Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:45 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:08 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Browsing this forum became impossible for me today, thanks to the Adsense links, like "Waiting for pagead2.googlesyndication.com", and the rest. The Ad Server is hanging for ages on those links, and that one in particular.

To get over this, I've had to install a Hosts file to redirect all those ad links to my localhost 127.0.0.1. The trouble with this is that I have IIS 7 installed on my computer, and localhost requires Authentication. So I've had to turn off Authentication on my own server, otherwise every time one of your links goes to a page with ads, I get an authentication box appearing, asking for a username and password.

What a performance! And just to get through these ads.

Can we have the old server back? Or find another way of funding the site?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:34 pm 

The last server forum I hosted (through a shared server, renting out space), there was an option to disable ads, but it cost a little more money for the hosting.

I'm not sure how the current forum is being hosted, but I know of a few sites that would work perfectly for hosting a forum like this, and wouldn't have any ads on them. I don't have any issues with the loading, but if it's affecting a lot of people, it might be something to look into.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:26 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I'm the only one with the problem right now, on this forum. But users of other forums have reported the same issue with Adsense servers serving ads on websites. Apparently the Adsense servers get stuck sometimes.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:24 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

sweetypie wrote:
I'm the only one with the problem right now, on this forum. But users of other forums have reported the same issue with Adsense servers serving ads on websites. Apparently the Adsense servers get stuck sometimes.

Sounds really weird. Does your firefox have some weird ad blocker? I hope you are the only one with this weird prob and we can figure out what is causing it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:35 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Charbax wrote:
sweetypie wrote:

Sounds really weird. Does your firefox have some weird ad blocker? I hope you are the only one with this weird prob and we can figure out what is causing it.

FYI, I'm using IE9 Beta and IE8 on different comps and had no problems, new server is at least 200% faster page load over here in AD.

Cheers Charby.

@sweetypie

Maybe there is a sqiffy DNS server allocated to you that has a problem finding the Adsense IP? Had a problem in the UK house a little over two years ago where every downloaded file was corrupted. After much grief it turned out that the BT handler card in the local exchange needed to be reset after a thunderstorm. Some really obscure things can happen with this tech... Such as at the moment, if I try to add a smiley in the edit box it appears 6 characters back for some reason???

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:09 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Charbax wrote:
sweetypie wrote:

Don't worry about me right now. I'm glad it's only me, for the sake of the forum. In the next few weeks I'm going to reformat the drive on this notebook, and reinstall Windows from scratch.

I have a problem installing any version of Windows on my other, better laptop, so this notebook has become stuffed with everything I use, both day to day and experimental. It needs housekeeping. I'd like to get my Sony Vaio up and running again, but I'm stuck between two versions of Windows, XP and Vista. I can't install XP because the CD doesn't have RAID drivers, and using the F6 method of installing RAID drivers doesn't work. I can't install Vista because it's looking for XP can't find the XP kernel.

The solution seems to be to "slipstream" the XP CD with the RAID drivers, but the instructions I followed didn't work first time. I need to find some clearer "slipstreaming" instructions.

Sigh ...

[ If anybody has clear "Slipstreaming" instructions, I'd be grateful ].