Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:28 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous 14 5 6 7 8 Next
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:29 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Hajile_Ibushi wrote:
roebeet wrote:
PaulinVite wrote:
2 - Better video codec support
3- uPnP

Well, there's a uPnP app for the iPod Touch. But then again, since it can't read my video files anyway, it's kinda moot.

Good point - I guess the video/audio codecs and uPnp kinda mesh into one. I tried uPnP on my iPod Touch but since the codec support is so mediocre I never considered it a useful app. I'm guessing that the extended Archos codec support will allow their uPnP client to be superior. But of course this remains to be seen.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:58 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

bkgarrison wrote:
twospirits wrote:
Ok lets forget Apple for a moment, between the Archos and the Tab (on Sprint price wise and on other carriers regardless of price)

I see the following pros and cons...

Pros having the Archos:
1-Smaller, lighter, thinner
2-Cheaper in the long run to own
3-able to run every multimedia format out there
4-Pocketable (using the 70 version)
5-Adjustable kickstand (both the 70 and 101)
6-Not stuck on a 1-2 year plan tied to a carrier

Cons having the Archos:
1-No 3G or 4G service
2-Having to carry an additional device for 3G/4G service (EVO, mifi, etc)

Cons that can be fixed:
1-Access to Android market via hack
2-Android 2.1 upgraded to 2.2
3-Access to Google Apps via hack

There's probably more, but these are the ones off the top of my head. Mind you the cons (1-2) I listed above, to me, are minor, but i listed them since othres might see that as a con when compared to the Samsung Tab.

So bottom line (at least to me, unless i am missing something) the Archos is the better solution.
But you are right, due to name recognition alone (and probably a page from the Apple marketing blitzteam) the Archos will not get noticed as much as Samsung.

Now if the Archos team gets 2.2 onto the devices (as some have suggested) by mid November and before any online reviewer reviews the device then word would get out much faster, since they would actually be testing a fully functioning 2.2 enabled device as oppose to the current 2.1 that has (as some have mentioned lag, memory issue etc).

Its funny i haven't been this excited over a device that hasn't been out yet since the EVO and I really truly hope that Archos does whats right and fulfills these orders and fix any problems/shortcomings soon.

TS

I agree with you, as most on this forum will. I hope Archos wipes the floor with the Gtab. Even if the Gen8 is stellar, it still will not have the household name. I can't wait for my 101 to get here :)

LMAO!! Will, I gues even false hope is still hope. The Galaxy Tab crushes the Archos 70. Period. The only advantage the 70 has is price. But since it only has 8GB of storage vs 16 for the Tab and only 256MB of ram vs. 512 for the Tab and apparently shipping with 2.1 vs 2.2 on the Tab and has a 800x480 display vs 1024x600 display on the tab and only has wifi vs wifi and 3G on the tab..... Shall I go on? Of course it's cheaper.

I really want the Archos 70. I really do. For the price I'll take the lower stats. But it better ship with 2.2 or I will not be getting it. Period.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:25 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Real simple- if you want the device for mainly media (NOT music- Archos sound quality usually sucks) or web browser, you would be nuts not too get the 70 or 101. If you are an app fan, stay FAR away from them.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:48 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

JamesDax wrote:
bkgarrison wrote:
LMAO!! Will, I gues even false hope is still hope. The Galaxy Tab crushes the Archos 70. Period. The only advantage the 70 has is price. But since it only has 8GB of storage vs 16 for the Tab and only 256MB of ram vs. 512 for the Tab and apparently shipping with 2.1 vs 2.2 on the Tab and has a 800x480 display vs 1024x600 display on the tab and only has wifi vs wifi and 3G on the tab..... Shall I go on? Of course it's cheaper.

