Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:42 am

All times are UTC+01:00




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 223 posts ]  Go to page Previous 17 8 9 10 11 12 Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Owner Reviews - A70
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:18 pm 
Offline
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:51 pm
Posts: 9
1st post on the forum, just wanted to share my experience of the 70 IT.

I've had it for a couple of days and have to say overall that I'm impressed. I decided to go for the 8Gb version as I wanted it as slim and as light as possible and didn't want the extra point of failure that would be the HDD. Anybody who has had any previous experience with Archos products will understand that one... ;)

Straight out of the box, I charged it for several hours, although it took 2 charging sessions before I saw the charge LED blinking to indicate it was full. Haven't installed the Google App Store or upgraded AppLib yet but have updated the firmware to, I think, 2.0.71(?)...anyway, whatever the latest available version is via the firmware update.

It feels good although a little too 'plasticky'...the extending 'arm' used to hold it upright seems to be made out of the same material as the plastic trays inside boxes of chocolates and looks like it will last about a week...luckily, I don't plan on using it like that. The speakers are good but it seems to suffer from the same problem as my 604, which is Archos deciding how loud they will let you have the volume.

The touch-screen (and the display itself is very bright & crisp) is nice but it makes you realise how good something like an iPhone is, as it's unfortunately not quite as pleasant to use and not as responsive. The screen itself is extremely reflective, more so than most things I've come across (including some mirrors) and saying it's a 'finger print magnet' just doesn't come close...trust me, you'll be removing marks from it every 5 minutes for the first few weeks you own it. The same goes for the case surround...I'm sure Archos could have prevented this. Also, I personally don't think the viewing angle is perfect...it's good, but just needs to be that little bit wider...maybe it's the way I hold it but I don't have the same 'problem' with any of my other devices.

None of these things are show stoppers and I've come to expect the Archos foibles such as having to buy a plugin so that I can play MPEG-2 video, even though I've just spent over £200 on the tablet. I've owned a 604 for 4 years and it's just about on its last legs so I wanted something purely to watch video on the move and the 70 IT seems to be the perfect device. Yeah, I could have gone for a series 5 but wanted something a bigger than the 4.3" screen on my 604 and something that's current rather than near or at end of life.

The only real annoyance is the limited availablity of accessories for it here in the UK. I don't really want to use it on the move without first putting it in a case and trying to get a case for it is near impossible...looks like I'll have to wait at least 3 weeks before a decent one becomes available (Tuff-Luv), the same goes for a screen protector.

All in all, I'm glad I chose it and that's about the best recommendation I can give.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Owner Reviews - A70
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:08 pm 
Offline
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:05 pm
Posts: 42
Try looking at Kindle cases


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Owner Reviews - A70
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:12 pm 
Offline
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:51 pm
Posts: 9
leathej wrote:
Try looking at Kindle cases


Thanks for the tip but I think I'll hold out for something specifically designed for the 70 IT. Not sure I like the idea of it being held in by elastic at each corner, but that's probably just me being paranoid. ;)


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Owner Reviews - A70
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:12 pm 
Offline
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:32 pm
Posts: 6
1. Name Your Model - 250G
2. UK
3. Amazon.co.uk (easysatnav supplied)
4:

"A thing of beauty is a joy forever" - Keats

I think that's a pretty good starting point. I'm not sure about the forever bit (these things have batteries you see) but Beautiful and Joyful? Definitely

Having been a fan of Android for the last couple of years I was looking for something that I could read books on (phone screens are just too small) but that I could configure just the way I liked it - something that wouldn't need another phone contract but could keep me entertained whilst out of the house. This all pointed in one direction - Go French my boy!

I have had experience with Archos before beginning with the old school blue and silver magic brick they called the jukebox and more recently with the brilliant (between freezes) 604 so I had an idea of what to expect but the A70 exceeds expectations.

What a piece of kit!

There have been a couple of teeth sucking moments - 2 freezes (both were possibly my fault) and the abject reluctance of the music app to add my albums to the "carousel" but these are minor points when the overall performance has been awe inspiring.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Owner Reviews - A70
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:08 am 
Offline
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:53 am
Posts: 16
1. Archos A70 IT - 250GB
2. Singapore
3. Challenger - SGD$479

Review:

Had archos 5 previously and was very pleased to find out that they came up with A70 with a 250gb and in a reasonable price. I had a few types of movies that wasn't able to watch it on archos 5, now i am able to watch it on A70. Although touchscreen is not as responsive as Ipad, it is still bearable.

However, i am having difficulties with the updating of media library which is a common problem with everyone. My 100gb of video have been deleted a few times due to this problem and i managed to solve it through reading the forum. Inputting .nomedia to stop the deletion of files but bookmarking and resuming of movies stop to function due to .nomedia file. I hope archos could solve this problem asap.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Owner Reviews - A70
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:58 pm 
Offline
Archos User
Archos User

Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:44 am
Posts: 114
Location: New Hampshire
A70IT 8GB
USA
Simply Electromics

Only have this now for 24 hours and I updated to 2.1.3 and can't say that I can find any of the issue others have had. I have been using it for 6 hours today playing music searching the web and markets and still have 60% bettery lvl. Everything from watching youtube tp downlowding files works fine. I plan to do more and test more software. Watched a full movie last night and love the screen. So far the only issue I have is the audio cuts out with music in the background and doing other stuff but it could be some setting I have not found yet. Typing this out on the device now and it not bad, would like a better keybourd but i should be able to find one of those.

_________________
A70IT S firmware 2.3.81


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Owner Reviews - A70
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:48 am 
Offline
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:29 am
Posts: 2
:? Hey everyone
This is my first time posting anything anywhere. I had an A70 250G for about two week and had to send it back to Amazon USA. Paid $349 and The hard drive locked up and I wasnÔÇÖt able to format it because the A70 thought it was still mounted to my PC. I was able to connect to the internet but couldnÔÇÖt install any apps or the firmware to re-format. IÔÇÖm waiting to order a replacement because Im not sure anymore if I still want a working 250G hard drive or the safer but limited flash memory. With the USB host I could still just use a portable HD of what ever size. Does any one know if it has a limitation on the size of DD like can it read a TB?
Before it died I did get the HDMI converter plug and found out it is nearly impossible to play Angry Birds on my 52ÔÇØ TV. As soon as you switch over to the TV output the A70 screen turns into a very slow and unresponsive touch pad without multi touch. This feature is really only for watching your movies.
Im still impressed with the product but am discouraged that after waiting for a year and a half the one I get is a dud.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Owner Reviews - A70
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:36 am 
Offline
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:52 am
Posts: 5191
Location: Hanapepe, HI
Aloha willieshine,

Welcome to our forum :)

For Ext HD you should be ok if the HD has its own power supply. Otherwise it won't work.

I've got a couple of BT KB/TPs - one small and one normal size. I would use those when I hook my A70 to my TV instead of the A70's touchscreen.

Allen

_________________
-An old geek 8)
5IT|A70S|A101


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Owner Reviews - A70
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:04 pm 
Offline
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:41 pm
Posts: 4
nfordrchsfns wrote:
Crashman wrote:
... It seems that the native Android is geared for only up to 32GB of storage so having 250GB will obviously force it to gag...


FWIW: I have about 75G of files on my 250G. I use it an hour or more a day just to listen to random music files, plus playing games, watching videos, etc., and I've never had a problem with the drive, so it does seem like it can handle more than 32G.


I've put over 100GB of video and music on my Archie 70 thus far with no problem at all.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Owner Reviews - A70
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:00 am 
Offline
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:53 am
Posts: 16
vernal21 wrote:
nfordrchsfns wrote:
Crashman wrote:
... It seems that the native Android is geared for only up to 32GB of storage so having 250GB will obviously force it to gag...


FWIW: I have about 75G of files on my 250G. I use it an hour or more a day just to listen to random music files, plus playing games, watching videos, etc., and I've never had a problem with the drive, so it does seem like it can handle more than 32G.


I've put over 100GB of video and music on my Archie 70 thus far with no problem at all.


are you able to use the resume and bookmark function on ur videos? my videos keep getting deleted during the media scan so i put in the .nomedia in the video folder and the resume n bookmark stop functioning.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Owner Reviews - A70
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:55 am 
Offline
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:32 pm
Posts: 2
A70 250GB
INDIA
Amazon.com

So yeah, this is really more of a fling. I'm a total gadget freak (PC, psp, moto droid, etc.), and when I noticed Archos had 500 and 250 GB tabs I simply had to get one. The Archos 5 500 I was told, is dying out now, and isn't really worth it. Plus I wanted something with a good UI, froyo perhaps, and the 70 sorta fitted the description. Plus I am a media junkie so I just didn't think twice.
The whole deal worked out to about 400 clams including expedited shipping. On the whole it's been a pleasant experience so far, I've taken help from this wonderful forum setting up android market, updating my firmware etc. So far so good. My only whim is, after I dumped seasons of my stuff on the 70, I tried watching an avi and got a horrible message about an MP2 codec and a paid plugin from archos.com.
I really don't want to spend any more than 400 bucks and I'm wondering if there's a way out of this? Is rockplayer as solid on the A70 as it is on my moto droid? I wanted a no questions asked, 'I play anything' tablet, and from the convenient description on the archos website, this A70 was supposed to do just that. It's great n' all otherwise, I LOVE the UI.

I'll post up a nice review on my blog soon with photos (maniacworx.wordpress.com)

Peace until then :)


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Owner Reviews - A70
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:31 pm 
Offline
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:33 am
Posts: 42
Not bad, happy with price point and you get what you pay for.
Noticeably laggier than ipad but around par with my Nexus 1 (same proc... duh). Can choke a bit on complex webpages and / or multitasking, the 256Mb RAM is obviously not helping.
But for nearly half the price of the base model ipad I'm happy + the form factor is excellent.
Fantastic video support, don't care about cinema plugin / AC3 in mkv - not enough space to just dump 720p rips so you're converting anyway.
Just don't expect to run top of the line 3D games well, gpu is underpowered, heck its just like my N1 lol.
Also you really have to be a bit of a techie to get the best out of the system, or alternatively use it vanilla as a pure media player/browser, either way you're going to be able to get it running in good shape, with a few quirks e.g. rotation messing up homescreen (android limitation not HW specific).

All in all it sits perfectly in between the broken, resistive super laggy ~200 dollar apad clones and the ipad. And blows the galaxy tab away for price/performance. Can't wait for cyanogen or the like to be finally sorted for it then it will be ace. I'm enjoying having an ebook, pdf, movie playing browsing machine that I can hold with one hand.

One bad note though, my first unit dropped from my coffee table to carpet (i.e. 1 foot drop) and the screen cracked, RMA took a month, insert jokes about French quality manufacturing.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Owner Reviews - A70
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:08 pm 
Offline
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:35 pm
Posts: 5
Archos 70 8 GB
USA - New York City
Amazon Marketplace, $289

Pros:
-Price. $ 289 was a great price.
-Speed. I don't get the complaints. It seems pretty fast for me. With overdrive on, and no unnecessary apps in the background, I don't get any slow downs within reason. Sure I can't browse any Blip.TV video pages, but I don't know of a device out there that can do that yet.
-Apps. I've installed Kindle, Google books, Youtube, Twitter, Dolphin Browser, Angry Birds, Free Advanced Task Manager, Weather bug, Vintage comics and they've all worked perfectly.

Cons:
-A lot tweaking is necessary for this device. I can't complain too much since all of it is fairly easy, and it's a cheap device, but it's a lot to ask for.
-The micro SD card is giving me problems. I have a 16 micro sd card that works with windows, but the 70 keeps telling me that it's damaged. I formatted(long and quick) the card in windows and it didn't help. I tried to format the card in the 70 but it did nothing(literally nothing happens after you click the button to format). I'm guessing that I have to reset the 70 back to factory setting to get them to work. This is the only glitch that I've had with the 70 so far, but it's pretty annoying.
-The camera is beyond crap. It works like a VGA cell phone camera from 2006. Have no camera would have been better.

Overall I'm happy with the 70. I hope that I can get the micro SD card working soon.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Owner Reviews - A70
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:44 pm 
Offline
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:40 pm
Posts: 13
Archos 70 IT 8GB arrived 4 days ago. =D>
After charging, set up wireless connection OK
Did the firmware updates which went smoothly.
Installed an 8 GB micro SD card containing both my music & ePub books with no problems.
Loaded my own ePub books to the Aldiko eBook Reader again with no problems.
Now if I can just find out how to get a Flashplayer working.
The latest Flashplayer 10.1 was built for Android 2.2 and the latest Archos firmware was 2.1.04.
Could someone advise if there is an earlier Flashplayer that I can download and install that is compatible with the Archos 70 IT ?
So far I'm both impressed and very happy with my Archos 70 IT


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Owner Reviews - A70
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:24 am 
Offline
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:04 pm
Posts: 41
endless wrote:
Archos 70 8 GB
USA - New York City
Amazon Marketplace, $289

Pros:
-Price. $ 289 was a great price.
-Speed. I don't get the complaints. It seems pretty fast for me. With overdrive on, and no unnecessary apps in the background, I don't get any slow downs within reason. Sure I can't browse any Blip.TV video pages, but I don't know of a device out there that can do that yet.
-Apps. I've installed Kindle, Google books, Youtube, Twitter, Dolphin Browser, Angry Birds, Free Advanced Task Manager, Weather bug, Vintage comics and they've all worked perfectly.

