Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:41 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Reporting spam
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:36 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Would it be possible to move the report button to the top of the posts? The vast majority of spam is easy to see and it would allow us to report without having to scroll through the entire post of garbage. Not a huge concern but it might be nice.

Post subject: Re: Reporting spam
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:42 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Just push the "End" key on your keyboard then you wont have to scroll through the entire post.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:24 am 

Thanks for bring up the topic of reporting spam. When any member uses that report button, it makes the time consuming task of cleaning it up just a little bit easier. By flagging the scum a mod will be able to pinpoint the Bozo and and ban the crap spammer.

Also never reply to spam. That just helps to hide it and it makes the finding and banning of the loser more difficult.

Thanks goes out to all the members here that help make this site a nice little community. Using that report button goes a long way to helping keep this site clean.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:35 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Kodiak wrote:
Thanks for bring up the topic of reporting spam. When any member uses that report button, it makes the time consuming task of cleaning it up just a little bit easier. By flagging the scum a mod will be able to pinpoint the Bozo and and ban the crap spammer.

Also never reply to spam. That just helps to hide it and it makes the finding and banning of the loser more difficult.

Thanks goes out to all the members here that help make this site a nice little community. Using that report button goes a long way to helping keep this site clean.

Kodiac, there seems to be a higher degree of spam on this forum compared to many others I partake in.
Is it just a poor old security set up? The captcha should stop this, it certainly stops me whenever I forget my password! :D

Or is it just that the spammers realise this is a popular forum to hit to maximize their audience? ;)

Keep up the good work matey...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:56 pm 

I think its a combo of both. Security measures that are now older, and it is a popular forum.

Char is working on getting the site updated but with so much going on he is doing a lot.

Over the years I have seen this before too. The spammers seem to come in spurts. Boatloads of them for a little while and then a lull in the action till they get their second wind. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:40 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

They often make a bunch of usernames and then wait a while for them to mature, then come back and spam things. I'll bet there is also some sort of Captcha hack out there.