wifi connection for 3 minutes and thought the firmware update had cured it....NOPE. It cut out, I rebooted and it has not been back since. Really, this is a joke. They call it an Internet Tablet? Why can't I get internet on it?

Absolutely disgusted.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:03 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

phazuka, perhaps you have a bad wireless card in yours - that could lead to problems... I have had my 70 for about a month now without isse. I haven't had any issues connecting to home, phone, or "available" networks at all. I have heard some have issues with higher channels but haven't experienced it myself.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:15 am 
Archos User
Archos User

A picture is worth a thousand words.....

If it's a bad wifi card, how do I get it fixed? I got it thru Archos direct and the return policy is 7 days, I've had it for about 2 weeks now. It worked temporarily on the settings I'm using now. It works slightly better when I use G mode only...or maybe it's N mode only but then all the other wireless devices in the house don't work. Of course, that is completely unacceptable.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:22 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

if it is indeed a bad card you can exchange it (defective not a return). I have no experience doing this with Archos but if you search you can find some threads here on people that have had to go that route. I am just not sure on the "best" way to test to validate 100% that it is a bad card. I just wanted to point out that what you're seeing is not typical as others, myself included, have been "connected".

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:26 am 
Archos User
Archos User

prickleypaw wrote:
if it is indeed a bad card you can exchange it (defective not a return). I have no experience doing this with Archos but if you search you can find some threads here on people that have had to go that route. I am just not sure on the "best" way to test to validate 100% that it is a bad card. I just wanted to point out that what you're seeing is not typical as others, myself included, have been "connected".

i know, i'm just dreading the "Archos Customer Service Treatment" described by others. I mean, this is a basic networking function. I'm just extremely frustrated right now and 2nd guessing my choice. Shoulda' got a Samsung.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:47 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Wifi has been running okay for me.. I remember in the beginning it did cut out, but all i know for sure is the "prevent wifi sleep" never works

The wifi always turns off when the screens off

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:05 am 
Archos User
Archos User

You know I had trouble with the wifi shutting off a lot also but that making sure the powersave function was off in the wifi network settings for each individual network I connected to did the trick.
Surely that wouldn't help in this case?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:33 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Well I guess something was changed regarding how the tablet connects to the wifi router. I had my TP Link set before to G only as with 2.1 the tablet would not stay connected for over a minute using draft N. Right now after the update I have a much faster and very stable wifi connection. The guys with the problem ... why don't you try setting your wireless to G only and see if that would help.

I know it's no the perfect solution, but worked for me before.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:13 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Phazuka wrote:
A picture is worth a thousand words.....

If it's a bad wifi card, how do I get it fixed? I got it thru Archos direct and the return policy is 7 days, I've had it for about 2 weeks now. It worked temporarily on the settings I'm using now. It works slightly better when I use G mode only...or maybe it's N mode only but then all the other wireless devices in the house don't work. Of course, that is completely unacceptable.

Were you planning to shoot some people? :D

As for connection issues, I haven't had an issue since updating to froyo. I'm on a G connection (good old WRT54GL), so maybe gopix is onto something when it comes to N connections.

vohkuhl

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:56 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I couldn't connect at all with my router on only "n". I changed it to b, g, n and it's working fine.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:16 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Well, I changed my router security to WEP and that seems to have stopped the wifi from dropping...That's really really odd...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:05 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I have a WPA encryption and after and ony after upgreading to Froyo my archos 70 try to connect for about 5-6 times, and if he connects all other PCs are in few seconds disconnected ... very strange..
When I disable wifi on archos every other device with wifi can connect and remain connected...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:39 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I had the same type of problem with the last firmware on networks with WPA2. The official response from Archos support was that the Archos shouldn't even be able to connect to password protected WPA networks and that it should only be able to connect if your router has a quick connect button. He told me that "somehow" my device had gotten around that. In short, what he told me is total BS and he had no idea what he was talking about. I tried to get the issue escalated to someone who knew networking, but I never received another response.
Bottom line is Archos knows there are networking issues but they may not know what those issues are (especially if their support guys just give BS answers without passing bugs on).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:13 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Same problem with my wifi. The strange is that some works and some not...very strange, it seems to be compatibility issue problem with some kind of router....I'm very confused and I'm still waiting for an answer from archos assistance

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:14 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I'm sorry but this froyo update wasn't ready....not only am I having networking problems at home (which I did fix by changing the security....although my wireless does drop still but at least I don't have to turn wireless of and on) but now my wireless tether on my phone doesn't work.....I bought this for portability.....not to have a turd in my lap.

Froyo was not ready to be released and seems buggy and unpolished.

My device sees my wireless tether....it tries to connect but never recieves an IP and then just sits there in settings as remembered. This seems just messy.....[code][/code]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:23 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Let's EVERYBODY open tickets at Archos Customer service !!it's not acceptable this way ! They must publish a new release as soon as possible !

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:58 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Anyone help? just updated to froyo but now cannot get WiFi to connect. Just keeps 'scanning' then 'Obtaining IP address.....' then 'Disconnected'. Absolutely no problems before upgrade. Have tried a 'Reset Android' and have no problems with other internet devices! Would love to have tried repeating the update process!!

Equally annoying cannot tether to my sony ericsson x10 mini, it goes thru the whole process but just comes back with an unable to tether message - no reason, no help nothing.

Its bin a long day updating :cry: :evil: