Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:22 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:23 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I tried for two days to get the Archos 32 into host mode to no avail. Came to find out that there's nothing you need to do in order to get the device into host mode. That was not explained nowhere in manual nor did I see that in this forum (may be it's mentioned somewhere but just too much info to read). I started searching the internet and this forum and the all discussion about Micro B or A made now much sense to me.
I thought I should shed some light and let others benefit from my research.

1. There's no setting to turn on in order to get gen 8 devices into Host mode. It's all activated automatically once you insert the proper cable.
In my case all the combination of cable I was trying were not the right one...I tried quite a few: gender changes, ....

2. I know it's been said over and over but until you experience it you may not grab what people are saying: you need a Micro A male on one end to standard Type A receptacle (female) on the other end. Only the plug with Micro A will activate the host mode for you on an a true OTG USB device(like Nokai 810). That's the role of the PIN ID.

3. You may and I will try this (See below comments) also try and Micro A male to Micro AB female cable adapter or cable. This will allow you to use another micro b or micro A (if you have one) device as a slave - like another gen8 product which take the micro cable. This not the prefered adaptor. Not very easy to use. I order it since it was a little cheaper and just that I can play with it.

4. Archos does not sell the micro A cable or adapter in the US. Which for me it's a little stupid since they are selling gen 8 device and have been selling A7HT for a long time. You can find it on the Archos UK site.
5. Here's where I hope to help. I spent hours of searching these forum and the internet, trying to find an US supplier of the cable so that I can get the cable quicker. Nothing in my local city of Dallas, TX turned out to have the cable. Not surprising. But very surprising: even on the internet this was hard to find. I did not want to order from Hong Kong since I want the cable quickly. Finally I nailed down these two US vendors:
I have ordered from both. The first vendor cable was already reported working from the A7HT forums. The adapter may be new but I feel it will work.

Cable from digikey: One of them have the cable Micro A to Standard A female. About $10

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSea ... nt_id=5042

Adapter...Note adapter micro A to female Micro AB(like the usb port on Gen 8 devices) About $5. Micro A to Female Micro AB (to be used with either a micro B or micro A cable....Have a bunch of micro B male cable which can be used. This adapter will not work with a Standard Type A male which is way too big big--to fit in. So Hdd usb cable won't work here you will have to change change the cable into a micro b or a male thru a gender change connector.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002QW ... ss_product

Thank you!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:04 am 

I may wait a few years for the simpler solution, which is to host a device that natively mates to the micro usb. I have laready seen them for sale at insane prices (I think) but this may come way down in the long period that I hope an a70 serves me.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:13 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I think Nokia CA-157 is the right chioce.

Last edited by vrb on Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:49 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

forgive me if i read it wrong. but are you saying that the archos gen8 hardware doesnt ship with a usb host cable??!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:18 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

gibbon wrote:
forgive me if i read it wrong. but are you saying that the archos gen8 hardware doesnt ship with a usb host cable??!

No, not at all what I was posting about. There's a USB cable included to use gen 8 as a slave to a computer and moving data & synching.

We talking about for a cable or adapter needed to connect any other device as slave to Archos gen 8. (Host mode) thus your archos will act like a computer.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:54 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

So this would be if say you wanted to hook up an external harddrive to your Archos or I was wondering if I hook up my camera and download pictures when traveling. Other things I could see would be hooking up a USB thumb drive or if a GPS needed a USB connection. Am I on the right track? I need to reread through all the stuff to figure out what cables I would need.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:05 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Okay, so here is wot I am trying out based off of what you said.

I just ordered a MicroA Male to MicroAB Female adapter. I also ordered a MicroB Male to USBA Female adapter. If I use both of those then will my Archos be able to be a USB host device? Can I test this with the A5IT? And would it look like below?

Archos = a>ab = b>A = Flash Drive

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:04 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

The answer is "probably", depending on how exactly the adapters are wired.

Here's how it works:
The 101 has a dedicated standard size female USB host adapter PLUS a micro-b female slave adapter.

The rest (70,43,32,28) have a single USB micro-a/b female adapter. Micro-a/b female means it fits either a micro-a or a micro b male USB adapter
If a micro-a male is plugged in, the tablet acts as a host, if a micro-b is plugged in, it acts as a slave.
There are 2 differences between a micro-a & a micro-b male.
1) The shape is different: square corners for micro-a, rounded corners for micro-b.
2) Pin 4 is electrically different: floating (unattached) for micro-b & grounded for micro-a.

A micro-b male can work as a micro-a male if it is modified to ground pin 4 by attaching it to pin 5 (the normal ground pin). This is what is shown in the reference above: http://www.hkepc.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=1524588

I hope I have all this straight. As I understand this, it is a portion of the USB 3.0 spec. that has been back-adapted for USB 2.0.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:59 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

rap wrote:
So this would be if say you wanted to hook up an external harddrive to your Archos or I was wondering if I hook up my camera and download pictures when traveling. Other things I could see would be hooking up a USB thumb drive or if a GPS needed a USB connection. Am I on the right track? I need to reread through all the stuff to figure out what cables I would need.

