Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:55 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous 14 5 6 7 8 Next
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:50 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I want to replace my netbook with a Archos 101. There is just one thing holding me back from buying it, the .mkv playback. I have a crapload of 720p movies on my network hdd and I would love to be able to stream those. I just wonder how it performs when the bitrate exceeds 6mb :) Oh and Charbax, keep up the good work :D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:12 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I'm curious, does Archos even read these forums? They should in my opinion, but alot of very good suggestions and yet it seems they are not listening to their customers? Its a shame cause it seems like a great product.

TS

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:17 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Well, this is a third-party, unaffiliated personally administered forum.

It is like going to Amazon and wondering if the authors read your reviews. Maybe; maybe not.

I consider it good info for people who are evaluating a buying decision, however.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:07 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Archos does read these forums, and were more active in them before all the pressured release of the new devices.

I am sure they will return when things calm down a little.

It's amazing how many new members the gen 8 has brought, including me

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:01 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Ominous wrote:
JamesDax wrote:
Samsung Galaxy Tab
eLocity A7
Norton Ink Adam
Advent Vega
Viewsonic G Tablet
Toshiba Folio 100

Samsung Galaxy Tab
Quote:
$600
+ contract? http://newsbriefonline.com/verizon-backs-up-600-galaxy-tab-price-but-is-it-a-lost-cause-purchase-samsung/01235035

eLocity A7
Quote:
$369.99
http://www.amazon.com/eLocity-Touchscreen-7-Inch-Android-Tablet/dp/B003Z6QH5S/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1284054278&sr=1-1

Norton Ink Adam
Quote:
Pricing remains a mystery
http://blog.laptopmag.com/hands-on-with-notion-ink-adam-prototype-its-amazing#axzz13JLjyq8l

Advent Vega
Quote:
£249.99
~ $391 http://androidcommunity.com/advent-vega-tablet-hands-on-video-20101013/

Viewsonic G Tablet
Quote:
$429
http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/16/viewsonic-outs-10-inch-g-tablet-android-2-2-nvidia-tegra-2-on/

Toshiba Folio 100
Quote:
Ôé¼399
~ $555 http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/02/toshiba-folio-100-preview/

Can someone with straight face compare A70/101 with their price tags and specification to these devices? What are we talking about here? You get how much you pay for it.

Tab is the main competition and will be $500 for non contract, wifi only version. In spite of no comparable built in media flash, this device is going to crush the 70 & 101 due the following reasons:

Has a LOT more app space: Seven times more.

True non hacked market access.

GPS

Far more channel support

Has 2.2 now, with no wait and Gen 8 will have even less app storage when it does release.

512mb ram

Comparative reviews will be rough on the 70 & 101 due to no true market support, no 2.2, 256mb ram, no gps and very low app space.

Other than biased folks in this forum, the Galaxy Tab will be the second best selling tablet, behind iPad.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:46 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

O was still hoping that the Archos will give the Samsung Galaxy Tab a run for its money, especially with the 600+ price but now I read that Sprint Announces the Samsung Galaxy Tab for November 14 Launch at $399 on a Two-Year Contract http://bit.ly/a2moKO. That puts a wrinkle in my price debate.
TS

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:58 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

not really.... unless you want a data plan... that's an additional cost every month for 24 months.
i'll stick to tethering and not cost me anymore than what i'm already paying

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:39 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

twospirits wrote:
O was still hoping that the Archos will give the Samsung Galaxy Tab a run for its money, especially with the 600+ price but now I read that Sprint Announces the Samsung Galaxy Tab for November 14 Launch at $399 on a Two-Year Contract http://bit.ly/a2moKO. That puts a wrinkle in my price debate.
TS

The Galaxy Tab will Kill Archos if by nothing else than name recognition.

Archos is a rather big name in the techie realm, but ask anybody that doesn't surf gadget blogs, they will all know Samsung, but none of them will know Archos.

