Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:11 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: External battery packs
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:19 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Hey all.. I was wondering if any of you have seen any specs on the 101 charger??? im taking a long trip and would like to get a external battery pack that can charge the internal battery when it gets low, but i need to know what the device requires for it to charge..

Also, if anyone has any clues on what might be compatibility battery packs or knows if Archos will sell spare battery, ideal if possible, that would be great to..

Thanks..

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:25 am 
Archos User
Archos User

sorry to post again so quick..

I have one of these for th ipod/iphone, camera USB devices..
http://www.amazon.com/Kensington-Portab ... 122&sr=8-4

do you think this would work for the Archos?? Or is it over kill.. Says it can power a laptop..
http://www.tekkeon.com/products-mypowerall.html

thanks again..

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:03 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Most laptops use more voltage than 12V.
I have a spare battery with solar power charger but never used it power anything else than cooling fans.
As the 101 and 70 have wall socket chargers they may need more voltage than 12V.
I would say that wait for the final product to come out and take careful note the voltage used and the amps required.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:43 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

I would like to know as well.

I have an engergizer xp8000 that is 8000mAh(30WH) and I am hoping it can charge the 101 as well. It will charge most netbooks and a few small laptops, as well as any usb device.

It has outputs at 5V(1000mA), 16V-19V(2000mA) and 9V-12V(3000mA)

Does anyone have the Archos 7 tablet and can tell us what the charger outputs?

maybe if possible a measurement of the charge tip?

I am guessing the 101 will not be able to charge via usb, but I could be wrong.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:46 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I tried getting this info from cajl (who has an advance 70 unit), but he didn't answer. You can try asking him yourself in the Gen8 General forum. Anyway, you'd also need to have the correct tip.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:04 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

d00b wrote:
I tried getting this info from cajl (who has an advance 70 unit), but he didn't answer. You can try asking him yourself in the Gen8 General forum. Anyway, you'd also need to have the correct tip.

taken from the Gen8 FAQs thread

Quote:
Make sure that your battery is completely charged by connecting it to its power adapter (ARCHOS 70, 101) or to your computer (ARCHOS 28, 32, 43) (or by using a USB style wall charger) for 8 hours or until the green charging indicator light blinks. If using a USB wall charger, make sure it is rated 5 volts 1A (1000 mA).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:06 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

zandoli wrote:
d00b wrote:

taken from the Gen8 FAQs thread

Quote:
Make sure that your battery is completely charged by connecting it to its power adapter (ARCHOS 70, 101) or to your computer (ARCHOS 28, 32, 43) (or by using a USB style wall charger) for 8 hours or until the green charging indicator light blinks. If using a USB wall charger, make sure it is rated 5 volts 1A (1000 mA).

If I am not mistaken 70 and 101 cannot be charged by USB.
From me manual: 15. Power connector: To connect the supplied power charger/adapter.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:14 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I understand that to mean you have the option for the 70 an 101.
I am assuming that the power adapter will have the same rating as suggested for usb chargers.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:38 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

if it charges at 1A there is a chance 70 and 101 will charge from usb.

From the FAQ
http://www.archos.com/support/support_t ... us&lang=en

Quote:
Is it possible to charge the ARCHOS with a standard USB power adapter?
Yes. There are commercially available charger/adapters that plug into a wall outlet or your car cigarette lighter which have a USB port which will charge your device. Only purchase ones from a reputable brand. Some do not charge as well as others.

but it also says
Quote:
The battery of my ARCHOS is completely drained and the device will not charge.
If the battery is completely drained, charge it by connecting it to the USB port of your computer (ARCHOS 28, 32, 43) or the charger/adapter (ARCHOS 70,101), but do not attempt to start the unit with the power on/off button. When the unit gets enough power it will start by itself (this could take a few hours). Even when started, do not use it until it is fully charged.

so I'm eagerly awaiting a release model to find out for sure.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:22 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

jkajolin wrote:
Most laptops use more voltage than 12V.
I have a spare battery with solar power charger but never used it power anything else than cooling fans.
As the 101 and 70 have wall socket chargers they may need more voltage than 12V.
I would say that wait for the final product to come out and take careful note the voltage used and the amps required.