I really want the Archos 70. I really do. For the price I'll take the lower stats. But it better ship with 2.2 or I will not be getting it. Period.
I'll say it before anyone else does, I am flip flopping on this more than a pancake at the International House of Pancakes. :shock: :oops:

I saw a video last night of the Samsung galaxy Tab and I must say I am impressed. Smooth and has everything going for it, except for the price. Even on Sprint at $399 US, one still has to pay a monthly plan of (I think) $30 (x 24 months of the contract = $720 US.) So $720 + $399 = $1119 Yikes thats a lot of moola. But, come to think of it, thats the same for the Archos, $349 for the unit and if tethered to my Sprint EVO 4G hotspot ($30 a month) comes out to be almost the same. Only thing saving me, money wise, would be to have the archos tethered to my EVO using a hacked based Wifi Tether or pdanet and not having to pay a monthly (tether/hotspot) charge.

Now mind you, if the Galaxy Tab had come out on Sprint with 4G service in it, this conversation would never have happened, cause it would be the one I would get. But as usual the upper minds of said companies (including Archos) do not have the foresight to see and take a product to its fullest potential.

Regardless of all the flip flopping I do on what to get, I am just gonna sit back and take my own advice and wait till I actually have all units in my hand to test them and see how they feel. I figure (maybe) by November or December, B&H will have all units on hand.

TS

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:07 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

uhh guys?
Samsung just pulled their ace from their sleeve... http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/25/gala ... 99-sprint/
Addtionally it looks as if the Notion ink atom will be seen early next year.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:15 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Sonicjet wrote:
uhh guys?
Samsung just pulled their ace from their sleeve... http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/25/gala ... 99-sprint/
Addtionally it looks as if the Notion ink atom will be seen early next year.

Yeah, $500 for the wifi only model isn't to bad and matches up well against the 16GB wifi only iPad. With the right marketing people will see that with the GTab you are getting more for you money.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:21 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

twospirits wrote:
JamesDax wrote:
bkgarrison wrote:

I'll say it before anyone else does, I am flip flopping on this more than a pancake at the International House of Pancakes. :shock: :oops:

I saw a video last night of the Samsung galaxy Tab and I must say I am impressed. Smooth and has everything going for it, except for the price. Even on Sprint at $399 US, one still has to pay a monthly plan of (I think) $30 (x 24 months of the contract = $720 US.) So $720 + $399 = $1119 Yikes thats a lot of moola. But, come to think of it, thats the same for the Archos, $349 for the unit and if tethered to my Sprint EVO 4G hotspot ($30 a month) comes out to be almost the same. Only thing saving me, money wise, would be to have the archos tethered to my EVO using a hacked based Wifi Tether or pdanet and not having to pay a monthly (tether/hotspot) charge.

Now mind you, if the Galaxy Tab had come out on Sprint with 4G service in it, this conversation would never have happened, cause it would be the one I would get. But as usual the upper minds of said companies (including Archos) do not have the foresight to see and take a product to its fullest potential.

Regardless of all the flip flopping I do on what to get, I am just gonna sit back and take my own advice and wait till I actually have all units in my hand to test them and see how they feel. I figure (maybe) by November or December, B&H will have all units on hand.

TS

No need to mess with contract since you can get the wifi only version for $500.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:51 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I did not think of that. Good to know.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:11 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

twospirits wrote:
I did not think of that. Good to know.

Just wish Samsung were releasing the 16gb and 32gb versions, but that would add around $100 / $150 to each respective model. Still, I would rather have the option. Since Samsung allocates 1.5 to 2gb for device app storage, the Tabs will have about 2gb less than the "16" and 32". Media will be about 14gb and 28gb free, with all tech issues considered.

This assumes they allocated like some of the other Galaxy S devices.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:26 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

I guess that would mean that the WiFi only tab from Samsung would not have Android Market?? ... as it does not have 3G (and most likely no GPS either).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:31 am 
Archos User
Archos User

TempestDK wrote:
I guess that would mean that the WiFi only tab from Samsung would not have Android Market?? ... as it does not have 3G (and most likely no GPS either).

Samsung says it does, don't forget, archos is not one of google's major providers, samsung is.
In fact I would be willing to say that even if you met all of Google's requirements and used a resistive screen they would not let you do to the negative image it evokes.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:28 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Sonicjet wrote:
TempestDK wrote:

Samsung says it does, don't forget, archos is not one of google's major providers, samsung is.
In fact I would be willing to say that even if you met all of Google's requirements and used a resistive screen they would not let you do to the negative image it evokes.

