Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:53 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:31 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Hey Guys,

I put together two videos for you, someone wanted to see this when i posted my other video, so i installed all the emulators, and downloaded a bunch of roms!

I reviewed Gensoid, Nesoid, SNesoid, Gameboid, and PSX4Droid.

Highly recommend using a Wiimote to play these, it does make it that much more awesome.

Take a look:

Archos 70 IT - Game Emulators Demonstration
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTohnRxG4Sw

Archos 70 IT - Emulators Demonstration on TV via HDMI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWIi-snxEoY

Thanks for viewing and let me know if there are any questions! :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:36 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Wow, that's just amazing :D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:09 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I've been retro-gaming all day :D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:00 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

@Yuriy (or is it Yury?)

Thanks for demo'ing the emus. For the less techie, it may be a good idea to do a video tutorial on the software & hardware setup to get the emus running (stepping around the issue of acquiring ROMs, of course). Are multiple controllers possible? Have you tested any 3rd-party controller?

Can the WiiMote be mapped for use for non-game purposes, i.e. a remote for web browsing navigation, or navigating the AMC while connected to the TV? If possible, I'd put in a request for this as the next demo.

That brings up the issue of whether the browser can be adjusted for legibility at 20' distance, i.e. the 20' UI. I'm interested to see if this is possible. Also, since pinch-zoom isn't active while plugged into a TV, are normal zoom in/out keys available? Can the WiiMote do this, in lieu of a keyboard/trackpad?

How about apps on the TV? Is it possible to set up the 70 on top of the TV, and do a Fring/Skype chat?

Basically, while good that the emu's work, I'm more interested in the non-game aspects--web, apps, media. Would be nice to see what these tabs can do in these areas.

Oh yah thanks for not doing the shakycam routine. BTW, there was overexposure in some spots that render the onscreen text unreadable.

Hope to see more demos. Thanks again for the effort.

PS: Is Androidcircuit.com updated? I don't see these videos on there.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:43 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

d00b wrote:
@Yuriy (or is it Yury?)

Yuriy! 8) You nailed it the first time! (Believe it or not, the other guy who works on the site with is named Yury hah)

Quote:
Thanks for demo'ing the emus. For the less techie, it may be a good idea to do a video tutorial on the software & hardware setup to get the emus running (stepping around the issue of acquiring ROMs, of course). Are multiple controllers possible? Have you tested any 3rd-party controller?

I'd like to do one as soon as i have time, i've been writing the full review and made these videos because they can't be squeezed into the full review. I have not tested any third party controller.

Quote:
Can the WiiMote be mapped for use for non-game purposes, i.e. a remote for web browsing navigation, or navigating the AMC while connected to the TV? If possible, I'd put in a request for this as the next demo.

Yes, it can be mapped for non-gaming purposes, i haven't gotten around to playing with it yet, was actually planning on PM'ing another member to help me understand how i can do a preset that just works with the android UI, i'll figure it out by tomorrow. The wiimote can be hooked up the Classic Pro controller that has a ton of extra buttons, problem is having something to MAP things like scrolling up and down a web page/etc.

Quote:
That brings up the issue of whether the browser can be adjusted for legibility at 20' distance, i.e. the 20' UI. I'm interested to see if this is possible. Also, since pinch-zoom isn't active while plugged into a TV, are normal zoom in/out keys available? Can the WiiMote do this, in lieu of a keyboard/trackpad?

More key mapping stuff, the dev of the wiimote controller app needs to make more options to control small app functions, the on-screen zoom in/zoom out buttons are there to zoom in and out but can't scroll down the page.

Quote:
How about apps on the TV? Is it possible to set up the 70 on top of the TV, and do a Fring/Skype chat?

With duct tape? Yes hah. I tested Pandora, Adobe Reader on screen, can't really control many other apps that require swipes of fingers to navigate. It would be nice to have the ability to 'clone' the screen instead of turning it into a track pad, but i could see that being GPU intensive.

Quote:
Basically, while good that the emu's work, I'm more interested in the non-game aspects--web, apps, media. Would be nice to see what these tabs can do in these areas.

Oh yah thanks for not doing the shakycam routine. BTW, there was overexposure in some spots that render the onscreen text unreadable.

Hope to see more demos. Thanks again for the effort.

PS: Is Androidcircuit.com updated? I don't see these videos on there.
[/quote][/quote]

I agree, i want to explore what else is possible with the wiimote in terms of on-screen use because while this isn't 'Google TV', it atleast has potential to have similar features. I hate shaky cams, but i also hate that i don't have a better camera!

AndroidCircuit.com will be updated tomorrow with about three to four Archos 70 articles (still need to do the video review)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:04 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Yes, a howto would be much appreciated.
Somehow I cannot get the Wiimote to run propoerly!
It is being detected, then I try it and it works.
I then change Keyboard to the Wiimote in the program and startup the Emu.
Often, the Wiimote times out while im doing that.

If it doesnt, I try to set the buttons in Emu (they are ok in standard config, if I press up it says "D-something up").
Works as well - BUT then I try to play a game and whatever I press in the Wiimote, the emu doesnt respont.
What am I doing wrong there?

It it maybe because I use the standard Wiimote?
Do you stick the classic controller into the Wiimote or how to you do that? It it will work with them, I will just buy some theyre not that expensive..

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:21 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

azmo wrote:
Yes, a howto would be much appreciated.
Somehow I cannot get the Wiimote to run propoerly!
It is being detected, then I try it and it works.
I then change Keyboard to the Wiimote in the program and startup the Emu.
Often, the Wiimote times out while im doing that.

If it doesnt, I try to set the buttons in Emu (they are ok in standard config, if I press up it says "D-something up").
Works as well - BUT then I try to play a game and whatever I press in the Wiimote, the emu doesnt respont.
What am I doing wrong there?

It it maybe because I use the standard Wiimote?
Do you stick the classic controller into the Wiimote or how to you do that? It it will work with them, I will just buy some theyre not that expensive..

Yes, you plug in the classic controller into the Wiimote, works great.

Here are my steps:
1. Turn on bluetooth
2. Turn on discoverability
3. Press 1 and 2 on the Wiimote until LED's are blinking
4. Scan for devices, and wait for it to recognize the wiimote
(don't actually 'pair' with the wiimote, just make sure it pops up)
5. Open Wiimote Controller Application ( Press 1 and 2 on the Wiimote until LED's are blinking)
6. Press Init and Connect, once it connects hit some buttons to make sure that it works.
7. Select Controller IME and select Wiicontroller IME (important)
8. Go to the emulator > Settings > Other Settings > CHECKMARK 'Use Input Method' (important)
9. Go to Settings > Input settings > Key mappings, and map your keys.
10. Run your ROM, everything should work fine.

If this didn't work, reboot the device and try again, it took me a little time.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:02 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

You can view all three videos here --> http://androidcircuit.com/index.php/2010/11/gaming-on-the-archos-70-internet-tablet-3-videos/

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:44 am 
Archos User
Archos User

AndroidCircuit wrote:

Thanks, as soon as I got done watching I ordered a wiimote classic pro controller from e-bay! (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWNX:IT)
There are cheaper knock-off versions but I 'splurged' and got the oem for 14 bucks!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:45 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Interesting. There is one more thing:
Does it work with only the normal wii controller?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:06 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I was thinking of doing this.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Making- ... luetooth-/

SNES to bluetooth conversion.

Hrm... bet you could apply those same steps to a 6 button Genesis controller also.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:44 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I tried hero of sparta and worked great;however avatar did not recognize the sd card. How did you get it to work?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:30 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

prickleypaw wrote:
I tried hero of sparta and worked great;however avatar did not recognize the sd card. How did you get it to work?

