Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Thu May 28, 2020 9:44 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:49 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

zhamilton05 wrote:
@bhmm:

Please keep us posted on the status of which USB host cable works. I definitely was planning this thumb drive setup to add storage to my A70 that just got shipped, but the mechanics of the USB hookup was confusing me a bit. Thanks for the info!

P.S. - There's a good 16GB Patriot drive on sale at the 'Egg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820220253

Thanks Zhamilton05,

I thought why not help...Really very early discussion of this topic about gen I thought I got it figured out...until I tried my thinking on A28 and it did not work...Then I thought there must be a setting I need to turn on the device but no setting anywhere to be found...Then I got all type of cables and adapter..Tried to Y splitter to provide power and nothing worked. Went back to the drawing and started reading the earlier discussions and the internet.. Soo then I realized what I was doing wrong: just the wrong cable that's it. There's no setting to be turned.on..
Then I spent hours and hours scouring the web to get the proper cable from US supplier and not have to wait 15 - 20 from Hong Kong Shipping or buying from Europe.

Glad this helps other..

Btw...Sams also have this Toshiba drive: no mail in rebate to deal with

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/produ ... navAction=

Also I figured...I can also use a card reader (microSD, or full size SD Card) and just plug the cable into the gen 8 device. I found the best price SD Card at Sams too. Checked Amazon, Best Buy, Frys, Costco and everything else...

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/produ ... navAction=

Getting my A70 tomorrow...I think I will also get all the two cables too. Will surely post the results.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:41 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Any thoughts on this set from ebay? The usb host cable is micro b to usb female and the video cable is an hdmi to mini hdmi. Seems like the perfect accessory set for the 70.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Original-HDMI-USB-Cable-CA156-CA157-Nokia-N8-/120638646312?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item1c169fa828

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:38 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

snocrash wrote:
Any thoughts on this set from ebay? The usb host cable is micro b to usb female and the video cable is an hdmi to mini hdmi. Seems like the perfect accessory set for the 70.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Original-HDMI-USB-Cable-CA156-CA157-Nokia-N8-/120638646312?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item1c169fa828

Snocrash,

How do you even mention microB after the all thread is saying that's the wrong type?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:49 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

From my research, a micro A connector is the USB standard for an OTG cable. A micro B cable can be used provided it has 5 pins and the fifth pin is grounded. The type A cable just ensures that you can't use it on devices that don't have an AB port.

There are several devices that support OTG that only accept a type B cable, the Droid and Nokia N800 are two I know of off the top of my head. One reason I like this particular cable is that I should be able to use to add a keyboard to both my Droid and the A70.

Aside from the shape of the connector and the 5th pin, I'm not aware of any other differences between the micro A and micro B connectors. I'll be the first to admin that I'm bordering on over my head on some of this, so if I did miss something, I definitely want to hear about it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:26 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

bhmm wrote:

Cable from digikey: One of them have the cable Micro A to Standard A female. About $10

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSea ... nt_id=5042

Got this cable in the mail today. Can confirm that it works with my 1. my usb sd/microsd card reader and 2. my FreeAgent 500gb usb portable hard drive formatted with ext3 (with a Y cable and usb battery for power).

Does not seem to work with my A5IT 500gb in either MTP or MSC mode.

Thanks bhmm!!! =D>

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:35 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

butterflygirl wrote:
bhmm wrote:

Cable from digikey: One of them have the cable Micro A to Standard A female. About $10

Got this cable in the mail today. Can confirm that it works with my 1. my usb sd/microsd card reader and 2. my FreeAgent 500gb usb portable hard drive formatted with ext3 (with a Y cable and usb battery for power).

Thanks bhmm!!! =D>

How long did it take to get the cable shipped? I'm traveling in a couple weeks and I'm thinking this might be a better option then that Ebay adapter since it's known to work.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:11 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

snocrash wrote:
butterflygirl wrote:
bhmm wrote:

Thanks bhmm!!! =D>

How long did it take to get the cable shipped? I'm traveling in a couple weeks and I'm thinking this might be a better option then that Ebay adapter since it's known to work.

