Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:43 pm

All times are UTC+01:00




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: To Forum Moderators
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:43 pm 
Offline
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:00 am
Posts: 22
What are the chances of having the forum software setting match the ones of the Archos 80 G9 forum.

I constantly have to use the horizontal scroll to read messages. When I use the Archos 80 G9 forum every thing is on my screen and when I zoom, it re-flows properly.

Thanks - John


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: To Forum Moderators
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:34 am 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator

Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:02 am
Posts: 1795
Location: Honolulu
It wraps properly for me, with no scrolling needed. Is it happening for you in all topics here? The only time I see that is when someone posts a wide picture or else there is an ad with a wide picture. That forces the text to flow out to the width of the picture when it is on the same screen.

_________________
a101g9 a70g8 an10g2 sg42 sg5 voy115


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: To Forum Moderators
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:41 am 
Offline
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:00 am
Posts: 22
viking wrote:
It wraps properly for me, with no scrolling needed. Is it happening for you in all topics here? The only time I see that is when someone posts a wide picture or else there is an ad with a wide picture. That forces the text to flow out to the width of the picture when it is on the same screen.

I am on a laptop with a screen resolution of 1366x768 and an entire line of text will not fit on my screen. It probably looks OK on a large high resolution (1920x1080) screen as on a desktop.

Check out this web site and the forums in particular. You will notice that the active screen will fit on practically size LCD screen. Also note what happens when you zoom in. The active screen remains the same size but the text gets larger as it re-flows. This is how HTML was designed to work.

Also notice how the screen appears when you are writing a message. Notice how it re-flows as you zoom.

The problem seems like an easy one to fix. Other forums using the same software are working just fine.

Regards - John


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: To Forum Moderators
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:16 pm 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator

Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:57 pm
Posts: 1903
Location: Nomad
The forum (including this topic) re-flow fine when I zoom in on my 101 G9. Also my wife's netbook has 1366x768 and there are no problems with that either.

I decided to check it out on two devices... but I can't see the problem you're having.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: To Forum Moderators
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:04 pm 
Offline
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:31 pm
Posts: 973
Location: Michigan, USA
Also working fine on my Archos 70, Samsung Galaxy S WiFi 5.0, and my netbook. Only time I have to scroll horizontally is when there is a large picture somewhere on the page that is too wide for the screen, like Harfainx said.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: To Forum Moderators
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:54 pm 
Offline
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:00 am
Posts: 22
I don't think anybody is understanding what the problem is I'll try to be more clear.

I have bad eyes. When I zoom in so that I can read the screen, it does not re-flow and I have to scroll horizontally to read the message. This is a fairly easy fix and the kind of situation HTML was designed to address.

To see what I am talking about, reply to this thread and type several lines of text. Zoom in to increase the text size by holding the control key and either tapping the plus key or turn the mouse scroll wheel. You will notice that the text gets larger, the lines get shorter but say on the screen (re-flow in action).

This is a fairly common problem in web design. I think it might be because the testing is done on large desktop screens by people with good eyes. Just a guess :)

Regards - John


Last edited by jabby on Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
   
 Post subject: Re: To Forum Moderators
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:32 pm 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator

Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:57 pm
Posts: 1903
Location: Nomad
jabby wrote:
it does not re-flow and I have to scroll vertically to read the message.


I think we are understanding what you're saying... but we're saying that we (the ones that responded) are not having this same problem.

What browser are you using? Have you tried different browsers?

Also, I don't think that there are individual settings for the different forum sections (as far as design and layout), so if it's working in one section of the forum, it should be working in all of them.

Which way do you have to scroll again? In your OP you said horizontal, but in your last post you said vertical. You should not have to scroll horizontally in a topic unless there is a large picture that forces the post area to a larger size. You will be doing a lot of vertical scrolling, especially if you zoom in far on a long post. I assume you meant horizontally, as that is what you said in your OP.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: To Forum Moderators
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:40 pm 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator

Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:02 am
Posts: 1795
Location: Honolulu
jabby wrote:
What are the chances of having the forum software setting match the ones of the Archos 80 G9 forum.

I constantly have to use the horizontal scroll to read messages.

I have a crazy idea about what might be going on. Try going into the general gen8 subforum and seeing if it also resists reflow for you. Both that subforum and this one have a very long title compared with a80g9, which probably cannot wrap (in it's link mode) and forces the minimum window width to grow with larger fonts.

I also battle with too small default fonts, but mostly on other sites since I find this one relatively friendly. Since we are on a G2 section, may I reccomend the large font setting of dolphin hd browser on an arnova 10? On my laptop I find I cannot set the default font very large, or else other sites misbehave due to fixed column sizes, etc. So like you. I use the dynamic scale + key (twice) here which is a pain but works well. In reponse to your first post, I tried it about 6 times before the screen hit a limit and required horizontal scroll. It isn't actually a failure to reflow, but the existance of some large irreducable element that widens the screen.

My macbook drives me nuts in this regard. I have the last OS where they were unable to scale the font on system screens, which appear microscopic with the high pixel density. It's can be harder to read than on android devices with their small screens, although apple allows a magnify screen operation. In general there is a war against aging eyes by young programmers, but I didn't think this site was an offender.

_________________
a101g9 a70g8 an10g2 sg42 sg5 voy115


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: To Forum Moderators
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:04 pm 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator

Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:02 am
Posts: 1795
Location: Honolulu
viking wrote:
jabby wrote:
What are the chances of having the forum software setting match the ones of the Archos 80 G9 forum.

I constantly have to use the horizontal scroll to read messages.

I have a crazy idea about what might be going on. Try going into the general gen8 subforum and seeing if it also resists reflow for you. Both that subforum and this one have a very long title compared with a80g9, which probably cannot wrap (in it's link mode) and forces the minimum window width to grow with larger fonts.

I also battle with too small default fonts, but mostly on other sites since I find this one relatively friendly. Since we are on a G2 section, may I reccomend the large font setting of dolphin hd browser on an arnova 10? On my laptop I find I cannot set the default font very large, or else other sites misbehave due to fixed column sizes, etc. So like you. I use the dynamic scale + key (twice) here which is a pain but works well. In reponse to your first post, I tried it about 4 times (compounding the scale) before the screen hit a limit and required horizontal scroll. It isn't actually a failure to reflow, but the existance of some large irreducable element that widens the screen.

My macbook drives me nuts in this regard. I have the last OS where they were unable to scale the font on system screens, which appear microscopic with the high pixel density. It's can be harder to read than on android devices with their small screens, although apple allows a magnify screen operation. In general there is a war against aging eyes by young programmers, but I didn't think this site was an offender.

_________________
a101g9 a70g8 an10g2 sg42 sg5 voy115


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: To Forum Moderators
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:11 pm 
Offline
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:00 am
Posts: 22
Harfainx wrote:
jabby wrote:
it does not re-flow and I have to scroll vertically to read the message.


I think we are understanding what you're saying... but we're saying that we (the ones that responded) are not having this same problem.

What browser are you using? Have you tried different browsers?

Also, I don't think that there are individual settings for the different forum sections (as far as design and layout), so if it's working in one section of the forum, it should be working in all of them.

Which way do you have to scroll again? In your OP you said horizontal, but in your last post you said vertical. You should not have to scroll horizontally in a topic unless there is a large picture that forces the post area to a larger size. You will be doing a lot of vertical scrolling, especially if you zoom in far on a long post. I assume you meant horizontally, as that is what you said in your OP.

Sorry about the mistake,. I did mean horizontal scrolling. BTW, I am not talking about tablets. The pinch zoom on a tablet is not the same thing as re-flow.

I use IE9 and Firefox on a regular basis and installed Chrome to check it using this forum. I checked all three browsers on four different laptops and they all behaved in the same way. The message side of this forum does not re-flow. If you reply to a message, you will be shown a text entry box which does re-flow. It looks like viking is seeing the same thing on his Macbook.

Re-flow is not hard to implement. In fact I ran across a web site that had a CSS generator for this purpose. Just fill in the blanks. Box size, font face and size, colors etc and it will generate the CSS to plug in. BTW, CSS (Cascading Style Sheets) are used to define HTML web pages.

Regards - John


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: To Forum Moderators
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:18 am 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator

Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:02 am
Posts: 1795
Location: Honolulu
jabby wrote:
The message side of this forum does not re-flow. If you reply to a message, you will be shown a text entry box which does re-flow. It looks like viking is seeing the same thing on his Macbook.

NO - absolutely not the case! We are seeing reflow in every subforum, and not just in the posting mode. If not, they are free to speak up. Reflow is always active and depended on by everybody regardless of equipment. You can see the rare time it breaks down when you see every paragraph stretched out in one line that is ten pages wide.

Why didn't you answer me on how the general gen 8 subforum reflowed for you?!? Surely reflow is not the problem - it is the size of the reflow box which is set by certain hidden elements which, when chained together, can exceed the width of the screen. I told how I had to magnify to an absurd degree to reach this point. I was not reporting any problem, but how it worked as it needed to. Also I tried to explain that this breakdown can occur early if certain font expanding approaches interact badly together.

I am moving this post to a more format related subforum, so Arnova subforum can remain device focused and maybe format critics can find each other . Please consider how the problem you percieve may not be at all universal, but rare or even ideosyncratic to you. Not the best approach to jump to conclusions about who is unobservant or to blame, especially if they are spending precious time trying to help.

_________________
a101g9 a70g8 an10g2 sg42 sg5 voy115


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: To Forum Moderators
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:43 am 
Offline
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:00 am
Posts: 22
This isn't very important, so I'll apologize for wasting everyones time and sign off.

Regards - John


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: To Forum Moderators
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:08 pm 
Offline
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:31 pm
Posts: 973
Location: Michigan, USA
Tried again on all my desktop browsers and they all have reflow working. Check out these screenshots for proof. Notice how reflow works until the ad image gets too wide then reflow stops working.
Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Also tried to reply and noticed that the reply page does not have a ad image so you can zoom much closer with reflow still working.
Image

You could always try and block the ad images and see if that helps you but I don't know if that would help.


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 

All times are UTC+01:00


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited