Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:38 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:30 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I might give up trying to fix this template (to finally get question registrations and polls working again), if you have time, please help me pick a cool new design for the forum here: http://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/styles-2/

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:14 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I walked through 8 pages of designs and then I had seen enough. I prefer a simple, clear design.
The Serenity or Hestia (both without color) is fine with me. Please don't select a dark one. It's very tiresome for the eyes.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:25 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

hvdwolf wrote:
I walked through 8 pages of designs and then I had seen enough. I prefer a simple, clear design.
The Serenity or Hestia (both without color) is fine with me. Please don't select a dark one. It's very tiresome for the eyes.

Maybe I'll try more to see if I can fix up the Hestia. If nobody else suggests a new better theme, I hope to have this fixed by tomorrow. Thanks for your help!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:04 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

forgive my opinion being new, but you are going to redesign this forum? One of the first things I noticed was a little lecture about not pointing out spam, yet I see spam popping up everywhere. The polls do not work. The organization here is a little horrid.

Now don't get me wrong, I've noticed, or personally already been helped by awesome mods, admins whatever...I'll call them rulers. So, the rulers here rock the house.

but the house kinda sucks.

I really do like this board, but this has to be my least favorite discussion/bbs software of any site I frequent.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:58 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

I have to agree anything that keeps it clean and easy to read, I also agree that the spammers are getting out of control. I few of the boards I visit restrict new users abit more until they have either gotten a few post or a little time on the since registration that really seems to help.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:50 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

What about adding tapatalk plugin?

RayJr

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:05 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

RayJr wrote:
What about adding tapatalk plugin?

Is there a free and open tapatalk alternative yet?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:57 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I don't believe people understand how difficult it would be to be Charbax. As the webmaster here, he's got people requesting his response on a bunch of these threads. He's got people suggesting new ideas and enhancements for the forum. He's keeping people informed with great replies to a lot of the threads, and he does a great job keeping himself reachable around here. Oh, did I mention he also runs ARMdevices.net also?

Yet people complain that he needs to magically make spammers disappear. Sorry guys, it's not quite like that.

He's trying to get one task handled here- a new theme for the forum. Not too arduous of a task, but something to improve the site a little. I say, give Charbax some support, guys. He knows that spam is a problem. He'll do what he can to fix it. For now, let him get other things done.

Charbax, I looked through some of the styles, and I think my favorite is probably 'prosilver Special Edition.' I agree with hvdwolf in that a clear, simpler design is better than a dark one. As for the tapatalk plugin, I've looked, and I don't think there are any alternatives (at least yet) out there... =(

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:08 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

For my two pence I quite liked Absolution. :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:13 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Hi there, perhaps i am in the minority, but i rather like how it is.....as a newbie, i find it an easy format...... =D>

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:58 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I'd vote for Serenity. Layout made it easy to find info. I also like the larger date field.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:04 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

One in the Serenity series (Cyan is nice) perhaps.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:16 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

lucien.briscoe wrote:
I don't believe people understand how difficult it would be to be Charbax.

What I was suggesting was making things LESS difficult for Charbax and everyone else by upgrading to some decent software.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:20 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Charbax get yourself some more admins. I ran a gamers web/forum for 3 years and having 2 other admins to split the work load made things much easier. Once a week we would meet up online and do stuff or what ever but the forum always had an admin around. How the board looks can be an option left to the user. www.sevenforums.com is a great example of what phpbb can be.

I wish i could offer my years of phpbb forum skills but with out my own pc at this time i wouldn't be much use. Having a dedicated admin to your forums can make things run smoother and leave you to over see your sites better.

Good luck with the changes and remember your site here is growing and will become more then one admin can handle.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:54 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I myself would prefer a forum for small devices being suitably VIEWABLE on small devices!

I have always been dismayed at the use of small, grey fonts on grey backgrounds with tiny selector buttons.