Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:59 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 7 Next
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:18 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Charbax can you download floating image from the Market, its a beautiful app to show the 3D OpenGL performance, its a great app with pinch and zoom, and four way screen rotation, proves how fluid all Android could be.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:38 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

give Charbax a break, all of these questions put together are gonna take ages!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:04 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Hi Charbax,

Had to register here to say that your review is great.

1. Do you know if the regular USB Keyboard & Mouse work on these devices?
2. Is there a way that you can confirm the release date on the 70 & 101 devices.

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:34 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

cyberdrakula wrote:
Hi Charbax,

2. Is there a way that you can confirm the release date on the 70 & 101 devices.

Thanks

I don't have one yet :( but yes a USB keyboard/mouse should work. And November 1st seems like the day!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:54 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

guitarplayer1950 wrote:
I don't have one yet :( but yes a USB keyboard/mouse should work. And November 1st seems like the day!

I am going to buy both the 70 & 101. They are going to be my first Archos purchases. With phones I buy only HTC.

A couple questions
=======================
1. How often does Archos rollout updates?
2. How is the development community?
3. I assume this the best place for information on Archos. Am I correct in that assumption?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:48 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Yes cyberdrakula,

You are correct :D

As to the rest of your questions, well, I leave that to someone else

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:25 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I mainly want to know how well the comic reader works.
ACV comic viewer is the one I'm looking at.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:26 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

guitarplayer1950 wrote:
cyberdrakula wrote:
Hi Charbax,

Thanks

hey im new here, but i have been reading these posts and have found this PDF
http://www.archos.com/support/download/ ... eet_en.pdf
and at the bottom of page 3 it says that the 70 has support for an optional keyboard and mouse.
but whether that is a specific keyboard and mouse from archos or if it can be any keyboard/mouse combination, it doesnt specify.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:37 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

First post!

I paid full price for the 101 tablet when they went on pre-order. Anxiously awaiting the release date.

If you change the numbers in the above link, you get the spec sheet for the 101:
http://www.archos.com/support/download/ ... eet_en.pdf

That document also shows the wireless Archos keyboard. I would assume (and could very well be wrong) that they connect via Bluetooth. I hope so, because I have one of the gorgeous thin aluminum Apple BT keyboards, and would like to use that one.

This was a fun video to see the real-world performance of the 7" tablet, and predict what the 101 will be like.

I tested a Sprint/HTC Evo 4G and a Samsung Captivate, for a month each. So, I feel comfortable with what 2.1 and 2.2 bring to the table (I also upgraded a Nexus One to the Cyanogen FroYo 2.2, and saw its speed jump). I think these tablets will definitely be worth the price of admission.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:15 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

viking wrote:
Metric is the religion of Europe, and was mostly born in France. mm almost has to be the primary measurements, and inches were just sloppily calculated. Otherwise the a70hdd wouldn't be a fat pig, and that would be too good luck to be true :|

Religion of Europe? It the best measurement system, that is why it is used in science all over the world. Definitely more logical than something measured by Roman soldier's foot. :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:45 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Ok, so I am more than likely getting one.. but can't decide on which 101. 8gig, or 16gig... ? any thoughts?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:09 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Great review!!! can't wait for the A101 to be released

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:41 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

norm807 wrote:
Ok, so I am more than likely getting one.. but can't decide on which 101. 8gig, or 16gig... ? any thoughts?

I went for the 16GB, I can always leave 8GB free, but after I buy it I cannot add another 8Gb of internal storage

besides, my iphone is 16Gb and it seems to be just the right size.

for $50 you could get 1 class 6 16GB uSD card or 2 class 2 16gb Cards, but for me it is worth it to get it built in.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:30 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

bkgarrison wrote:
norm807 wrote:

I went for the 16GB, I can always leave 8GB free, but after I buy it I cannot add another 8Gb of internal storage

besides, my iphone is 16Gb and it seems to be just the right size.

for $50 you could get 1 class 6 16GB uSD card or 2 class 2 16gb Cards, but for me it is worth it to get it built in.

Not to mention you can add up to a 32gb micro sd. Can not do that with iPad.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:47 am 

terre08 wrote:
viking wrote:
Metric is the religion of Europe, and was mostly born in France. mm almost has to be the primary measurements, and inches were just sloppily calculated. Otherwise the a70hdd wouldn't be a fat pig, and that would be too good luck to be true :|

Religion of Europe? It the best measurement system, that is why it is used in science all over the world. Definitely more logical than something measured by Roman soldier's foot. :)

What I should have disputed was the guy saying 0.43 inches was more precise than 10 mm for a70flash thickness, and thus more accurate and thus more fat. But more digits don't make a figure more precise IF they are just to hold a decimal place. 10 is more precise than 0.0001.

So given those numbers (which Archos converted wrong) we cannot accept the inch number, either due to precision or in spite of love-of-metric. Therefore the hdd version of a70 must be a pig-like 40% thicker based on mm instead of the small amount implied by Archos inch figures.

DIGRESSON WARNING:

Metric system combines a good and bad approach. Divisible by 10 is great, but the base units are silly and fail to be approximated by some commonly accesible reference, like finger width for inches or the obvious foot. Nice to hold up your fingers to imagine a screen size. The arbitrary kilogram is mysteriously changing weight in a Paris lockup (and is possibly going to be redefined in 2011!). Kilogram is anyway silly heavy (or a gram light) for pricing daily food portions at a market.

The Gen8 convention of screen sizes being measured in tenths of an inch (deci-inch) combines the advantage of inches with metric. Meters have anyway lost their original reason for existence in being an even fraction of the earths circumference. The advent of GPS has highlighted that earth has NO fixed circumference, but when covered by calm water is more like a golf ball with random dimples and bumps. This is due to gravitational variations from different density rock underneath. If you flew an airplane over calm ocean at 1 meter GPS altitude, you would crash into water since earth is neither round nor an oblate spheroid nor any predictable geometry that the meter-inventors can measure (or that GPS satellites can assume).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:09 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Test for this too please.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVlsRCMltDg

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:40 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

viking wrote:
terre08 wrote:
viking wrote:

What I should have disputed was the guy saying 0.43 inches was more precise than 10 mm for a70flash thickness, and thus more accurate and thus more fat. But more digits don't make a figure more precise IF they are just to hold a decimal place. 10 is more precise than 0.0001.

So given those numbers (which Archos converted wrong) we cannot accept the inch number, either due to precision or in spite of love-of-metric. Therefore the hdd version of a70 must be a pig-like 40% thicker based on mm instead of the small amount implied by Archos inch figures.

DIGRESSON WARNING:

Metric system combines a good and bad approach. Divisible by 10 is great, but the base units are silly and fail to be approximated by some commonly accesible reference, like finger width for inches or the obvious foot. Nice to hold up your fingers to imagine a screen size. The arbitrary kilogram is mysteriously changing weight in a Paris lockup (and is possibly going to be redefined in 2011!). Kilogram is anyway silly heavy (or a gram light) for pricing daily food portions at a market.

The Gen8 convention of screen sizes being measured in tenths of an inch (deci-inch) combines the advantage of inches with metric. Meters have anyway lost their original reason for existence in being an even fraction of the earths circumference. The advent of GPS has highlighted that earth has NO fixed circumference, but when covered by calm water is more like a golf ball with random dimples and bumps. This is due to gravitational variations from different density rock underneath. If you flew an airplane over calm ocean at 1 meter GPS altitude, you would crash into water since earth is neither round nor an oblate spheroid nor any predictable geometry that the meter-inventors can measure (or that GPS satellites can assume).

Well, had the English and French been nicer to each other, perhaps the metric system would not be a problem today?

Inches and ounces baby! ;)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:22 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

What is Achos strategy? Sometimes I'm impressed with Archos's logic, and sometimes it is questionable... so there are still some question marks about the 70 and 101's 720p playback, (high profile, reference frames, bitrate etc). And then what's this? The new 5inch player on the news page touts 1080p. I mean, I don't know if this is more for AVI files, than MKV, but 1080p on such a small screen? Is there any point? I for one would much rather 1080p be offered by the 70 and 101 tablets..

I don't know for sure, but if these new smaller tablets are using faster processors, doesn't this show some bad planning/foresight from Archos's side? I'm not trying to talk bad about them but when I see a video showing the galaxy tab playing a 1080p mkv file (note: 2-channel audio only); a device on which they could easily have locked-down the codec support in favour of selling people next-day downloads via the tab's online shop, it's kind of disappointing. It just seems a bit upside-down that the machines which are said to be dedicated video playback champs can be outdone by other, more mainstream and broad-focus tablets.

reference:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LqoBYDzEjI

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:40 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Could you get a facebook app to work (like farmville or that other ridiculous one about frontiers).
Not for me but for my wife.....

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:54 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

staran wrote:
Could you get a facebook app to work (like farmville or that other ridiculous one about frontiers).
Not for me but for my wife.....

Those are Flash games. In my dark past I played farmville...

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 7 Next