I ordered it Thur morning with priority shipping ($5). They shipped it same day and I got it today (Sat)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:58 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

butterflygirl wrote:
bhmm wrote:

Thanks bhmm!!! =D>

You're welcome....Received yesterday the cable from digikey and the adapter from amazon. Also got my A70 yesterday... I tested the cable yesterday and it worked..but you need the Y cable for most of the drives, card reader and hdd.
Today I went to Frys and bought a female to female USB adapter to combine with the Adapter Amazon (MicroA male to MicroAB female). Same thing it works too but also you need Y cable to supply power.

Three Amazing facts I discovered:
1. Bluetooth Tethering is working perfectly with my Nokia Nuron Symbian phone on tmobile with unlimited Dataplan for 10.00$. I really expected this to be the case since I've been using this on A5IT. With this I get about 500 kbps of speed ....good enough for my needs...(Not a HD fanboy)
2. I tried USB Tethering...Never got it to work on A5IT..since A5IT does not have any builtin Host mode....Now it worked flawlessly on A70. Got 900 Kbps of speed. On the phone itself I can go up to 1300 kbps WOW....Now I have a second way to do anywhere anytime fast download if needed. All I need is my digikey cable and the short USB MicroB cable for my nokia phone..with these two short cable I'm good.
3. Then I realized if switched my phone to MSC instead of PC Suite (modem mode) I could mount the microsd in my cell phone on A70 host without any need of Y cable....OH... I then realized...it's already battery powered.... So from now on I decided this is an extra way to overcome the the gen 8 lack of storage...and this one does not need any extra Y cable...just these two short cables..And. ...I go every where with my phone....charge it regularly...I"m now planning to buy 2 32gb micro sd one for my phone and the other for my A70. This will give me On The Go, total capacity of 64 gb + 8 = 72 gb. .No messy DVR, Y Cable, Battery power, ...or anything... Just my A70, two short USB cables and my cell phone ..which I do need any way for phone calls, Text messages, GPS (nokia nuron comes with offline free GPS) and internet Tethering....WOW...these two now make a happy couple. Also the battery in this phone is replaceble...
I also have just found out that there may be a way to get my Symbian phone to share it's GPS info with my A70. Working on this to test it. If this works ...wow...I guess Gen 8 is a winner when coupled with the right phone.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:01 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Quote:

I ordered it Thur morning with priority shipping ($5). They shipped it same day and I got it today (Sat)[/quote]

I too used priority shipping...2-3 days...I ordered Tuesday and came in Friday. They are in Minesota and you have to order by 3 pm CT

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:17 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

snocrash wrote:
From my research, a micro A connector is the USB standard for an OTG cable. A micro B cable can be used provided it has 5 pins and the fifth pin is grounded. The type A cable just ensures that you can't use it on devices that don't have an AB port.

There are several devices that support OTG that only accept a type B cable, the Droid and Nokia N800 are two I know of off the top of my head. One reason I like this particular cable is that I should be able to use to add a keyboard to both my Droid and the A70.

Aside from the shape of the connector and the 5th pin, I'm not aware of any other differences between the micro A and micro B connectors. I'll be the first to admin that I'm bordering on over my head on some of this, so if I did miss something, I definitely want to hear about it.

Snocrash...You're perfectly right...It's nothing with the shape...as you've seen, some people are able to get a microB and do surgery on it and ground the Pin Id in order for it to act like microA... But that's not the standard...I believe N800 was not true OTG...N810 is true OTG and use the standard microAB receptacle...Go ahead and try...Why not just have both two cables. You already probably have the other one for your Droid. You may end up having to do surgery to ground the ID pin....soldering,,...The guy Vrb who posted in here about CA157 has since edited his post. Not sure why...before he claimed doing surgery on it before it could work. And again you're dealing with ordering from Hong Kong. No easy return...It's already hard for me to return anything $5 or less in the states because of shipping hassle.....How do I do that for Hong Kong. Good luck!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:56 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Soooo...just to be clear...bhmm and butterflygirl are saying that if we buy the digi-key adapter cable, we'll be able to use low-power devices like SD readers, USB thumb drives, and perhaps mice/keyboards directly from our Archos 8th Gen tablets 32, 43, & 70 (the 101 supplies more power, I've read). BUT, if we want to run hard drives off the smaller tablets, then we'll need...a Y cable and extra power source...is that correct?

Could someone post a couple of photos, showing like a thumb drive connected and then an HDD, too? So we can compare our own setups?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:58 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

In my case I have not been able to find a low-power device wich works out of the box. Have tried SD reader, thumb Drives and they have not worked. (Butterflygirl can you post the details of the type and model of the thum drive with worked for you?)
But I've used powered HDD, FAT32, and it worked. A Free Agent 320 GB Seagate would not work but the A70 would say it's damaged because it was NTFS. It gives a notification...if you click on this it give you the option to format it. I did so and it formatted it for me in FAT32 and then mounted it fine. But Tried the same with a powered WD 500 GB and it would not be able to format it.
Also SD card in my cell phone mount fine. without external power..But remember the cell phone is already battery powered. All I do I put the phone in MSC mode.
In addition the same cable allows me to connect to my phone and do USB Tethering. I then have to put my phone in PC mode. (modem mode)

So the USB Cable is fine. But Thumb drives, SD card reader, SSD, ...are tricky... It will probably be Try & Errors to come up with the one which work without power. For me I've decided I don't need SSD anymore. I wil just use the micro SD in my cell phone as extra storage and have bigger HHD portable for more. This way I do not have to carry something extra with me. Always have my cell. By the way I successfully used my cell phone gps to feed gps info to A70 and use google maps on A70 with navigation and turn by turn guidance.

So Everyting my A70 lacks I can get from the phone: voice, text msgs, internet tethering, gps, FM Radio, extra storage

Some type of cable will allow you to power thumb drive to. But the one I have is to the Y cable to power HDD with MiniB female port. I do have another one Y cable which has two TypeA female on both side but I can not find it.

Don't know How to attach photos here. Hope this help

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:57 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Take a look at this demonstration of a DIY cable:

http://www.hkepc.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=1524588

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:43 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

zhamilton05 wrote:
Soooo...just to be clear...bhmm and butterflygirl are saying that if we buy the digi-key adapter cable, we'll be able to use low-power devices like SD readers, USB thumb drives, and perhaps mice/keyboards directly from our Archos 8th Gen tablets 32, 43, & 70 (the 101 supplies more power, I've read). BUT, if we want to run hard drives off the smaller tablets, then we'll need...a Y cable and extra power source...is that correct?

Could someone post a couple of photos, showing like a thumb drive connected and then an HDD, too? So we can compare our own setups?

Had to RMA my unit because of defective screen, so no photos, sorry.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:48 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

@bhmm

My USB card reader is by Transcend.

http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-Flash-M ... 433&sr=8-2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:59 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

fyi, i just recieved the digikey cable today. initially nothing was recognized, until i did a reboot w/ a powered hd (wd mybook) plugged in, then it saw it. with the just the cable it would also mount my sd card reader, however it wouldn't mount any of my sandisk cruizers (2gb & 4gb). i put a powered hub on in, and i could see the cruisers. however, it did not appear to see 2 devices plugged in (sd and usb stick) saw the first plugged, ignored the second. could be flaky hub though, not sure, its old. tried using iphone usb cable, no reaction from phone until plugged into hub, then powers, but doesn't mount. after playing w/ iphone for a bit, trying to usb tether, it seems to start ignoring the usb completely, doesn't see anything plugged in. starts working again after reboot. gonna have to dig out my big sd cards, or find a usb flash w/ much lower power draw.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:38 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I went to Frys and bought a random sample of USB flash Drive and at Walmart. Here are the results...As I mentioned earlier it seems like depending on power consumption, one really have to try ...No assuming low capacity USB flash drive will work.. Earlier I did have a friend's on 1GB usb drive which would not be recognized.