And yes, the monthly fee is exorbitant and ridiculous, a lot of consumers wont care. They will see $400 for this Ipad "killer" and will jump at it I think.

so the game right now will be
1. Apple
2. Samsung
3-10 archos and everybody else

just imho

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:01 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Non contract wifi only version of Tab is $500, not $600.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:15 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Ok lets forget Apple for a moment, between the Archos and the Tab (on Sprint price wise and on other carriers regardless of price)

I see the following pros and cons...

Pros having the Archos:
1-Smaller, lighter, thinner, sturdy frame
2-Cheaper in the long run to own
3-able to run every multimedia format out there
4-Pocketable (using the 70 version)
5-Adjustable kickstand (both the 70 and 101)
6-Not stuck on a 1-2 year plan tied to a carrier
7-Able to make device 3G/4G capable using external mifi/hotspot

Cons having the Archos:
1-No (internal) 3G or 4G service
2-Having to carry an additional device for 3G/4G service (EVO, mifi, etc)
3-Unable to call like a cell phone

Fixable Cons:
1-Access to Android market via hack
2-Android 2.1 upgraded to 2.2
3-Access to Google Apps via hack
4-Phone calling using 3rd party apps like Skype

There's probably more, but these are the ones off the top of my head. Mind you the cons (1-2) I listed above, to me, are minor, but i listed them since others might see that as a con when compared to the Samsung Tab.

So bottom line (at least to me, unless I am missing something) the Archos is the better solution.
But you are right, due to name recognition alone (and probably a page from the Apple marketing blitzteam) the Archos will not get noticed as much as Samsung.

Now if the Archos team gets 2.2 onto the devices (as some have suggested) by mid November and before any online reviewer reviews the device then word would get out much faster, since they would actually be testing a fully functioning 2.2 enabled device as oppose to the current 2.1 that has (as some have mentioned lag, memory issue etc).

Its funny i haven't been this excited over a device that hasn't been out yet since the EVO and I really truly hope that Archos does whats right and fulfills these orders and fix any problems/shortcomings soon.

Edit: added Pro #7, Pro #1, "internal" to Con #1, added Con #3 and Fixable Con #4

TS

Last edited by twospirits on Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:33 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

twospirits wrote:
Ok lets forget Apple for a moment, between the Archos and the Tab (on Sprint price wise and on other carriers regardless of price)

Pros having the Archos:
1-Smaller, lighter, thinner

Cons having the Archos:
1-No 3G or 4G service

Cons that can be fixed:

There's probably more, but these are the ones off the top of my head. Mind you the cons (1-2) I listed above, to me, are minor, but i listed them since othres might see that as a con when compared to the Samsung Tab.

So bottom line (at least to me, unless i am missing something) the Archos is the better solution.
But you are right, due to name recognition alone (and probably a page from the Apple marketing blitzteam) the Archos will not get noticed as much as Samsung.

Now if the Archos team gets 2.2 onto the devices (as some have suggested) by mid November and before any online reviewer reviews the device then word would get out much faster, since they would actually be testing a fully functioning 2.2 enabled device as oppose to the current 2.1 that has (as some have mentioned lag, memory issue etc).

Its funny i haven't been this excited over a device that hasn't been out yet since the EVO and I really truly hope that Archos does whats right and fulfills these orders and fix any problems/shortcomings soon.

TS

I agree with you, as most on this forum will. I hope Archos wipes the floor with the Gtab. Even if the Gen8 is stellar, it still will not have the household name. I can't wait for my 101 to get here :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:48 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

That is a really excellent list of +/-s.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:49 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

There is one thing that I forgot to add. here in the states, Sprint was pushing out a commercial showing how an iPhone/ipad can run/have faster service by connecting it to a Sprint 4G device (Overdrive 3G/4G, EVO hotspot)
In theory (since I do not have an Archos yet), one can connect the Archos device to either a Overdrive 4G mifi or the EVO 4G and have a Archos 4G enabled tablet. =D> so again the Archos wins. :D

I think I'll stop now, with each and every post I am sounding more and more fanboyish. (Damn you Archos for making me this way.) :D

Edit: Just realized that the software for my 3G/4G modem needs Windows to install. There isn't a Android install so that 3G/4G device is out of the question, that leads to only using the EVO with pdanet to get the Archos tablet into a 4G device.

