Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:40 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:47 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Sorry Charbax my friend, but this forum is becoming unusable for me. I've had this problem with these Google "clickthroughs" of yours from the change to the new server until last week, but waited until I "renewed" my laptop before passing judgement. I've upgraded Windows to Windows 7, a fresh start, but the problem with this site remains.

For me the site is now not navigable. Every time I click on a link, say the "latest post" link to a thread, I'm stuck waiting for up to a minute while the Status bar at the bottom of the screen displays "Waiting for pagead2.googlesyndication.com to load". Before this, in the bottom bar, I see it scrolling through a bunch of "google-analytics" stuff.

Well, it's been fun, but I just can't stand this nonsense any more. It's taken years to get browsing to be quick and flowing. This site has taken me back about 15 years.

Good luck for the future, I'm sure the site will continue to be helpful to Archos users, new and old (Hi Allen).

Sweetypie.

:cry:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:45 pm 

it must be something on your end, im browing with both of my pcs, htc desire, and my old archos 5 with 0 problems,
there was a posting some years back and it transpired it was his modem or router playing up, your the only report ive seen so i would first look at any changes you have made to your machine / connection.
roy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:28 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I'm browsing on a Win2K machine, a Win7 machine and my A5A, no issues.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:01 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Thanks for the feedback. I only get it on this site. And I get it on every computer. Maybe my router is infected, or my ISP cache or something. But it's almost unusable.

Thanks again for the input. I'll swap my router over for another one and see if it makes any difference.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:53 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Ping pagead2.googlesyndication.com and see if it times out. If it does, it's an ISP issue.

Try putting "127.0.0.1 pagead2.googlesyndication.com" in your HOSTS file. Then restart system.

http://www.windowsreference.com/windows ... ows-vista/

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:21 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

d00b wrote:
Ping pagead2.googlesyndication.com and see if it times out. If it does, it's an ISP issue.

Try putting "127.0.0.1 pagead2.googlesyndication.com" in your HOSTS file. Then restart system.

http://www.windowsreference.com/windows ... ows-vista/

Thanks for the suggestions d00b.

I did this before, and. although it did work, the redirection back to my localhost required me to give my login and password whenever the pagead2.googlesyndication.com link appeared. As it did it every time, it got on my nerves, so I put the hosts file back the way it was.

However, that was before I upgraded to Windows 7. I just tried it again, and now it seems that I'm only asked for my login and password the first time it encounters the link, during a login session. It now seems to remember the authentication until I shut down the computer. So it looks like a useful workaround for the moment.

I tried pinging the address, and yes, it does time out. Do you think there's an ISP cache issue?

Thanks again for the suggestion.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:12 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Before calling the ISP, you may want to check with local friends using the same ISP, to see if they can ping googlesyndication. I doubt it's ISP-wide, since it's very common link.

An easier way (easier than editing the hosts file) is to use an ad blocker. I'm using Firefox w/ AdBlock Plus plugin, and the site is in the filter. AdBlock Plus is available for all except IE, so if you're using IE, it may be worthwile to try an alternate. If you want to stick with IE, you can build your own ad blocker,

http://www.vista4beginners.com/AdBlock- ... Explorer-8

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:34 am 

sorry had to move it here for continuity. nothing to do with the 5. sorry
roy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:17 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

What is your ISP? It seems you may be the only one with this issue.

I am going to upgrade the forum software this week, dunno if that will change anything for your browsing speed here.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:17 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

roylovelock wrote:
sorry had to move it here for continuity. nothing to do with the 5. sorry
roy

No, it's my fault. I wasn't thinking. Charbax' original post about the server was in General too. I'm so used to posting in the A5 I forum that I forgot.