NOVA and Assasins Creed also do not recognize SD card, i'm unsure of what the issue is.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:54 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

You should PM one of the mods for a sticky for this for the General forum (Allen P. is active in these forums). This is one of the more sought-after uses, and many people would be interested in it.

Also, I'm sure Charbax would like to get these videos (especially the HDMI-out vids) onto ArchosFans front pages. He had wanted to try a similar demo before, but didn't have the cables nor the controllers then. Suggest you send him a PM as well.

As said, I think a detailed step-by-step how-to would be excellent. It doesn't have to be video (although that would be helpful), but a text post that can be stickied.

As for the issue of acquiring ROMs etc, your earlier solution of simply referring people to Google for them should suffice.

Thanks for the effort.

Last edited by d00b on Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:57 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Thanks d00b, YOU DA MAN! :D

I'm going HD cam shopping later today, so i'll certainly put together a post for everyone in the next few days.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:46 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Questions:

. Is there any noticeable lag in controller response?

. Is the Wiimote's accel mappable to the tablet's? For example, can I use the Wiimote for the Rage Thunder driving game?

. Is the Wiimote alone enough to play the range of emu games, or do you need another controller attached to it?

. What's a good place to buy a Wiimote? (Sorry, I'm n00b on console stuff. Never owned any.)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:54 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

d00b wrote:
Questions:

. Is there any noticeable lag in controller response?

. Is the Wiimote's accel mappable to the tablet's? For example, can I use the Wiimote for the Rage Thunder driving game?

. Is the Wiimote alone enough to play the range of emu games, or do you need another controller attached to it?

. What's a good place to buy a Wiimote? (Sorry, I'm n00b on console stuff. Never owned any.)

There is 0 lag, everything is over bluetooth - so no worries there.

Yes, inside the WiimoteCotrollerIME settings you can map the accelerometer to work, i haven't been able to mess around with mapping the Wiimote just to the android UI

You can play with just a Wiimote controller, however, you can also plug in a Wii controller classic pro and that makes the gaming experience 100% better.

I bought a Wii last year because my girlfriend loves Wii Bowling, but your best bet is either eBay or your local used game store. I don't know how much a used Wiimote is, but i know that the Classic pro controller is $20

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:13 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

AndroidCircuit wrote:
Yes, inside the WiimoteCotrollerIME settings you can map the accelerometer to work, i haven't been able to mess around with mapping the Wiimote just to the android UI

You can play with just a Wiimote controller, however, you can also plug in a Wii controller classic pro and that makes the gaming experience 100% better.

Can you elaborate on this? Do you mean there aren't enough buttons on the Wiimote, or that the ones on the classic controller are better placed?

Also, I think I asked this before, but can you attach multiple "add-on" controller to the Wiimote? Secondly, can you pair more than one Wiimote?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:33 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

d00b wrote:
AndroidCircuit wrote:

Can you elaborate on this? Do you mean there aren't enough buttons on the Wiimote, or that the ones on the classic controller are better placed?

Also, I think I asked this before, but can you attach multiple "add-on" controller to the Wiimote? Secondly, can you pair more than one Wiimote?

That's what i was leaning towards, the regular Wiimote has 12 buttons to program but when you plug the Classic controller, it gives you an extra 31 buttons to program (including the analog sticks - 8 different directions each) So technically, there is a way to program 43 buttons.

The classic controller is easier to hold in your hands, button layout works better with every emulator, but the wiimote is still pretty good on its own but you're just holding it sideways, and not enough buttons to program all emulators.

You can't attach more than one extra controller to a Wiimote, but the application allows you to connect up to 4 wiimotes at a time (im guessing for 2p games like mortal combat and etc)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:41 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Thanks for the explanations. I think I see some WiiMotes on eBay for $15. I'll grab one along with a charger.

I'm really more interested in using the Wii as an "air mouse" for non-game uses. If you can look into that more, it'd be great.