Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:22 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 223 posts ]  Go to page Previous 18 9 10 11 12 Next
 Post subject: Re: Owner Reviews - A70
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 2:29 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I just got my Archos70 today. I had an Archos7 which I hardwired into the ceiling of my minivan. But I've forever wanted the ability to put a vnc server on the Archos so I can control the screen from macmini I installed in my dashboard. That way whomever is sitting in the passenger seat can stop/start/change movies in the back of the van.

To install the vnc server for android required a rooted device. I read the million posts about how to downgrade and root the Archos70 and was very nervous to do it because of all the bolded warnings about how I might destroy my brand new device. I followed the instructions and everything seemed to work fine. I ended downgrading to 2.1.8 running Android 2.2.1 then ran ArchAngel to permanently root the device.

Then I installed vnc server and viola it worked like a charm. I can now control my device from my laptop. The next thing to do is bust open the dashboard and ceiling in my van and feed the wires through, setup a local wifi in the van and build a vnc plugin into centrafuse. I may add some sort of power switch into the dashboard to turn the archos on, but I haven't figured that part out yet.

Overall I really like the 70. This is my first Android device and Android itself is a little screwy. I'm not in love with the overall user interface, but it'll do what I wanted to it to do, so I'm excited about that.

The one thing that annoys me so far, and maybe I'm just outdated, but the mini-usb cable doesn't appear to be a standard mini-usb connection. What's up with that?

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 8:23 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Ok, here is my review. The fact that i am writing it on my a70 is testament to how good i feel that it is. I have been using an ipad up until now so i will endeavor to make some balanced judgements. I love the size, feel and weight of the a70. I have to 250 gb model and i find the spinning hard drive reassuring. I have a device capable of computing and not a gimic. Sure, you have to wait for it to spin up but i am not impatient.

The ipad is all about the screen. In every other respect the a70 knocks the spots off the ipad spec wise. Saying that though the screen on the a70 is no slouch. The ui on the ipad is fast and intiuitive and it is what it is. It os designed for average joe who doesnt want to think and wants no customisation. The a70 couldnt be moe different. I love the level of customisation possible on android.

All said and done the fact you can plug the a70 into the computer and drag and drop files, sorted.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:26 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

I owned a 605 wifi for 3 years with no issues before recently upgrading to the 70 and the 605 wifi is what made me stay with Archos. Well, that and the price!

I purchased the 250GB 70 and was really happy with the weight, size, aesthetics BUT within 1 hour had a a error message that i could not get shot of. It basically mena the hard drive was corrupt and i could not restore to factory settings. I carried out all the 'Formatting and Repair' options offered by the archos device and eventually ended up formatting the device and still this did not fix the tablet.

Took it back the next day and got a replacement. Again within the day another (but different) warning message appeared. Again related to the hard drive. This time i could not mount again. Again, i followed all the repari/formatting options and again formatted the archos but again no joy.

I then got a 3rd unit and again within 1 day a different warning message apeared (again related to the hard drive) which menat i could not moint the device. I did the same as the previous two times and again no joy.

I now have the 8GB model and have ordered a 32gb Micro SD chip. I love the device and have installed Zeam as the launcher, Dolphin HD for the internet and will also install Android market place. The tablet is great but i was badly let down by the poor quality of the 250GB units. As a result i now have a unit that cost £50 more than the 250GB model with less storage capacity! Go figure. The warning signs were there i guess as the 8GB and 250GB models are almost identicle prices. This should have raised an eyebrow.

I do have to add that my wife has the 250GB model and it is absolutely fine but i am nervous it will break and it will happen out of warranty or after the 28 day cooling off period and it will be back and forth from Archos for the rest of it's days.

In conclusion:

Archos BADLY need to sort quality control out. It is a great product for the price but you could easily buy a dud.

