Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:22 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 223 posts ]  Go to page Previous 18 9 10 11 12 Next
 Post subject: Re: Owner Reviews - A70
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:58 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

1. 8Gb
2. Greece
3. Public
4. Not yet...but soon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:26 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Archos 70IT 250GB (2.1.08+market)
USA
Erwincomp.com

I have had my 250 for about three weeks and enjoy my new pal. I mostly use it to watch videos, play games and surf the web. I think it's a very quick device for the pricetag, but I don't like that it force closes the web-browser so often (dolphin HD/miren browser). It also closes down ADW launcher but that is probably because I run auto memory manager. I have also experienced some audio-video lag but then I just rewind and the audio is all synced again. USB host cable works with my canon T2i, but havn't used it much. HDMI cable also works great, but it would be much better if the screen would be cloned instead of the black, not so easy to use, mousepad that the archos screen becomes now.
I have tried to point out the only problems I have with it, in general: I like this device very much and it is very good for video, gaming and perhaps internet browsing (though I don't really like it due to all the force close).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:20 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Archos 70it 250GB and Archos 70it 8GB. Both from Amazon.co.uk.

I bought the 250GB for myself since I travel a lot for work and wanted something more convenient to hold while watching movies on economy flights than my laptop. Then I bought the 8GB for the missus so we can try out video calls while I'm away since I often have access to WiFi in hotels abroad anyway and this'll save on phone bills.

So far I'm running both devices more-or-less using the stock apps, just added the few obvious ones Dolphin HD, Kindle, Angry Birds (naturally ;) ).

So far impressed, it's my first exposure to Android too so some of the credit should go there too I suppose. The stock video player is fine for my needs certainly the image and sound quality is fine. At my desk I generally have the device on mains running the alarm clock widget with weather and music playing.

It would be nice if there were power management options that varied depending on whether the device is connected to mains or not (i.e. when on mains, brightness full, overdrive and when off mains, brightness low, powersave), though it is only a matter of a few taps to switch manually.

It would also be nice if the device cleaned itself of fingerprints automatically.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:15 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Halo,

Archos 70IT 8GB
Archos.co.id
I haven't write a review on my blog, even though I have been play with this device for a week.
Over all, I'm satisfy, but onething I want to ask, is it possible for 70IT 8GB connect with my WD 250GB external HD? If it can, how come? Please give me suggest and tips&trick.

Thank you

Regards from Jakarta

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:01 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Aloha smartlife,

Welcome to our forum :)

Off-topic about HDs. You'll find a lot of info in the Accessories forum.

Allen

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:50 am 

Thewapman wrote:
(though I don't really like it due to all the force close).

Possible simple solution: add those apps to AMM's whitelist.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:07 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

@Allen:

Thank you, yes I have around to this forum and I decided to try to connect with nokia ca-157 cable. Hope it's work, and I can carrying my hdd movies with my A70IT.

:)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:55 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Archos 70 250GB
UK - Bought from Best Buy UK who are running a 15% discount at the moment so price was £229.

Initial thoughts are that for my purposes it appears to be really good. Loving the Kindle app especially. My only query so far (though I have only had it for just over a day) is that some of the video streaming such as tv catch up, iplayer appears pretty jerky. Oh well, asides from that loving it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:54 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

smartlife wrote:
Halo,

Regards from Jakarta

Hei Juragan,

Regards from Balikpapan :D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:52 am 
Archos User
Archos User

I've had my Archos 70 for about two weeks now. Here are my initial thoughts.

What I like:
1. Size is just perfect for holding in one hand and storing in a cargo pocket.
2. Five screens.
3. USB, although I'm afraid that one port won't be enough.
4. Bluetooth/Wireless is easy to use.

What I dislike:
1. Seems to get pretty hot after an hour or so.
2. Pre-installed applications. They're pretty good, but I'd rather choose.
3. Pre-installed applications. I have not found a way to uninstall them.
4. No USB charging means I have to carry another cord.
5. Had to get a Google account

What I could care less about:
1. Market Place vs AppsLib. AppsLib has plenty of programs and is easier to
navigate, Too bad it is offline so much.
2. Web Camera - I don't video conference.
3. VGA Camera won't be replacing my Canon.
4. HDMI output.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:40 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

1. A70H
2. UK
3. Lemon Digital (after a false start with Simply Electronics
4. None

Like it a lot in first 24 hours. Did the 2.801 update, Android Market, and added a few apps. Up loaded all my photos and Music, only used 10GB, I have an issue getting SMB access to my Windows 7 PC, but that's probably a Windows/my config issue. Also can't tether to my HTC tattoo phone... but think that's a tattoo issue

My use is as a combo media player for the commute to work, plus the ability to deal with Office docs a bit ( docs to go). Lovely in the hand, easy to use, good value, what's not to like
** update 16 March 11*** This device goes from strength to strength. Battery life is amazing, it gets 90 min use on the way to work, same on the way back, and about 3 hours in the evening... Starting fully charged yesterday I'm in the second full day (so 7.5 hr so far) and the batt is still kicking (10%)...
Larry

A70H

Last edited by botheras on Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:04 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Zenstrive wrote:
smartlife wrote:
Halo,

Regards from Jakarta

Hei Juragan,

Regards from Balikpapan :D

Halo bro,

Woaa...we meet at the forum for far away from our nation huh...nice to meet you...i just to try to connect my hdd to A70IT wish me luck!

