Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:58 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:00 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

butterflygirl wrote:

I have used the one below and some 4 port usb 1.0 that my husband got as a giveaway at a convention booth.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00030 ... 0ME8DENY56

butterflygirl wrote:
USB host working fine for me. Have usb wireless mouse and 2 TB drive hooked up through a usb hub now.

Good info...thx again Butterflygirl. Can you test for me if you can have two MSC type devices. Like two hard drives. I tried that and it did not work. I did not try a keyboard and a hard drive. I was not happy since only one thing at time which defeats the purpose of a hub. Then again as somebody commented on my post, that may be a limitation of the Android OS and not Archos one. BUt it's worth it to know since you've tried two different devices types and had good results, to test if you can get two HDD or two Thumb Drives
The hub I used already has power cable included. It's this one below

http://www.microcenter.com/single_produ ... id=0332115

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:51 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I tried two ext3 hdd earlier this weekend with a laser mouse. A70 froze when I plugged in second harddrive into the powered hub.

Had non powered usb 1 hub hooked up to wireless laser mouse and 2 tb ntfs drive on my A101 and output to tv via hdmi. Worked like a charm.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:44 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thank you you guys for your very useful topics actually.

I am thinking of buying an Archos 70 however the main concern I am having is that if I am abe to connect 3G USB Modem or external HDD (1TB Samsung - No Power Source- Powered by USB).

Having ready your topics, I understand that I may be able to connect these devices via a Powere USB Hub, right? not at the same time may be but a single device at a time?

your kind suggestions would be much appreciated

Thanks alot

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:48 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

mcson wrote:
Thank you you guys for your very useful topics actually.

I am thinking of buying an Archos 70 however the main concern I am having is that if I am abe to connect 3G USB Modem or external HDD (1TB Samsung - No Power Source- Powered by USB).

Having ready your topics, I understand that I may be able to connect these devices via a Powere USB Hub, right? not at the same time may be but a single device at a time?

your kind suggestions would be much appreciated

Thanks alot

You will need the host cable mentioned earlier in this thread. I don't think usb 3g is supported, but don't know for sure. I use a sprint wifi hotspot. You will either have to use a powered hub or will need to supply external power to your hardrive with y-cable and usb battery.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:33 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Thanks to all the people in the know here for the input. I just ordered the Digi-Key adapter provided by the OP. Stopped the order on an HP flash drive per bhmm's testing. Got the Transcend card reader suggested by Butterfly girl. Then I got a 16GB SD card for data transfer instead of a flash drive. Would not have figured all this out without your input, so thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:51 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

This combo is working for me right now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Micro-USB-Host-OTG- ... 3a61976892

http://www.amazon.com/Apricorn-Power-Ad ... 148&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/New-Trent-IMP1000 ... 219&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/New-Trent-IMP1000 ... 219&sr=1-1

The hard drive is formatted as ext3. For the first time today I have had an issue where the archos thinks it is plugged into a computer rather than having external storage plugged in. It seems to work better if you make sure that the hard dirve has power before you plug it into the archos.

I know this is an expensive combination, but just thought I would share.

edit: This is on an A70 still running Eclair.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:59 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I think I know why the A70 is so picky in host mode. It's because of the 100 mA power limit on its OTG port. I confirmed this by making an OTG cable that draws power from an AC adapter. With this cable, the A70 works fine will all of the USB memory sticks that I have. My 2 no-name USB hubs work as well.

In theory, a 2.5" USB HDD should work but I found that the A70 does not detect it unless I turn on the power to the HDD before plugging it into the OTG cable. Plugging it directly into the cable doesn't work even though the external power supply that I used (5V 2A) is fully capable of powering the HDD.

Another thing is the A70 only supports 1 external storage device at any time (/dev/sda). As some have found out, plugging a 2nd memory stick into an external hub causes the A70 to dismount the 1st device.

Also, if you use a normal Y-cable to supply external power, the A70 sometimes goes into client mode. The +5V from the external power causes the Archos to think it is connected to another host, so it falls back into client mode. In my custom cable, I isolated the external power from pin 1 of the micro USB plug to prevent it flowing back to the A70.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:16 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

shchua wrote:
I think I know why the A70 is so picky in host mode. It's because of the 100 mA power limit on its OTG port. I confirmed this by making an OTG cable that draws power from an AC adapter. With this cable, the A70 works fine will all of the USB memory sticks that I have. My 2 no-name USB hubs work as well.

In theory, a 2.5" USB HDD should work but I found that the A70 does not detect it unless I turn on the power to the HDD before plugging it into the OTG cable. Plugging it directly into the cable doesn't work even though the external power supply that I used (5V 2A) is fully capable of powering the HDD.

Another thing is the A70 only supports 1 external storage device at any time (/dev/sda). As some have found out, plugging a 2nd memory stick into an external hub causes the A70 to dismount the 1st device.

Also, if you use a normal Y-cable to supply external power, the A70 sometimes goes into client mode. The +5V from the external power causes the Archos to think it is connected to another host, so it falls back into client mode. In my custom cable, I isolated the external power from pin 1 of the micro USB plug to prevent it flowing back to the A70.