You're right....all the above you mentioned will need a micro a male cable to be connected in order to put the gen8 devices with ab female usb into host mode.

Last edited by bhmm on Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:07 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

humulos wrote:
Okay, so here is wot I am trying out based off of what you said.

I just ordered a MicroA Male to MicroAB Female adapter. I also ordered a MicroB Male to USBA Female adapter. If I use both of those then will my Archos be able to be a USB host device? Can I test this with the A5IT? And would it look like below?

Archos = a>ab = b>A = Flash Drive

You're right ...that should work. The first microA to microAB will put the archos into host mode.....after all you need it's something wich allow you to connect the right cable to the ab. the Second the microB male to USBA (which I think you mean the standard USB A female) then will give you the option of connecting all the type of cables we usually use from HDD, phone, Camera ....to connect into the computer.

That should work.... btw, you can not test this on A5IT. No micro AB female receptacle.

Last edited by bhmm on Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:56 am 
Archos User
Archos User

@bhmm & @withfeeling

Thanks I think I understand now. I've never dealt with micro A before and didn't realize you could have one port fit both. The good news is my existing car charger for my cell phone should work to charge it. I don't anticipate doing a lot of hosting but I'll have to pick up an adapter to have for the occasional use.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:17 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

bhmm wrote:
gibbon wrote:

No, not at all what I was posting about. There's a USB cable included to use gen 8 as a slave to a computer and moving data & synching.

We talking about for a cable or adapter needed to connect any other device as slave to Archos gen 8. (Host mode) thus your archos will act like a computer.

thats what i was talking about. Its a bit disapointing that it doesnt come with one of those. normal usb cable... meh. who cares? I've got about 20 of those kicking about :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:30 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

gibbon wrote:
bhmm wrote:
gibbon wrote:

thats what i was talking about. Its a bit disapointing that it doesnt come with one of those. normal usb cable... meh. who cares? I've got about 20 of those kicking about :)

Sorry did not see "host"....getting old!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:44 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

The 28, 32, & 43 sort of need to come with a regular USB cable so you can charge the tablet.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:43 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

bhmm wrote:
You're right ...that should work. The first microA to microAB will put the archos into host mode.....after all you need it's something wich allow you to connect the right cable to the ab. the Second the microB male to USBA (which I think you mean the standard USB A female) then will give you the option of connecting all the type of cables we usually use from HDD, phone, Camera ....to connect into the computer.

That should work.... btw, you can not test this on A5IT. No micro AB female receptacle.

Beautiful! Thank your for that information! And yeah, I guess I should have figured that it wouldn't work on the A5IT, I looked at it afterwords and saw that it did not look like the Micro A plug, just B.

This will look a little wonky, but I am just glad it will work! It will even be easier than carrying around the mini dock, lol.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:38 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

@bhmm:

Please keep us posted on the status of which USB host cable works. I definitely was planning this thumb drive setup to add storage to my A70 that just got shipped, but the mechanics of the USB hookup was confusing me a bit. Thanks for the info!

P.S. - There's a good 16GB Patriot drive on sale at the 'Egg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820220253

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:41 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Ordered this from http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0027Y ... os_product. Hopefully this will allow it to read my flash drive

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:58 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Unfortunately, if that device is properly labeled, and it appears from the connector shape in the picture that it is, it won't work for your purpose.

You need to convert from micro-a male to standard female. Probably, if you front that connector with one that converts micro-a male to micro a/b female, that would work. There is a link somewhere around here to one of those from Amazon.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:16 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Found it.

The way it is supposed to work is that a micro-a male tells the USB port to act as a host and then you need to figure out how to plug in your hub or device.

Amazon has this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002QWIXUO/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=A2JSBUBRVPP4SX

It has micro-a male and micro a/b female.

Then, plugging in the micro-b male from the device you suggest:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0027YYMU6/ref=ox_ya_os_product

would provide a standard female for a thumb drive.

That's the way it's documented, we won't know what exactly works until this stuff is tried. :doubt:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:30 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

erm1001 wrote:
Ordered this from http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0027Y ... os_product. Hopefully this will allow it to read my flash drive

This won't work...I'm sorry....please...go ahead and also order the other one the one in my previous link...I've also re-pasted the link below

You do need both of THEM TWO as Humulos intend to do..(see his post above)...

Too bad you will have to pay shipping again...but it's only couple $.

I ordered the one below too (which is MicroA to MicroAB adapter) but and I intend to use it in combination with the multiple shorts MicroB to Standard A cables I already have...(same as the one included Archos in the gen 8 devices). But I will need to convert Standard Type A Male on the end of them to a female....(since it's usually a male) in order to plug in a Usb drive, HDD, keyboard...

To do this all I will need is a gender changer for $3.00. I can find this at my local Frys for $3.00

For you since you already ordered the MicroB Male to StandardA Female.. now you need to order form the same company the MicroA Male to MicroAB Female. Then you can put them together as Humulos intend to do.

Here's the extra one you will need to combine with the one you already ordered:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002QW ... ss_product

Hope that helps