TS

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:18 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

twospirits wrote:
There is one thing that I forgot to add. here in the states, Sprint was pushing out a commercial showing how an iPhone/ipad can run/have faster service by connecting it to a Sprint 4G device (Overdrive 3G/4G, EVO hotspot)
In theory (since I do not have an Archos yet), one can connect the Archos device to either a Overdrive 4G mifi or the EVO 4G and have a Archos 4G enabled tablet. =D> so again the Archos wins. :D

I think I'll stop now, with each and every post I am sounding more and more fanboyish. (Damn you Archos for making me this way.) :D

TS

isn't a myfi pretty much a wifi hotspot? you should be able to connect to it. the software i think may be just for configuration of the myfi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:25 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

twospirits wrote:

Pros having the Archos:
1-Smaller, lighter, thinner, sturdy frame
7-Able to make device 3G/4G capable using external mifi/hotspot

Cons having the Archos:
1-No (internal) 3G or 4G service
3-Unable to call like a cell phone

Fixable Cons:
4-Phone calling using 3rd party apps like Skype

There's probably more, but these are the ones off the top of my head. Mind you the cons (1-2) I listed above, to me, are minor, but i listed them since others might see that as a con when compared to the Samsung Tab.

So bottom line (at least to me, unless I am missing something) the Archos is the better solution.

Edit: added Pro #7, Pro #1, "internal" to Con #1, added Con #3 and Fixable Con #4

TS

Problem is you and I are geeks and see that stuff. Most consumers do not and will see more marketing for the Tab, decent price point and almost a 100% chance the 70 & 101 will get slammed in comparative reviews due to 256ram, 2.1 and no GPS. It does not matter 2.2 is coming, it matters what most media reviews get (2.1). Virtually none will do followup reviews, due in part to the 256mb ram and that being assumed as the key bottleneck.

Not seeing the point about contracts since wifi only version is $500. Considering it has twice the ram, seven times more app space, GPS, 2.2 now with no mystery how they will map it, better sound quality and better/ higher res screen than the 70- seems $500 is a good price.

Last edited by rushmore on Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:32 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Well I have cancelled my Amazon order for my 101, and my impulse order direct from Archos after it appeared as available on their site. I wish all of you lots of fun with your new toys.
I now realise that any tablet at the moment would be a compromise and lacking in operation and performance against my HTC Desire.
I now after much research think that as google have said all along Android builds up to 2.2 are not viable for a tablet. I have a netbook that gives me 8 hrs running win 7 that will do untill a tablet appears that can touch the UI of the IPAD.
Don┬┤t get me wrong, I have been on board with Android since day one. But put a 101 against an Ipad, there is no comparison.
I am not knocking the Archos 101, but they have blown it in my opinion, off course this is an Archos dedicated forum, so most of the fan boys or girls on here will bleat forever the virtues of Archos.
Had Archos had the for sight to make their product good enough for froyo let alone Gingerbread they would be OK.
Its Ok bleating that 2.2 needs less RAM but as independent posters such as rushmore have pointed out there are no smart phones out there sprting 256mb of RAM and Froyo.
From what I have read on here most of you will use your tablets for different reasons.
I cannot see any point in watching any movie on a 10 inch screen unless I am on a trip, I don┬┤t need the market as a necessity, or store loads of media files, as I have a 1TB hdd hooked up to my TV.
Ok its a cheep product but if the IPAD had flash support there would be no competition for what the majority of us would use this for. IMO andoid phones now are superior to Iphone, but until the near future tablets with Android are beta.
The sad thing is that Archos have every thing right, updates backup, support etc.
Just a devices crippled by lack of App space, ROM, but most of all the chance to become brilliant with future updates due to its restrictions.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:48 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