Regards from Jakarta

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:46 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

1. ARCHOS 70 IT 250G *im very proud of the 250G*
2. Indonesia
3. Gateway Solution
4. http://www.kaskus.us/showthread.php?t=3737698&page=33

because it's in Indonesian language i'll post it here in English

for watching movie 9 from 10 star.. well the minus is if I forwarding it will load for about a minute
for music is 8 from 10 stars.. i don't know why when i play avenged sevenfold with maximum volume it the sound isn't very good
for playing 8 from 10 stars.. I love playing zenonia2 =D>

btw i have question. how to update the firmware without using wifi.
second.. i already put some music n photos to folder music and image.. why when i open galery and music.. my music and photo didn't detected. I must open it from gallery

*sorry for bad english

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:51 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

8gb
2.2 market
USA
So I have only had my tablet for 24 hours. After the first hour I knew for sure it was going to be good. This thing is fast despite the low ram. It is a must have to get the real google market. Unfortunatley youtube.com is very slow. Though the app works great. I am typing the reveiw with my archos 70 so it must be good. Speakers are very loud and screen resolution is okay. Camera is pretty cheap comstruction is okay.q

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:14 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hello.

I bought a used A70 8 gb last night. Paid $220. I live in San Francisco.

I was looking forward to using it as a simple internet interface for my tv, using the hdmi out, but I realize now that it's not that simple. I'm hoping that it will play the vob files I have stored up.

Is there a way to play streaming tv on it? I tried logging onto myp2p.eu to view some of their sports streams, but they don't play on the A70.

Browsing is ok, about the same as on my phone, not as good as on a PC.

Installed the Android Market app from a post on xda.

What are some good apps to go for at this point?

Thanks for you help.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:24 pm 

Rocknrao wrote:
Browsing is ok, about the same as on my phone, not as good as on a PC.

Besides this one line of review, your questions would be better posted in another topic... also check out the gen8 apps part of the forum

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:18 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Allow me to restate my introduction:

1. Archos 70it
2. San Francisco
3. Purchased used from Craiglist
4. No other reviews posted yet.

My initial impression of the A70 is that it's a bit laggy and freezes up from time to time. It updated itself to 2.1.8 as soon as it was connected to my home wifi. I tend to run it in Overdrive mode mostly. I wonder if installing a task killer or battery saver would be effective on the A70.

I installed an android market app (v.5 found online), but it doesn't list all the same apps as the one on my phone (LG Optimus V).

I figured out how to tether it to my phone using the Wifi hotspot feature, but it has since occurred to me that in most cases, if I need to use tethering I'm probably better off just using my phone to accomplish whatever it is I'm attempting to do.

I typically use the A70 to browse the internet around my house, because it boots up a lot faster than my laptop does (a Dell 700m). I had envisioned using it as a travel aid, especially for viewing streaming tv in cases where I'm trying to watch live sports while I'm on the road somewhere, but I haven't found any apps that are applicable for that purpose yet.

So far, the only game I have installed is Angry Birds, and it works pretty well on the A70. I am looking forward to finding other simple yet fun games for the device.

I installed SlideIt keyboard to replace the stock Android keyboard. It works fairly well, but the Android soft buttons on the right side of the screen interfere with the SlideIt keyboard in landscape mode. I am curious about alternatives to SlideIt.

I have read that there are alternate user interfaces which run more smoothly than the stock interface, but I have not tried one yet. Launcher Pro seems to get frequent mention, but it isn't available on the verison of Android market that is installed on my A70.

Also, I want to learn how to stream media, like ripped dvds, from my laptop to the archos using the wifi setup in my house.

the A70 doesn't measure up to the ipad, but it does seem to be useful as a very portable browsing device for doing basic surfing and a few other simple tasks.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:46 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Unlike the 101 which I though was complete crap, I kind of like my 70 (250 Gb).

It's not at the iPad level, but the screen is much better than on the 101 (better colors, better angles and it's actually usable as a touchscreen). Also the (smaller) resolution of the screen seems to be more adapted to the electronics, the 101 compared to it is dog slow.

It's a bit on the heavy side, but it has a 250 Gb HD in it. Price and codec support are great, and the finish is OK.

Overall I still think the iPad is a better generic tablet, but I kind of like the 7" format and I wanted a good video PMP that can read almost everything, which the 70 seems to be.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:23 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I purchased my 8GB Archos 70 on Ebay for $225, which also got me a decent case (it's not designed for the 70 but seems to fit very well), an HDMI cable, a 32 GB micro SD card, a pre-installed screen protector and all the original packaging. Overall, I felt that this was a pretty good deal! I also have a second hand Archos 32 which I've grown to really love, so the move to an Archos 70 seemed like a great decision.