So Google have made up a rule set to get official access to the Android Markets?? .. but they eventually decide who can get permission, no matter if they actually follow the rule set or not??

Seems more like an Apple-type of control :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:57 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

TempestDK wrote:
Sonicjet wrote:
TempestDK wrote:

So Google have made up a rule set to get official access to the Android Markets?? .. but they eventually decide who can get permission, no matter if they actually follow the rule set or not??

Seems more like an Apple-type of control :)

They only control who gets their software, they aren't stopping other companies from making their own markets. There's App Brain and App Lib.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:45 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

I know .. but these alternative markets are always going to be lacking in apps, compared to Android Market. And many are not even going to bother with devices that doesn't have official access to Markets.

John Q. Public who is looking at an Android tablet in a store somewhere, doesn't know that an easy .apk hack is available here ... he will dump and Archos and get a GT that does have access immediately.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:48 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

After thinking about it more, I do not think the wifi only version of GTab will have GPS. Have yet to see anything that says it does and perhaps the "Wifi Only" should be taken literally.

Also, it is obvious they gutted the built-in memory to get the price point down to $500 and not "show-up" the US phone carrier versions that have no built-in space. Europe is getting the better features (16gb & 32gb), but also paying for them.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:55 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hajile_Ibushi wrote:
They only control who gets their software, they aren't stopping other companies from making their own markets. There's App Brain and App Lib.
Correct me if I am wrong, but AppBrain is not a separate market, but rather a supplemental search and categorization tool for the user to search the Android Marketplace. AppsLib is.

In their own words its the following...
"AppBrain is a website for discovering Android apps. In addition to providing search and browse functionality, users of Android phones can download the apps they chose by simply clicking an install button on the site. Appbrain then stores the application in an application wishlist. A companion native android app then lets the user efficiently make all the desired changes on the phone."

Now Applib on the other hand (if i am not mistaken) is a application marketplace collaborated and created by both Archos and Google to display applications that can be used on tablets properly. (Since tablets by their nature have screens of 5" or higher. and apps made for a cell phone might not render properly on a larger screen.)

TS

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:06 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

twospirits wrote:
Hajile_Ibushi wrote:
Correct me if I am wrong, but AppBrain is not a separate market, but rather a supplemental search and categorization tool for the user to search the Android Marketplace. AppsLib is.

In their own words its the following...
"AppBrain is a website for discovering Android apps. In addition to providing search and browse functionality, users of Android phones can download the apps they chose by simply clicking an install button on the site. Appbrain then stores the application in an application wishlist. A companion native android app then lets the user efficiently make all the desired changes on the phone."

Now Applib on the other hand (if i am not mistaken) is a application marketplace collaborated and created by both Archos and Google to display applications that can be used on tablets properly. (Since tablets by their nature have screens of 5" or higher. and apps made for a cell phone might not render properly on a larger screen.)

TS

I think applib usues the actual market app data to sync up. It does not know if apps are on your device unless you sync to the actual market app. At least that is how it works for me. You have to download the applib downloader app in order to download apps using applib.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:01 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

@Charbax
Thanks for the reviews, awesome job as usual.

Can you please check one thing for me, I'm just moments away from buying one :D
Does the browser display Arabic characters correctly? or u'll get those weird squares instead?
u can test this site for example: http://www.alarabiya.net/default.html

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:39 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

ciiiz wrote:
@Charbax
Thanks for the reviews, awesome job as usual.

Can you please check one thing for me, I'm just moments away from buying one :D
Does the browser display Arabic characters correctly? or u'll get those weird squares instead?
u can test this site for example: http://www.alarabiya.net/default.html

Yeah all languages work, it's Android.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:31 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Ominous wrote:
If you can't find capacitive stylus I sow a DIY version made of that protective bags for electronic parts, like hard drives, motherboards... just cat a small part and roll it, tape it and test it.
There are those protective foam for electronic parts, stick it as a tip of regular pen... check it out here or google it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YE8rGuLCtU&feature=player_embedded

That one is ugly build but you can use metal pencil and avoid that wire part...

Not that ugly! I just might that a try ....

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous 14 5 6 7 8 Next