STu

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:02 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

I am also proud owner of Archos 70 8GB but I did not understand your ÔÇ£unit that cost ┬ú50 more than the 250GB modelÔÇØ part.
In Amazon ARCHOS 70 250 GB Internet Tablet costs £218.14 and ARCHOS 70 8 GB Internet Tablet costs £183.56. It is £ 35 less.
Even if we add 32 GB Micro SD Kingston for £39.49 (I bought 8GB) we end up with almost the same price (not £50 more). If you buy two 16GB cards you will spent less, actually.
Flash variant is more stable, thin and light weighted.
I am not sure I can understand people that want to carry all their video or audio collection all the time (unless they are away from home more than 3-4 days, of course).
My 1 month experience shows: it is excellent device. I had no issues during this period at all (unlike my Archos 5IT that I have to reboot several times a day).
I use both devices for reading, watching movies, browsing, online radio, online video and online TV. Flash sites play video perfectly well, the only issues are buttons on the right side that cannot be hidden and no possibility to adjust side stretch and zoom with online FLASH player.
Hopefully it will be resolved with new FW upgrade.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:06 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Should have gone to amazon then...doh! Bought both my 250gb and 8gb from micro anvika. 250gb was 230 and the 8 was 235! Found a 32 gb Micro SD card online class 4 for £50. So even with the amazon price and the SD card it is the same price as the 250 model with only 40GB storage.

Reason i want as much space as possible is that i dont want to keep moving my content about. That is boring! I want as much as possible on my archos at any one time so i can then reduce the time i spend moving content between my laptop and my archos.

Stu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:30 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

1. 250G
2. USA (though dragging with me all over world)
3. Amazon Jan 2011

I love this thing. It definitely has its finicky behavior from time to time but I'm slowly trying out different apps that work best for me and in general, not using the originally installed apps (which initially I did without thinking I might try other options).

Things I changed/setup that have brought most benefit:
1. Following the excellent setup instructions for newbies on this site.
2. Stopped using default photo browser and installed QuickPics
3. Stopped using default browser and installed Dolphin (AMAZING!)
4. Stopped using live wallpaper

All these things have improved response time and made my experience so much better. Issues I thought were inherent to the A70 I discovered were more an app issue.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:04 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

is the HDD version slower than the ssd?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:00 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

RE: is the HDD version slower than the ssd?

I haven't had enough hands-on to give you a comparison, but I can say the hard-drive is doubtfully cause of any slowness, when I have it. I've only had slowness with either internet (internet is slow/bad connection or maybe reaching devices wireless capacity not related to memory), or applications hanging or crashing (not unexpected as I use all free stuff on the android market - need to figure out what works together).

EXCEPT I did specifically move to QuickPic b/c the photo browser was slow. this probably is inherent to the fact that it is HDD not flash, but then again, I wouldn't have been able to load all my photos if I only had the 8gb.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:16 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Got my Archos 70 Internet Tablet (8gb version, 16gb card installed) a few months back and was very excited at first. All the basics work well enough, with some drops but not an intolerable number. It's a bit slow but that's okay, too. Biggest issue: each firmware update seems to solve no existing problems but only create new or aggravated ones. I'm wondering why Archos can't just give us access to Android 3.2x and be done with all these buggy private versions they keep cranking out. But I'm no geek, and maybe this is obvious to others (go ahead, slay me). It's probably about money, or maybe RAM. Anyway, with the latest "update," wifi drops constantly, and several apps I've had working for awhile die out for no apparent reason. Sometimes it gets on the Archos screen and constantly reboots until I turn it off and let it sit for awhile. Two versions back worked fairly well. Gets worse every update.

I bought this thing mainly to write with using a Bluetooth keyboard, but three BT keyboards I've tried all have the stuttering keys problem. You type B and get BBBBBBBBBBB..... to infinity, and sometimes if you hit Delete it tries desperately to wipe out the entire article you've been writing for an hour and a half. Just traveled to Europe but couldn't take it because of this reliability problem. Had to take my iPad, which is heavier and bulkier and wasn't much fun to backpack around with added keyboard. But I simply can't trust the Archos 70. Very frustrating. It's fine for just surfing the web and a few other things, if you can stand the drops, but this is such a buggy device that I'm back to the iPad for serious use for the foreseeable future. Sad. I'm loving the 7-inch screen -- it's the perfect size for biking around and keeping things light, and it's very readable. But for now it stays on the bedstand for casual use, and that's it. C'mon, Archos folks, fix this thing once and for all!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:03 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

botheras wrote:
1. A70H
2. UK
3. Lemon Digital (after a false start with Simply Electronics
4. None

Like it a lot in first 24 hours. Did the 2.801 update, Android Market, and added a few apps. Up loaded all my photos and Music, only used 10GB, I have an issue getting SMB access to my Windows 7 PC, but that's probably a Windows/my config issue. Also can't tether to my HTC tattoo phone... but think that's a tattoo issue

My use is as a combo media player for the commute to work, plus the ability to deal with Office docs a bit ( docs to go). Lovely in the hand, easy to use, good value, what's not to like
** update 16 March 11*** This device goes from strength to strength. Battery life is amazing, it gets 90 min use on the way to work, same on the way back, and about 3 hours in the evening... Starting fully charged yesterday I'm in the second full day (so 7.5 hr so far) and the batt is still kicking (10%)...
Larry

Ah.....what happened with Simply Electronics?

Just ordered mine from there, with half a mind that £189 for the 250gb was too good to be true.

Keeping everything crossed, this thing looks like pure geek pron :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:17 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

EssBen wrote:
botheras wrote:
1. A70H
2. UK
3. Lemon Digital (after a false start with Simply Electronics
4. None

Like it a lot in first 24 hours. Did the 2.801 update, Android Market, and added a few apps. Up loaded all my photos and Music, only used 10GB, I have an issue getting SMB access to my Windows 7 PC, but that's probably a Windows/my config issue. Also can't tether to my HTC tattoo phone... but think that's a tattoo issue

My use is as a combo media player for the commute to work, plus the ability to deal with Office docs a bit ( docs to go). Lovely in the hand, easy to use, good value, what's not to like
** update 16 March 11*** This device goes from strength to strength. Battery life is amazing, it gets 90 min use on the way to work, same on the way back, and about 3 hours in the evening... Starting fully charged yesterday I'm in the second full day (so 7.5 hr so far) and the batt is still kicking (10%)...
Larry

Ah.....what happened with Simply Electronics?

Just ordered mine from there, with half a mind that £189 for the 250gb was too good to be true.

Keeping everything crossed, this thing looks like pure geek pron :D

Took their sweet time....but it's arrived and is looking like being my very best new robot friend.

Sat in work with it perched on my desk, it's begging me to keep customising and messing around, the vixen :D Wait my precious, till the boss is sufficiently distracted by champ manager :D

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:26 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I got mine from Simply Electronics as well.
There are a few horror stories out there regarding this Company.
They keep you hanging on for 20 minutes on a 0844 number (thats where they make some money).
Took 9 days to get here!!!!

But......For £185 for the 250 GB version, I'm not complaining.
All in all a fantastic piece of kit which I have had no problems with......YET!!!!
Could that be the kiss of death?

P.S. That tethering you couldn't do.....If you are in the UK you will find that ALL the carriers have forbidden tethering now unless you upgrade to their special (extra money) plans.
It's a bit naughty doing a unilateral cut off of this feature without telling anybody. I have a 500MB data plan with 3 in the UK and I can't upgrade to the '1Plan' until May next year.
Hopefully the carriers in the UK will backtrack on this offensive curtailing of our rights......I have after all got a 500MB data plan in use....what harm would it be doing if I was to tether my phone to the Archos 70 to view web pages on a bigger screen....Go figure.....

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:43 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Disappointing so far, pretty much all it does is "updating media library" till the battery dies :/

Tried the .nomedia trick which makes everything run great again......apart from not being able to see any media.......a major hindrance for a 250Gb media player.

Think it's going back as unfit for purpose.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:23 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

at dwallarchos.......
regarding your woes with a keyboard.
try this link. I have this keyboard working flawlessly with my 250gb archos 70.
As long as you use the archos USB host cable, you will have no problems.
The clips which hold the archos in place have to be manipulated.........but for £8 this is the bargain of the century mate

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Leather-Keyboar ... 581&sr=8-2

Mine was delivered next day and as I said....NO PROBLEMS AT ALL

EDIT: Edited to say the key board still works fine, but plugged in a 4gb memory stick and ran into the dreaded 'too much power required' nonsense. HOW INFURIATING IS IT TO NOT BE ABLE TO LOAD MY FILES FROM A 4GB MEMORY STICK!!!!!!

Anybody know which memory sticks DO WORK? (sandisk 4GB cruzer does NOT WORK)

EDIT AGAIN!!!! BLOODY FURIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!! THE KEYBOARD NO LONGER WORKS. IT SEEMS TO HAVE GONE KAPUT SOON AFTER TRYING TO ACCESS THE 4GB THUMB DRIVE,

Last edited by polarrich on Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:38 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Polarrich: thanks for the link. Fantastic deal. Problem is, I'm in the US and they won't ship it to me, and apparently we have nothing comparable here. And now I'm having a new/old problem with my Archos 70--battery drains out in a day, regardless of which settings I use. If I don't turn it off (and maybe if I do, haven't tried), the power is gone by the time I wake up next morning. So traveling on an all-day flight would leave me with a dead Archos = unusable.

Tech doings at this company are truly in the cellar. I can't conceive of a firm with such terrible firmware performance figuring they'll succeed in the long run. I'm happy for those of you who have had positive experiences with these things, but that's far from my experience. I just ordered a Macbook Air 11'. I think that's going to be my long-term solution to the portability issue. Maybe if Archos does some major changes (tech staff?) and iron some of this stuff out, I'll reconsider later on, because I still love the 7" size. But sadly, I have zero faith in this company at present.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:42 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

1. 8G
2. Estland
3. Amazon.co.uk
4. none

hi,
my first post in this community:)
got my first archos device few days ago, its also my first tablet and almost 1st android (got android gsm month earlier) so everything is very new.
i was looking for device which would allow me over wifi to check online media etc in bed before falling asleep. for starter i was more after mainstream tablets (Archos is not that known in this part of Europe but its still possible to find them here) but i could not justify the price. then i found archos:) and after some surfing around and reading reviews (also here) the decision was made. 8G decision was also easy as i really dont have any use for this 250G space. As locally the price of A70 8G is ~Ôé¼300 (~Ôé¼250 with discount) i went for Amazon where i got it for ~┬ú180. Unfortunately DHL took away some of my savings but i still got it bit cheaper.
After receiving my device i spend evening with Allen's great post and set it up without any problems (which is rare). Usually i need 2-3 runs (like with my android phone) to get everything ok. I have few questions though (which i will post in this thread).
First expressions are really good and its just what i wanted. replaced stock launcher with launcher pro and everything got even smoother. had it today with me at work and using tunein it was playing radio from 9.00 to 17.00 (through separate active speaker system) and battery drop from 90% to 50% which seems pretty good.
Overall really nice device =D>

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:10 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Well, between studiokuma and arctools apps i seem to have tamed the beast for now. New firmware update is also quite nifty so far.

Even picked up a 101 for my daughters birthday today, for the bargain price of £150 at carphone warehouse.

Now maybe ready too start thinking about a custom rom....maybe.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:11 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

My 14 year old son has had his Archos 70 since last Christmas. We downloaded google apps to widen the variety. We have since used it as a Skype phone using wifi, watched streaming Netflix movies, and set up a Windows 7 box as a Media center with 40 or so movies that he can access from his archos. The streaming through my WIFI is seamless, with no jitters. We've downloaded many albums, and have had no issues. I have Pandora on it, and it works great as well. APK packages load easily from my computer or downloaded from the apps market.
It hooks to my Linux distos (Ubuntu and Mint) and can transfers movies and albums from/to the device at will.
I can only say good comments about it, and can't wait for the next generation, so I can own my own.
Oh, and their support team for an RMA , for us, when we had a problem, went smooth. They even sent us a NEW unit.
I think it's the best company, overall, out there for the tablet market, hands down.