DaneElec 1G ...No go..(bought in France)
ADATA 4GB ...OK....but reported as Damaged and ask reformat...On Computer it says it's FAT32. It should have worked... Fry's
Poloroid 4GB ...No go (Fry's)
Kingston 4GB...No go (Fry's)
PNY 4GB...OK ...(Walmart)
PNY 8GB...No go (Walmart)
HP 8G...No go (Fry's)
Kingston 8G...No go (Fry's)
Centon DataStick Pro 16GB....OK.....(Surprising)...Was quite happy to find a high capacity one which works..

I will see if I can test the Centon Pro 32GB ..to see if it works..
Ordered the adapter mentined by Butterfly above....Once it's here I will do more tests...

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:44 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I am becoming worried that the 100mA that the 70,43,32,28 supply will not be enough for thumb drives. The data sheets I have seen don't specify peak current requirements. The only number I saw was for some Toshiba thumb drives that had a current requirement of 60-80mA (typ.). It didn't specify the peak current requirement.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:15 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

withfeeling wrote:
I am becoming worried that the 100mA that the 70,43,32,28 supply will not be enough for thumb drives. The data sheets I have seen don't specify peak current requirements. The only number I saw was for some Toshiba thumb drives that had a current requirement of 60-80mA (typ.). It didn't specify the peak current requirement.

Not sure if it's really 100mA or it's the flash drives manufacturers who are to blame. Don't know how to mesure a power from a USB port. I would do it. It's surprising so many of flash drive would not work..Even ones made by the giant SANDISK and the one reported by Toshiba to be very low power.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:27 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

bhmm wrote:
I went to Frys and bought a random sample of USB flash Drive and at Walmart. Here are the results...As I mentioned earlier it seems like depending on power consumption, one really have to try ...No assuming low capacity USB flash drive will work.. Earlier I did have a friend's on 1GB usb drive which would not be recognized.

DaneElec 1G ...No go..(bought in France)
ADATA 4GB ...OK....but reported as Damaged and ask reformat...On Computer it says it's FAT32. It should have worked... Fry's
Poloroid 4GB ...No go (Fry's)
Kingston 4GB...No go (Fry's)
PNY 4GB...OK ...(Walmart)
PNY 8GB...No go (Walmart)
HP 8G...No go (Fry's)
Kingston 8G...No go (Fry's)
Centon DataStick Pro 16GB....OK.....(Surprising)...Was quite happy to find a high capacity one which works..

I will see if I can test the Centon Pro 32GB ..to see if it works..
Ordered the adapter mentined by Butterfly above....Once it's here I will do more tests...

Thanks!

More Testing done today. Got my 32GB Micro SD C2 from Amazon. Also Got the same card reader Butterfly mentioned working (thanks Butterfly for passing on this info). Here the results:

Centon DataStick Pro 32GB ...OK...(Yeah...Centon seems to be very good to get this line to work with minimum power requirements..I'm impressed) ....
Transcend Card Reader - TS-RDP5K...: OK works perfectly with every I've thrown it to.... All of these would not work with my other two usb card readers which work on my computer. Tested it with 32 GB SD (Centon), 4 GB Micro SD (Kingstone), 32 GB Micro SD,... and all worked.

Thanks Butterfly for the info. I've made up my mind: instead of using flash drives, I will just use SD, Micro SD with my Transcend Card Reader. This avoids me to keep guessing and testing. Also it allows me to use different format in addition to the fact that the cards are more portable and I can have a few in my A70 Cases and only one card reader to access them all when needed. This compared to have to carry thumb drives..Plus with a card reader..you still have the option of using SDXC once it becomes cheap. I believe I've seen adapters to adapt SDXC to SDHC reader.

Last edited by bhmm on Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next