Great post! Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:31 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Wonder if something like this: http://www.gadgetvenue.com/solar-charge ... -07221747/ would help with the low power issue. It is a solar USB hub. It is hard to get exact information on what exactly the solar on it does to see if it would work. My postulation is that it would go in line between the host cable and the device to provide power to the self-powered items (keyboards, jump drives, card readers) that are not getting enough draw off the USB itself. Anyone tried it, or know if it will (or won't) work?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:47 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

gte105u wrote:
Wonder if something like this: http://www.gadgetvenue.com/solar-charge ... -07221747/ would help with the low power issue. It is a solar USB hub. It is hard to get exact information on what exactly the solar on it does to see if it would work. My postulation is that it would go in line between the host cable and the device to provide power to the self-powered items (keyboards, jump drives, card readers) that are not getting enough draw off the USB itself. Anyone tried it, or know if it will (or won't) work?

Hard to tell from the limited info on the page. You could achieve the same results using a USB power pack to power a USB hub. Just make sure the USB hub can really supply 500 mA per port for high power devices. I have some hubs that claim to do it but have problems powering my USB HDD when externally powered.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:08 am 
Archos User
Archos User

I got my Micro-a usb host from ebay. At first I thought it didn't work until I read that one post about rebooting the A70. I tried that and it works. kinda flacky though but now I can use it with my sd card reader which fits in the case I bought earlier. now if only I can get it to use at lest one of my ipaqs as an external power drive. by the do any of you have an Ipaq or a dell X50/51 that you can try it with. the dell and the high-end ipaqs have two card readers on-board that would be very useful.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:59 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I bought the 8GB 70IT because I saw on another post that I could (probably) use a 500GB 2.5" external HDD providing I have a separate power source to power it. I have a micro-USB host cable, which seems to be working as I can use it to access some USB flash drives. I also already have a couple of Y-shaped USB cables.

So, I've tried connecting the HDD to my device, with only the power branch of the Y cable connected to my PC. But just about every time the Archos device thinks that it is connected to another host, and so asks if I want it to be mounted. I've tried connected every single piece in every possible combination of orders, rebooting the Archos device each time, but it always wants to be the client. Actually, not always. I did manage to get it to see the HDD as a HDD for about 30 seconds, then it went back to being a client :(

I'm pretty sure that my problem is that the extra power is telling the Archos device that it is connected to a PC, and so triggering client behaviour. I would be interested to know how to isolate that from the other end of the cable, as suggested previously.

I've contacted Archos support about this issue, they actually replied saying that they are "working on this issue". That sounds like they know that the device isn't acting as a host when users want it to, and maybe are going to be able to fix it. Perhaps a software fix to set host/client behaviour, rather than relying on what's plugged in?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:23 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi All

I have posted on another thread about the same problem with USB sticks and hard drives.

The following is the Archos marketing blurb on their web site,

"The user can easily connect accessories to the ARCHOS 70 internet tablet. By connecting a USB keyboard or BluetoothÔäó, the tablet turns into a real PC, ideal for working with office files. Thanks to the USB host, there is nothing easier than transfering photos or files directly from a mass storage device directly to the device. Cameras, USB keys and USB hard drives are easily a accessible with the Archos 70 internet tablet."

So why all the problems when "there is nothing easier etc...."

I had a reply from Archos in regard to the problems of connecting to the micro USB port on some of their devices, the following is the helpful reply,

"Dear Customer,

We inform you that your Archos device is given for working with most of the usb devices available on the marketplace.
Once connected to the Archos, some devices like usb drive or usb key, may not be recognized. The usb connector of the device is not powered like the usb port of your computer, and we recommend to connect an additional power supply on the usb device connected to the Archos, or to use a powered usb hub.

We do not have any compatibility charts about devices compatible or not with the Archos.

Kind Regards,
Archos Technical Support"

So they seem to have gone from "there is nothing easier etc...." to "most of the usb devices ..." and "some devices....may not be recognised" and "we recommend... additional power supply ......or to use a powered usb hub"

I have tried 6 different combinations and only found 2 that work, I guess I must just be unlucky to have chosen the minority of devices that do not work. Interestingly one is a mains powered USB hard drive, so no guarantee there then.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:17 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Apgad wrote:
I bought the 8GB 70IT because I saw on another post that I could (probably) use a 500GB 2.5" external HDD providing I have a separate power source to power it. I have a micro-USB host cable, which seems to be working as I can use it to access some USB flash drives. I also already have a couple of Y-shaped USB cables.

So, I've tried connecting the HDD to my device, with only the power branch of the Y cable connected to my PC. But just about every time the Archos device thinks that it is connected to another host, and so asks if I want it to be mounted. I've tried connected every single piece in every possible combination of orders, rebooting the Archos device each time, but it always wants to be the client. Actually, not always. I did manage to get it to see the HDD as a HDD for about 30 seconds, then it went back to being a client :(

I'm pretty sure that my problem is that the extra power is telling the Archos device that it is connected to a PC, and so triggering client behaviour. I would be interested to know how to isolate that from the other end of the cable, as suggested previously.