Chuck
Merritt Island, Florida

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:06 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

New user even to Android not just Archos.

1. Archos 70 Internet Tablet 250G
2. Saudi Arabia
3. Hyper Panda (Store)
4. No Review video.

Awesome device, liked it much but got shocked by some stuff, like:
-Doesn't support Arabic!
-Doesn't make call or video chat, (have tried much applications).
-Doesn't have direct usb port (need another cable).
-Doesn't have built-in SIM place.
-Installed some games like (Gangster, 9mm, PES11 which doesn't worked fine, so slow and restart the device much).

Anything else is amazing!

Well, Archos is awesome and i just think the developers and the company could improve and make more awesome stuff.

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:21 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Have had my A70IT for about a week now, after using an A7HTv1 for close to a year, and an A7HTv2 for several months. (Edit: Got the 8GB from the Archos store for $199 with Free shipping).

On the A70IT, I immediately put on a "Lexerd" brand screen protector (available from Amazon) and went straight for the latest firmware (2.4.65), followed promptly by running Appslib to load the latest Arctools, which got me the regular Android Market on the first try. As others have noted, the Archos 70IT doesn't show up in my Android market device list, but I can still install (free) apps on it, and while the Android Market website tracks my successful app installs and allows me to review installed apps, the Market app crashes when I go to rate/review anything using the tablet.

Also, the firmware-provided in-browser flash (10.1) works for me. I can cruise YouTube and see and hear videos.

This is not my first capacitive device (I have a small Korean-made music player), but it is my first capacitive display/tablet. As I've already posted elsewhere, I prefer resistive for browsing any busy website, because one can very precisely tap with a fingernail.

The A70IT is appreciably lighter than the A7HT (V1 and V2), but unfortunately, it is also "taller" than the A7HT when held in landscape orientation. It's not a lot when you measure it with a ruler, but the comfort improvement for one-handed landscape reading, while noticeable - thank goodness - is not as life-changing as I'd hoped it would be. One's hand is stretched further. My hands are pretty big, and I think most people would not find the A70IT comfortable using one hand to read in landscape. However, it's in portrait orientation that I was seduced - they've curved the back and it's really close to a dream reading device now when held in portrait.

The battery drain is pretty alarming. With WiFi OFF, and screen brightness kept at about 30%, the battery usage meter tells me that the screen is what's really sucking the power here, and I went from 99% charged to 60% charged in about an hour and half of reading (with a music app in the background). I was hoping that e-reading - my primary application - would mean better battery life than an average A70IT user would see (I mean, you just flip a page every minute or so, right?) but I seem to be experiencing the same quick drain that many others on the board deal with.

So in short, to make this my dream tablet, I'd sacrifice the camera and HDMI-out if that could bring the landscape "height" down slightly. I have no use for those things, but I understand that they're a big part of the tablet universe for most customers. In the matter of resistive vs. capacitive, that's a battle that's already been fought and I'm on the losing side, so I'll just have to get used to greasy fingerprints all over my screen cover. :)

I occasionally buy e-books from Barnes and Noble, so I appreciate that the nook.apk which someone posted in one of these ArchosFans forums a few months ago could get up and running on my new A70IT. I logged in and immediately saw all of my purchases, without benefit of the Android Market.

I only dove into tablets for bedtime reading - books and web and PDFs - with audio streaming a major consideration. With my A7HTs, I was able to borrow local library books with Overdrive Media Console, read PDFs with a great open-source viewer (apv) which worked on the A7HTv1, and used Aldiko for ePubs. The A70IT brings all that over as well as a nicer weight and feel, a newer OS, Flash support, more horsepower (although I keep power consumption downshifted), and also adds Nook app capability to its bag of tricks. It also keeps stereo speakers facing front, which I like. It'd be nice if the battery didn't drain so dramatically, but you can't have everything.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 223 posts ]  Go to page Previous 18 9 10 11 12 Next