Why not try this solar laptop charger http://www.espow.com/wholesale-electric ... aptop.html
? ;)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:41 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Spam dudes are actually reading forum threads and being on-topic nowadays.. shock..

Still is spam..

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:54 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

just a problem
do have the good adaptateur

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:40 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Yea its spam but my brother-in-law has a solar device.. Its ok but i like battery backup... Its a real pain trying to charge you phone while at dinner and half hanging out the window so the solar panels get enough light..

Post subject: External Battery - 101
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:50 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Hey all.. do you think this would work??? its 5v @ 5000mAh

http://www.amazon.com/New-Super-pack-IM ... 187&sr=1-7

There was also a tekra?? one i saw that had a usb port on it as well..

I found out that some of the cables that came with my old external drive enclosor are the same as the 101 charging cable.. These are the old cases that had 2 usb cords, one for data and the other was used as a power supply..

My thought is use that cord with one of theses charges, since the one that came with the device is only 5v.. the issue is the 2A part.. not sure it they can output that much..

EDIT: Found the other company... Tekkeon - http://www.tekkeon.com/products-mypall-specs.html the (MP3450 R2)

thanks again..

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:03 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

at first glace I don't think that would work.
I've read that you can't charge the 101 through USB, only through its AC adapter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:48 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Ive bought cheap battery charging units like that before and none ever last long or even charge long. Please do not waste your money on them

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:35 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

tomt92 wrote:
Hey all.. do you think this would work??? its 5v @ 5000mAh

http://www.amazon.com/New-Super-pack-IM ... 187&sr=1-7

thanks again..

Oh, thank you! :)

My Son, my partner, and I have HTC EVO 4G and we're using the above external battery with GREAT success! We're very happy (been using the external batteries since August 2010).

NOTE: I tried the larger battery myself (IMP-880) with great dissatisfaction!! There are hardware issues for the HTC EVO and the IMP-880 that do not exist with the IMP-500. The manufacturer's USA representative worked hard to resolve them and when everything failed, they sent me an IMP-500 and the difference in price. Their support turned out to be great for me, your mileage hopefully would be the same.

Bottom line: At least in the short term this is a great device. Just remember its warranty is only for 500 or so charges. I use when I need to use it, which is typically after I've drained my two batteries. The HTC EVO 4G is a triple power hog, IMHO!

BTW, does anyone have experience actually trying this external battery pack with an Archos Internet Tablet? I have the 70 8GB.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:45 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Here is my new 8GB Archos 70 connected successfully to a Tekkeon 3450 battery (with second battery expansion) and charging. I used a USD $9.95 USB-DC cord mentioned elsewhere on this board from

http://www.newmp3technology.com/adc101.htm

The plug actually fits a bit more snugly than the one on the AC adapter that came with the Archos.

They shipped two of these cords promptly by USPS First-Class from North Carolina to Maryland.

Now I can charge the Archos from any number of power sources that have a USB port including AC adapters made for the iPad. The cord will also work in the car with the appropriate 12v auto to USB converter.

I discovered that the Archos DC plug is 3.5mm O.D. x 1.35mm I.D. It is not an easy plug to find at retail stores. Radio Shack did not have it.

[Note: This setup should work with the 101. I'll know when I get one in early January.]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:02 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

tomt92 wrote:
Hey all.. I was wondering if any of you have seen any specs on the 101 charger??? im taking a long trip and would like to get a external battery pack that can charge the internal battery when it gets low, but i need to know what the device requires for it to charge..

Also, if anyone has any clues on what might be compatibility battery packs or knows if Archos will sell spare battery, ideal if possible, that would be great to..

Thanks..

This works on your car lighter plug.
It says it is for the 101
http://www.newmp3technology.com/mc101.htm

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:57 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Solar chargers are cheap overseas crap. Dont buy one. I thought the same until I DID buy one and although the charger itself would charge, the battery in it was no where NEAR what its quotes to be rated for and therefore barely charges the device. I bought a 3000mah for my DX and it might give 10mins of use. Granted thats good to have in emergency situations but not for everyday all day usage.