I've had this now for a few weeks and really like it. I had no problem installing Google Market using ArcTools and I've also been enjoying Amazon's App Market as well. When I received my Archos, it seemed terribly slow and laggy. I moved all the preinstalled content on the 32 GB card, reformatted it and installed my own music and video files. I then did a full multimedia reset and after quite awhile, the database was rebuilt and the unit runs very nicely now.

My main reasons for purchasing this was that I just really dislike using iTunes in order to move things off and on my iPod Touch 2G. I decided to keep the iPod 2G for all my music-making apps and use the Archos for music and online-radio listening, as well as for using a few art apps that I've been interested in trying out.

As far as art apps go, I've been using Sketchbook Mobile, Paint Joy, Magic Doodle and DoodleDroid. All these apps have their plusses and minuses, but so far I've really been enjoying Magic Doodle and DoodleDroid.

I did purchase DoodleDroid through the online version of Google's app store but it will not install on either the A32 or the A70. I found a slightly earlier version of the APK file and installed that instead. This version of DoodleDroid has been a real pleasure to use for the shear number of interesting brushes. I wish that DoodleDroid had multiple layers though.

Magic Doodle is perhaps the best all-around paint app on my system. it's very fast on both the A70 and the A32 and there's lots of options to play with.

Sketchbook Mobile works quite well on my A70 (though it refuses to install on my A32). It's just a bit slow though but it has an enormous number of wonderful features. I just wish it were as responsive as Magic Doodle.

As far as Pros and Cons, here's a short list:

Pros:
1. Perfect size for my hands and for travelling.
2. Fast enough to run the apps I really want to use.
3. The sound seems better through headphones on the A70 then on the A32. It just might be me, but the frequency response seems greater on the A70.
4. Speakers mean I can take it anywhere and set it up to listen while I'm working.
5. The speakers are surprisingly loud!
6. Once I removed the screen protector that came with my used A70, the screen seemed so much brighter and a bit more responsive.
7. Being able to plug the device into my computer and drag and drop files is just wonderful! No more iTunes!!!!!
8. Browsing and YouTube works great and there's lots of games available. Apple still has the lead here but the quality of Android apps is improving by leaps and bounds.
9. A reasonably quick boot-up time is very nice.

Cons:
1. Music creation apps I have downloaded all seem to suffer from some latency problems. I don't know if this is a problem with the A70's hardware or with Android in general.
2. I wish there were a rear facing camera. I don't plan on doing any video chatting so a front facing camera doesn't do anything for me. I know the camera sucks but still, it would have been more useful to me if it were rear-facing.
3. The device has frozen on my a couple of times, especially when updating apps through Google Market or Amazon's App store. A quick reset solved those problems.
4. I wish that the database management were better. Having to rebuild the multimedia database in order to stop songs from skipping makes sense but when you've got many gigs of multimedia files, the process can take quite a bit of time.
5. Battery life could have been better but I've been able to manage better battery life by routinely turning off apps when I start the system and turning off wifi when I'm not using it.
6. Battery usage is odd though. I run through the initial 20-25% of the battery quite quickly then find that the battery runs down much slower after that.
7. Multi-touch is iffy but with practice works well. The implementation on Apple's devices is certainly better.

All in all, I'm very happy with the purchase and look forward to what Archos intends to bring to market in the next few months!

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 9:02 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Received it yesterday

1. 8Gb
2. Germany
3. Amazon 132Ôé¼
4. not yet

I bought an Archos 7 Home Tablet 8G two months ago (had been sold on Ebay by a guy who bought it two months before :D ) and entered this forum for the custom ROMs. I did quite a lot of testing and posting there. The tablet was very good for reading e-books and rather good for web-surfing and not good at all for either playing or watching viedeo (especially when I updated to custom ROM with 2.1 Eclair).

So I was missing something.
Then I saw the videos of the Archos 7 IT and how smooth it was running.
So buying this one and selling the other would be an additional investment of 130Ôé¼.
It came yesterday.

pros:
1. Menus and screens are a lot smoother
2. WiFi has a striking better range, resolution - never lost contact so far
3. Video being with no artefacts and not stuttering
4. 3D-games look very good
5. Internet is very smooth, Flash is working fine
6. Youtube is working fine
7. Easy installation/deinstallation of GAPPS with ArcTools (load with applibs)
8. light-weight
9. responsive screen with pitch-and-zoom

cons:
1. Frame and screen very sensitive to fingerprints
2. During installation of bigger apps (Aldiko Premium, Teamviewer) it hanged up and needed to be resetted
3. Music Player did not look for albums on SD-card (might just be a setting)
4. Plastig frame seems to be a bit more filigrane than the Home Tablet
5. No switch to lock the device from accidently being switched on

After all I am still pretty impressed. I tried the Samsung tab before in the store and it did not look much faster in normal operation.
I am a bit worried about all the post dealing with a broken screen. I guess I will have to be just a bit careful transporting it in a suitable cover.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 223 posts ]  Go to page Previous 18 9 10 11 12 Next