PaulinVite wrote:
Well I have cancelled my Amazon order for my 101, and my impulse order direct from Archos after it appeared as available on their site. I wish all of you lots of fun with your new toys.
I now realise that any tablet at the moment would be a compromise and lacking in operation and performance against my HTC Desire.
I now after much research think that as google have said all along Android builds up to 2.2 are not viable for a tablet. I have a netbook that gives me 8 hrs running win 7 that will do untill a tablet appears that can touch the UI of the IPAD.
Don┬┤t get me wrong, I have been on board with Android since day one. But put a 101 against an Ipad, there is no comparison.
I am not knocking the Archos 101, but they have blown it in my opinion, off course this is an Archos dedicated forum, so most of the fan boys or girls on here will bleat forever the virtues of Archos.
Had Archos had the for sight to make their product good enough for froyo let alone Gingerbread they would be OK.
Its Ok bleating that 2.2 needs less RAM but as independent posters such as rushmore have pointed out there are no smart phones out there sprting 256mb of RAM and Froyo.
From what I have read on here most of you will use your tablets for different reasons.
I cannot see any point in watching any movie on a 10 inch screen unless I am on a trip, I don┬┤t need the market as a necessity, or store loads of media files, as I have a 1TB hdd hooked up to my TV.
Ok its a cheep product but if the IPAD had flash support there would be no competition for what the majority of us would use this for. IMO andoid phones now are superior to Iphone, but until the near future tablets with Android are beta.
The sad thing is that Archos have every thing right, updates backup, support etc.
Just a devices crippled by lack of App space, ROM, but most of all the chance to become brilliant with future updates due to its restrictions.

I already have a loaded M11X, but want the 101 for web and comic viewing. I can load a bunch of cbr files and lot of game roms too, on the 16gb internal. Will not bother with music, since Archos sound quality has consistently sucked now, for over four years due to poor gain management with the sound cap. The 3630 uses the same week audio as the older 3430. Also uses the same older gpu, contrary to assertions in other threads. Though not a bad gpu, it is a few years old.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:43 am 
Archos User
Archos User

PaulinVite wrote:

First off, I am not an Archos fan - I own zero Archos devices, but I do own an iMac, I run MacOS on two other systems and I own two iPod Touches. So I guess that makes me more of an Apple fan.

With that in mind, I don't agree with you (yet). On paper, the 101 beats the v1 iPad. I will explain why:

1- Better audio codec support
2 - Better video codec support
3- uPnP
4- USB ports, with the ability to use external devices for storage
5- HDMI
6- MicroSD slot
7- Webcam
8 -PRICE. Seriously, this is a major factor and should not be discounted

You forget that the iPad is a gen1 product, riding off the coattails of the iPod Touch / iPhone. It's not "magical", it's marketed well. It also has 256MB of RAM, keep in mind. And anyone semi-technical can get the Marketplace up and running fairly quickly on the 101, so apps are not an issue imo. Think of it as similar to jailbreaking an iPad.

The iPad has market clout so points there for Apple, and the audio output might be superior (remains to be seen). But it's so closed that I would never consider buying it. I love MacOS, but the iPad is just a mystery to me - I don't understand why anyone would buy that closed piece of carp.

And notice that I haven't even mentioned Flash - AFAIC, until 2.2 is released on the Archos and Flash is confirmed working, I will judge it against the iPad on its current capabilities.

Last edited by roebeet on Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:03 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

roebeet wrote:
riding off the coattails of the iPod Touch / iPad. It's not "magical", it's marketed well. It also has 256MB of RAM

Yup both iPad and iPod Touch 4 have 256MB RAM as well, people don't seem to be complaining about "low ram" on those apple devices. Good use of RAM resources is all done in software, and I believe starting with Android 2.2 the RAM management is excellent in Android OS.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:09 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

roebeet wrote:
PaulinVite wrote:
2 - Better video codec support
3- uPnP

Well, there's a uPnP app for the iPod Touch. But then again, since it can't read my video files anyway, it's kinda moot.

roebeet wrote:
8 -PRICE. Seriously, this is a major factor and should not be discounted

I'm not quite sure what the retail price here is since i only look up on the personal and underground markets. But the Galaxy Tab is priced at over $800.00 (You guys got it cheap, but the rest of us are still paying it full price), and people are still commenting that it's priced very competitively against the iPad, so i guess the retail iPad is also through the roof. As reference, the iPhone4 is priced at $1,000.00+ carrier locked.

At $460, the A101 16Gig is a steal.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous 14 5 6 7 8 Next