Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:47 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:43 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

..Well.. it May be because of alphabetical order but HEY, number 1 is still number 1! :lol:

We are even more in the world arena than before now, and I think it is a great thing.

I guess we should be on our best behavior now. ;)

Anyway, congratulations guys!

Ken

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:58 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

We're the Biggest English Archos Forum according to Archos!

IMO, the best Archos Fan community! :)

Allen

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:31 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

This is great. Should brush up the wiki more! It is also good to see the 5A on the front page of http://www.archos.com I have been growing tired of that tablet 9 MS thingy.

Last edited by buster8079 on Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:48 am 

well i cannot say im suprised, just remember you guys are what makes this forum one of the best in the world, it maybe simple but its damn effective.
We have worked hard to get where we are now, with the wiki etc the forum is still the life and soul of the community - its just really nice to be finally recognised by archos home page.

We have some good direct information and support now with nz who is now on the site a lot more, Thanks mate!!!

I really would love to know the amount of archos players this site has sold for archos over the last 6 years or so, i know ive sold around 20 -30 just in my personal life - it must be an incredible amount thinking about it.

Ken - its not alphabetical, jbmm is above ├àngstr├Âm, so it could well be we are number 1 lol.

allen - thankyou i personally think your spot on there.

the biggest thanks has to go to charbax though - for those that dont know he is the founder of the forum - archos runs in his veins lol.

heres to another 5years++++

well done everyone lets keep it up!!!!
roy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:40 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

So do you all think that Archos "tech support drones" (as I recall them being referred to here before) use this forum at all?

I mean since Archos publicly acknowledges our community (among others), you would think that its support staff would be informed about it (if they don't already know). And if we give good advice or support at all, then wouldn't the Archos "tech support drones" no longer be drones, especially if they are sophisticated enough to do one of those forever-reminded "forum searches!" What is that fancy phase again: knowledge base?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:54 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Buster - We provide a kind of support which Archos TS can't very easily provide: The perspectives of multiple users with issues and multiple users with fixes with a very fast turn around time.

A Wiki, like ours, is something which a number of companies have started on their own. We beat Archos to it. With a wiki you can have so much more than in a manual and keep it up to date easier as the movin hand moves on.

And we don't have to be as "politically correct" as Archos TS. I don't mean to take anything away from Archos TS.

Roy - Thanks for mentioning Charbax, without his passion none of us would be here.

Charbax - Thank you ever so much!!! =D> =D> =D>

Allen

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:46 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:16 pm 

I mean since Archos publicly acknowledges our community (among others), you would think that its support staff would be informed about it (if they don't already know).

I'm sure they do know all about us. A good example is nz's presence. He has made it a point to offer comments and even help some of the members. Do not discount this as I'm sure he (or she) is tremendously busy so it is nice to see him here, taking time out of his day. Now I also believe that this site is a wealth of information and feedback that would be tough to put a price on. Archos would be foolish IMHO to not tap into this resource.

What does surprise me is that Archos's marketing department has not tapped into this golden goose of a community. If they took 10 or 12 units and had some kind of a raffle for the community members they could help buy themselves a tremendous amount of good will toward communities like this. Pennies for pounds of good will in my opinion. Now you might look at this as a shameless attempt to get free merchandise for the community from Archos (you could be right :lol: ) but I do know that even very small gestures of appreciation can go miles to help enhance an entities reputation.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:44 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It's cool Archos is linking here and to the wiki and blog as well! Thanks to the mods, roylovelock, Kodiak, map002, desigunda and thanks to all the forum users for making this forum pretty cool. The potential with Archos is huge, consider following scenarios:

- Archos improves A5A firmware to about 100% stability and with Android 2.1 for full video and 3D acceleration integration. (look forward to my video from Mobile World Congress that I will try to upload tomorrow with Texas Instruments engineers talking about the potential here)

- SDE firmwares generate amazing third party Linux results within months and open developers find Archos tablets to be a really fun platform to develop on, using Archos tablets as kind of development kits for feature packed pocketable Linux tablets.

- Archos keeps releasing products that are better than Apple, for example lower A5A (8GB) price to $179, bring in 1ghz A7A (8GB) for $199 and possibly A4A-phone with contracts or $299 unlocked and A9A for $250 or A10A with Pixel Qi below $300 would be great. If somehow Archos can make sure the products get capacitative, Pixel Qi, built-in HDMI output and full MKV 720p high bitrate playback, then I think the interest for Archos products could only increase rapidly among consumers.

- Maybe it would make sense for Archos and us in the community to organize some kind of Archos Fans fidelization programme, where old users of the forum could send in old Archos devices and get some significant rebates when upgrading to the latest generation Archos devices.

In terms of what I need to do, I really have to spend some time upgrading the forum software, improving the design (remove some of the crappy big ads that make it so it doesn't display right in Archos default browser screen size), see if Wiki and forum username/password/cookies databases can somehow be merged safely and that some features to "Post to wiki" or something like that could be added to the forum if it makes sense. Very important I need to remove that catchpa registration thing which dozens of users have complained about. I need to fix some things for the mods to have smoother moderation tools, especially to get rid of spam by more meaningful bot-proof registration process. The frontpage blog should get some kind of system, maybe also merge with the forum username/password/cookies database and let all forum users submit suggested articles to post on the blog so many more posts would be posted and much sooner after news happens. Maybe we need some IRC channel integrated to the top of the forum using un-bloated Javascript if possible.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:31 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Cheers to ALL. I check this forum daily, and am addicted to my A5IT. I even use the forum with my tablet, and posted 10 or so replies that way. Nothing like it!

This is a GREAT community!

Cheers!
=D>

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:09 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Oh hey, you're welcome Charbax ;)