I've contacted Archos support about this issue, they actually replied saying that they are "working on this issue". That sounds like they know that the device isn't acting as a host when users want it to, and maybe are going to be able to fix it. Perhaps a software fix to set host/client behaviour, rather than relying on what's plugged in?

I believe the there was a timeout from the USB host function. I also have the same issue but it happens once in a while. i.e when you plug in the HDD (mine is via a powered USB hub), it will mount without issues but when you start browsing the contents in the hdd, at times the HDD will just stop spinning and you lost the 'mount'. But at times it doesn't. Maybe the USB host implementation is not done properly on the A70.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:19 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

solpuerto wrote:
Hi All

I have posted on another thread about the same problem with USB sticks and hard drives.

The following is the Archos marketing blurb on their web site,

"The user can easily connect accessories to the ARCHOS 70 internet tablet. By connecting a USB keyboard or BluetoothÔäó, the tablet turns into a real PC, ideal for working with office files. Thanks to the USB host, there is nothing easier than transfering photos or files directly from a mass storage device directly to the device. Cameras, USB keys and USB hard drives are easily a accessible with the Archos 70 internet tablet."

So why all the problems when "there is nothing easier etc...."

I had a reply from Archos in regard to the problems of connecting to the micro USB port on some of their devices, the following is the helpful reply,

"Dear Customer,

We inform you that your Archos device is given for working with most of the usb devices available on the marketplace.
Once connected to the Archos, some devices like usb drive or usb key, may not be recognized. The usb connector of the device is not powered like the usb port of your computer, and we recommend to connect an additional power supply on the usb device connected to the Archos, or to use a powered usb hub.

We do not have any compatibility charts about devices compatible or not with the Archos.

Kind Regards,
Archos Technical Support"

So they seem to have gone from "there is nothing easier etc...." to "most of the usb devices ..." and "some devices....may not be recognised" and "we recommend... additional power supply ......or to use a powered usb hub"

I have tried 6 different combinations and only found 2 that work, I guess I must just be unlucky to have chosen the minority of devices that do not work. Interestingly one is a mains powered USB hard drive, so no guarantee there then.

I do hope they can fix the power output from the micro USB via firmware. It will be sad if they have fixed that output via hardware. Just need a full 500mA to power all sorts of things together with the digikey adapter. That will be brilliant. Furthermore, most will use external HDD when they are stationary. So doesn't make any sense to limit the power output to 100mA. Not sure what is the reason behind this.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:30 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I bought the following OTG cable from ebay seller business2828 titled Micro USB Host OTG Cable for Palm Treo 800W data sync http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWNX:IT

It came from Hong Kong to NY in 7 days and it works perfect so far. I used a mouse, 2 powered external hard drives and I also plugged in my Sony DSC-H2 camera and was able to go through all the pictures on the card.

The following items didn't work:
Kingston DataTraveler 4gb
Memorex Traveldrive 2gb
Lenovo 8gb thumb drive

I also tried this cheapo card reader I got on ebay:

ImageImage

and it mounted a micro SD, a full sized SD and a memory stick and in the middle of displaying a picture it unmounted with all of them. May be a power issue.

Can anyone recommend a good cheap USB hub that is confirmed to work with the A70? Also, is there some type of USB battery pack anyone is using in place of a powered hub? Any info is appreciated.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:19 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I just ordered the host cable from the Archos site and should have it in a couple of days. The Archos UK site ships from North Carolina ... who would have guessed.

I'll report on how well it works after I get to play with it.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 3:36 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I want to thank bhmm for the earlier post on which drives work on the Archos 70. I purchased the Centon 32 GB USB Drive and it worked great. After a few days though a new update from Archos came out, version 2.3.26. With this firmware update apparently Archos fixed the USB Host issue. Now nearly all of my drives are working. I am happy that they are now working, I wish they would have fixed it before I bought the new drive but that's the way things go I guess.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 5:44 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

richteel, thanks for reporting on this. I had given up on A70 for the full usb of 101. Then I realized I do not use it much and also that I really needed the hard drive space of 70. So now I'm back to it A70. After reading your post I at least tested couple of my flash..and still they are no go. But now they have updated the firmware to give you a message about saying the device require more power. That's nice.
Actually since my former days of A70 I have the digikey and the Transcend Card reader. Much better solution then buying a flash drive since reader can even take mulitple type of cards and also works all the time.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 10:29 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I bought host cable from local store some time ago. The only thing I can get connected is 1TB HDD what is powered by external power source. And nothing else - no flash drives, no memory card readers, no keyboards, no digital cameras...

It is interesting that most of these devices get signal from Archos 70. For example, LED lights go on for some devices like USB mouse, or my digital camera and mobile phone pop out usb host mode menu, but after I choose something it get stuck in "Please Wait" screen. Archos just did not recognize these devices. It also don't show notification that device is incompatible or requires more than 100mA current what it should do after firmware 2.3.20.

Maybe it is a hardware bug.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next