Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:08 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:04 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

FLKHEISER wrote:
CyberDrakula They stopped all new pre-orders after finding out the 15th release date was not going to be met

I doubt they will open pre-orders up again until there second shipment

Tiger Direct has them for pre-order now but i got the archos 101 16gb for 351 with 2day shipping
There was a sale and a coupon code when i ordered !

Sorry

Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:20 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

ahhhh.......... so thats it for the videos by Charbax?
kind of a tease IMO.....
has any other reviewers been sent pre release copies of the 70 for review ie Liputing?

interested blurb over at Liliputing regarding tablet availability..."CTL says the problem isnÔÇÖt company size or purchasing ability, but the short supply of 10ÔÇ│ multitouch capacitive displays."
I wonder how this is affecting ARCHOS ability to sell 101s??

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:39 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Charbax wrote:
SkEvol wrote:
when I see a video showing the galaxy tab playing a 1080p mkv file (note: 2-channel audio only)

Samsung's 1080p is pretty much useless, probably does not support high profile high bitrate h264 in mkv, and DTS and AC3 audio does not work (present in about 60% of MKVs), thus very few if no 1080p files at all will play on Samsung Tab among those that people can download online.

SkEvol wrote:
what's this? The new 5inch player on the news page touts 1080p. I mean, I don't know if this is more for AVI files, than MKV, but 1080p on such a small screen? Is there any point? I for one would much rather 1080p be offered by the 70 and 101 tablets..

I don't know for sure, but if these new smaller tablets are using faster processors, doesn't this show some bad planning/foresight from Archos's side?

To be honest, the 1080p on Archos 35 and 50 Vision is probably of the same type as Samsung Galaxy Tab, will probably not support high profile, high bitrate h264 in mkv, thus also kind of meaningless for 1080p. But on Archos 35/50 Vision, the 720p MKV high profile h264 support is probably pretty decent.

And you know all this because... you've extensively tested the Galaxy Tab?
With all respect what you're saying is mostly speculation, a lot of 'probably's'. I think its good that you're so into the archos products but there is a lot of bias here. If you're so adamant about the 70 and 101's video performance why don't you show us a video of it playing HP, high bitrate h264 mkv in 720p?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:39 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Should have another Review either tonight or Tomorrow Charbax Tested RDP!!! Tested Fring!! and im sure others wait for
Official update from CharBax with upload time

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:58 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I posted part 2 of my video review: http://archosfans.com/2010/10/19/review ... et-part-2/

Testing some cool features, Dolphin Browser HD multi-tabs, video-chatting, RDP, Angry Birds and Burning Tires, I just did a 37 minute VOIP call using SIP on Fring and using my $8/month 1GB/month SIM card in my Huawei Mifi and it works pretty much perfectly. For some reason audio in Skype and in Fring video-chat is still buggy, but I am sure Archos will fix this in a firmware update imminently. Also see my part 1 of this video review.

pascanu wrote:
- can you please install Dolphin Browser HD and do some tests?
* Menu -> Settings -> User Agent : iPad
* then visit the Gmail mobile site; does it display like on the iPad? http://a.fsdn.com/gc/wp-content/uploads ... 80x392.png

* Settings -> Full screen mode
* load some tabs, wait for them to fully load, pull down from the top of the page (like pulling the notification bar which is not visible); you should see all your tabs loaded; how smooth is it?

TIA.

Thanks for suggesting this, this is in the start of my new video. Dolphin Browser HD seems to be very impressive! I love navigating between tabs with the volume buttons, pure awesomeness. Archos needs to provide full full screen mode, hiding the android buttons behind a short power button press or something.

pascanu wrote:
Hajile_Ibushi wrote:
RDP = Does android RDP allow 1:1 screen emulation with windows RDP? Does it pass multitouch controls to windows 7? Does it allow real time video streaming over the RDP (Win7->Win7 video/audio is perfectly synced and runs at full FPS even when in full screen). Essentially, i'm asking if i can use this tablet as a dumb terminal.

There are several very good RDP and VNC clients for android. The best I've come across is PhoneMyPc which does an excelent job at streaming live video but unfortunately it doesn't have support for sound (it's been promised for very long, hasn't happened yet).

RDP: http://www.cyrket.com/search?q=rdp&market=android
VNC: http://www.cyrket.com/search?market=android&q=vnc

Not sure if I tried the best RDP apps. I tried Remote RDP Lite and Wyse PocketCloud, couldn't get them to work perfectly, they work, but just not the right screen res or something, but it may be customizable in settings. Also in the video I remote desktop with Kyle on the other side of the planet, not best thing for showcasing this.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:28 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Thanks Charbax!

I am glad that the RDP works. It might need some more tweaking and the Lag is probably the upload speed at the both points. I use RDP everyday and have good upload speeds @ work and home for the purpose. I will definitely try it out and maybe report back to you on the RDP.

Your reviews have truly been helpful and insightful.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:13 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Charbax wrote:
I posted part 2 of my video review: http://archosfans.com/2010/10/19/review ... et-part-2/

Thank you! This tablet is looking better and better with every video that you post. Dolphin HD looks like a pleasure to use on a large screen.
Charbax, please keep those videos coming!

Regarding VoIP and RDP: I am pretty sure it's your internet connection to blame.
Please run tests at http://www.speedtest.net AND http://www.pingtest.net (you can run them on the tablet) and post your results. I guess you were doing tests over 3G (using the MiFi) and those tend to have very long ping time and latency, which shows in both VoIP and remote access applications, or any other real time internet applications. If your connection is slow no FW update or software can compensate for that.

You mentioned in an earlier post that you experienced some FC. Now that you have installed a lot of apps and used it for extended period of time: how often do these occur? Does it affect your user experience? And please post your first impressions regarding battery life! Do you need to recharge it during the day?

P.S. You suck at Angry Birds :badgrin:
I know I shouldn't have said that because now you're gonna play even more and post fewer videos but couldn't resist :evil:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:19 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Yeah, that lag on RDP is due to MiFi or low upload speeds. In the local network with better upload speed it would be probably better. Same goes for VoIP, but that could be a problem in app too. Anyways Charbax doesn't have retail build of device or firmware, hope updates would fix some of the problems. Overall device it self performs good as far as we can see it on those videos.

It is expected to see some crashes since Charbax is driving a bunch of apps that are not even designed or optimized for use on tablet device.

Tnx for sharing those videos Charbax!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:25 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Could someone please clarify specs of available memory in the Archos 70 ?

Ram: 256mb
Rom: ?????
Internal SD memory: 8gb
Memory available for Apps installation: ??????

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:17 am 
Archos User
Archos User

rom : android 2.1 atm
free storage : 6.94 gb by default
apps store : 299 mb by default

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:25 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Why oh Why can't I find a video Player that will play m4v or mp4 streaming from web that works on Archos 70 Internet Tablet???

Please Help!!! :cry: [size=150]
[/size]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:59 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

pascanu wrote:
Charbax wrote:

I am pretty sure it's your internet connection to blame.
Please run tests at http://www.speedtest.net AND http://www.pingtest.net (you can run them on the tablet) and post your results.

here is my ping test result. i got it from here http://www.whoisxy.com/
Pinging cooltamil.com [64.64.4.118] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 64.64.4.118: bytes=32 time=51ms TTL=52
Reply from 64.64.4.118: bytes=32 time=53ms TTL=52
Ping statistics for 64.64.4.118:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 51ms, Maximum = 53ms, Average = 51ms