Cons:
-A lot tweaking is necessary for this device. I can't complain too much since all of it is fairly easy, and it's a cheap device, but it's a lot to ask for.
-The micro SD card is giving me problems. I have a 16 micro sd card that works with windows, but the 70 keeps telling me that it's damaged. I formatted(long and quick) the card in windows and it didn't help. I tried to format the card in the 70 but it did nothing(literally nothing happens after you click the button to format). I'm guessing that I have to reset the 70 back to factory setting to get them to work. This is the only glitch that I've had with the 70 so far, but it's pretty annoying.
-The camera is beyond crap. It works like a VGA cell phone camera from 2006. Have no camera would have been better.

Overall I'm happy with the 70. I hope that I can get the micro SD card working soon.


try using the panasonic sd card formatter. I too had similar issues with my sd card. So I am doing a workaround... I load the files on the sd card by using a sdhc card reader :D .. once loaded, just place the micrsd card on ur archos, and it works flawlessly :) it has never failed me when i did it this way .. crude, but it works!


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Owner Reviews - A70
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:30 am 
Offline
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:21 pm
Posts: 8
solos60 wrote:
Archos 70 IT 8GB arrived 4 days ago. =D>
After charging, set up wireless connection OK
Did the firmware updates which went smoothly.
Installed an 8 GB micro SD card containing both my music & ePub books with no problems.
Loaded my own ePub books to the Aldiko eBook Reader again with no problems.
Now if I can just find out how to get a Flashplayer working.
The latest Flashplayer 10.1 was built for Android 2.2 and the latest Archos firmware was 2.1.04.
Could someone advise if there is an earlier Flashplayer that I can download and install that is compatible with the Archos 70 IT ?
So far I'm both impressed and very happy with my Archos 70 IT


no no, firmware version 2.1.04 is arcos version, it's still Android 2.2, just install flash off market place and it will work


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Owner Reviews - A70
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:11 pm 
Offline
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:40 pm
Posts: 13
Thanks for the clarification Spagnitz...
Downloading Flash Player from Market Place is not working these days with the changes that Google has made to the site...
Nothing but error messages that read " no Android devices/phones associated with this account" ](*,)


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Owner Reviews - A70
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:00 pm 
Offline
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:35 pm
Posts: 5
sanyasi420 wrote:
endless wrote:
Archos 70 8 GB
USA - New York City
Amazon Marketplace, $289

Pros:
-Price. $ 289 was a great price.
-Speed. I don't get the complaints. It seems pretty fast for me. With overdrive on, and no unnecessary apps in the background, I don't get any slow downs within reason. Sure I can't browse any Blip.TV video pages, but I don't know of a device out there that can do that yet.
-Apps. I've installed Kindle, Google books, Youtube, Twitter, Dolphin Browser, Angry Birds, Free Advanced Task Manager, Weather bug, Vintage comics and they've all worked perfectly.

Cons:
-A lot tweaking is necessary for this device. I can't complain too much since all of it is fairly easy, and it's a cheap device, but it's a lot to ask for.
-The micro SD card is giving me problems. I have a 16 micro sd card that works with windows, but the 70 keeps telling me that it's damaged. I formatted(long and quick) the card in windows and it didn't help. I tried to format the card in the 70 but it did nothing(literally nothing happens after you click the button to format). I'm guessing that I have to reset the 70 back to factory setting to get them to work. This is the only glitch that I've had with the 70 so far, but it's pretty annoying.
-The camera is beyond crap. It works like a VGA cell phone camera from 2006. Have no camera would have been better.

Overall I'm happy with the 70. I hope that I can get the micro SD card working soon.


try using the panasonic sd card formatter. I too had similar issues with my sd card. So I am doing a workaround... I load the files on the sd card by using a sdhc card reader :D .. once loaded, just place the micrsd card on ur archos, and it works flawlessly :) it has never failed me when i did it this way .. crude, but it works!

I did use an SD card reader lol.

Anyways, I tried several cards including another brand new one and nothing worked. It safe to say that my unite is defective. Since everything else in the device is working fine, and I'm really only using it as an e-reader, I won't bother replacing it.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Owner Reviews - A70
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:51 pm 
Offline
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:09 pm
Posts: 9
Maybe here is the place where i can put this comment..
I were surprised to found one dead pixel on my recently received Archos 70 8GB
And then were disappointed to see an answer from Archos support, that they bad-pixel policy covers 3 or more
Archos quality did not come up to my expectations

Just FYI

Boby


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Owner Reviews - A70
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:26 am 
Offline
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:38 pm
Posts: 46
Location: France, aquitaine, gironde, bordeaux
Some volonteer to fill an review on this website ? : http://www.ciao.co.uk/Archos_70_8_GB__8039950


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 223 posts ]  Go to page Previous 17 8 9 10 11 12 Next

All times are UTC+01:00


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited